shape
carat
color
clarity

The Fire Thread!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are a few from my other thread that I like...

ETA: was going to embed them since they're already uploaded but can't seem to manage that despite my basic knowledge of html LOL so here's links if anyone is interested - sorry!

This first one is blurry, out of focus - shows how all of those little tiny twinkles refract.
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC21.jpg

This one is in focus and in full sunlight, you can still see the tiny twinkles but they're not as rainbowy:
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC26.jpg

This one is by candlelight - it is obviously out of focus but the in person flares were just as good, but real life sized lol:
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC37.jpg

This pic you can see a lot of different types of rainbow going on:
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC66.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics! Mama sun and baby sun! And yes Garry, I have burned my retinas
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC63.jpg

I like this one too - the right side is all reflection of the sky and the left side has three little flares and a bunch of sparklies!
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC97.jpg

This one is very in focus on the diamond and the flares are still big (big facets make big flares) but they're not flaring out like auroras all over the place like in some of the others.
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cbOMC100.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have my new bauble to play with yet but here''s my OEC showing some fire. these were all taken inside with a flash.

questfireshot1.jpg

questfireshot2.jpg

questfireshot3.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen...just love the 3rd picture. All that pretty green.

Rosebud8506...all I can say is WOW...look at all that sparkle!

Mrs.Salvo....lovely OEC. You have very nice hands.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget, it''s about time. lol I''ve been waiting for your Asscher to show up. Awesome!
36.gif

cehra, your stone is just phenominal in the fire department, seriously. Great shots!

mrss. beautiful pics, and ring! I''ve never seen it before, vera nice. And I''m jealous of your skinny lil fingers.
25.gif

Keep em coming guys!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 12:45:24 PM
Author: Ellen
Widget, it''s about time. lol I''ve been waiting for your Asscher to show up. Awesome!
36.gif

cehra, your stone is just phenominal in the fire department, seriously. Great shots!
I''m glad to see some asscher fire too!! More please!! And thanks, my stone does have a ton of fire that''s very easy to catch, but like garry used to say that brilliance killed fire, well fire kills brilliance too LOL Just the angles that make insane fire don''t necessariy make for brilliance... my stone is not very brilliant at all in fact that aqua photo I posted here is probably the most brilliant shot I have of my diamond - it''s very hard to catch ''full white'' but it''s hard NOT to catch fire!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, you guys....I wasn''t even sure an asscher could perform...now I''m having WAY too much fun playing with my camera.

Here''s one where there appears to be free-floating "balls of fire"...weird, huh? It''s almost like my stone is haunted!
23.gif

widget

000_3947.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
....another one. Hee hee...this is so fun...

000_3978.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow widget, just beautiful....

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
this is fun

five stone 1ctw from SP

rbx11.JPG

blbx22.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget, wow, that first one really is neat! And it is fun isn''t it?
9.gif

sevens, very beautiful shots! and ring!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful fire thread Ellen, Thanks!

widget

Ideal_Rock
LOL....I just can''t quit! I PROMISE these are the last two!
1.gif

000_3986.jpg

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Wow...what a cool thread! I love everyone''s bling bling! I found a few old pictures on my computer. I''ll try to take some better ones. All these pictures were taken indoor except the last one.

AVEternity1.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock

AVEternityPrincess.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
out focus colorful flashes

AVEternityPrincess1.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
in focus

AVEternityPrincess2.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
darker background white flashes only

AVEternityPrincess3.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
outdoor under direct sun light

EternityPrincess.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/8/2006 9:38:06 PM
Author: fafa
darker background white flashes only

Great shots everyone.

The pattern is there - darker backgrounds = brighter diamonds. Out of focus = more fire.

Widget that one of your asscher about 30 pics back is a great combo of fire and brightness. Posted at 10/7/2006 2:57:47 PM

(apologiy''s to Wink for breaking his rules. Can''t help it mate!!!!!!)
LOL Gary,

Here is this beauiful pictorial of fire and you have to go turn it in to a technical conversation. Sit back and smell the roses aussie, we''ll go fight the tech wars in another thread! For this one, pictures rule!

Wink ;-)
Wink Jones GG Winfield''s

I am sure i can make it up to you at Vegas next year (nod nod, wink wink)

widget

Ideal_Rock

Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Widget that one of your asscher about 30 pics back is a great combo of fire and brightness. Posted at 10/7/2006 2:57:47 PM
Thanks, Garry.

That picture you referenced is the ONLY one out of about a million attempts where diamond itself is actually in focus....

I have a question...while you''re here...
2.gif
: Which is a better example of "Fire"...colors reflected off the stone itself...sort of like this OMC below (or even better, Cehra''s avatar), or flying around in space?

Aren''t these "bombs bursting in air" more camera tricks than realistic examples of "fire"??

widget

0etr60.jpg

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Here''s one that I took today while the sun was out:

47b6ce29b3127cce8da8cbbba85b00000016102BYuGTZwyYw

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2006 10:27:58 PM
Author: widget

Thanks, Garry.

That picture you referenced is the ONLY one out of about a million attempts where diamond itself is actually in focus....

2.gif
: Which is a better example of ''Fire''...colors reflected off the stone itself...sort of like this OMC below (or even better, Cehra''s avatar), or flying around in space?

Aren''t these ''bombs bursting in air'' more camera tricks than realistic examples of ''fire''??

widget
hey widget - did you see this thread of mine? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-identify.50527/

I posted the pic below hoping to have the different types of fire defined, or rather named. I do not have an example like in my avatar because I don''t consider that fire. Those are just strictly reflections of color and sure they might split a bit but it''s still different... more like a kaleidoscope in a hall of mirrors..

In the pics below all four are full sun, all four are in focus on the diamond...
#1 has the little tiny sparkles that wink compared to those of an opal and I agree.
#2 has a typical medium size crown flare.
#3 has a small flare and sparkles but mostly my attention is on the big facet where you can see a refraction (not a reflection like my avatar) where it isn''t really leaping OUT of the diamond like those flares, but is spreading the fire over the surface of the diamond.
#4 is a huge flare that can be analyzed quite easily... the huge crown facet is reflecting on the huge pavilion main and I caught the big broad flash dead on, not only that but it sent a huge corona that turned the whole picture purplish.

I don''t think I agree with Garry that there is *more* fire when it is out of focus.... I think it is just different. I can catch the tiny specks of sparkle in photos and i can catch them out of focus where they look all refracted - but in real life they''re constantly shifting in and out of spectrum and in a way - both in focus and out of focus attempt equally to capture something that is in motion and impossible to truly capture in still.

cbfire3.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay in this pic I''ve got the rainbows on the wall.... the diamond is about 3'' from the wall. It would be smaller but stronger from 1 foot. As the spectrum rolls over the eye there is a certain degree of "halo" in your vision JUST LIKE in some of the big "flare" pictures. I don''t know that you can accurately nail the look of a diamond''s fire in a still photo, but I think the reality of it can be extrapolated from a variety of fire photos.

cbfire4.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/8/2006 10:27:58 PM
Author: widget

Thanks, Garry.

2.gif
: Which is a better example of ''Fire''...colors reflected off the stone itself...sort of like this OMC below (or even better, Cehra''s avatar), or flying around in space?

Aren''t these ''bombs bursting in air'' more camera tricks than realistic examples of ''fire''??

widget
Yes Widget - some of that is I think inter lens flare - most camera lenses are multiple sets of lenses used to remove chromatic distortion. Rhino was discussing some human optical abberrations - but cameras have a lot more. It was one of the problems I had with the brilliancescope - where the flare the camera sees is not the same as a human eye would see. I guess also the sensitivity of the CCD capture or film exposure etc - that is another thing that makes some of this thread lots of fun - but not like what we see unless we make our eyes deliberately out of focus etc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/9/2006 12:22:26 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Okay in this pic I''ve got the rainbows on the wall.... the diamond is about 3'' from the wall. It would be smaller but stronger from 1 foot. As the spectrum rolls over the eye there is a certain degree of ''halo'' in your vision JUST LIKE in some of the big ''flare'' pictures. I don''t know that you can accurately nail the look of a diamond''s fire in a still photo, but I think the reality of it can be extrapolated from a variety of fire photos.
You are right -just having the flash does not show you what you will actually see.

I have probably quoted this line before:

A pupil diameter of 3 mm at a viewing distance of 25 cm creates an angular size of 0.7° for the possibility of light to enter the eye. For an observer to see a ‘pure’ spectral colour, a gem must have a high fan of angular dispersion. But because green is in the central region of the spectrum, there is a high chance that green will be mixed with other colours, and appear whiter. For this reason the greater the distance between the gem and the observer, the more pure the fire one can see.

http://www.cutstudy.com/cut/english/grading1/sphere1.htm this is mSU / Octonus software for showing those flares on an imaginary dome.
It is a lot of fun - and there are many things you can do or change with it C.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2006 12:36:51 AM

Yes Widget - some of that is I think inter lens flare - most camera lenses are multiple sets of lenses used to remove chromatic distortion. Rhino was discussing some human optical abberrations - but cameras have a lot more. It was one of the problems I had with the brilliancescope - where the flare the camera sees is not the same as a human eye would see. I guess also the sensitivity of the CCD capture or film exposure etc - that is another thing that makes some of this thread lots of fun - but not like what we see unless we make our eyes deliberately out of focus etc
bahahaha or our eyesight *sucks* :D

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know most would like to have a balance between fire and brilliance - but I''m curious which people would choose if they could only have ONE.

I went into getting a diamond knowing I wanted the most fire I could get and I didn''t care if I got brilliance and I got what I wanted.... and because I sacrificed brilliance, even in a fancy cut I did very well in fire. my earrings and my anniversary ring are the opposite... I didn''t really know much about the fire of diamonds so I went for brilliance and they''re all white and bright and round dots that do sparkle but not much fire.

Each has its own pros and cons and I can see where most would want a balance - some leaning one way and others leaning another way.... but if you couldn''t have balance and you HAD to choose... which would you choose?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/9/2006 12:47:12 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 10/9/2006 12:36:51 AM

bahahaha or our eyesight *sucks* :D
Simple, just get some specs made with 2 camera lenses.

You will be sure to attract the attention of some supa nerds, and as we know nerds rule in the money making department these days. And they never waste money - so you can have all the diamonds you ever dreamed of

lenses like bootttle tops.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2006 12:59:08 AM

Simple, just get some specs made with 2 camera lenses.

You will be sure to attract the attention of some supa nerds, and as we know nerds rule in the money making department these days. And they never waste money - so you can have all the diamonds you ever dreamed of
LOL!! funny pic!! I married a nerd... he can afford diamonds but he''s also an engineer and as practical as they come - he has no appreciation for them lol! I have to say I''ve caught him playing with the sparkly though ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results