shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 12:42:15 PM
Author: risingsun
Here, in the Shenandoah Valley in VA., we are in the thick of it!!
Marian,
I went to camp where you are. What a beautiful spot!! Ok thread jack over, but had no clue you lived there!!!
35.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe hide out in Luray Caverns!

I''m about to make the 15 mile drive south on 270...thorugh a bit of snow...to head home.

Best,

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ira, drive safe!

It''s finally starting to stick to the roads out here. It''ll be interesting to see what happens overnight...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re getting more snow too-this is like the winters I remember as a kid. It never ceases to amaze me, the people who fuh-reak ouuuut and clog the grocery store-like our nation is so underdeveloped they''ll not be able to get out of their houses for a week or better, you know? And some of these people, it''s like, dude, you live 3 fricken blocks from the grocery store. It''s not like anyone around here is miles and miles from civilization. We don''t live in the far reaches of the galaxy. It''s not the bubonic plague-it''s snow. We live in Iowa, and these people who do this..they''re FROM here. Born and raised here-and STILL act like this. duh.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
It snowed lightly for a while before anything really started to stick. Hopefully, that was enough delay to get people home safely. It''s coming down pretty steady now. I''ve heard reports of 2+ inches per hour at times with new amounts ranging from 24 - 36". I''m at the fire station now so hopefully people will get home and settle down now. I really should take a nap... I fear a very long night.

Shenandoah Valley... I bet that will be GORGEOUS in the morning! Think I''ll wait til Spring though.

Treefrog

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I do not know if you all remember where I am, but I am right on the PA/MD line. It started here around 4 or 5. It started really light and I was starting to think that it was a fluke and we weren''t going to get any. Now they are big flakes and it is piling up fast. I cannot ever remember seeing snow that looked like this. It is VERY sparkly! Like someone took a ginourmous handful of diamonds and threw them. When I look out the door the entire porch and yard sparkles. For those of you that know about this sort of thing, What makes it look so coarse and sparkly?

I know that snow always sparkles some, but not like this.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 6:40:31 PM
Author: radiantquest
I do not know if you all remember where I am, but I am right on the PA/MD line. It started here around 4 or 5. It started really light and I was starting to think that it was a fluke and we weren''t going to get any. Now they are big flakes and it is piling up fast. I cannot ever remember seeing snow that looked like this. It is VERY sparkly! Like someone took a ginourmous handful of diamonds and threw them. When I look out the door the entire porch and yard sparkles. For those of you that know about this sort of thing, What makes it look so coarse and sparkly?

RQ, you must be very close to me! Hi, neighbor!
35.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 6:45:09 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 2/5/2010 6:40:31 PM

RQ, you must be very close to me! Hi, neighbor!
35.gif
Hidey Ho Neighbor!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 5:34:35 PM
Author: Regular Guy

I''m about to make the 15 mile drive south on 270...thorugh a bit of snow...to head home.

Best,

That''s where I lived. Well, Rileyville. Home of the world''s smallest post office!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 6:56:37 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

Best,

That''s where I lived. Well, Rileyville. Home of the world''s smallest post office!
Nope, that''s Shady Grove, PA!
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Philly area....Bucks County, New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ area...no snow yet as of 7:30 pm. News said 10 - 14 inches.

We are hoping that it will not fall on our house, just the surrounding homes. What''s the chance that will happen?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 7:29:20 PM
Author: soocool
Philly area....Bucks County, New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ area...no snow yet as of 7:30 pm. News said 10 - 14 inches.

We are hoping that it will not fall on our house, just the surrounding homes. What''s the chance that will happen?
Break out the forcefield, Soocool! LOL!

Over in southern IN, I''m right on the line of wintry mix/snow. Directly south is still getting a slight bit of snow mixed with mostly rain. Temps aren''t due to fall much below 30 overnight so I''m hoping for an insignificant amount of weather here and wishing it were followed shortly by SPRING. Ok, at least some sunshine for a few hours...is that too much to ask? Ha!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who is really into Nor''easters and she said that if we get what they are calling for then we will have record snowfall. She said there hasn''t been this much snow since the 1800s. That is nuts!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 7:39:30 PM
I have a friend who is really into Nor''easters and she said that if we get what they are calling for then we will have record snowfall. She said there hasn''t been this much snow since the 1800s. That is nuts!
Seriously?!?! Wow!!!
32.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:00:13 PM

Best,

9.gif

lol that was more of a joke than an actual statistic. The post office in Rileyville can only fit 2 people at a time. The first time my husband and I really explored Luray together I thought it was so pretty, but there is not much to do. But I did live there for awhile and I love the Shenandoah area.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 7:54:21 PM

Date: 2/5/2010 7:00:13 PM

9.gif

lol that was more of a joke than an actual statistic. The post office in Rileyville can only fit 2 people at a time. The first time my husband and I really explored Luray together I thought it was so pretty, but there is not much to do. But I did live there for awhile and I love the Shenandoah area.
LOL! Mine was a joke too, and not a statistic! But this piqued my curiosity, so I checked Google. The smallest PO in the US is actually in Ochopee, FL. Whoda thunk it?
9.gif

Can you tell I''m snowed in and EXTREMELY bored! LOL!
3.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Still coming down steadily here in Alexandria, VA!

So thinks we''ve gotten about 3 inches that have stuck so far. It''s suppose to get leaps and bounds worse in the next couple hours. The tree branches are starting to get heavy with snow.

NWS says that they''re expecting 3" of liquid water to fall from the sky. In 1922, the DC area got 3" of liquid water in the form of snow...and it came to the tune of 28". So they''re expecting close to that now around here. YIKES!!!
23.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
nor''Easters are notorious for just DUMPING boatloads of snow in the affected areas. I''d say 80% of the major accumulation the New England area gets is from these storms, in extreme cases we see 3-4 feet overnight. usually it''s 12-18" though.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The first time my husband and I really explored Luray together I thought it was so pretty, but there is not much to do. But I did live there for awhile and I love the Shenandoah area.
Awww.....you shoulda gone in the maze at Luray! You''da never got out, and that woulda kept you busy!

I made it home...it''s still snowing I''m sure.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 8:42:22 PM

The first time my husband and I really explored Luray together I thought it was so pretty, but there is not much to do. But I did live there for awhile and I love the Shenandoah area.
Awww.....you shoulda gone in the maze at Luray! You''da never got out, and that woulda kept you busy!

I made it home...it''s still snowing I''m sure.
Glad you made it home safely! I''m sure the roads are really getting bad now.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh they weren''t kidding, it''s coming down hard here.... Casper is wearing doggie sweaters as he''s an old man, but he''s out there chasing Callie around, oh they are having a blast.
3.gif
DD came home, what a wonderful surprise. All is good here....

Hoping all the PS''ers stay safe!!!!
35.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 5:17:38 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Marian,
I went to camp where you are. What a beautiful spot!! Ok thread jack over, but had no clue you lived there!!!
35.gif
It''s still coming down here, Lisa!! It''s supposed to snow all night and tomorrow. Luckily, my little dog loves the snow. He dives in head first
1.gif
This is a beautiful place to live.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Best,
LOL, Ira!! I can''t make it out of my driveway
3.gif
Be careful on the road!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:57:01 PM
LOL! Mine was a joke too, and not a statistic! But this piqued my curiosity, so I checked Google. The smallest PO in the US is actually in Ochopee, FL. Whoda thunk it?
9.gif

Can you tell I''m snowed in and EXTREMELY bored! LOL!
3.gif
Wow... you know it''s a slow... snowy night when we''re discussing the smallest post office in the US!!!

10 minutes from Hagerstown... I used to live about 10 minutes East of Hagerstown!

Treefrog

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 9:02:06 PM

Date: 2/5/2010 5:17:38 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Marian,
35.gif
It''s still coming down here, Lisa!! It''s supposed to snow all night and tomorrow. Luckily, my little dog loves the snow. He dives in head first
1.gif
This is a beautiful place to live.
It sure is, I have such fond memories .... Yay for your dog, that''s funny how they dive in head first . Mine do that too, and it cracks me up.

Simple pleasures...

They are the best aren''t they.
12.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 8:10:47 PM
Author: vc10um
Still coming down steadily here in Alexandria, VA!

So thinks we''ve gotten about 3 inches that have stuck so far. It''s suppose to get leaps and bounds worse in the next couple hours. The tree branches are starting to get heavy with snow.

NWS says that they''re expecting 3'' of liquid water to fall from the sky. In 1922, the DC area got 3'' of liquid water in the form of snow...and it came to the tune of 28''. So they''re expecting close to that now around here. YIKES!!!
23.gif
Steady in central MD too. Looks like it''s getting a little windy outside too. Still not a ton of accumulation though. I''m guessing a good 4 inches so far. I can''t wait to see what 2-3" per hour looks like!

Quiet night at the fire department so far so that''s good. Hope that doesn''t mean I''ll be out all night!

Oh yikes... I just noticed your 1922 statistic. I sure hope that is supposed to be 28" and not 28''!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
2.gif

Treefrog

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Calvert County and we have had about 9-10" so far and we shoveled quite a bit so far.....fun fun...its suppose to be worse....I course I am in the area that is suppose to get the most snow out of the entire east coast....

I MOVED from Wisconsin to Maryland...but NOT for this...this was suppose to STAY in the midwest! ;-)

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
It seems that everyone is settling in to ride this out. I went to Redbox earlier to rent movies to entertain us and it seems that I was not the first one to get the idea and there wasnt really anything good. I guess we might have to pull out the games and have Monopoly and Life tournaments. I am quite excited because DH has insisted with all the other snows that it was no good for snowman making and the weather channel that has been on the past few hours has assured me several times that this is the perfect kind of snow for snowman making! Tomorrow we will have to start the 2010 Snowman thread.

É

étoile

I just checked the forcast and now I keep hearing 30 inches for the DC area!

Issued by The National Weather Service
Baltimore/Washington, MD
* ACCUMULATIONS... WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 INCHES... WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.

* TIMING... SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING WITH THE MOST HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS OCCURRING OVERNIGHT.

And on MSN: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35237043/ns/weather/

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
It''s certainly picked up around here and we just had a transformer blow in our neighborhood. It was arcing and draining our power, but then there was a HUGE FLASH of blue light and our power came back on.

I spoke too soon...we just drained again.

Please cross your fingers they get the power back on line soon anywhere that goes out, as it''s going to be a long cold night otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results