shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
More eerie glow...later on Friday night...

Snowpocalypse 2010 035a.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Saturday morning...check out how heavy the snow is!

Snowpocalypse 2010 040a.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Saturday afternoon. About 21" at this point...still got about 4-5 more inches after this...

Snowpocalypse 2010 043a.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Yes, folks, there IS a Chevy Cobalt under there. Somewhere.

Snowpocalypse 2010 049a.JPG

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
About an hour''s worth of progress on the "big dig"...

Snowpocalypse 2010 060a.JPG

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
A helping out!
9.gif

Snowpocalypse 2010 062a.JPG

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Finally free! After 2 hours of shoveling!

I''m originally from Ohio and Michigan, and I have NEVER had to clean off my car with a SHOVEL.

Snowpocalypse 2010 065a.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 8:15:10 PM
Author: vc10um

I''m originally from Ohio and Michigan, and I have NEVER had to clean off my car with a SHOVEL.

My hubby must be well-experienced in snow removal. He dug out my car and his within about an hour
9.gif
(fortunately I was not recruited to help)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 8:21:38 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 2/7/2010 8:15:10 PM

Author: vc10um

My hubby must be well-experienced in snow removal. He dug out my car and his within about an hour
9.gif
(fortunately I was not recruited to help)
All I had was a portable shovel that I''ve had since college to dig myself out of parking lots. This was only the 4th time I''ve ever had to use it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
We dug out the car today too, vc! Can you believe some idiot across from us left the snow on his car roof?! There must have been 2 feet stacked up there, but everything else was cleared away. Aside from the safety issues, it looked ridiculous!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 9:51:41 PM
Author: cellentani
We dug out the car today too, vc! Can you believe some idiot across from us left the snow on his car roof?! There must have been 2 feet stacked up there, but everything else was cleared away. Aside from the safety issues, it looked ridiculous!

I can actually COMPLETELY believe that. I''ve seen people driving around my development and the shopping center next door with the snow still on their roofs. If they can make it all the way to the Shoppers on Rte 1 with most of the roof snow in tact, you can only imagine how slow they must be driving.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, great pics vc10um!

Sorry for the huge delay but I''m ready to share my madness pictures.

This is our fire engine, unable to get up a hill to turn around. We had to call in a plow and have them clear a spot for us to turn around. We started sliding while backing down the hill when we couldn''t make it up it. We had to dig it out before we could move once they plowed the road.

fd_snow0001.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t see it too well because we were driving on I-70 when I took it but this is a view from the interstate of the house fire (abandoned, fortunately) that we could not get to.

fd_snow0002.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
This call was supposedly for a 3 vehicle accident but instead, we found a snowplow on its side. The car on the left is the elderly couple out at 2:30am and trying to turn around due to the road closure.

fd_snow0003.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Saturday morning. The US Army was driving around police officers in Humvee''s. Crazy work. They had one guy that kept calling 911. Apparently, he was walking up the road and would call and say his feet were cold. Not sure what the story turned out to be there.

fd_snow0004.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I found my car... I think.

fd_snow0005.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Trying to keep our parking lot clear.

fd_snow0006.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s I-70 mid-afternoon Saturday... 1/2 lane is clear.

fd_snow0010.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t see much but here is a horse barn that partially collapsed. We had two barns collapse while I was there. To the best of my knowledge, all horses made it out ok.

fd_snow_barn0001.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 8:57:12 AM
Author: treefrog
Here''s I-70 mid-afternoon Saturday... 1/2 lane is clear.
23.gif
Do you have special tyres or chains Tfrog in order to drive on that stuff??

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
This is what our state plows look like. I couldn''t count how many I saw that had slid off the road and were stuck. I''d imagine the number of stuck plows didn''t help the snow removal effort. As of yesterday, many county roads/neighborhoods are still untouched. I just talked to my buddy who is working today. He said Annapolis is in pretty bad shape. Lots of snow on the roads and unplowed areas. He is a very experienced Winter driver in a large 4WD pickup and he had to hang up on me due to the challenging road conditions (Bluetooth/hands free).

fd_snow_stock0001.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lorelie! How''s the weather over there?
2.gif

We had to wrap special chains with spikes around our rear tires. They helped tremendously. We would have been stuck like everybody else without them. They reduce the speed we can drive tremendously but you can''t drive very fast anyway due to the visibility and road conditions so they didn''t really hurt us any.

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 2:00:21 PM
Author: vespergirl
Here is Reston right now we have over 24 inches. I am freaking out because a massive pine tree in our backyard just fell on our deck, part of our roof, and hit the windows on the back of the house. We are so lucky that it didn''t damage the roof or windows, but we have 3 more massive pines and a huge oak out there, so we are going to be waiting out the rest of the storm in our basment.

DS was laying on the couch in the den right which is right against the windows that the tree fell on, and we are all so freaked out. Our master bedroom is right above that, and the branches hit the roof and windows of our bedroom as well, so we are all going to sleep in the basement tonight. Thank goodness we have our MIL suite down here, so we can hunker down here, but I''m so worried about our house ...
Oh my gosh vespergirl! Hopefully, it didn''t do enough damage to cause any leaks. Sorry to hear this but glad you''re all ok.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 9:15:20 AM
Hi Lorelie! How''s the weather over there?
2.gif

We had to wrap special chains with spikes around our rear tires. They helped tremendously. We would have been stuck like everybody else without them. They reduce the speed we can drive tremendously but you can''t drive very fast anyway due to the visibility and road conditions so they didn''t really hurt us any.

Treefrog
Hiya my friend Froggie!

We have snow flurries here but its too wet and mild for them to stick yet....''Proper'' snow is due towards the middle of the week according to the forecasters.

Glad you are all equipped to drive safely in that weather, we have nothing like that here....But we don''t get those amounts of snow anymore.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Today is my first day venturing out. I had a little trouble getting back up the big hill, but hopefully it will be better when I go home and I wont just slide down. Our schools were only 2hrs late today. MD schools are closed. DH said that York Rd is one lane. 695 was pretty good, but one of lanes was gone due to snow piles there where there just wasnt any place to put it.

I am so angry at the people that left the 2 feet of snow on their roofs of their vehicles. That is such a hazard. I am thinking of calling Giant because one of their tractor trailers was cruising down 95S with all that snow on top. If that comes off and hits a car there would be terrible accidents. Don''t be lazy get it off. My mother dated a man that had an 18 wheeler and he had this huge stick that he would use to get snow off.

My arms feel like jello from shoveling. DH and I are a good team and we were able to completely get ourselves out.

Do any of you have to shovel out for the mail? We not only had to clean up our driveway, but we also had to dig out our mailbox. I said we should just leave it and wait, we really don''t need the bills that we pay online anyway and the advertisement circulars.

On Saturday we were looking across the way at a neighbor that had a long driveway to shovel and DH said look at that poor schmuck. Well yesterday while we were still shoveling that neighbor was out there with his snowblower finishing up. I asked DH who the schmuck is now?

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Back to work today. We only ended up getting about 16 inches here in S. NJ. But now are supposed to be hit again with another 12+ on tues into Wed. Fun. I took some pics too, will post when home!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 9:01:38 AM
You can''t see much but here is a horse barn that partially collapsed. We had two barns collapse while I was there. To the best of my knowledge, all horses made it out ok.
Thank goodness!!!!!!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
VA, Fairfax county schools are closed today, and DH is also home from work. Metro is still only running below ground too.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:44:05 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/8/2010 9:01:38 AM
Thank goodness!!!!!!!
I knew that was the question that would be important to many of you so I made sure I added that!

I wonder if it''s the remnants from the storm that got us that is headed your way this week? I''ve been so busy shoveling (and taking pictures... more to follow) that I haven''t even had a chance to turn the television on.

Treefrog

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We. Are. Getting. More. Snow.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Starting Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday . . . preliminary predictions are saying 6 to 12 inches ON TOP OF THE TWO-PLUS FEET WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
32.gif
23.gif
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results