shape
carat
color
clarity

The Pricescope Hall of Fame - Iconic Pricescope jewelry

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@yssie I’ve been where you are and I’m so very sorry. Praying for a positive outcome for your mom and grandmother.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness. @mrs-b. Wow.

You girls are the sweetest. I checked out of life for a couple of days, and coming back to PS and seeing these posts - I’m smiling and the smile is real ❤️

What most folks don’t know is that I’ve been having a less than stellar few weeks. Four weeks ago my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My mother is at the age where she’s supposed to have mammograms every other year, but she hadn’t gone since 2019 - so she rushed to get her own imagining done as well. And unfortunately she also has breast cancer.

So within the month I’ve gone from no family history to OMGFamilyHistory. I’m in my mid-thirties but given the situation and new risk profile I went in for an early baseline screen. Got my result day before yesterday - I’m clear.

My grandmother’s genetic testing was negative. And her cancer is… Slow, well-isolated, and responsive to hormone therapies. So she’ll have surgery to remove the one infected area and will take some pills for some unknown time. It’s an excellent outcome, given the diagnosis.

My mother’s still waiting for her genetic results. Her cancer is unfortunately much more severe. It’s ER/PR-, for those who are familiar with this flavour of horror… But is likely (hopefully) HER2+. We’ll know more in a few days. She's having have PET and MRI done next week (and echo week after), and we're of course hoping it hasn’t spread too far yet. But her doctor saw more lymph node activity now than even three weeks ago, so… Well, that would track with the aggressiveness of a HER2+ situation. That's both a curse and a blessing - it's potentially more responsive to targetted drugs, but if the treatment doesn’t work you’re stuck with a quickly-spreading cancer. She’ll start chemo on the 19th, 6 rounds three weeks apart, and then we’ll see what’s next, more chemo and/or surgery and/or radiation or…

Historically people in my family pass in their 60s and 70s. From things like strokes, heart disease, accidents, long-term complications from malnutrition. We don’t have cancer in the family. So the C word is just something I’ve never been worried about. (It has belatedly occurred to me that the reason we don’t have family history is because my ancestors didn’t actually last long enough for cancer to show up... You'd think I'd have considered this before now.)

But... I’m an optimist with this sort of thing, usually. Y'know? I’ve been lucky to not have had serious illness in my immediate family before now. Outside of with my animals, and with *them* my husband is the one preparing for bad news and I’m the one saying - believing - that It Will Be Okay. And I'm usually right. I mean, sometimes they're just very clearly not okay and it's time to let go, but when there are two possible outcomes, one okay and one not... Well, I've been really lucky with my furbabies.

And every step of this with my mum I’ve been similarly confident that what actually happens will be okay. And I've been wrong. The initial mammogram, I was sure she'd be fine since she was fine in 2019. I was sure the biopsy would end up being benign. I was sure the lymph node swelling they saw was due to Covid (which she had and didn't know it). I was sure her cancer would be ER/PR+ like her mother's. So... I'm trying to not get super hopeful for no distal metastasis. Especially since her doctor made a point to say that "statistics don’t determine an individual’s outcome", that doesn't exactly bode well.

My mum is doing as well as one could hope for, I think. She and my dad are approaching all of this shockingly calmly and logically - much more than I know I would. But this is the woman who developed and nurtured a successful career in technology despite following my dad around the world, moving to a new city/country and finding a new job every 6-18 months whilst basically single-parenting me until high school. She's a really strong person with ample history of not giving in to panic. And she’s being treated at a fantastic multidisciplinary institute and we’re lucky to have oncology expertise in my other half’s family for advice, second opinions, and referrals. Her odds are as good as they can be.

Me, I’m discovering a depth of dark humour that I didn’t know I possess. And stress is an excellent weight loss programme. I don’t have siblings and I’m not close with my extended family, and my dad’s family is all in India anyway, so it’s just me and him. But... she's got me and him and we aren’t going anywhere.

The guilt is the worst. I've not been nearly as present as I could - should - have been. I mean, I'm their only child. And I get annoyed that they still treat me like a child. Which they do, but it's partly cultural. And y'know what? I've been behaving like a child. I’ve been so wrapped up in my life and my work and my angsts, for so many years. I’m grateful to have at least some time with her to prioritize changing that, now.

And I’m changing jobs. New company, same industry. I made that decision right before all this cancer news came out. I still think it’s the right choice, for myself and my family, but it’s one more worry.

And my cat has been very sick. Turns out she has E. Coli. Which wasn't noted in the first culture - who knows what happened. She’s on new antibiotics now and doing much better, but three weeks ago we were pretty sure she’d be in an urn on the mantle by New Year.

So that’s the background of the past few weeks.

I’ve posted a couple of times about bling meaning different things to different people at different times. For me bling is escape, respite, relief. I can totally lose myself in planning a project, or admiring a finished jewel, or chasing academic minutiae - I can't think of anything else that can keep me that completely occupied. I used to try to hide it, because it seemed inappropriate to spend so much time and energy and money on something so #useless. But… Why should I? There are certainly worse sins.

To come back to PS after a few days off and see this totally unexpected outpouring of support and encouragement - and y’all had no idea how much this means to me right now. PSers get it. And the fact that I can feel more comfortable with and better understood by PSers than so many people in my day to day, even PSers whom I've not yet met in-person - will never cease to amaze me.

@mrs-b I don’t know what inspired you to write what you did when you did. I know that you've had too many health scares of your own. This week... The sentiment of being kind to others because you don’t know what they’re going though, you are an embodiment of that. My silver lining has been learning how many loving and generous people I've got in my life - so many of whom I wouldn’t know without this forum. mrs-b, PreRaphaelite, diamonds, Missie, dk, LLJsmom, Ally, Ann, Sharon, CCN, RWS, Pomelo, everyone with whom I've chatted off-forum, thank you. I’m so, so grateful for my friends. ❤️

Oh sweet, I am so very sorry to hear all of this news. What utter, utter cr@p you & your loved ones are having to deal with. And the unknown can be a terrifying place.

Your positive attitude will go for miles. And being British, I get dark humour. I wouldn’t be me without it & it really does help. If we don’t laugh, we cry……

We, collectively here, are your family. You can lean on us ANY time you need. Gosh, I wish I could speak to you away from here, my darling & dear friend. You can get me through Missy on Fbook.

Keep your pecker up. You, your mother & your grandmother have got this. Us women are warriors xx

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie -

I've been meaning to do this post for literally years. Nobody on these boards deserves an addition as "an iconic PS jewel" more than you - not just for your pieces and projects - but also for your contributions to others, the hours you've contributed to education and open-handed sharing of expertise, and the type of general good humor and considered thought that makes PriceScope the place that it is.

And for what you're going through right now, I'm sending my love and support. As someone who lost both parents in my 20's and is now fighting a chronic, life-threatening disease in their husband, and who also has had cancer themselves, I utterly understand your fears and all the dark places from whence come all the scary whispers of 'what ifs' and 'if onlys'. But I know your strength of purpose and commitment to process, so I know that both your grandmother and mother are lucky to have you, and I wish all three of you strength, courage, and the very best result possible.

Bless you, my friend - both for your contributions of skill and beauty to these boards, and also as you support your family in the months ahead. Hugs to you. <3

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear of these recent events but will share your optimism in their respective treatments. I am sure you are greatly loved by your family as you are here and love can get you through many things. A new job compounds life but hopefully it will be a good change for you. Big hugs and many warm thoughts coming your way!!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
yssie, I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your family are going through. Add in the challenge of starting a new job, and I can only imagine how stressful this time has been, but everyone is Dealing With It from what you shared. You will all be there for each other, and trusting that you will all come out the other side so to speak will make navigating this perhaps not easier, but more comfortable.

Hard times, challenging times, reminds me of this story I read when I was younger (major paraphrasing here) about how a single 2x4 can hold 50 pounds, but two 2x4s can actually hold 200. The cheesy, yet somehow still comforting message being that we can carry so much more when we know we are not alone, and support one another. You have that support in abundance from your PS family, as well as your IRL one.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you are okay @yssie and sorry that your mom and grandmother have to deal with illness - I hope they will be okay and that soon you will experience the peace of their recovery and put this behind you.

You mentioned that your jewels are perhaps an escape for you, and that is so valuable; please know that many of us experience the photos of your collection as an escape too! Our lives are enriched by seeing such exquisite pieces and marveling over every detail. Mrs.B is quite right that it takes some time to swim in each of your new posts. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe. They are a phenomenon.

Wishing you a courageous start to 2023 - and please never stop!

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
@yssie Best wishes to your family! I know how stressful it must be and I have been there too, the emotional stress is unreal. Not to sound too superstitious but I always believe that our jewelry pieces that we poured so much love into would bring good into our lives. Since you have so many wonderful pieces I hope they all give you the love and blessing that you deserve.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I hope the dark clouds will blow over soon.

You got hit by multiple big/life-changing events in a short period of time; however, you have always come across as being very resilient, knowledgeable and independently minded to deal with anything that is thrown at you.

Sending you some dust and hugs from me and my pets.

DK :))

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I absolutely agree with @mrs-b and the others here! If this is just a sampling of her amazing collection, I am floored.

I just recently discovered Yssie’s genius with Mothra- and what an introduction!

@yssie - I am definitely intrigued by your vision & attention to detail and will explore your collection more, once I am settled from my holiday travels!

Sending well-wishes to you and your family during this difficult time. Cheesy as it may sound, your love for each other will see you through whatever direction life pushes you. Take care!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie - you are a wonder and a marvel, your family is so lucky to have you. Sending you all well wishes, courage, and strength! We are here for you.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie I'm sending positive and caring thoughts for your grandmother, your mom, and for you. That's a lot to deal with all at once. I hope for the best for everyone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yssie, wishing the best for your mum, grandmother, and cat, and sending you gentle hugs.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie I have always looked forward to your contribution, either by posting your creations or helping others with advice and guidance. I am so sorry to hear about your family. Sending you positive energy and thoughts and know that we are all thinking of you.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@yssie your family is in the best hands--I KNOW you've seen to that...because you are a great daughter and granddaughter. Healing vibes across the miles....and much success to you in your new job.

kind regards---Sharon

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Echoing all of the thoughts shared here. Yssie, YOU are the icon on PS—both for your extraordinary collection and for the selfless time you contribute to help others. I’m so sorry that you and your Mom and Grandmother are going through this (and at the same time!). Sending healing vibes to everyone ( including sweet kitty) and hope that your transition into your new company is seamless! Please keep us posted.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
@yssie sending positive thoughts your way! I hope your mom and Grandmom respond to treatment and are doing well.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are here for you. Hugs.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You girls are the sweetest. I checked out of life for a couple of days, and coming back to PS and seeing these posts - I’m smiling and the smile is real ❤️

What most folks don’t know is that I’ve been having a less than stellar few weeks. Four weeks ago my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My mother is at the age where she’s supposed to have mammograms every other year, but she hadn’t gone since 2019 - so she rushed to get her own imagining done as well. And unfortunately she also has breast cancer.

So within the month I’ve gone from no family history to OMGFamilyHistory. I’m in my mid-thirties but given the situation and new risk profile I went in for an early baseline screen. Got my result day before yesterday - I’m clear.

My grandmother’s genetic testing was negative. And her cancer is… Slow, well-isolated, and responsive to hormone therapies. So she’ll have surgery to remove the one infected area and will take some pills for some unknown time. It’s an excellent outcome, given the diagnosis.

My mother’s still waiting for her genetic results. Her cancer is unfortunately much more severe. It’s ER/PR-, for those who are familiar with this flavour of horror… But is likely (hopefully) HER2+. We’ll know more in a few days. She's having have PET and MRI done next week (and echo week after), and we're of course hoping it hasn’t spread too far yet. But her doctor saw more lymph node activity now than even three weeks ago, so… Well, that would track with the aggressiveness of a HER2+ situation. That's both a curse and a blessing - it's potentially more responsive to targetted drugs, but if the treatment doesn’t work you’re stuck with a quickly-spreading cancer. She’ll start chemo on the 19th, 6 rounds three weeks apart, and then we’ll see what’s next, more chemo and/or surgery and/or radiation or…

Historically people in my family pass in their 60s and 70s. From things like strokes, heart disease, accidents, long-term complications from malnutrition. We don’t have cancer in the family. So the C word is just something I’ve never been worried about. (It has belatedly occurred to me that the reason we don’t have family history is because my ancestors didn’t actually last long enough for cancer to show up... You'd think I'd have considered this before now.)

But... I’m an optimist with this sort of thing, usually. Y'know? I’ve been lucky to not have had serious illness in my immediate family before now. Outside of with my animals, and with *them* my husband is the one preparing for bad news and I’m the one saying - believing - that It Will Be Okay. And I'm usually right. I mean, sometimes they're just very clearly not okay and it's time to let go, but when there are two possible outcomes, one okay and one not... Well, I've been really lucky with my furbabies.

And every step of this with my mum I’ve been similarly confident that what actually happens will be okay. And I've been wrong. The initial mammogram, I was sure she'd be fine since she was fine in 2019. I was sure the biopsy would end up being benign. I was sure the lymph node swelling they saw was due to Covid (which she had and didn't know it). I was sure her cancer would be ER/PR+ like her mother's. So... I'm trying to not get super hopeful for no distal metastasis. Especially since her doctor made a point to say that "statistics don’t determine an individual’s outcome", that doesn't exactly bode well.

My mum is doing as well as one could hope for, I think. She and my dad are approaching all of this shockingly calmly and logically - much more than I know I would. But this is the woman who developed and nurtured a successful career in technology despite following my dad around the world, moving to a new city/country and finding a new job every 6-18 months whilst basically single-parenting me until high school. She's a really strong person with ample history of not giving in to panic. And she’s being treated at a fantastic multidisciplinary institute and we’re lucky to have oncology expertise in my other half’s family for advice, second opinions, and referrals. Her odds are as good as they can be.

Me, I’m discovering a depth of dark humour that I didn’t know I possess. And stress is an excellent weight loss programme. I don’t have siblings and I’m not close with my extended family, and my dad’s family is all in India anyway, so it’s just me and him. But... she's got me and him and we aren’t going anywhere.

The guilt is the worst. I've not been nearly as present as I could - should - have been. I mean, I'm their only child. And I get annoyed that they still treat me like a child. Which they do, but it's partly cultural. And y'know what? I've been behaving like a child. I’ve been so wrapped up in my life and my work and my angsts, for so many years. I’m grateful to have at least some time with her to prioritize changing that, now.

And I’m changing jobs. New company, same industry. I made that decision right before all this cancer news came out. I still think it’s the right choice, for myself and my family, but it’s one more worry.

And my cat has been very sick. Turns out she has E. Coli. Which wasn't noted in the first culture - who knows what happened. She’s on new antibiotics now and doing much better, but three weeks ago we were pretty sure she’d be in an urn on the mantle by New Year.

I’ve posted a couple of times about bling meaning different things to different people at different times. For me bling is escape, respite, relief. I can totally lose myself in planning a project, or admiring a finished jewel, or chasing academic minutiae - I can't think of anything else that can keep me that completely occupied. I used to try to hide it, because it seemed inappropriate to spend so much time and energy and money on something so #useless. But… Why should I? There are certainly worse sins.

To come back to PS after a few days off and see this totally unexpected outpouring of support and encouragement - and y’all had no idea how much this means to me right now. PSers get it. And the fact that I can feel more comfortable with and better understood by PSers than so many people in my day to day, even PSers whom I've not yet met in-person - will never cease to amaze me.

@mrs-b I don’t know what inspired you to write what you did when you did. I know that you've had too many health scares of your own. This week... The sentiment of being kind to others because you don’t know what they’re going though, you are an embodiment of that. My silver lining has been learning how many loving and generous people I've got in my life - so many of whom I wouldn’t know without this forum. mrs-b, PreRaphaelite, diamonds, Missie, dk, LLJsmom, Ally, Ann, Sharon, CCN, RWS, Pomelo, everyone with whom I've chatted off-forum, thank you. I’m so, so grateful for my friends. ❤️

Oh yssie, you have had a very rough time of it. I'm so very sorry to hear of all this news in your life and hope you know that my strongest healing prayers are going out to you and your family. Your bling is and shall remain legendary. I sincerely hope it brings you some joy when you look at it and wear it. Biggest hugs possible!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending hugs @yssie ...hoping for a positive outcome for both your dear mom and grandmother.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@yssie Just because I've been quiet, doesn't mean I'm not thinking about you. Fits and starts that just sound overwhelmingly inadequate in expression. Sadly hanging unposted on the end of threads. I worry for you, I just want to hug you, words fail. You have so much that you must balance and know that if I could I would support you where you stand. It reduces the this: giphy (47).gif

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie sending you love and prayers as your dealing with this. I’ve been thru this C journey with my mom and the most important thing I can tell you is that your an amazing daughter and loved by your mom. You will do what needs to be done for her and be her strength. She lucky to have such an amazing daughter. Your family will get thru this. Speaking positive prayers for healing over your mom and grandma.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results