shape
carat
color
clarity

The journey to a larger carat size

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see this often with super ideals since folks can trade up to larger sizes. Sorry this is so long but I think it explains some of my buying and selling. There is some method to the madness! Also, even though I could have just saved and bought a one carat, trying out the different cuts, different colors, and different styles was helpful, part of the learning experience.

As an example, I started with a 1.23 OEC with a 6.9mm diameter but I am OCD and the chips on the girdle gave me huge anxiety so I sold her:

D0E58B10-DED4-4256-9FF4-E8EBEBF6C5E1.jpeg

From some of the proceeds of that sale I bought a ring with a transitional to try that flavor, the center stone half a carat:

E76D41C8-19A2-49A4-B217-AE38299344EB.jpeg

I discovered the finger coverage of the additional diamonds really worked but I really liked an OEC a bit more. Didn’t immediately sell this one but then this ring popped up on Mercari. It was sold to me as a carat but ended up being 3/4 and it was an OEC but with a closed culet! So now I had the OEC again but still wasn’t at one carat, still she was charming so eventually she got reset:

83D72171-163D-46B5-8889-B20151D1C922.jpeg

I was still poking around to see if I could get a one carat
OEC but it had to be a great price and I discovered I liked the finger coverage of some additional stones around it. Posted this in “Someone needs to buy” but nobody bought it. Made and offer and then I became the proud owner of a .85 OEC AND it had a lovely halo design around it with the finger coverage I wanted:

25C5C148-61B0-4D6F-8EED-CCD0115748E9.jpeg

There was only one thing, couldn’t really stack with this so for a combined anniversary/birthday gift I bought a 3/4 carat champagne color OEC, technically going backwards in size but filled a need for stacking and also got to try out the champagne color range.

D54FD786-8379-4408-A153-10C593C970B4.jpeg

I discovered champagne worked for me. At this point, I sold the transitional knowing it didn’t really scratch the itch and sold a bunch of other little rings and bands I acquired along the way. Can I find a one carat champagne? Yes! However it was a brilliant cut and a total dog so back it went.

However there was a ring I had favorited and forgot about. A 1.10 champagne OEC, the diameter 6.5mm, yes this one is bottom heavy, I can relate :) Per the seller she is a champagne/light cinnamon color, she has a halo of diamonds so a little extra finger coverage. If she ends up a winner then I will be at a carat in an OEC! These are the seller’s pictures:

845693F1-F8DF-4C7A-A3A3-9BEC2550C7F7.jpeg

66ED53DA-9EB5-4E87-83C7-D6F28A6AE745.jpeg

I was playing around on Brilliant Earth to see what the difference in finger coverage might look like between the 3/4 carat OEC and the 1.10:

Current:
2BD54D6B-88A3-4095-BE09-CA486018C5BD.jpeg

Potential:
B7006D20-8A86-41C6-90EB-D2A066E62AEE.jpeg

I probably will keep playing the trade up game but accomplishing the goal of getting a one carat old cut (using only the funds from selling already acquired bling) is pretty satisfying.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo I love the champagne color of that OEC!

Thanks and also thank you for your opinion on the one I returned. Despite the less than great pics, I have high hopes for this one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks and also thank you for your opinion on the one I returned. Despite the less than great pics, I have high hopes for this one.

Oh yeah, this one looks soooo much more promising than the other in terms of how the cut flatters the stone color.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh this is quite the process. Thank you for sharing. It shows how you learn more about what you like. This shows your progression and it's like a good but expensive hobby. I sometimes find that I enjoy hunting down a bargain more than the actual purchase.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maryjane04, It really is a process and can be expensive but I try to stay within certain limits. The thrill of the chase really is the best part sometimes!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
New ring looks very pretty! What’s your eventual aim?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love this journey as I'm learning right along with you and with the thrill of vicarious deals, it's my jam :praise:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, I don’t think there is a “one” for me. I still consider my heart ring a holy grail piece but old cuts are each so unique, I’m not sure I could ever just pick one.

@meely thank you for asking this because I really had to think about it. The end game is either an 1.50 OEC OR whenever I get to the point where I can’t part with anything to trade up. If the dream ring is going to cost my entire collection of journey pieces I still own, then I’m probably done.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou, thank you! I’m glad this thread is helpful even for one person. This is kind of like a game for me, thinking of rings as pieces, each one you buy gets you closer to the end. However you must choose wisely as you go or you might have to start over ;-)

Thanks @OdetteOdile, I’ve had to kiss a few frogs but it’s all part of learning. As for selling, I just buy what I like and get a thrill when someone loves a piece enough to add it to their collection.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for selling, I just buy what I like and get a thrill when someone loves a piece enough to add it to their collection.

I, for one, am glad for your journey. I would never ever have such a great OEC, if not for you!
And FYI, those girdle chips rarely cross my mind!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, for one, am glad for your journey. I would never ever have found such a great OEC, if not for you!
And FYI, those girdle chips rarely cross my mind!

Aw thanks, I’m glad you have her now and she is well loved. I don’t say this lightly or for attention but I really believe I have OCD, that’s why the chips bothered me so much. Years ago I got on a weight loss kick and lost 70lbs but I was obsessed with the gym and the scale. I’ve only recently realized how hyper-focused I get on things.

As a kid my mom bought me a Cabbage Patch Doll, she was lucky to find it, this was the height of their popularity. I treasured that doll and cleaned her face everyday but then one day I noticed a small scratch in her eye. I put her in her little doll chair and didn’t play with her after that because she was imperfect.

I still have that doll and she is in my case but this apparently had been with me a long time.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fun! Can I ask—did you originally start with a princess cut? If so, what happened to it and what did you realize about it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fun! Can I ask—did you originally start with a princess cut? If so, what happened to it and what did you realize about it?

Yes good memory! My original engagement ring was from Zales, .62 F color but terribly cut. Also I never took it off so after ten years two corners ended up chipped. I still have it though. I also got another princess cut for our 10 year anniversary, that was a 1.01 G VVS2. Shortly after that I found old cuts, sold the 1.01 and never looked back!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, I don’t think there is a “one” for me. I still consider my heart ring a holy grail piece but old cuts are each so unique, I’m not sure I could ever just pick one.

@meely thank you for asking this because I really had to think about it. The end game is either an 1.50 OEC OR whenever I get to the point where I can’t part with anything to trade up. If the dream ring is going to cost my entire collection of journey pieces I still own, then I’m probably done.

Ok cool. If you know what you want you are at least in a position to work out how you might obtain it! And you can enjoy your beautiful collection in the meantime. And no I agree I wouldn’t swap all my jewelry for one ring. What a thought! :-o

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love this champagne OEC in a halo - can’t wait to see handshots when it arrives!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @foxinsox, I will share pictures when she gets here, this week hopefully!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So do you plan to keep blondie if you go with the halo?

I think so, because she will probably still be the best for stacking and I really love my sapphire eternity band. It seems to be a little difficult to find a good champagne color old cut. Heck just finding a champagne diamond that isn’t distractingly included is not easy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@junebug17, thanks June! The seller is the same shop I bought my Fancy Pants setting from. She says it is a sparkle bomb! From the pictures it does look to have a small table and a puffy crown so I am hopeful!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh @YadaYadaYada How ever did I miss this thread?! I love the new halo ring and agree the coverage issue is real. Exciting that it was still there when you went back for it! It was meant to be for you!!
So happy for you and so look forward to pics and reactions!!
Happy belated birthday!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m excited to see it also and it’s really cool that you can look to see what the finger coverage will be. I also know what you mean about the finance side of it – for me I also want to feel like I got a really good deal on something in addition to a pretty piece. I’m really like that way with clothes and shoes. If it isn’t 75% off I’m not interested even if I could pay the full price! I’m still amazed at that pawn shop OEC find that went to @stracci2000 ! Can’t wait to see the new one.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Slick1 for the birthday wishes! I know you get the finger coverage thing. I think one carat with a bit of halo will be a good size for me.

@Mreader, that’s actually one of my top questions, what is the diameter of the stone because old cuts can be deep. That feature on Brilliant Earth really helps though. I’m with you on getting a good deal too, that’s was also why I wanted to see a champagne OEC because they do tend to be priced lower.

Yes that pawn shop OEC find was probably once in a lifetime but now I’ve got a new connection with another pawn shop so we’ll see if anything comes from that.

Thanks @Slick1 for the birthday wishes! I know you get the finger coverage thing. I think one carat with a bit of halo will be a good size for me.

@Mreader, that’s actually one of my top questions, what is the diameter of the stone because old cuts can be deep. That feature on Brilliant Earth really helps though. I’m with you on getting a good deal too, that’s was also why I wanted to see a champagne OEC because they do tend to be priced lower.

Yes that pawn shop OEC find was probably once in a lifetime but now I’ve got a new connection with another pawn shop so we’ll see if anything comes from that.

Any chance you can make friends with the pawn shops here by where I live and be my secret shopper? You can start a side business!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, that would be so fun, basically my dream job. Thing is, it is a hit or miss scenario. A lot of times there is nothing good but sometimes you find a treasure. I got my first rose cut diamond from a pawn shop, what a thrill!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results