carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1334184823|3168800 said:
audball|1334158768|3168441 said:
I read all three books in about 5 days. I could NOT put them down! They were great. The movie was really good, I thought, though there were a few things they changed that I wasn't thrilled about. I'm curious to see how those changes play out in the next two films based on what happens next in the book.

Ditto every single part of this! All in all I thought the movie was a pretty good adaptation, but it's so hard to capture the essence of the oppression that comes through so clearly in the book. Can't wait for the next movie!
I can't either! Any idea how long before it comes out?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1334198844|3168986 said:
Ditto every single part of this! All in all I thought the movie was a pretty good adaptation, but it's so hard to capture the essence of the oppression that comes through so clearly in the book. Can't wait for the next movie!
I can't either! Any idea how long before it comes out?[/quote]

The Googlemachine tells me that it's set to come out in November 2013. WTF, that seems so far away!!! :evil:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Ugh! That IS far away!! :angryfire:

Guess I'll just have to re-read them later next year to prep myself! ;-)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I read all three books in about 5 days. I could NOT put them down! They were great. The movie was really good, I thought, though there were a few things they changed that I wasn't thrilled about. I'm curious to see how those changes play out in the next two films based on what happens next in the book.

ooh I didn't see this earlier, but twins! I was on spring break granted, but it's been SO long since I've read books for fun (last was the harry potter books). it was exhilarating haha. next movie does come out november 22, 2013 (I know the exact date because it is BF's birthday hehe). such a long time in between movies..over a year and a half!

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1334263249|3169519 said:

ooh I didn't see this earlier, but twins! I was on spring break granted, but it's been SO long since I've read books for fun (last was the harry potter books). it was exhilarating haha. next movie does come out november 22, 2013 (I know the exact date because it is BF's birthday hehe). such a long time in between movies..over a year and a half!
Ditto! I don't have time for pleasure reading anymore, but it was awesome to knock them out! I read Hunger Games in one day (about 6 hours) cover to cover. Read Catching fire in two sittings over the next two days and Mockinjay in two sittings over the two days after that.

Saw the movie right after finishing the first book.

Can't wait until November NEXT year!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished the last book earlier this week! I absolutely love them and I can't wait to see the movie. You all are making me want to go see it like now!

audball

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1334324126|3170080 said:
I just finished the last book earlier this week! I absolutely love them and I can't wait to see the movie. You all are making me want to go see it like now!
I'm going to be an enabler and say DOOOOO ITTTTT!!!

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I read the first two and cannot get into the third. I put it down and started another series. Someone will have to tell me what happens. Unless i decide to try again. I started Fifty Shades of Grey. It's hot and just yummy! :lol: It's a total indulgence. I love it!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
When did the Small Talk thread become bookclub!

I'm an avid reader, I read the hunger games as they came out and love them!

I'm currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and while it had a slow start the end is going rather fast. Very weird and existential.

ALSO, beesha, if you like fanstasy-ish and how steamy Fifty Shades of Grey is try Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. It's very hard to describe, but it is the beginning of a series of Alternate History MEETS Magic MEETS A society where being a courtesan is actually a very prestigious job.

audball

Ideal_Rock
beesha!! You have to finish Mockingjay! I LOVED the ending. Pick it back up lady!

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
beesha77|1334897450|3175900 said:
I read the first two and cannot get into the third. I put it down and started another series. Someone will have to tell me what happens. Unless i decide to try again. I started Fifty Shades of Grey. It's hot and just yummy! :lol: It's a total indulgence. I love it!

I found the book ok for what it is but IMO I thought she didn't stay true to the nature of her main characters so I haven't bought the next books in the series.

I haven't read The Hunger Games yet :oops: I really have to get around to buying the first book. Preferably when there is a holiday as I have tendency to try to read books in one sitting.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Magpie09|1335657323|3183204 said:
beesha77|1334897450|3175900 said:

I found the book ok for what it is but IMO I thought she didn't stay true to the nature of her main characters so I haven't bought the next books in the series.

I haven't read The Hunger Games yet :oops: I really have to get around to buying the first book. Preferably when there is a holiday as I have tendency to try to read books in one sitting.

yep that's me too! I'm glad I waited til my spring break to read them, because my coworkers had been talking about it for months and I was like meh I won't do anything until I finish it if I start reading it.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Read The Hunger Games ladies!!! It's great :) :)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Let's see if we can get this thread rolling. Do you ladies have any fun weekend plans? Tomorrow SO and I are going to ride the train to San Francisco to see a baseball game, which I'm looking forward to! Whenever we go to SF we usually drive (it's only like 45 min away from us), so riding the train is going to be like a mini adventure!

On Sunday we're going back to SF for champagne brunch at this place that madelise has been raving about, so I decided we ought to give it a try. I'm so excited for it, I LOVE brunch!! And I also love champagne, so champagne and brunch together is like a match made in heaven! After brunch I don't know what we'll do, but the weather is supposed to be gorgeous this weekend so maybe we'll just wander around SF for the afternoon.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Sounds fun!! I really hope we get to get married in SF. All the suggestions you lovely Californians have made make me excited to go to SF!

As for us, no big plans. Getting the last of the things we need for Mimi's arrival next week! Darwin (the kitty) has a flea problem :( He's going to be super unhappy about it, but Andrew and I are going to take him over to Andrew's apartment, give him a flea bath, put on his new monthly topical medicine, a flea collar, and leave him there while we fog our apartment to get rid of anything that managed to stay behind. Then we'll be washing everything that can be washed, and using an over the counter spray on the things that can't be washed. HOPEFULLY this super aggressive approach will mitigate the problem before it gets out of hand. He only has some fleas on him but we've seen them occasionally in our apartment. With Mimi coming next week, we're hoping to get rid of them so we don't have TWO pets with the little pests. So that's our Saturday adventure plan :rolleyes:

Hopefully Sunday we can do something fun/relax, Saturday is going to be exhausting!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, that DOES sound exhausting. :errrr: Best of luck with the flea attack!

How do you think Darwin react to Mimi? I know he was around your other pup before, did he have a difficult time adjusting or was he super chill about it?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's not to the point of a problem yet, but I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes one.

I think Darwin and Mimi will be fine. Mimi's foster mom said that she ignores the cats at her house (she has two). Darwin is pretty chill, though he is alpha about what he wants. He had some difficulty adjusting to Molly before, but Molly was also a puppy that tried to interact with him a lot. Mimi is unlikely to do so. As always, there will be some transition, but not much. I'm hopeful that it'll go well!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, well it sounds like they've got personalities such that they'll just leave each other alone and be fine with that. I'm so excited for you to finally get Mimi, I know how much you're looking forward to having her! Part of me wishes I had a dog, but I also know that I wouldn't be a very good dog owner. They're such a huge commitment!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's my hope! That they will uneventfully coexist! Lol.

Dogs are a big commitment, but they are worth it. I think it helps when you really take the time to research the right breed for you. I think some people get in their heads what they want based on looks, and while yes, I want to think my doggie is cute, their personality is WAY more important when it comes to how they are going to meld into my life. A lot of people end up resenting the dogs they chose because they underestimate how much work it really is. And so many people want puppies. Um, puppies are HARD. THey take a lot more attention, diligence, training, and patience. Adult dogs often come pre-house broken and partially trained. A LOT less frustrating.

Sorry, off my soap box now. I think ANYONE has the potential to be a great doggie parent if they do their due diligence and know what they're getting in to.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
happy cinco de mayo ladies! anyone do anything fun, or have plans for tonight?

sadly I will be studying...exam on Monday, with another on Thursday. I did have some drinks this morning (mimosas though) at my friend's bridal shower brunch so that was a little bit of sunshine in the day hehe.

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
I started The Hunger Games yesterday and i'm now halfway through the Trilogy. Interested to see how it all ends. I accidently started reading book 3 instead of book 2 so I spoilered myself haha :oops:.

Good luck in your exams Pandabee!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Magpie09|1336288326|3188495 said:
I started The Hunger Games yesterday and i'm now halfway through the Trilogy. Interested to see how it all ends. I accidently started reading book 3 instead of book 2 so I spoilered myself haha :oops:.

thank you! haha you are funny. I liked the 2nd book the best of the 3!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Oh no! That is a bit of a spolier. Ah well, you'll still enjoy it!

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1336319324|3188676 said:

thank you! haha you are funny. I liked the 2nd book the best of the 3!
I'm pretty sure Catching Fire was my favorite too!

ETA: But personally, Mockingjay ended exactly how I was hoping it would, so I was very pleased with that.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck, pandabee!!

My weekend was SO FUN! The train ride to SF and subequent baseball game were a blast, though it was so freaking hot outside I ended up with a minor sunburn. :( After that we caught the train home and then walked to a fun area downtown for some drinks and appetizers.

Woke up on Sunday and drove back to SF for brunch. Holy cow, it was AMAZING!!! :love: Seriously, it was the most perfect brunch ever. The SF zoo is right down the street from the restaurant, so then we were like "Uh, zoo? Yes, please!" So we randomly spent the whole afternoon at the zoo before driving back home.

It was all so much fun, but now I feel like I need a day to recover from my weekend! :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
That sounds awesome SS! Way better than my de-fleaing fest! :lol:

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
star sparkle|1336408377|3189304 said:
Good luck, pandabee!!

My weekend was SO FUN! The train ride to SF and subequent baseball game were a blast, though it was so freaking hot outside I ended up with a minor sunburn. :( After that we caught the train home and then walked to a fun area downtown for some drinks and appetizers.

Woke up on Sunday and drove back to SF for brunch. Holy cow, it was AMAZING!!! :love: Seriously, it was the most perfect brunch ever. The SF zoo is right down the street from the restaurant, so then we were like "Uh, zoo? Yes, please!" So we randomly spent the whole afternoon at the zoo before driving back home.

It was all so much fun, but now I feel like I need a day to recover from my weekend! :lol:

Ohh what a fun weekend!

I know how you feel I had a busy weekend too and all I wanted to do was have a nap under my desk at work today. Afternoon naptime should be re-introduced to increase productivity.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Magpie09|1336479691|3189971 said:
I know how you feel I had a busy weekend too and all I wanted to do was have a nap under my desk at work today. Afternoon naptime should be re-introduced to increase productivity.
Agreed!!

As an aside -- are you a trade person? It's showing trade person above your posts (at least on my screen) and I didn't recall you being one. If you are, cool! If not, message the moderators to have them look into removing it!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the good wishes ladies! It was a rough exam...but it was my 2nd to last one (while I am still in school...still have that darn licensing one after I graduate haha). and it was only worth 9% of my grade, so it was really hard to motivate myself to study for it. but it's done! now just capstone projects til the end of the year. hoorahhhh

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, pandabee, you're so close!

Last night, SO and I were talking about honeymoon locations and we're pretty solidly set on Fiji. Gahh, I'm so excited!! I just want to go on our honeymoon NOW!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results