shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you radiantquest... I know it''s a pain to clear 55'' of snow off a tractor trailer but it sounds like there is a method. That is really a nuisance. I always keep a lot of distance from them. I''ve seen my share of snow/ice chunks blow off them. Very scary!

I like to make sure the mailbox is cleared. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Treefrog

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I drove from Pittsburgh back to Virginia Beach yesterday...it was not a fun drive!

The roads actually weren''t that bad except around the DC area, but there it was TERRIBLE! The far right and the far left lanes were almost clear for the most part, with an inch of ice and slush in between. As soon as the 2 clear lanes started slowing down, cars just drove willy nilly through the center part, causing mass chaos and traffic jams. I was terrified.

This storm totally ruined our trip. Dh got ONE WEEK of leave this year, and we took it past week to take DS (6 months) to Pittsburgh to get him baptized since our whole family lives there. The baptism got snowed out, we didn''t have power, we didn''t get to see some of our friends/family, and we still had to try to make it home yesterday because we didn''t get any snow here in VB so dh had to be at work today. I''m glad we all made it home safe, but I''m still really bummed about missing out on the baptism party and seeing people since we probably won''t get to go back for another 6 months.

We only "officially" got 2 feet of snow, but at my dad''s we measured over 3 feet in most places!

100_2150s.jpg

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I''m SO frustrated! My husband and I dug out my car on Saturday and it was fine. I didn''t drive at all yesterday (Sunday). My husband left for Mexico on a work trip yesterday afternoon. This morning I went out to drive to work and my car is completely surrounded by snow! Our shovel is in my husband''s car at the airport! I borrowed a shovel from a neighbor and started digging. After 2 hours my car still would not budge. I am so frustrated and exhausted. I can''t get to work, which is a big deal because a little girl with mental health issues counts on me to be there with her throughout the school day. We just moved here, so I don''t have many people I can call to help. I did call a co-worker of my husband''s to see if he can stop by this afternoon and help me work on getting my car free some more so I can be sure I am able to get to work tomorrow morning. Sorry for the vent!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 11:14:50 AM
Author: GoingCrazy29
I''m SO frustrated! My husband and I dug out my car on Saturday and it was fine. I didn''t drive at all yesterday (Sunday). My husband left for Mexico on a work trip yesterday afternoon. This morning I went out to drive to work and my car is completely surrounded by snow! Our shovel is in my husband''s car at the airport! I borrowed a shovel from a neighbor and started digging. After 2 hours my car still would not budge. I am so frustrated and exhausted. I can''t get to work, which is a big deal because a little girl with mental health issues counts on me to be there with her throughout the school day. We just moved here, so I don''t have many people I can call to help. I did call a co-worker of my husband''s to see if he can stop by this afternoon and help me work on getting my car free some more so I can be sure I am able to get to work tomorrow morning. Sorry for the vent!
The wind caused some drifting snow that certainly didn''t help anybody. What general area are you in?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 10:41:24 AM
Author: treefrog

Date: 2/8/2010 9:44:05 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/8/2010 9:01:38 AM
You can''t see much but here is a horse barn that partially collapsed. We had two barns collapse while I was there. To the best of my knowledge, all horses made it out ok.
Thank goodness!!!!!!!
I knew that was the question that would be important to many of you so I made sure I added that!

I wonder if it''s the remnants from the storm that got us that is headed your way this week? I''ve been so busy shoveling (and taking pictures... more to follow) that I haven''t even had a chance to turn the television on.

Treefrog
You are a star Froggie and yes you know many of us are horse lovers!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 11:25:42 AM

Date: 2/8/2010 11:14:50 AM
The wind caused some drifting snow that certainly didn''t help anybody. What general area are you in?
We are in an area outside of Altoona, PA. I''m feeling better now, just frustrated I can''t get to work. Its worse that my husband is out of town and I feel bad asking people I don''t know very well to help me.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
The official total in Philly was 26"...

DH lost his wedding ring while he was shoveling Saturday
39.gif
. Well, he''s certain he had it on when he started shoveling, and he had his gloves off a number of times outside. He was out there for almost 4 hours, clearing our house and car, the next door neighbor''s, and he helped his buddy who lives around the corner. He is SO upset! He didn''t notice until last night, after dark. Checked his clothes, the bed, the bathroom, EVERYWHERE. This morning we scoured outside, without luck. I guess we''ll just have to wait til the snow clears. Who knows when that''ll be, as we have another storm coming through Tuesday night.

It just stinks. Stupid snow
14.gif
11.gif

I''m waiting to see the kids playing outside... We''re gonna offer a reward if anyone can find it.

I like everyone''s pics. The snow IS pretty... but I''m not liking it right about now.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 12:15:57 PM

We are in an area outside of Altoona, PA. I''m feeling better now, just frustrated I can''t get to work. Its worse that my husband is out of town and I feel bad asking people I don''t know very well to help me.
I was hoping you were going to say something a little closer but you''re almost 3 hours away from me on a good day.
7.gif

I certainly understand the frustration. I can get out but I can''t get to work because the parking lots aren''t cleared. Not sure if tomorrow will be any better. I have to take vacation time for this!!! So frustrated!

Treefrog

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:44:43 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
We. Are. Getting. More. Snow.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Starting Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday . . . preliminary predictions are saying 6 to 12 inches ON TOP OF THE TWO-PLUS FEET WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
32.gif
23.gif
29.gif
Michigan is getting some of that action, FINALLY!!!!
36.gif

I''m sick of staring at dead grass!
20.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 12:30:40 PM
Author: Lynnie
The official total in Philly was 26''...

DH lost his wedding ring while he was shoveling Saturday
39.gif
. Well, he''s certain he had it on when he started shoveling, and he had his gloves off a number of times outside. He was out there for almost 4 hours, clearing our house and car, the next door neighbor''s, and he helped his buddy who lives around the corner. He is SO upset! He didn''t notice until last night, after dark. Checked his clothes, the bed, the bathroom, EVERYWHERE. This morning we scoured outside, without luck. I guess we''ll just have to wait til the snow clears. Who knows when that''ll be, as we have another storm coming through Tuesday night.

It just stinks. Stupid snow
14.gif
11.gif

I''m waiting to see the kids playing outside... We''re gonna offer a reward if anyone can find it.

I like everyone''s pics. The snow IS pretty... but I''m not liking it right about now.
Oh, bummer Lynnie!
7.gif
I sure hope you end up finding it.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I ventured out with my camera yesterday morning. This was taken on my way back but these are my tracks heading down through waist deep snow.

Big_Snow0001.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
My destination was down near the center of this image. You probably can''t tell from this little picture but my tracks go right down to the river.

Big_Snow0002.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly wasn''t as graceful as this. I''m not a tracking expert but I believe these tracks were made by two deer. I can''t imagine them moving around much in this and I wanted to make sure I didn''t spook any animals. I was out there as a hobby, with food at home. They are out there for survival.

Big_Snow0007.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Rabbits... they seem to know how to travel... right on top!

Big_Snow0012.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I was rewarded with some great sights...

Big_Snow0004.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this was pretty:

Big_Snow0001_1.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
This too:

Big_Snow0009.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I did see some animals:

Big_Snow0008.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the snow was too deep for me to see fox this time but some deer eventually came out. Although it may not look like it (big lens and slight photo crop), I kept my distance to make sure I didn''t spook the deer... busily eating to survive. Eventually, I saw more and more deer venturing out so I left.

Big_Snow0003.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Last one:

Big_Snow0011.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 12:35:05 PM
Author: elledizzy5

14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Starting Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday . . . preliminary predictions are saying 6 to 12 inches ON TOP OF THE TWO-PLUS FEET WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
32.gif
23.gif
29.gif

36.gif

I''m sick of staring at dead grass!
20.gif

Ironically, we''ve had a light snow season...we''re down about 10 inches below average snowfall...so guess what? We''re going to get it all 10 inches in one day! Yikes!

And we''ll be snowed in if we do get 10 inches. Anything over 6, we are stuck...our neighborhood is always last to be plowed (they are technically city streets, but they clear the main roads first)...ours and the subdivision across the main road are never cleared until MUCH later, like days...and DH has a low profile compact car, he has gotten stuck in our sub trying to get out after other snowfalls! So he plans to work from home, for maybe two days, until we can get out without getting stuck.

But I know this is nothing compared to what everyone else is dealing with! Ugh! Hang in there everyone!
20.gif
2.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 12:35:05 PM
Author: elledizzy5

14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

32.gif
23.gif
29.gif
36.gif

I'm sick of staring at dead grass!
20.gif
Ah....my kingdom for some dead grass-staring.
14.gif
30 inches in Frederick, MD. Not even secondary roads are plowed, almost three days later. No power outages at my house, thank heavens. Spent the weekend shoveling 5' drifts off of my Honda Civic. There's nowhere to stack the snow. I think the front-end loaders are coming in today to take some of it away. I don't know how we're supposed to deal with another foot of it.
38.gif

That said.......

gorgeous photos, treefrog. All my pics are of buried cars.
41.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 3:12:05 PM
Author: Julianna

Ah....my kingdom for some dead grass-staring.
14.gif
30 inches in Frederick, MD. Not even secondary roads are plowed, almost three days later. No power outages at my hourse, thank heavens. Spent the weekend shoveling 5'' drifts off of my Honda Civic. There''s nowhere to stack the snow. I think the front-end loaders are coming in today to take some of it away. I don''t know how we''re supposed to deal with another foot of it.
38.gif

That said.......

gorgeous photos, treefrog. All my pics are of buried cars.
41.gif
Thanks Julianna! It was better than going stir-crazy inside. I''m not looking forward to another foot tomorrow.
39.gif
I''m heading out to shovel again while the sun is out a little. I can get my car in and out but with more coming, I need to clear it better. Watch where they put the stuff in Frederick... I work in Frederick and want to get to work so I don''t have to burn up any more vacation days. This is NOT my idea of a vacation!

Treefrog

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Treefrog - those are some gorgeous pictures.

My whole team from work almost got stuck out there in this storm - we all had to scramble to get up to NY late Thursday night and then find flights to our various home towns from there - I think we just barely made it out in time. Hopefully those who have to go back this week (possibly including me but not sure yet) won''t get stuck in this next round...

Condolences to all those who got stuck - sounds like a miserable situation all around!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been watching the news and the updates online. It seems like you''ve all had a crazy winter! The pictures are beautiful, as always, Treefrog.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
TF...lovely lovely pictures.

Hold on to your hats, Metro DC. The NWS is now forecasting an additional TEN TO TWENTY INCHES beginning at NOON TOMORROW.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:29:04 PM
Author: vc10um

Hold on to your hats, Metro DC. The NWS is now forecasting an additional TEN TO TWENTY INCHES beginning at NOON TOMORROW.
WTH??!! I heard 6-12" earlier! Oh man, and to think the plows just came through this afternoon! Sigh....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:29:04 PM
Author: vc10um

Great pics TF!!!! You take the best pics, always a treat for me to see them.

VC10um,
Hoping the DC area gets more of a break. YOU guys have had it rough. Hey Philly hasn''t been easy either.

The last I heard?? 12-20 inches, winds of 40 miles an hour and power outages.
32.gif

Can I cry now?? Or should I cry later?? LMAO.

I think it''s mean to have this storm so close to the last one, but then again, Mother nature isn''t on my speed dial.
31.gif
11.gif
20.gif
7.gif
39.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
No joke, cellentani.
38.gif
I just went to the grocery store to make sure we had enough food to get us to the weekend. Still waiting to hear from the Office of Personnel Management whether the government is open tomorrow. That website isn''t loading right now, and Metro has yet to post its schedule for Tuesday.

They''re saying that in some areas that didn''t experience much melt, the additional snow could start collapsing roofs and such. It''s just a disaster.

Let''s just say I''m over the snow.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um, WTOP has announced that the Feds are closed tomorrow. I can''t get through to the OPM site, but I trust that WTOP is getting their info straight from OPM.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results