shape
carat
color
clarity

The giant rings thread... for lovers of big CS rings

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love the ship one (and all the others)
is it ceramic ?

The ship ring is called scrimshaw. It's a style of carving that sailors used to do in the old whaling days. It's made from bone.
They carved scenes on whale's teeth, animal horn, ivory and bone. Original 18th-19th century carvings are very expensive. I bought this piece, which is a modern carving on bone, from a shop in Maui, Hawaii. Hawaii used to be a whaling hotspot in the 19th century, and many shops there have
old-timey nautical items.
Here are more pieces that I have. One is carved on a fossilized walrus tooth, and the other piece is on fossilized mammoth ivory. Since elephant ivory is banned, modern "scrimshanders" use fossilized material, which is also ivory, but is not outlawed.
IMG_20171229_204222666.jpg

Here is a piece that I am lusting after. It is in the case at an antique shop, and it is on a whale's tooth.
IMG_20191108_142933488.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ship ring is called scrimshaw. It's a style of carving that sailors used to do in the old whaling days. It's made from bone.
They carved scenes on whale's teeth, animal horn, ivory and bone. Original 18th-19th century carvings are very expensive. I bought this piece, which is a modern carving on bone, from a shop in Maui, Hawaii. Hawaii used to be a whaling hotspot in the 19th century, and many shops there have
old-timey nautical items.
Here are more pieces that I have. One is carved on a fossilized walrus tooth, and the other piece is on fossilized mammoth ivory. Since elephant ivory is banned, modern "scrimshanders" use fossilized material, which is also ivory, but is not outlawed.
IMG_20171229_204222666.jpg

Here is a piece that I am lusting after. It is in the case at an antique shop, and it is on a whale's tooth.
IMG_20191108_142933488.jpg

wow that's very interesting
i am descended from whalers who came to NZ in the early 1800s

there are indeed some very talented people in the world

just imangine how old your pieces must be
incredible !

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous thread with magnificent rings!

Here are some of DW's favorites; an 11.50ct Green Beryl, an 8.64tcw Ruby Cabochon, a 27.51ct Yellow Sapphire, an 8.18ct Hot Pink Tourmaline Ringdant, and a 7.40ct Tanzanite.

Green Beryl Ring 3.jpg Ruby Cabochon Ring 2.jpg Yellow Sapphire and Marquise Diamond Ring 7 (2).jpg 2 Hot Pink Ringdant 1.jpg Tanzanite Ring 7.40ct 2.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Here are some of DW's favorites; an 11.50ct Green Beryl, an 8.64tcw Ruby Cabochon, a 27.51ct Yellow Sapphire, an 8.18ct Hot Pink Tourmaline Ringdant, and a 7.40ct Tanzanite.

Green Beryl Ring 3.jpg Ruby Cabochon Ring 2.jpg Yellow Sapphire and Marquise Diamond Ring 7 (2).jpg 2 Hot Pink Ringdant 1.jpg Tanzanite Ring 7.40ct 2.jpg
SWOON! Especially that yellow sapphire. Pure sunshine!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

That tanzanite.........please may I see its full face? So gorgeous. Thank you.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock

Can I ask how are the rubies set? Are they individually cut to allow the diamonds to sit between them? :kiss2:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh darn.. didn't get any notifications that there were further posts on this thread.. sorry for the late reply.
:kiss2:Thanks for the compliments on the heart ring bling_dream19! It's funny.. I couldn't wait to get that heart ring and ended up not wearing it much.
Hi voce! It was tough balancing act on the carnation but I snapped fast and it worked! =)2

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I ask how are the rubies set? Are they individually cut to allow the diamonds to sit between them? :kiss2:

I looked closely at the ring but this setting is way beyond my level of jewellery expertise. :eek-2: So I dug out the appraisal and it describes the setting as follows: "The twelve oval cabochon cut natural rubies are set into tension, the eighty round brilliant cut natural diamonds are set into bead heads"

We have matching earrings and instead of groupings of tiny diamonds between the rubies, those have single, larger diamonds set into bezel heads between the rubies.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
L
Hi @ChaiK here's a LINK to the old thread on this tanzanite ring, and here's a rather poor full face photo, but it's the only one I have:

Tanzanite Ring 7.40ct 6.jpg

Lovely ring. Blues and red are hard to photograph . I think this one is gorgeous.

Reactions: prs

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I looked closely at the ring but this setting is way beyond my level of jewellery expertise. :eek-2: So I dug out the appraisal and it describes the setting as follows: "The twelve oval cabochon cut natural rubies are set into tension, the eighty round brilliant cut natural diamonds are set into bead heads"

We have matching earrings and instead of groupings of tiny diamonds between the rubies, those have single, larger diamonds set into bezel heads between the rubies.

I keep coming back for an another look - such an unusual and stunning design!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! I was hoping you'd post, may we see more of some? :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Thank you. When I have time, I may post. Now inundated with work. It's that time of the year, before I go skiing, so it is mad in the work front.

Reactions: AV_

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally reset my 9 carat Nigerian aqua that I had in my collection for 25 years. I took some pics at the jewelers as it was a crummy day outside. I thought my mint garnet was huge but it’s tiny next to this ring in photos. 8583D267-C196-4DD6-9D6B-B21CD8B9074B.jpeg 253E8D11-46FC-4678-9CBF-768BAF6B392B.jpeg FD0AE960-C41F-4E39-A10E-D63F78AC5D91.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg...wow! Is this a new acquisition? It's finger coverage is crazy :O

Bought it a few months ago as part of my Jade wishlist.

I'm disorganized so keep scattering my posts here and there!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Bought it a few months ago as part of my Jade wishlist.

I'm disorganized so keep scattering my posts here and there!

Sorry about that! Still, it's a lovely ring, love that shade of lavender!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about that! Still, it's a lovely ring, love that shade of lavender!

Ooh no need to apologise hun!!!! Even I can't keep track of what I've posted!!!!

Hehe have started a no buy ban though (getting a house) so I'll be enjoying all the old rings for a long time yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results