carat
color
clarity

OMG I did it. Paraiba

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why did I do it?!!

I gave people plenty of chances to snap it up, I willed *someone* anyone (!) to snap it up but they didn't and so I did.

"But I'm supposed to be saving" a distant part of me cries inside! Oh heck.

Just got the 4mm paraiba Yvonne had up. After I was so good about not getting the 3mm one she had up yesterday! Doh!

Screenshot_20170606-180636.png

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you're preaching to the choir, sister! :D

I too managed to hold off on the 3mm yesterday (even though it fits the center of the lily ring..and I want!). Then out of nowhere, bam! She throws up a 5.7mm round. Oh, how the thoughts cycled through my head. You don't need that. You already have a paraiba. You're already in the middle of working on a new project. Nothing worked and I found myself adding that baby to my cart (against my wishes) and checking out. I swear, my hand had a mind of its own. :lol: I can't resist that paraiba glow. :kiss:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, you're preaching to the choir, sister! :D

I too managed to hold off on the 3mm yesterday (even though it fits the center of the lily ring..and I want!). Then out of nowhere, bam! She throws up a 5.7mm round. Oh, how the thoughts cycled through my head. You don't need that. You already have a paraiba. You're already in the middle of working on a new project. Nothing worked and I found myself adding that baby to my cart (against my wishes) and checking out. I swear, my hand had a mind of its own. :lol: I can't resist that paraiba glow. :kiss:

Oh my god. She had a 5.6mm one? WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS!!!!

(Where is a *crying my eyes out* face when you need one)!

Can I ask how much that one went for if it's ok?! I was considering not getting this 4mm to hold out for a 5mm one but wasn't sure how big a price jump it would be.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a huge price jump IMO. $1106 before sale.
To be fair, the 4mm is .27ct and the 5.6mm is .79ct, so I guess that accounts for the price.

Please, for the love of God, stop letting me spend money!!! :-o

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hahaha well now I'm glad you saw it before me (serial stalker here too)! That's a massive price jump but for only around 1mm thats a lot more caret weight too huh.

Plus looking at my 5mm and 4mm stones, visually the 5mm looks much larger then just 1mm difference. Gah! Too much to think about when trying to reconcile pricing and stones.

Elle, you know it's fruitless asking for help.... I'm as sick as you are!!! Let's not think about it too much and just look at that *colour* :D

Do you have any plans for your one then? I'm going to wait for another 4mm one to crop up (take atleast a year for that please Yvonne!) then I have in mind some badass earrings....

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha well now I'm glad you saw it before me (serial stalker here too)! That's a massive price jump but for only around 1mm thats a lot more caret weight too huh.

Plus looking at my 5mm and 4mm stones, visually the 5mm looks much larger then just 1mm difference. Gah! Too much to think about when trying to reconcile pricing and stones.

Elle, you know it's fruitless asking for help.... I'm as sick as you are!!! Let's not think about it too much and just look at that *colour* :D

Do you have any plans for your one then? I'm going to wait for another 4mm one to crop up (take atleast a year for that please Yvonne!) then I have in mind some badass earrings....

I can never figure out why some stones look so much larger (even when the mm difference is pretty close).

I don't have plans for it yet but I've always wanted a round halo ring. ;-)

Right now I'm focusing on how to set a pink spinel I bought. Follow the link of you want to help. :D
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-would-you-set-this-spinel.231397/

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Glad you got it. As for spending money- don't even talk about it. I have one project in the works and I am stalking diamonds again.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theredspinel, congratulations! Just think of this.....maybe it had a jewelry karma and was SUPPOSED to go to you! In China, it is believed by many that jade finds its owner. I believe this about gems too. Seriously, sometimes it's just like that. I wasn't expecting to find my star sapphire ring, but as soon as I saw it, i knew it was meant to be and that not getting it would have been a BIG mistake. Ive done that before, skipped on things that should have been, and it's torturous because one just knows it was the right thing and never forgets that. In my experience,when one gets something really right, that one really loves, it satisfies deeply. One is less likely to want more more more to try to compensate for the unattained, right thing. And in the long run, one can spend less just getting the right thing in the first place because no amount of compensation with other jewelry items/gems will fill that hole. It's deeply psychological.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I want to add that it's lovely that you got a Paraiba! Those are really amazing and I think it will be a great addition to your collection!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is yvonne?!?

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I love that both your thought process mimics mine... 1. OMG pariaba, 2. does it fit into the lily ring, 3. No! Must save money 4. HOW DID THAT GET INTO MY CART?!

Gz on the purchases :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous--!!! So, how will you set it?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous--!!! So, how will you set it?

I've got three mehange spinal pears (meelee) so I've been asking Yvonne to keep an eye out for me for another 3 more. Then I'll keep hounding her to find me another 4mm paraiba like this.. and I'm thinking earrings! Something elaborate, fancy, maybe flowery?? Either dangles or big studs I'm not sure yet.

I always spend waaaay more on setting then the stones I've come to realise. I'm really not a simple jewellery wearing gal!

So once the earrings are done I'd love to wear with this pendant (that I wear right on the base of my neck on a 14" almost invisible chain).

Also attached are the little pears :) and the mint garnets earring project that's now been demoted down the priority list haha. 20170115_122912.jpg 20170114_162658.jpg 20170109_104829.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Paraiba owners! How'd I do in terms of the paraiba??! I got a glowey one right?

I'm glad I didn't jump for some of the other ones she's had up (kept going back and forth over the 3mm cabs she's had for a while) but in the end I didn't see them have as much glow as this one. Or could it just be all those ones have rubbish quality pics and this one doesn't?!

She currently has a 3mm pair up on her page, which would have sufficed for my earrings vision but I would have felt like I settled with those? When I look at this one my face and mind just go "WOW" which I wasn't getting with the other ones. Am I just being duped by a good pic?!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad I didn't jump for some of the other ones she's had up (kept going back and forth over the 3mm cabs she's had for a while) but in the end I didn't see them have as much glow as this one. Or could it just be all those ones have rubbish quality pics and this one doesn't?!

She currently has a 3mm pair up on her page, which would have sufficed for my earrings vision but I would have felt like I settled with those? When I look at this one my face and mind just go "WOW" which I wasn't getting with the other ones. Am I just being duped by a good pic?!

I know the 3mm pair your talking about. They weren't doing for me either. They don't seem to have that life to them that I'm looking for.

Quick heads up, Yvonne posted another 5.6 yesterday. It's .51ct and comes in just under $500, with the discount. I did buy it so that I could get both in a comparison shot (since I bought one in the same mm size that cost twice as much yesterday). You know how fast those babies go. :lol:

Anyway, I'm keeping the larger one (aka: more expensive) because it's a little more green and I like that. :razz: So be on the lookout for the other one (leaning more blue...yay) to come back into the shop this morning. Just in case you want to trade up. :D

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg thanks for the heads up lol! Since you've had it in hand do you think it's nicer then the 4mm one?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know the 3mm pair your talking about. They weren't doing for me either. They don't seem to have that life to them that I'm looking for.

Quick heads up, Yvonne posted another 5.6 yesterday. It's .51ct and comes in just under $500, with the discount. I did buy it so that I could get both in a comparison shot (since I bought one in the same mm size that cost twice as much yesterday). You know how fast those babies go. :lol:

Anyway, I'm keeping the larger one (aka: more expensive) because it's a little more green and I like that. :razz: So be on the lookout for the other one (leaning more blue...yay) to come back into the shop this morning. Just in case you want to trade up. :D

You didn't happen to take pics of both did you? :oops::lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't get to see it in person, unfortunately. I'm on the East Coast so quite a bit away from Vegas.

If you go into the "sold" gems, on her site, you can see a pic of yours and the 5.6mm from yesterday. They look similar in color from the pics but she described the 4mm as straight turquoise and the 5.6mm as more blue than green. Having seen a 4mm paraiba in person, I would probably upgrade to the 5.6 because 4mm was very small to my eye and it's only a couple hundred difference.

On the other hand, you are using them for earrings so you have the challenge of finding a matching gem later. So do what's best for you. ;-)

Hmm...not sure I helped your situation.:lol:

ETA. Here's the link to the 5.6 that will be going back up.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1281882966

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't get to see it in person, unfortunately. I'm on the East Coast so quite a bit away from Vegas.

If you go into the "sold" gems, on her site, you can see a pic of yours and the 5.6mm from yesterday. They look similar in color from the pics but she described the 4mm as straight turquoise and the 5.6mm as more blue than green. Having seen a 4mm paraiba in person, I would probably upgrade to the 5.6 because 4mm was very small to my eye and it's only a couple hundred difference.

On the other hand, you are using them for earrings so you have the challenge of finding a matching gem later. So do what's best for you. ;-)

Hmm...not sure I helped your situation.:lol:

ETA. Here's the link to the 5.6 that will be going back up.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1281882966

Hahahahhaha you're evil and amazing at the same time Elle! I've messaged Yvonne asking her which ones nicer lol.

Ughhhhhh! I don't know what to do now! Of course on one hand....mmmmm bigger (!)

But then you're right I do have to find a matching one later on (and the extra couple hundred now and then later..adds up). But then, hello! Bigger!!

The one you decided to keep, I can totally see why it's double the price. It's like double the saturation it's amazing!!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the paraiba club, theredspinel!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would some call these paraiba's cuprians? What's the difference? They are from paraiba Brazil.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It looks super glowy to me. The color is very tropical see too. It's lovely.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your paraiba would be glowy. :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would some call these paraiba's cuprians? What's the difference? They are from paraiba Brazil.

Ah, the age old debate. I would say (according to what I've seen around here) that technically, the name Paraiba can only be applied to the material coming from Brazil. This would be the gold standard.

Now they also have material coming from Mozambique (and possibly elsewhere..I'm not too sure). This material is also colored with copper. So it is very similar (some would debate that it's the same). This is what I would refer to as cuprian. I don't know what the trades are/are not allowed to say. I've seen plenty of cuprians from Mozambique marketed as paraiba.

That's not to say that the material from Brazil is the only one you should buy. We have quite a few ladies here with Mozambique material that is gorgeous and glowing. It's all about quality of the material. A lower end Brazilian piece isn't going to beat out an upper end Mozambique piece (and vice versa). At least not in my opinion.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The word 'cuprian' only means that it contains the element copper and has nothing to do with the amount of glow or what color the stone is. It comes from the Latin word for copper, "cuprum".
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/cuprian

Paraiba (with capital P) tourmalines are copper-bearing (i.e. Cuprian tourmalines) from the region of Paraiba, Brazil.

Copper-bearing/cuprian tourmalines from other locales such as Mozambique or Nigeria are sometimes called 'paraiba' (small p) in the trade to capitalize on the marketing value of the Paraiba name.

What is generally known as Paraiba tourmalines are all cuprian tourmalines but not all cuprian tourmaline are Paraiba tourmalines. However some vendors will try to sell a Mozambique cuprian tourmaline as 'Paraiba tourmaline from Mozambique' but technically that's incorrect as only cuprian tourmaline from Paraiba, Brazil, can be called Paraiba tourmaline. Sometimes they use 'Paraiba-type' or other similar terms to confuse the buyer.

Edit to add: this is just the strict definition of the terms cuprian and Paraiba tourmaline. However the terms are used interchangeably and sometimes inaccurately for marketing purposes or simply in error hence there is a lot of confusion. It doesn't mean that cuprian tourmaline from Mozambique are worse or better than Paraiba tourmaline from Brazil. As Elle said, each stone should be evaluated on individual merits but if all else being equal, a stone from Paraiba will typically have additional value due to the cachet of the Paraiba origin.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, the age old debate. I would say (according to what I've seen around here) that technically, the name Paraiba can only be applied to the material coming from Brazil. This would be the gold standard.

Now they also have material coming from Mozambique (and possibly elsewhere..I'm not too sure). This material is also colored with copper. So it is very similar (some would debate that it's the same). This is what I would refer to as cuprian. I don't know what the trades are/are not allowed to say. I've seen plenty of cuprians from Mozambique marketed as paraiba.

That's not to say that the material from Brazil is the only one you should buy. We have quite a few ladies here with Mozambique material that is gorgeous and glowing. It's all about quality of the material. A lower end Brazilian piece isn't going to beat out an upper end Mozambique piece (and vice versa). At least not in my opinion.

For the purists, they will only consider Brazilian origin as paraiba. But the trade considers stones with a certain amount of copper as paraiba even coming from other sources. GIA states in their comments that copper-bearing tourmaline is called "paraiba tourmaline" in the trade regardless of source.

The problem on origin is, you may not be guaranteed to get Brazilian material even when you buy from a Brazilian trader. I have talked to some dealers in Bangkok who said that when the Paraiba demand was sky-rocketing, some of their Brazilian sources started buying back all the stones. Nice Mozambique material as well, when they were newly discovered started finding it's way to Brazil and were sold as Brazilian. And coming from Bangkok, things get mixed. The Brazilian supply will not be able to keep up with the demand though, that's for sure.

The Brazilian material tend to be on the blue side rather than green and usually included, and below 2 carats. Mozambique material is also seldom windex blue, but they are cleaner and can come in bigger sizes.

I say as long as it's glowy, that's what matters! It's the glow that made the stone phenomenal. :) I've seen Brazilian stones that also won't make the cut on glow factor.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The word 'cuprian' only means that it contains the element copper and has nothing to do with the amount of glow or what color the stone is. It comes from the Latin word for copper, "cuprum".
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/cuprian

Paraiba (with capital P) tourmalines are copper-bearing (i.e. Cuprian tourmalines) from the Paraiba, Brazil.

Copper-bearing/cuprian tourmalines from other locales such as Mozambique or Nigeria are sometimes called 'paraiba' (small p) in the trade to capitalize on the marketing value of the Paraiba name.

What is generally known as Paraiba tourmalines are all cuprian tourmalines but not all cuprian tourmaline are Paraiba tourmalines. However some vendors will try to sell a Mozambique cuprian tourmaline as 'Paraiba tourmaline from Mozambique' but technically that's incorrect as only cuprian tourmaline from Paraiba, Brazil, can be called Paraiba tourmaline. Sometimes they use 'Paraiba-type' or other similar terms to confuse the buyer.

Very well said Mochiko and may I add that you have one of my favorite cuprian rings around. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results