shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 9:02:31 AM
Author: sweetjettagirl04
irish, i didn''t know we were so close! i''m right outside h-town too!
Awesome! I was raised in Maugansville, went to North High, and now live in Waynesboro, PA so I''m still very close to H-town. Hi, neighbor!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outside of Philly we have 16+ inches. Thankfully we have power. We going to watch movies and chill.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 12:10:19 AM
Author: treefrog

Date: 2/5/2010 10:35:31 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 2/5/2010 9:06:35 PM
Author: treefrog

Wow... you know it''s a slow... snowy night when we''re discussing the smallest post office in the US!!!

10 minutes from Hagerstown... I used to live about 10 minutes East of Hagerstown!

Treefrog
Ahhh, so you must be familiar with my hometown: the booming metropolis of Maugansville, MD! It doesn''t even have a stoplight! LOL! I so wish I still lived there!
9.gif

ETA: VC and everyone else who is at risk of losing power, good luck! I hope it stays on!
40.gif
I''ve heard of it but couldn''t place it. I just checked the map. Wow, that is a small town when it''s by an airport I''ve been to several times and I still didn''t know the town was there! Off 81... I think there''s a big shopping center near there now too. I used to live in Myersville. We had one blinking light. You''re not too far from Whitetail then.
LOL! Yes, Maugansville is TINY! And it is very close to Whitetail, but I''m actually closer to Whitetail now that I''ve moved over the line into PA. In fact, I can see the slopes really well from the barn where I board my horse!
21.gif

É

étoile

Date: 2/5/2010 10:54:51 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/5/2010 9:36:20 PM
Author: étoile

I just checked the forcast and now I keep hearing 30 inches for the DC area!

I keep hearing that, too! And it isn''t fair! I live across the street from vespergirl when I am in Virginia, which means that I would be in the the area that got 30 inches or whatever they get in Virginia just west of the District. So instead my husband, who has no appreciation of snow, is there and I''m in Connecticut. (New York City is supposed to get a measly 3-6 inches and north of the city-where I am-we''re supposed to get less!) Où sont les neiges d’antan?

AGBF
34.gif
I still can''t believe we''ve gotten so much. 24 inches and counting. It just doesn''t happen that often and then this year it''s like living in a diff. place. I''m sorry your missing it but at this point you might be better off where you''re at. We lost power in the middle of the night but it has since come back on, thankfully.
Can you all believe there are so many people venturing out? I''m just staying in with my cocoa and my kitties. C''est une belle journée magique!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
treefrog - wow...you sure are keeping busy during the blizzard! BF''s dad and one of my friends are county police officers and they were complaining about how people were out driving as well.
33.gif
obviously there are going to be exceptions, but i agree that in these type of conditions, no one should be out on the roads.

yes, i do the 270 commute everyday.
14.gif
i live in Gaithersburg and work in Rockville so i''m always stuck in traffic. glad to hear they''re going to air the episode soon! i''ve been wondering about it and was afraid that i had missed it. BF and i are planning to spend V-day at home so i''m pretty sure we''ll be watching.
2.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i guess BF and i had too many hot cocoas with Baileys last night because we decided to go for a walk around 2am. i finally found out why my parking lot seemed so empty!

vipsnowpl2.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
this was taken at around 2:30am-ish. not sure how accurate this measurement was since we were getting readings ranging from 9-16". we might go outside again later and i''ll try to get another measurement.

vipsnow16.JPG

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 8:42:22 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 2/5/2010 7:54:21 PM

Author: PinkAsscher678

The first time my husband and I really explored Luray together I thought it was so pretty, but there is not much to do. But I did live there for awhile and I love the Shenandoah area.

Awww.....you shoulda gone in the maze at Luray! You''da never got out, and that woulda kept you busy!

I made it home...it''s still snowing I''m sure.

I''ve been in the maze many times :) My in-laws own it!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here''s the view from the balcony at 12:30pm. it''s almost a complete white-out!

vipsnow5.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saturday

I'm in southwestern Connecticut. Not a flake fell here. I have been in communication by phone with my husband, who is snowed in at our home in Virginia and with our next door neighbors [who grew up in Rochester, New York (her) and Buffalo, New York (him)]. Cindi, who grew up in Rochester, said she has never seen anything like this. We have 3 feet of snow and 6 inches more is due on Tuesday. She says that she feels lucky she is living with, "Buffalo Bob" because he can deal with the snow. They have a small generator and they know where the wood for the fireplace is. They have blocked off doors to their kitchen and family room with blankets and made a path for the dog so that she can get outside in the snow. Bob is using the snowblower, although he has to go over the same area twice in this snow to clear it.

My husband isn't faring as well on his own. He has run out of wood, because the wood outside that wasn't close to the house is under so much snow that it is not easy to find. (I think it goes without saying that there is no power and no heat.)

I am assuming that vespergirl and other people from Virginia are all without power and will be without power for a while unless they relocate to hotels or to the homes of friends or relatives. One anomaly: friends of our neighbors who live in the same town we do got "only" 18" where they live. We don't know how that's possible when we got 3 feet, but it is. They didn't lose power, either.

AGBF
34.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 1:02:35 PM
Author: vip0802
here's the view from the balcony at 12:30pm. it's almost a complete white-out!

That's beautiful, but... brrr!

I hope all the snow-bound PS'ers are managing to stay warm and comfy, preferably with electricity!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Holding it down here in Alexandria, VA!

I've shovelled 3 times already, mostly because the dog has to go out, and she can't walk in 1.5+ ft of snow! I got her some snow booties, which she kind of hates until she is outside... then she runs around like a dog possessed. I worked really hard to clear a grassy space next to our unit, but she ran off somewhere and no doubt went potty in the middle of a sidewalk or something. I just wanted her to try out her boots, but I clearly I need to put her on her leash next time.
28.gif
It was fun coming in the house with snow in my hair! It actually made my hair look good and rehydrated the curls!
3.gif

I did grocery shopping on Tuesday and Thurs, and most things were cleared off the shelves on Thurs, but the lines weren't too bad. Pretty much like going on a Saturday or Sunday. I went o K-Mart Friday afternoon, and it was pretty empty. They actually had snow blowers and ice melt. The shovel situation in the DMV was very crazy, and I waited in line for an hour to get a $40 shovel!
14.gif
I also got a saucer (sled thingy) on a whim, because I wasn't sure if my FI has ever been sledding. (he's from Cali) We have snowboarding stuff too, so maybe we'll go outside and see what mischief we can get into. However, on second thought, I don't even know if you can sled in this much snow! We have lots of wine, beer and hot cocoa, so we're not too worried over here.
31.gif

Thank BOB we still have power. It's gone out a few times, but comes right back on. We're not to worried about heat, since we don't really run ours. Strangely enough, our unit stays at about 70-72 degrees with the heat off.
30.gif
I got a lot of candles though and I cooked a lot of food yesterday, just in case... I love snow, and missed living in the mid-atlantic, but I was pretty over this winter after moving DURING the mid-December storm. Shovelling 1.5ft of snow and moving furniture do not mix.
29.gif

A Funny clip of an MD meteorologist... who is TOTALLY out of control!!!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Here in Rockville, we have about 24 inches, maybe a little more. I''ve shoveled a couple of times and will need to go out a couple of time more today. Unfortunately, my husband had Lasik on Thursday and is not to exert himself, so it''s all me.
39.gif

Whatever I can''t do today, I will probably contract out tomorrow when the neighborhood boys are out drumming up shoveling business.

We''ve lost power briefly a couple of times, but thankfully it came back quickly. Our utilities are all underground, so at least we don''t have to worry about snow bringing down power lines.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is Reston right now we have over 24 inches. I am freaking out because a massive pine tree in our backyard just fell on our deck, part of our roof, and hit the windows on the back of the house. We are so lucky that it didn''t damage the roof or windows, but we have 3 more massive pines and a huge oak out there, so we are going to be waiting out the rest of the storm in our basment.

DS was laying on the couch in the den right which is right against the windows that the tree fell on, and we are all so freaked out. Our master bedroom is right above that, and the branches hit the roof and windows of our bedroom as well, so we are all going to sleep in the basement tonight. Thank goodness we have our MIL suite down here, so we can hunker down here, but I''m so worried about our house ...

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, Vesper! I hope nothing else falls and no serious damage was done to your house!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 1:20:39 PM

Saturday

I''m in southwestern Connecticut. Not a flake fell here. I have been in communication by phone with my husband, who is snowed in at our home in Virginia and with our next door neighbors [who grew up in Rochester, New York (her) and Buffalo, New York (him)]. Cindi, who grew up in Rochester, said she has never seen anything like this. We have 3 feet of snow and 6 inches more is due on Tuesday. She says that she feels lucky she is living with, ''Buffalo Bob'' because he can deal with the snow. They have a small generator and they know where the wood for the fireplace is. They have blocked off doors to their kitchen and family room with blankets and made a path for the dog so that she can get outside in the snow. Bob is using the snowblower, although he has to go over the same area twice in this snow to clear it.

My husband isn''t faring as well on his own. He has run out of wood, because the wood outside that wasn''t close to the house is under so much snow that it is not easy to find. (I think it goes without saying that there is no power and no heat.)

I am assuming that vespergirl and other people from Virginia are all without power and will be without power for a while unless they relocate to hotels or to the homes of friends or relatives. One anomaly: friends of our neighbors who live in the same town we do got ''only'' 18'' where they live. We don''t know how that''s possible when we got 3 feet, but it is. They didn''t lose power, either.

AGBF
34.gif
Hey there AGBF, I''m sorry to hear that your husband lost power - it''s a good that that you''re up in CT, though. I normally love snow, but we just had a terrible scare. Even though we are lucky enough to still have power, one of our big pines just fell on our deck & hit the side of the house. Now we''re freaking out and hiding in the basement, where we are planning to sleep tonight. I normally get all excited about these big snows, but I never was in a dangerous situation here before. We have decided to have a tree guy come out ASAP next week, not only to remove that pine, but we also may take down the other 4 huge trees in our backyard that could hit the house in case we get a storm like this again. DH has been talking about doing it for years, and I''ve just told him that he was being a worrywart, but now I see how dangerous it is - I don''t think that we''ll be planting anything bigger than a crepe myrtle out there after this ...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 2:04:13 PM
Author: Clio
Oh no, Vesper! I hope nothing else falls and no serious damage was done to your house!
Thanks Clio, I am hoping that since the snow is almost over, there won''t be any more weight on the branches and falling trees - DH was just out there inspecting the yard, and he says it''s a miracle we didn''t get any branches through the windows. This totally sucks ...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I just measured outside: 20" here in Alexandria.

Vesper! Stay safe! I hope the rest of those trees stay right where they are!

vip--LOVING your photos...keep ''em coming!

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 8:29:22 AM
Author: vc10um
We lost power at 11 PM on the dot. So we went to bed. I have no clue how long it was off for, but it was on in the middle of the night when I woke up.

Last official National Weather service report of snow where I am was 12' at 1 AM. Edited: Checked a few moments ago and we're at 15'.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. Fortunately, we were well-prepared in case the power *didn't* come back on...lots of warm clothing, blankets, and, thankfully, a gas stove.

LC-where are you at in Alexandria?

TF-that is literally INSANE. Why do people not understand this is DANGEROUS?!?! At least the house was abandoned. And snow plows in the ditches??? Crazy.

We need to clarify for the Mid-Westerners that in Virginia, 'Snow plow' applies to any vehicle which has attached a plow to its front end. The state owns little or no ACTUAL plows.

We're in Cameron Station. It's crazy here. I see people trying to drive, but where are they going? I can't imagine that anything is open today!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Issued by The Weather Channel

2:29 pm EST, Sat., Feb. 6, 2010

The latest snowfall reports from The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington, DC: Frostburg, 36.0"... near Lehew, 34.0"... near Bloomery, 33.5"... near Smith Crossroads, 33.0"... Bayard, 33.0"... near Dulles Internat, 32.1"... near Howellsville, 32.0"... Eckhart Mines, 31.0"... near Elkridge, 30.3"... Sw Bluemont, 30.1"... near Wardensville, 30.0"... near Jefferson, 29.5"... near Garrison, 29.0"... near Glenelg, 29.0"... Keyser, 28.5"... near Ridgeley, 28.3"... Parkville, 28.0"... Berryville, 28.0"... near Damascus, 28.0"... Lonaconing, 28.0"... near Vanville, 28.0"... Wolfsville, 28.0"... Laurel, 28.0"... near Columbia, 27.9"... near Armel, 27.5"... Linden, 27.5"... near Oella, 27.0"... Haywood, 27.0"... Charles Town, 27.0"... Shepherdstown, 26.5"... Balt-wash Intl Arpt, 26.5"... Parkton, 26.3"... near Gwynn Oak, 26.0"... near Woodstock, 26.0"... near Berkeley Spgs, 26.0"... near Martinsburg, up to 27.0"... near Savage, up to 28.5"... near Winchester, up to 20.0"... near Simpsonville, up to 27.3"... near Churchton, up to 20.6"... near Parkville, up to 21.4"... near Leesburg, up to 28.0"... near Frostburg, up to 28.0"... near Romney, up to 28.0"... near Ashburn, up to 23.0"... near Centreville, up to 20.0"... near Green Haven, up to 26.5"... near Monticello, up to 14.1"... near Barboursville, up to 14.0"... near Stephens City, up to 25.0"... near Olney, up to 22.0"... near Front Royal, up to 20.0"... near Barcroft, up to 17.0"... near Crofton, up to 26.8"... near Lineboro, up to 21.9"... near Saint Leonard, up to 13.0"... near Arcola, up to 21.2"... near Alexandria, up to 18.0".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/6/2010 2:10:24 PM
Author: vespergirl

Thanks Clio, I am hoping that since the snow is almost over, there won't be any more weight on the branches and falling trees - DH was just out there inspecting the yard, and he says it's a miracle we didn't get any branches through the windows.
I'm really glad you are and your family are all right, vespergirl. I have been thinking about you. I know that you are expecting, too. I am grateful no trees fell on you and that you have heat!

PS-We had one of our trees crash into the glass in our great room once. That was just one of the two times a tree hit the house. Once one went into our swimming pool. I think we now have most of them far enough away so that they won't hit the house if they fall!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:36:24 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 2/5/2010 7:29:20 PM
Author: soocool
Philly area....Bucks County, New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ area...no snow yet as of 7:30 pm. News said 10 - 14 inches.

We are hoping that it will not fall on our house, just the surrounding homes. What''s the chance that will happen?
Break out the forcefield, Soocool! LOL!

Over in southern IN, I''m right on the line of wintry mix/snow. Directly south is still getting a slight bit of snow mixed with mostly rain. Temps aren''t due to fall much below 30 overnight so I''m hoping for an insignificant amount of weather here and wishing it were followed shortly by SPRING. Ok, at least some sunshine for a few hours...is that too much to ask? Ha!
technically, but i''m in warrick county so you''re more mid-IN to me
35.gif

we got slush last night, but it wasn''t as bad as last weekend (at least 4 inches that was supposed to be 1-2 at best)

yard''s got a nice cover of snow but the roads have all melted!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
just got to the end of the thread, hope everyone stays safe and warm!
i can''t wait for more pictures to start coming in
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 3:33:31 PM

Date:
2/6/2010 2:10:24 PM
Author: vespergirl

Thanks Clio, I am hoping that since the snow is almost over, there won''t be any more weight on the branches and falling trees - DH was just out there inspecting the yard, and he says it''s a miracle we didn''t get any branches through the windows.
I''m really glad you are and your family are all right, vespergirl. I have been thinking about you. I know that you are expecting, too. I am grateful no trees fell on you and that you have heat!

PS-We had one of our trees crash into the glass in our great room once. That was just one of the two times a tree hit the house. Once one went into our swimming pool. I think we now have most of them far enough away so that they won''t hit the house if they fall!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif
Thanks Deb! My husband has spent the rest of the day sketching & replanning our yard. I think this spring we''re in for a major overhaul ...

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
got back from walking around outside with BF about an hour ago, and i''ve got a ton of photos!

BF took this one of me walking in a little pathway. he thought it was funny how high the snow reached up my leg.
3.gif

vipsnow6.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here''s the path to get to the parking lot

vipsnow7.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
we measured 26 inches at this point, but then again, we were getting multiple readings

vipsnow8.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here''s my car!
9.gif

vipsnow9.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here''s the road to get out of my complex. yeah, i don''t think we''re going anywhere anytime soon

vipsnow910.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results