shape
carat
color
clarity

The race is on...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Awww ladies, your excitement for us is so sweet! Thank you thank you thank you!
36.gif

Date: 4/18/2008 9:06:25 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Yeah, that will be interesting to see how it pans out, but it is great for you guys! New York is such a fun city, and there is SO much to see! Do you know your ''can''t possibly miss'' places to see yet?
1.gif
Without a doubt, Ellis Island. We have actually found my grandfather''s papers on their online database, bawled our eyes out reading them. It''ll be emotional but I want to stand there myself. And one day I''ll take my Dad.

The tourist stuff. Statue of Liberty. Empire State. 5th Avenue. Central Park.

I am setting aside some euros for a pair of plain black Manolo pumps and those will be my only shopping purchase.
9.gif
You can''t buy them in Ireland.

I bet you guys can help us out big time!
36.gif

Flight is booked for June 30. Apparently the airline will honour original dates and times even though they put those seats back on sale again day before yesterday and there was a sale on. So we''ll see if that pans out the same. BF didn''t want me to know the travel dates, it was meant to be a surprise. But when all this blew up in his face he needed to ''consult his lawyer'' so his plans got scuppered
38.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 9:25:02 AM
Author: Delster
Without a doubt, Ellis Island. We have actually found my grandfather''s papers on their online database, bawled our eyes out reading them. It''ll be emotional but I want to stand there myself. And one day I''ll take my Dad.

The tourist stuff. Statue of Liberty. Empire State. 5th Avenue. Central Park.

I am setting aside some euros for a pair of plain black Manolo pumps and those will be my only shopping purchase.
9.gif
You can''t buy them in Ireland.

I bet you guys can help us out big time!
36.gif

Flight is booked for June 30. Apparently the airline will honour original dates and times even though they put those seats back on sale again day before yesterday and there was a sale on. So we''ll see if that pans out the same. BF didn''t want me to know the travel dates, it was meant to be a surprise. But when all this blew up in his face he needed to ''consult his lawyer'' so his plans got scuppered
38.gif
Oh, that will be GREAT!! Ellis Island is very cool--I went as a kid (used to live a few miles outside NYC) and found my family there too. The touristy stuff is way cool too--I did some of it when I brought my boyfriend to NYC last year and it was so much fun! How many days will you be staying? If you plan on going up into the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building to see the views (which are faaaabulous!), you''ll probably have to incorporate a few hours of waiting-in-line time for them, just in case. J and I went up the Empire State Building last April and even though it wasn''t prime tourist season, it was still packed and took us a couple of hours to get up to the observation deck. You probably know that already, but just in case, I thought I''d mention it.
1.gif

Be careful when you go to 5th Avenue--the window shopping is about as good as it gets, but it is soooooo tempting to do more than just look!
11.gif
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2008 9:34:26 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Oh, that will be GREAT!! Ellis Island is very cool--I went as a kid (used to live a few miles outside NYC) and found my family there too. The touristy stuff is way cool too--I did some of it when I brought my boyfriend to NYC last year and it was so much fun! How many days will you be staying? If you plan on going up into the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building to see the views (which are faaaabulous!), you''ll probably have to incorporate a few hours of waiting-in-line time for them, just in case. J and I went up the Empire State Building last April and even though it wasn''t prime tourist season, it was still packed and took us a couple of hours to get up to the observation deck. You probably know that already, but just in case, I thought I''d mention it.
1.gif

Be careful when you go to 5th Avenue--the window shopping is about as good as it gets, but it is soooooo tempting to do more than just look!
11.gif
2.gif
Oh I well believe it!!! Sadly, I have the antidote - a ''grad student at the end of her scholarhip'' bank account, and a credit card limit that''s set too low to buy Manolos on credit
2.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
So I just caught up! How exciting that you do get to go!
9.gif
So happy that this worked out for you both!

And I secretly sing "Eye of the Del" for you when I hear it (and since it''s on my work out song list, it''s about every day. I just about busted out laughing yesterday at the gym.)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoo Delster! That's fab news-I heard it on the radio this morning and thought of you! Was just listening to it on the way home from work too and they were saying that they don't think that many people will take legal action cos they had to say that they thought it was genuine at the time and there's never €5 business seats-I'm dying to see how it will pan out!

If you need a hand booking anything in New York, give me a shout-I go yearly. It's such an amazing city! I hope that he proposes over there for you!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
YAY :) I am so glad they are honouring the flights but I am still hoping they re-up them to first class for you as well :D

You will have a fantastic time :)

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Stephanie you are hilarious! I laughed out loud!!!
9.gif
Keep it up girl, I've got a big deadline in two weeks and I need all the 'work vibes' I can get!
36.gif

Bee I will definitely be taking you up on that!
9.gif
First thing we need to find is a hotel... any recommendations? Someone told BF about the Chelsea Lodge. It ranks #14 on Tripadvisor but the rooms just look sooooo sad. We will be on a budget so we're not sure what our alternatives are. The hotels just seem to be so expensive.

Deelight there's no chance of getting premier class but we are delighted with our economy return flights for €170
36.gif

OK now, ladies, I have an etiquette type question. A family member (let's call her A) is organising a big birthday party for her SO. A asked us to be there and we said of course. We were super excited to go, we love them both and it will be a great night. So before BF booked the flights he ran the dates by A and she never mentioned a problem. Turns out there is a problem (party is on the day we fly home), and A is bummed. It's going to cost us quite a bit of money to change the dates. To boot, BF is upset because now he is unsure if he can propose in New York. A has been very vocal about wanting to get engaged and how SO is dragging his feet. We already know she will be hurt when we get engaged first, and we don't want to rub her nose in it.

Any advice? Would you change your flights to make A's SO's birthday party (what a mouthful!)? And if you did go, would you conceal your engagement until the morning after (which would mean taking off your Leon!
39.gif
)? Or would you ban your (impetuous, impulsive, says-he-can't-hold-on-to-the-ring-for-more-than-a-day) BF from proposing in New York?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2008 6:41:01 AM
Stephanie you are hilarious! I laughed out loud!!!
9.gif
Keep it up girl, I've got a big deadline in two weeks and I need all the 'work vibes' I can get!
36.gif

Bee I will definitely be taking you up on that!
9.gif
First thing we need to find is a hotel... any recommendations? Someone told BF about the Chelsea Lodge. It ranks #14 on Tripadvisor but the rooms just look sooooo sad. We will be on a budget so we're not sure what our alternatives are. The hotels just seem to be so expensive.

Deelight there's no chance of getting premier class but we are delighted with our economy return flights for €170
36.gif

OK now, ladies, I have an etiquette type question. A family member (let's call her A) is organising a big birthday party for her SO. A asked us to be there and we said of course. We were super excited to go, we love them both and it will be a great night. So before BF booked the flights he ran the dates by A and she never mentioned a problem. Turns out there is a problem (party is on the day we fly home), and A is bummed. It's going to cost us quite a bit of money to change the dates. To boot, BF is upset because now he is unsure if he can propose in New York. A has been very vocal about wanting to get engaged and how SO is dragging his feet. We already know she will be hurt when we get engaged first, and we don't want to rub her nose in it.

Any advice? Would you change your flights to make A's SO's birthday party (what a mouthful!)? And if you did go, would you conceal your engagement until the morning after (which would mean taking off your Leon!
39.gif
)? Or would you ban your (impetuous, impulsive, says-he-can't-hold-on-to-the-ring-for-more-than-a-day) BF from proposing in New York?
Del, I would not consider changing the flights. Your BF has already checked with her out of courtesy as to the dates when you will be going to NY, she said nothing at that time, so if she is bummed, that is her own problem. Also I don't see that you should change any of your engagement plans because she might be upset, again it may sound unkind, but that is also her problem. Maybe you can show up at the party late if you return home in time for an hour or so, and leave * The Leon* at home. This is a HUGE time in your life which won't come again, you have both invested a great deal of money, time and thought into it, so make the most of it!!!

It sounds as if whatever you do, A will be upset, so you might as well enjoy your special time to the fullest!!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, that''s what I''m thinking is the best thing to do. There''s not a hope of making the party. We will arrive in to an airport that is a six hour drive from there - at 5am the morning after the party!

I told BF that if we did manage to change the flights that I could wait a few more months for a proposal as I know I''m getting what I want, whereas A can''t get a straight answer out of her SO. BF got very upset, said that I was too kind and that he didn''t want me sacrificing what I want, even just for a couple of months, to placate A.

Looks like it would cost €400 to change the flights (ouch - can''t afford that!). Surely announcing an engagement a day or two after the party would be perfectly A-OK?
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2008 7:00:22 AM
Thanks Lorelei, that's what I'm thinking is the best thing to do. There's not a hope of making the party. We will arrive in to an airport that is a six hour drive from there - at 5am the morning after the party!

I told BF that if we did manage to change the flights that I could wait a few more months for a proposal as I know I'm getting what I want, whereas A can't get a straight answer out of her SO. BF got very upset, said that I was too kind and that he didn't want me sacrificing what I want, even just for a couple of months, to placate A.

Looks like it would cost €400 to change the flights (ouch - can't afford that!). Surely announcing an engagement a day or two after the party would be perfectly A-OK?
1.gif
I absolutely agree with your BF Del, you are too kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't delay your engagement on A's account, why should you even consider it, and what about your lovely BF who is so excited about popping the question to his precious adored Del??? I think you need to forget about delaying anything on anyone else's account, if A is upset, it is no fault of yours!!! Sorry Delly if I am blunt, but I am very fond of you!!

Go to NY as you originally intended, then announce your engagement a day or 2 after the party if you must, then although you have no obligation to A, you have shown plenty of consideration IMO by doing that. 400 Euros is what...over 200 pounds??? Yikes, no way would I change my plans, especially when it will cost good money you could put towards your trip!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Awww Lorelei you are so sweet! Not blunt at all. I really appreciate the support
taverymuch.gif

It would be €430, so about £345. Or $683. BF says he wants to spend that money on either a swanky hotel for our last night, or a pair of Manolos. How lucky am I?!?!?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2008 7:23:49 AM
Awww Lorelei you are so sweet! Not blunt at all. I really appreciate the support
taverymuch.gif

It would be €430, so about £345. Or $683. BF says he wants to spend that money on either a swanky hotel for our last night, or a pair of Manolos. How lucky am I?!?!?
OMG!!!!
23.gif
NO WAY do you cancel your flights, when it will cost that much money!!! Your BF is exactly right, you can do something wonderful with that money! AND you deserve it!!

AND you are welcome!!
emrose.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Yup we just found that out for sure after I posted the first time. Kind of finalised the decision about not changing the dates!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2008 7:43:00 AM
Yup we just found that out for sure after I posted the first time. Kind of finalised the decision about not changing the dates!
Good!!
emthup.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey delster-try radiocityapartments-they're amazing if you're on a budget

eta-I wouldn't change the dates either. Your bf checked with her out of courtesy and she said it was fine so I wouldn't change it.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
No! No changing the plans! (And yes, I waved my arms about a bit..) Just as Lorelei said, it will make A upset no matter the outcome, so just stick with your plans. As for the hotel, what''s your budget and how long are you staying?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
taverymuch.gif

Oooh, both those options sound great! You are going to have an amazing trip, I am so excited for you!! And it is just too sweet that your boyfriend can''t wait to propose to you--I LOVE it!!
36.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Radio City Apartments seem to be booked out for our dates
7.gif

I think I''ll talk to BF tonight about budget and then start a new thread in Hangout
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try the belvedere hotel also-they can have really good special offers.

The hotels that we stayed in last summer were the hotel giraffe and the library hotel and they were amazing but they were pricey so not sure what your budget is but it''s worth a look at them. They had champagne every evening with cheese and crackers.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
All of those look lovely bee! Maybe for our last night we might be able to swing one of them
3.gif
The problem is we''ll be staying eight nights. Really stretches the budget. We are even considering going out of the city for some of that time. We haven''t done too much planning yet I guess.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ll have a ball! We were there for ten days last year and it flew. It is pricey though with the hotels. Give me a shout once you''ve done up a budget and I''ll have a look for you.

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Hey Delster, not sure how much of a budget you are actually on, but when I was NYC on a budget I stayed at the Gershwin hotel and I liked it.

http://www.gershwinhotel.com/english/site1.html

This was a few years ago, so you may want to read some reviews to check up on it.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thanks prettyblues that place looks promising! bee we''re gonna work out a budget this weekend but I reckon we''ll need to stay under $200 a night for sure, even better if it''s under $150.

After a mini-freakout on my part last night at the prices of hotels in New York, I am now banned from searching any more. BF realised I was looking at private rooms in hostels and, em, laid down the law, ha ha! He says that he''s going to search until next Wed and that only then am I allowed to interfere
2.gif

Off now to start a thread in Hangout for ideas of things to do! We have so many New York natives here on PS, I really hope we can get some off the beaten track recommendations
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 7:28:35 AM
Author: Lorelei

taverymuch.gif

OMG!!!!
23.gif
NO WAY do you cancel your flights, when it will cost that much money!!! Your BF is exactly right, you can do something wonderful with that money! AND you deserve it!!

AND you are welcome!!
emrose.gif

omg €170 flights is fantastic :D, I would be ultra delighted with that as well :)

In response to your above question, I think it is so really super sweet of you to think of your family member but I would not change your plans, if she is a typical LIW she will feel how she feels regardless of when the event happens.

I like your BF's way of thinking (mmmm manalo's)
36.gif
that extra money if your lucky could net you a swanky hotel stay for a night and a pair of manolo's - providing they were like on sale for 50% off :) this could happen :D:D:D:D:D

If your on a budget for accommodation a girl from work stayed at hotel/motel chains call Super 8 I don't know how good they are but I did a search for you in Manhattan they are about $240-260 a night include taxes for a room Super 8 Motel Manhattan

It does not look spectacular but it does not look super revolting either :)

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deelight we''ll definitely check that out! I think I stayed in a Super 8 before in a place called Seaside in Oregon. Gorgeous little town. Beeeyoootiful scenery, oh my gosh. I''d love to go back!

And we''re not gonna change our dates. And BF isn''t gonna change his plans, whatever they may be. I don''t know if he''s gonna propose or not but I suspect he is!
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I so hope he does :)

I know your ring will be stunning :D:D:D:D

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Delster - YAY, first of all!

Try the Hotel Beacon - I stayed there last June with a group of girls and it was very nice. It''s pretty affordable, too. It''s on the Upper West Side and it''s very quiet up there in the evening - very comfortable neighborhood.

Also, go to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) instead of the Empire State building - You get better views. You see miles on a clear day and have the Empire State Building and Central Park as your scenery on both sides. From experience, you''ll pay a lot less and have a better experience. You can even book your tickets in advance. :)

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I might be a little biased - but NYC is an amazing place for a proposal!!!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sweetjettagirl for the tips! Here''s hoping BF has the same thought about New York eh?
31.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Dooo dooo it''s the... EYE OF THE TIIIIGERRRRR.........
9.gif
31.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results