shape
carat
color
clarity

The June LIW Small Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We''re doing the living/dining rooms and the hallways in Benjamin Moore Jumel Peachtone (from their historical line), the tv room and master bedroom will be in Putnam Ivory (from the same line) and the guest bedroom will be in Yarmouth Blue (again, same line). The ceilings and trim will all be in BM White Blush. I''m psyched because we got a super good deal on the Eco-Spec line, so all the paint is 0 VOC.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have nothing against you.

Seriously DG, think about WHY people react to you the way you do. I mean COME ON. Because I think (and I KNOW I''m not alone) Tiffany''s is (in part) a rip off in terms of getting the most bang for you buck, I have something against you? Or because I''ve commented (And taken A LOT of my time to type well thought out responses btw) on your life situations, or answered your questions with unfailing honesty?

VICTIM COMPLEX. Yet again, (For what, the hundredth time? Oh no, just the 99th) you''re making EVERYONE else (namely ME in this instance) out to be the bad guy.

WHY do I keep trying to get you to see that? It''s like beating my head against a wall. Where is TGal''s avatar when I need it?

But really, we''ve been through this before. MANY TIMES. People don''t like it when you keep drama going (usually of the "poor me" variety) on multiple subforums.

Yes you can do as you want, but everyone else can as well. So if you get honest opinions WHEN YOU ASKED FOR THEM, there is NO REASON to complain.

I don''t know why I bother time and time again, but this was old the first time it happened. The second, third, fourth and fifth?

Oh, and no, you haven''t always been nice to me. There is that "Poor me, I''m nice to everyone" card too that you like to play. YOU HAVEN''T ALWAYS BEEN NICE TO ME. You have been flat out rude to me before, and it wasn''t with any intent to help. So you can take that line and...

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:52:52 PM
Author: ladypirate
Dear. God.

I am so ready for our house to be DONE! Or at least done enough to move in. Warning: vent ahead.

We had the walls upstairs retextured because they really needed it. Two of the rooms upstairs had wallpaper that had been painted over. We said that we would strip said wallpaper nearly a month ago because we both REALLY hate the look of painted over wallpaper and wanted to make sure that you couldn''t see it through the new texture. The wall guys said that we shouldn''t take it off because we wouldn''t be able to tell it was there anyway and the wallpaper would cover any cracks in the plaster walls.

In one of the rooms (the guest bedroom) we insisted because the wallpaper was coming off on its own. We did that in a couple of hours maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. The other bedroom (the master) the guy said was on there really securely and we shouldn''t do anything to it.

Fast forward to last Thursday evening.
20.gif

We went over to look at the new texture that they finished that day. Everything looked great until we got to the master bedroom. The wallpaper was bubbling under the new texture. We were livid. We called our general contractor who got the wall guy over the next morning at which point he assured me that they would fix it. We came back Friday night and while it looked better, it was by no means right.

This meant that we had to spend all weekend stripping wallpaper and it was WAY harder than it would have been if we had just done it in the first place because it had mudding and the new texture over it. Seriously. We started Saturday morning, worked all day Saturday, and then started again Sunday morning and didn''t finish until 4 AM Monday morning. Between us and the friend that helped on Saturday, we probably spent 40 hours on it. Oh and we were also supposed to paint this weekend. Think that got done? We got one coat of primer up in half the space we were supposed to do. Now we will have to paint after the new floors are finished and PRAY that we don''t get any drips on the brand new hardwood.

39.gif

Did I mention we''re also supposed to be moving this week?

If I haven''t been around much, that''s why. Sorry for the pity party--I''m just wiped out. I guess it really is a good thing I lost my job when I did! On the plus side, the texture now looks ok in the master bedroom, so at least it''s done and it''s right this time.

I would have been soooo frustrated if I had been in your shoes!!! But you seem to have an awesome attitude about it and are moving on.

We''re also doing some work in the house - just the kitchen - and it can definitely test your patience and sanity. But every time I look at the paint swatches or pictures of the new cabinets or our granite, it helps me see the brightside.

Hang in there!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 1:39:01 PM
We''re doing the living/dining rooms and the hallways in Benjamin Moore Jumel Peachtone (from their historical line), the tv room and master bedroom will be in Putnam Ivory (from the same line) and the guest bedroom will be in Yarmouth Blue (again, same line). The ceilings and trim will all be in BM White Blush. I''m psyched because we got a super good deal on the Eco-Spec line, so all the paint is 0 VOC.

i''m definitely going to have to look up this historical line. i bet they have more than enough revolutionary era themes to keep me occupied for hours, and i love that you got the 0 VOC version! i did an article about my campus'' new eco-friendly buildings so i spent a lot of time learning about VOCs (and attempting to explain them in as few words as possible) scary the effect they have on people.

Yarmouth Blue. love the name
30.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
LP, I am a teensy bit jealous of you (is that wrong?
9.gif
12.gif
). I think your new house is amazing! I am aching to buy a house (co-op living
20.gif
is not for me).

I, for one, can''t wait until you move in completely. AND YES, we will want more pictures
28.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
so many paint chips, so little time
9.gif

i love that they have virtual paint chips. now i will spend hours looking at colors

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:52:52 PM
Dear. God.

I am so ready for our house to be DONE! Or at least done enough to move in. Warning: vent ahead.

We had the walls upstairs retextured because they really needed it. Two of the rooms upstairs had wallpaper that had been painted over. We said that we would strip said wallpaper nearly a month ago because we both REALLY hate the look of painted over wallpaper and wanted to make sure that you couldn''t see it through the new texture. The wall guys said that we shouldn''t take it off because we wouldn''t be able to tell it was there anyway and the wallpaper would cover any cracks in the plaster walls.

In one of the rooms (the guest bedroom) we insisted because the wallpaper was coming off on its own. We did that in a couple of hours maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. The other bedroom (the master) the guy said was on there really securely and we shouldn''t do anything to it.

Fast forward to last Thursday evening.
20.gif

We went over to look at the new texture that they finished that day. Everything looked great until we got to the master bedroom. The wallpaper was bubbling under the new texture. We were livid. We called our general contractor who got the wall guy over the next morning at which point he assured me that they would fix it. We came back Friday night and while it looked better, it was by no means right.

This meant that we had to spend all weekend stripping wallpaper and it was WAY harder than it would have been if we had just done it in the first place because it had mudding and the new texture over it. Seriously. We started Saturday morning, worked all day Saturday, and then started again Sunday morning and didn''t finish until 4 AM Monday morning. Between us and the friend that helped on Saturday, we probably spent 40 hours on it. Oh and we were also supposed to paint this weekend. Think that got done? We got one coat of primer up in half the space we were supposed to do. Now we will have to paint after the new floors are finished and PRAY that we don''t get any drips on the brand new hardwood.

39.gif

Did I mention we''re also supposed to be moving this week?

If I haven''t been around much, that''s why. Sorry for the pity party--I''m just wiped out. I guess it really is a good thing I lost my job when I did! On the plus side, the texture now looks ok in the master bedroom, so at least it''s done and it''s right this time.
DUDE. That is seriously crap. i would have been so annoyed.

I''m glad its taken care of now.

You''ve got to be excited to be moving though!

And, along with Bia, I am jealous. I would kill to have a house right now that I could complain about when a contractor made a mistake.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
LP, I''m with you on working on a house SUCKING. BF and I were talking last night, and I told him that if a lot of things worked in our favour and he got a fixer-upper that I''d help fix it up. I hate all of the work that goes into it, but I love the satisfaction of making it just the way you want it.

As for painting on hardwood, just scan the floor every few minutes so you can wipe up any drips right away. And be thankful you''re not painting over light beige carpet.
14.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Bia - I know I shouldn''t complain, I''m just ready for us to move in already, you know? It''s almost like owning the house hasn''t sunk in yet and it still feels like a big project rather than a home. I promise I will post pictures when we are all moved in.

Curly Sue - thanks for the commiseration. How''s the kitchen coming?

Squirrly - Have fun on the BM site! I love the part where you can try out different colors in the rooms.

Elle - I am excited to move! I am packing like a madwoman this week.

Princesss - I hear you on having it just the way you want it. The stuff that we''ve done so far has made such a huge difference. I''m really excited to see it all painted and pretty with our stuff in it.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for letting me vent.
1.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 3:45:28 PM
Squirrly - Have fun on the BM site! I love the part where you can try out different colors in the rooms.
vent anytime, that's what this thread is for, although sometimes i feel like i need to duck and cover more than anything
25.gif

they... they have a paint color called southern comfort.
i am not on a mission to paint an entire virtual house with nothing but booze related paint names.
next up will be food.
then places.

ETA: i just made a bedroom using red wine named paints. and yes, it will be called the red, red wiiiiiiiiine room.

37.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 4:01:18 PM
Author: Squirrly

Date: 6/23/2009 3:45:28 PM
vent anytime, that''s what this thread is for, although sometimes i feel like i need to duck and cover more than anything
25.gif

they... they have a paint color called southern comfort.
i am not on a mission to paint an entire virtual house with nothing but booze related paint names.
next up will be food.
then places.

ETA: i just made a bedroom using red wine named paints. and yes, it will be called the red, red wiiiiiiiiine room.

37.gif
LOL.

I love it!
3.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i also made a margaritaville kitchen. my attempts at making a wine themed bathroom have um ended up with a barbie mansion worthy room. rather frightening. i thinki'm going to ghange room pics and see what that gets me.

i feel horribly lazy, perhaps i should get moving, but there is a heat advisory and i still have a living room to make... and another bedroom...

Minced Onion should not be above Cotton Balls on the paint chip card things. especially not when i'm skimming over them. and i sincerely hope they never make a Minced Balls color.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 4:47:34 PM
i also made a margaritaville kitchen. my attempts at making a wine themed bathroom have um ended up with a barbie mansion worthy room. rather frightening. i thinki''m going to ghange room pics and see what that gets me.

i feel horribly lazy, perhaps i should get moving, but there is a heat advisory and i still have a living room to make... and another bedroom...

You''re making me thirsty with these drink-inspired rooms, Squirrly.... I could go for a margarita right now. Or a glass of wine. But no Southern Comfort - that stuff makes me gag, due to some over-imbibing I did during my college years .

I just realized I''m in a foul mood today. Can''t shake it. Ever have one of those days? I don''t really have anything to attribute it to - I''m just very easily irritated today. Blech.

LP - to answer your question, our kitchen is coming along just fine. We are doing all the demolition on our own. We already had some slate floors installed in one area of the kitchen, and now we are just prepping for our cabinet install. So tonight we will finish up with painting, tomorrow we''ll put in some new frames around doors, and then Thursday we''ll put in our baseboards and molding.

My BF thankfully LOVES these projects, even when they exhaust him out. I think he''s nuts, but I love his dedication to it. I do have to say that I have no prior experience with stuff like this, so I actually really enjoy learning about it, seeing how things work, and getting a true sense of all the things that go into owning, renovating, and/or maintaining a home. I watch a whole lot of HGTV, but experiencing the reality gives me a whole new appreciation for it.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 5:16:31 PM
Author: CurlySue
I just realized I''m in a foul mood today. Can''t shake it. Ever have one of those days? I don''t really have anything to attribute it to - I''m just very easily irritated today. Blech.

yup i have those days a lot, so i usually call M and tell him to fix me. the boy is good at making me laugh, it''s how he won me over in the first place. of course, bless his soul he knows when it''s time for me to be moody each month better than i do. it''s not so much i get cranky, it''s more i get really depressed for seemingly no reason and things start making me cry.

when i need a pick me up i''ll read my webcomics and fmylife and failblog. xkcd is a good comic, especially if you''re geeky like me.

and i understand about the overdoing bit on liquor. my first college trip after turning 21 was to St. L for a basketball tourney with the pep band. we couldn''t find any liquor stores open that evening (it was friday too!) so we had to order from a place that delivered booze and pizza. well i wanted jager, i hadn''t had much of it before but i knew it was M''s favorite so i wanted to get used to it so we could enjoy it together. my friend wanted some vodka for mixing... well we ordered and it came to $50, thought it was horribly expensive, but we were in a big city so just figured it was due to that.
nope.
ended up with a liter of jager and a liter of vodka. and of course i was the only one who liked black licorice. to make things better, i live at home to save $ while in school and well, my parents still haven''t gotten used to the idea that i can drink legally (they don''t drink much). sooo i finished the liter over 4 nights by myself. i can still drink jager but i have to be in the right mood, otherwise it''s just one shot for me.

that was also the trip i got stuck in an elevator. for anyone who''s wondering all it takes to do is to have only two girls in the elevator and to jump at the same time. oh and you get cell phone reception in the back right corner. and I Spy is hard to play in a mirrored box. and calling your friends in the hotel trying to see if you can avoid using the emergency phone and find a way to make it go again doesn''t work. however it does mean you''ll have a crowd of drunken people with cameras waiting.
on the plus side they called two fire trucks and the chief of the department to get us two girls out, and we were honestly told to grab on to nothing other than the firemen when getting out. and the band directors toasted us from the bar as we came down the escalator to the lobby. our friends made us take the stairs back up though, good thing hotels don''t have a floor 13.
19.gif

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
that was also the trip i got stuck in an elevator. for anyone who''s wondering all it takes to do is to have only two girls in the elevator and to jump at the same time. oh and you get cell phone reception in the back right corner. and I Spy is hard to play in a mirrored box. and calling your friends in the hotel trying to see if you can avoid using the emergency phone and find a way to make it go again doesn''t work. however it does mean you''ll have a crowd of drunken people with cameras waiting.
on the plus side they called two fire trucks and the chief of the department to get us two girls out, and we were honestly told to grab on to nothing other than the firemen when getting out. and the band directors toasted us from the bar as we came down the escalator to the lobby. our friends made us take the stairs back up though, good thing hotels don''t have a floor 13.
19.gif

So.... this made me laugh. A lot.

Thanks.
1.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
no problem
5.gif

oh and later that year on our wind ensemble tour we had a free day in chicago. we were with separate groups of people, who happened to meet up at the sears tower. we were at floor 50 when i realized that she and i were in an elevator together again. there might have been some death threats made after i pointed that out.

i behaved
12.gif
considering i''m terrified of falling and wouldn''t have tried it anywhere near that high. but i didn''t have to tell them that
9.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
hooray the fruits of my labor. well at least my time wasting.
my red red wiiiiine bedroom, wine and bubbles bathroom, liquored living room and margaritaville kitchen: (they didn''t turn out half as bad as i thought they would)

alcohouse.JPG

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
That looks gorgeous Squirrly!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
thanks DG!
5.gif
the whole room designer thing is too much fun to play with, but i''m having to capture the screen and save the images myself since the site won''t save the fun wall finishes
7.gif

there are far too many themes to try. i might skip food theme for now and try military. that or things that have something personal to me or M in the title.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Freke- I really wish you and I could set aside our differences. You often feel that my posts are "oh, woe is me" and I feel that your replies are AGRESSIVE to say the least. So what is it that you and I need to do to call it all a truce? Because I truly wish we could get past whateaver it is that is lying beneath our posts to one another...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m so done with this week.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Differences? Do you honestly think I''m the only person who feels this way?

And aggressive? Yes. 11,200+ posts and ALL of them are aggressive. Give me a break. Not even 5% of those would be aggressive. I bet not even 1%.

Your perception is messed up. I would like someone else, besides DG, that has reasonable experience here on PS to tell me I''m aggressive. Thanks.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 7:47:16 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Differences? Do you honestly think I''m the only person who feels this way?

And aggressive? Yes. 11,200+ posts and ALL of them are aggressive. Give me a break. Not even 5% of those would be aggressive. I bet not even 1%.

Your perception is messed up. I would like someone else, besides DG, that has reasonable experience here on PS to tell me I''m aggressive. Thanks.
Freke please, I''m trying to work this out here. Your responses TO ME are AGRESSIVE. Look above...

Don''t insult me. And your saying I''m unreasonable? I would like to get past our differences. I''m honestly trying to work things out between us here and you are just making it worse. I''m asking you, how shall YOU AND I without anyone else being invloved get past whatever it is that is between us?

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
I know that FF and I are enjoying a complete day to ourselves, but I couldn''t help but jump online to catch up, and share a funny story

Last night we get here around midnight, and we get out of the car to see the little fainting goat standing in the little garden by the door. Well, FF catches it and brings it back to the goat pen, where he looks for the big (and ornery) goat, old Nick. Now, I like the goats-- when they''re in their goat pen! Old Nick has a tendency to charge anyone who enters his pen. Turns out, Old Nick wasn''t there.

I was literally so afraid of him running and charging at me with his horns-- and it was SO dark, we couldn''t see anything.

I felt like I was in Jurassic Park (I know, its so ridiculous!!!), so I rushed inside and we texted his brother to let him know the goat was out. He told us just to see if we could find him in the morning. So, we got ready to go into the hot tub, got some beer, and I went to the front door to go turn off the lights for the outside, so I go to the door, look out before I turn off the light, and there''s Old Nick-- standing on the stairs--STARING AT ME.

It was terrifying.

Annnnnyway, the goats are back, and we''re having a great time. I just had to share
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
My family gets here soon!

I''m busy trying to get the house ready for their visit. And by that, I mean I''m sitting on the couch watching House, doing laundry, and eating WAY too much. My self control is down to ZERO today. Well....5%. I''ve got a little bit.
19.gif

I''m excited to see my family. It might be tough for a little while (they''ll be here for over a month, parents AND siblings) because I''m pretty independent and I feel like this could be a little claustrophobic. But I love them and miss them and haven''t seen all them for more than a week in a year and a half. AND, for once, I get both my family and my BF for a prolonged period of time. That''s never happened. Ever.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 8:39:50 PM
Author: lilmissrugger
I know that FF and I are enjoying a complete day to ourselves, but I couldn''t help but jump online to catch up, and share a funny story

Last night we get here around midnight, and we get out of the car to see the little fainting goat standing in the little garden by the door. Well, FF catches it and brings it back to the goat pen, where he looks for the big (and ornery) goat, old Nick. Now, I like the goats-- when they''re in their goat pen! Old Nick has a tendency to charge anyone who enters his pen. Turns out, Old Nick wasn''t there.

I was literally so afraid of him running and charging at me with his horns-- and it was SO dark, we couldn''t see anything.

I felt like I was in Jurassic Park (I know, its so ridiculous!!!), so I rushed inside and we texted his brother to let him know the goat was out. He told us just to see if we could find him in the morning. So, we got ready to go into the hot tub, got some beer, and I went to the front door to go turn off the lights for the outside, so I go to the door, look out before I turn off the light, and there''s Old Nick-- standing on the stairs--STARING AT ME.

It was terrifying.

Annnnnyway, the goats are back, and we''re having a great time. I just had to share
3.gif

Okay, that story just gave me a mini heart attack reading it. I can''t imagine living it!

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Princess- it was sooooo incredibly scary!!!

Have fun with your family! I also have a big family, and I know if I see them for tooooo long a period of time, it definitely can get claustrophobic- that''s when I grab a book and go hide in the attic for half an hour, lol.

Hope you have a great time, and enjoy the family/bf combo!
1.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
right now i''m picturing a goat staring down a girl on steps, and i''m hearing the jaws theme
25.gif

glad you escaped the ''goaps'' hehe

and +2 for a good weekend with family and boy! i hope your fam appreciates your painting!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 9:30:08 PM
right now i''m picturing a goat staring down a girl on steps, and i''m hearing the jaws theme
25.gif

glad you escaped the ''goaps'' hehe

and +2 for a good weekend with family and boy! i hope your fam appreciates your painting!

They really do. At least my sister (whose room I''m painting) does.

BF doesn''t know how to handle this. We never did the whole dating around parents thing, so now that I''ll be in the same house with them for basically 5 weeks I think he doesn''t know what to do. LOL. They love him, though, so it''s definitely not going to be a problem.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
is he staying in the house with you and your fam? and it''s great that your fam loves him so much, i''m sure he''ll get slightly more comfortable by the 5th week
9.gif

glad your sis likes her room! hey, if they think you''re acting funny at all you can just blame the paint fumes
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results