shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcement The next PriceScope GTG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping for a NY get-together maybe in the fall in conjunction with the NY antique jewelry show?!!! It would make the most sense for Diamond District sponsor/vendors such as Yekutiel at IDJ and B2C Jewels to maybe jointly host (Lebish is in NYC, too) because staying in Times Square is so perfect as those who stay an extra night can go see a show, etc. But I don't know where that jewelry show is. It would just be a good 3-4 day trip! Hmm, but they may not be available on a Saturday, so that might not work. I was just thinking dinner reservations for a group could be made, and then the visits to the vendors wouldn't have to be as a whole group. There are other vendors such as DBL and SK that people might want to visit, too.

Oh this would be wonderful @diamondseeker2006! The jewelry show in October this year is scheduled for October 26-29, 2018. At 125 West 18th street. The Metropolitan Pavilion. Where it has been every year I believe.
So a little less than 2 miles from Times Square. 10-15 minutes by cab.
https://www.nycjaws.com

:appl:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's worth staying at the Marriott @PintoBean. It's within walking distance of the WF building. Houston is HUGE! I am so sad to miss this get-together, although I was super fortunate to get to visit WF two years ago! It's such a great place and we enjoyed it so much! For those who don't live near one of these these, there is a Cartier and VCA there, too, if you have free time! Just visiting WF is worth the trip, though! It's a great group of people and a very impressive operation they have there.

Thank you for that tip! I am looking at VCA Frivole Diamond BTF ring so its great to know there is a VCA there to browse!

Update: Just want to get your input... i’ve been to the VCA inside NM as I go to Houston for business sometimes. Are you referring to the one in River Oak? I have not been to that one and do you like that one more? Thank you!

Last edited:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Enter me, please!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
36B09974-3CB5-4DBF-A540-7D7FD3D5D5EC.png
Thursday to sunday

Yes, here is the view on Marriott. It is not even a special rate so if you have AAA or a corporate rate or senior citizen, it’s a little cheaper.

Update: for those who are Marriott Platinum Point, this is only a Cat 5 hotel, so I just switched and decided to use points given the points are so low. Just FYI if you want to use points (I also used my free night certificate as you can do that for hotels up to Cat 5 and I didn’t realize this one was only a 5).

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In case anyone is interested in rates at the Marriott for May 10-13. This is per night.

Standard rate is $167
IBM is $161 (I’m with IBM but I expect this is the same for other corporate companies)
Senior Citizen is $160
Govt/Military is $137

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is probably worth it to stay at the Marriott. If you stay anywhere else, you will either have to rent a car or uber. The town center area can get quite congested and it's not fun to drive there during rush hour (which is basically all the time in Houston!). I live very close, and if it were me, I would fly into Hobby, uber to the Marriott, and uber anywhere else (Galleria - Cartier, VCA, Tiffanys). Make your trip as easy as possible so it is enjoyable!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Enter me into the drawing, please!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi! I just signed up and plan to be there for both days. May I ask if it will be mostly about diamonds or will there be any discussion on colored gemstones? Either way, I’ll be there!

I’m a bit of a newbie on PS... I hope to meet many of you!
The AGS part will be mostly about diamonds. (There may be some talk about fancy color diamonds...)
However, many of the folks attending are also very interested in colored gems (including me!) so you will have no trouble finding people to ask questions or share information with about color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that tip! I am looking at VCA Frivole Diamond BTF ring so its great to know there is a VCA there to browse!

Update: Just want to get your input... i’ve been to the VCA inside NM as I go to Houston for business sometimes. Are you referring to the one in River Oak? I have not been to that one and do you like that one more? Thank you!

Yes, River Oaks. To me the regular VCA stores have much more than the boutiques inside NM, and the Cartier is there, too. I can't remember what other shops were there as we spent all our time in those two. My understanding is some of the high end retailers left the Galleria to move to River Oaks, so I would recommend River Oaks for that reason.

My sales associate there was Osvaldo (Ozzie) Hernandez and he was very nice and helpful. He shipped my purchase to my home since it was out of state.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love a nyc one.
Though if nyc is too pricey, my home city of Philadelphia might be a good choice?

Fisch

Rough_Rock
PLEASE ENTER ME INTO THE DRAWING!

MakingTheGrade - I am in the Phila area too - wouldn't that be awesome to have a meeting out this way?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a few years back we had a casual member gtg and it was a lot of fun! Just got coffee and ogled each other’s bling and took a walk around jewelers row.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The AGS part will be mostly about diamonds. (There may be some talk about fancy color diamonds...)
However, many of the folks attending are also very interested in colored gems (including me!) so you will have no trouble finding people to ask questions or share information with about color.

Thank you for the update. If there is any option for a lecture/discussion on colored gemstones, I would like to hear about native cuts vs. precision cut in colored gemstones, especially emeralds and rubies. I love native cuts as to me, they focus on color. There is this surge now of precision cut for colored gemstones (I saw a lot of it at the Tucson gem show). However, I find all the facets a bit distracting and makes the eye wander (an example for diamonds would be the Christopher Crisscut which to me, that cut while it has a lot of brillance, makes the eye wander everywhere). I am not a pro, just a lover of gemstones hence I’d love to hear some expert thoughts on cuts (e.g. trend of wave of the future). Thanks.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On my above post suggesting a topic...I am excited to attend, but as a newbie PSer, I don’t even know I will be approved to attend! I hope so. :(2

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the update. If there is any option for a lecture/discussion on colored gemstones, I would like to hear about native cuts vs. precision cut in colored gemstones, especially emeralds and rubies. I love native cuts as to me, they focus on color. There is this surge now of precision cut for colored gemstones (I saw a lot of it at the Tucson gem show). However, I find all the facets a bit distracting and makes the eye wander (an example for diamonds would be the Christopher Crisscut which to me, that cut while it has a lot of brillance, makes the eye wander everywhere). I am not a pro, just a lover of gemstones hence I’d love to hear some expert thoughts on cuts (e.g. trend of wave of the future). Thanks.
There is a forum here for colored gems: https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/colored-stones.11/

I share your view that modern cuts that target brilliancy are not always ideal for colored gems. "Native" cuts do not necessarily reflect a lack of craftsmanship. In fact, many are remarkable in how the cutter has been able to optimize the rough and capture a finished stone with great overall eye appeal.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
should we be expecting confirmations of our RSVPs?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I will be sending the confirmation to all RSVP's today if you have not received it yet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Miki Moto, you may want to check out the WhiteFlash website. They are a high end diamond seller specializing in top cut rounds and princess cuts, and they will acquire other kinds of diamonds as requested. So the visit there will be all about diamonds!

Bryan referred you to the Colored Stones section of the forum, and that's the best place to find people to discuss gemstones with! Precision cut gems can be cut in large or small facets just like diamonds. So being precision cut also includes large faceted stones such as an antique cushion, like this yellow sapphire (mine, and cut by Jeff White).

JWyellowsapphire4.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So being precision cut also includes large faceted stones such as an antique cushion, like this yellow sapphire (mine, and cut by Jeff White).

JWyellowsapphire4.jpg

Gaaahhh, hasn’t your sapphire sold yet @diamondseeker2006? It’s so beautiful. I wish I had the funds!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Miki Moto, you may want to check out the WhiteFlash website. They are a high end diamond seller specializing in top cut rounds and princess cuts, and they will acquire other kinds of diamonds as requested. So the visit there will be all about diamonds!

Bryan referred you to the Colored Stones section of the forum, and that's the best place to find people to discuss gemstones with! Precision cut gems can be cut in large or small facets just like diamonds. So being precision cut also includes large faceted stones such as an antique cushion, like this yellow sapphire (mine, and cut by Jeff White).

JWyellowsapphire4.jpg

Thank you for the info. Your yellow sapphire is beautiful!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is better to fly into HOU or IAH?

And then should we rent cars or take ubers or... ???

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Hobby. Uber or rental but if you stay at tge Marriott you probably won't need a rental.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Hobby. Uber or rental but if you stay at tge Marriott you probably won't need a rental.

Thanks CEG!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be sending the confirmation to all RSVP's today if you have not received it yet.

I did not receive a confirmation :( Did all the confirmations go out yesterday? If so I'll retry my submission.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh oh. Family emergency occurred so may not make it after all. We will see.

But hopefully will be able to make an east coast gtg some day!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not receive a confirmation :( Did all the confirmations go out yesterday? If so I'll retry my submission.

I didn't receive a confirmation either, was going to wait a day and retry my submission as well.

Aryana

Shiny_Rock
Thank you WF for the drawing. Enter me into the drawing, please!

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I have sent out a response to all. Please check your spam.

If you still have not received an email from me, let me know here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results