shape
carat
color
clarity

The Fire Thread!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Great shots, especially that last one! Is the ring sitting on top of like an ornate lid?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2006 8:58:31 AM
Author: Molly1024

Date: 10/5/2006 1:26:54 AM
Author: Rhino

Date: 10/3/2006 11:23:56 PM

Author: Molly1024

Rhino, my ring is a square radiant cut. Thanks!

Just beautiful Molly. Usually in radiants you get lots of smaller flashes with a crushed ice look but I see some that can throw off broad flash too depending on how the pavilion is cut. When you view yours daily does it have more of a crushed ice look or do you think broader chunkier flashes? In those pics it looks like you caught some good broad flash which I like.
1.gif

Looking straight down on it in the sunlight, I see little pricks of light dancing around but every so often I''ll get a big chunk of light bouncing off of it, especially when it''s just out of the US. My husband chose this stone although I chose the cut well before I knew about Pricescope and while I don''t know if the dimensions make it an attractive stone on paper, it performs beautifully in person.

ETA: My stone does somewhat resemble the traditional crushed ice, but not as much as other radiants I''ve seen on here.
Very excellent Molly. More than anything it pleases your eyes most and that''s what counts.
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2006 7:39:21 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Amazing depth of field
Same thoughts running through my head when viewing Ellen''s, Lynn''s and Ms. Darlin''s shots. Almost as if they had em on tripods with the aperature bumped. Alot of these newer/better digi''s are coming with optical image stabilization which helps to eliminate handshake. Couple that with great macro capabilities and viola. I was too tied up today to perform the experiment but I really look forward to it. Perhaps I can capture it on vid too.

Have a great evening senor.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice shots Lord S!

Hi Belle ...
35.gif

I know you picked up a Canon digi SLR fairly recently. Got any eye candy to show us? How are you making out on the photo front? Have you been practicing with macro stuff at all?

Kind regards,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
This thread is terrific. My head has been buried in work all day, and it was great to spend 10 minutes enjoying your great photos. Thank you all for the breath of fresh (firey) air.

PS: Great to see you M'Lord.
35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 9:44:22 PM
Hi Belle ...
35.gif

I know you picked up a Canon digi SLR fairly recently. Got any eye candy to show us? How are you making out on the photo front? Have you been practicing with macro stuff at all?

Kind regards,
23.gif

23.gif

''tis a nikon
d200

but i forgive you.
2.gif

no eye candy
39.gif
i need to spend some quality time learning and practicing. i just haven''t done it yet. i was hoping kenny would get it all perfected first and then i could just try and follow his lead.
34.gif

i''m loving these shots here though. and i''m so proud of the very clean diamonds!
36.gif
way to go girls!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2006 10:30:16 PM
Author: belle

Date: 10/5/2006 9:44:22 PM
Hi Belle ...
35.gif

Kind regards,
23.gif

23.gif

''tis a nikon
d200

but i forgive you.
2.gif

no eye candy
39.gif
i need to spend some quality time learning and practicing. i just haven''t done it yet. i was hoping kenny would get it all perfected first and then i could just try and follow his lead.
34.gif

i''m loving these shots here though. and i''m so proud of the very clean diamonds!
36.gif
way to go girls!
oops!
9.gif

Thanks.
12.gif

What lens did you get with it belle? I recall you mentioning it in the past but I forgot. I''ve heard good things bout the d200.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 9:51:55 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
PS: Great to see you M''Lord.
35.gif

35.gif

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, these are some amazing pictures!
36.gif
36.gif
I love everyone''s rings too!

Here are some of mine--thanks, Ellen, for pointing me to this thread:

47b6d730b3127cce8c9b3341273e00000017102Act27Zw0cMW

47b6d730b3127cce8c9b3070679600000017102Act27Zw0cMW

47b6d730b3127cce8c9b30ec670a00000017102Act27Zw0cMW

47b6ce20b3127cce8d0b1d44152600000017102Act27Zw0cMW

47b6ce27b3127cce8dd2d3bafff900000017112Act27Zw0cMW

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
A big "Thank
emlove.gif
You" to Irina
28.gif
, who helped me!
She preformed magic and fixed the clarity, sizing and placement of my
emphoto.gif
''s!

Date: 10/5/2006 9:03:26 AM
Author: Ellen
Rosebud, beautiful shots, and beauitful ring!

Ms.DJ, I''ve remarked on your fire shots before, lovely. That second one is my fave, you managed to get what I can''t, blue mixed with other colors. I can get all the colors, but not altogether...

Love the discussions!
Hi Ellen ~
emrose.gif

I love the idea of this thread!
36.gif

I have found, at least with my new camera and my diamond, that it is best to take pic''s mid morning about 10 am, or wait till an hour or two before sunset. If I don''t, I just get too much
emhot.gif
candle power and I can''t see the diamond, just the big ball of blazing whiteness! I also, have noticed that I have difficulty seeing after awhile, due to all the blinding white and colorful sparklies during the photo shoot.
emsmiled.gif

The first two pics were on my covered patio about 3-4 pm, the sun was just starting to peek in from the covered portion as it was setting in the westward sky (Pacific NW).

The pic that you think is your fav'' out of the three, was taken from the side, and I just started taking pic''s as I was coming up to a top view. I find that particular angle best for multi-color rainbow effect. I usually get lots of one color (Blue, Purple, Green, Orange) or two color shots (Blue-purple, Blue-green, Green-yellow, Yellow-Orange, Red-orange), fewer with 3 or more colors in one pic.
emrainbow.gif
emlove.gif
emrainbow.gif

The third pic was in the front yard about 2 pm, the sun was way too bright and I couldn''t really see what I was taking pic''s of (Everthing was just white, and blinding), so I got out a piece of white glossy photo paper to put behind, and also to help bend it over the top of the diamond a little to cut out the sun. I can see the blue sky, and I think my tree limbs in some of the diamond. I like this one because I can see the tiny facets reflecting off eachother.

I have gotten some very unusual pics of how the rays behave differently. I have one, that doesn''t really belong here, because it''s not "fire", it''s more like my camera was able to capture the diamonds "citrus zest bursting above it in a circle of tiny circles of light yellow beams" It''s just very cool
9.gif
. It''s like my diamond has a halo of illuminated light just above the diamond, like a circle of spot lights.

I think it is fun to see everyone else''s fire, and their diamonds "firery personality"!
3.gif

Have a wonderful weekend!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jonathan!
28.gif

Yes, I finally have had a bit of time this week to fool around
face23.gif
with my new "Canon!" (Yes, I think Canon's kick butt too, I've had several since the early 80's!

I definately think your onto something here re:
emstar.gif
space/galaxy
emmoon.gif
. It is true what you say about the visual thru a telescope looking into space/galaxy, or others might say "stargazing". I do not believe that a humans eye is so precise without it being unaided. It is very interesting, and a bit freaky to look, just off of your mark, and something will appear!

I have also noticed that let's say in my SUV, the sun will be shinning thru the windows, and my diamond is very sparklie and bright, that in itself is very kewl, however, what I find more amazing are the invisible rays that are bouncing off of the diamond and onto the roof liner or other parts of my car ... flashes of "rainbows" ... not only white colored dots, but actual dots, flashes in multi-color (My kids love this!)! Now, I have perfect eyesight, and I can't see actual rainbows eminating from my diamond, but they obviously are there, becuase if I take off my ring, the flashes of colored light goes away.

Have a wonderful day!
35.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Love everybodys fire pics. Here''s mine...

sun pic2.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
...and one more...

sun pics1.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Found one more of my pear...

JCJDfireabcdefg.JPG

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
To answer some questions posed in this thread...
Yes, my pics were taken with the diamond in direct sunlight. I borrowed the dig cam, so I don''t know what kind it was, but to get the fire pics, I held the ring in the sun and slowly turned it around until I saw rainbows in the camera viewer and clicked.

Yes I have seen fire like this in real life, perhaps not all at once like in these pics, but flashes of color here and there for a few milliseconds at a time, especially in direct sunlight. Garry - you''re correct, if I''m looking at the diamond the fire isn''t as spectacular, but if it catches the corner of my eye, it''s breathtaking. My avatar is a prime example (3rd pic of mine on page 2) of how the blurriness increases the flares. Compare this to the pics just below my avatar pic where the diamond is in focus and the flare is much smaller. However, although the background looks black, it was just my well-lit living room in the background - the camera seems to have been overloaded with sparkle and compensated by decreasing light intensity in the rest of the shot (hee hee).

Ms Darlin Joy - The prism effect is amazing, isn''t it? Every time I catch the little rainbows on the walls it makes me smile a little bigger.
9.gif

Great pics everyone!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice pix goth and jcdc.
emthup.gif

Ms. Darlin ... YES ... you are right on. The effect you're talking about is commonly seen in airplanes too when the sun is coming through the window ... hits the diamond and there are spectral spots of color all over the place on walls/ceilings yet our eyes only perceive the flashes that are being directed towards our eye (or camera lens if taking a pic). There are so many more flashes that we can't see directly, however we can see the results of their flashes on the surface of walls/ceilings.

The term I was looking for earlier was "averted vision". Ie. averting your vision away from the direct light source and causing rods in the eye that are more sensitive to light to see more of what you're not seeing when you're focused on the object. heh... I realize that can sound a little confusing. Here is an article I found written by one of editors of Sky & Telescope magazine which may be of interest.

http://vegas.astronomynv.org/Tutorials/avertedvision.htm

Kindest regards,

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jfro, glad you posted your gorgeous ring!

MDJ, thank you SO much for explaining how you got your shots, I will try it out. What I found interesting is that the few good shots I got indoors, tend to show more of a range of colors...

As for you not shooting in the middle of the afternoon, I would suggest to try it anyway. Even though you may only see a huge white blob in your view finder, the camera will capture it differently, sometimes. Some of the pics I posted in here were taken mid-afternoon. Try it and see.
2.gif

Gothgrrl, thanks for posting, I love the colors in that second one!

As for experiment pics, I haven't really had time, but I did find a few I already had. Per Gary's suggestions, the first is out of focus, and the box was sitting on the concrete patio.

NewRing01849F.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patio.

NewRing01533F.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

NewRing01537F.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one was taken on the same brown glass top patio table as many of the others, but the reflection is also bright, but not because it''s a ball of fire...

NewRing0671F.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary, this last pic is closer to what "I" see when I look at my ring in the sun, a deep blue. I don''t see gray, although sometimes, it gets very dark, but never a washed out gray.

NewRing01856F.JPG

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
some more I took... these look bluer...

firecrb5.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been LOVING this thread!
36.gif

The sun in Northern California has FINALLY come out...and guess what? Step cuts can play too!
9.gif

000_3957.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll post some fire pics - we all know I love fire!! Here''s one, full size, that I took out by the light of a full moon. No clue what the focus was, you cannot see anything BUT the fire!

cbfire.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this pic - it''s not very exotic but I love love love that aqua color and how it is so pure!
The lighting here was a cloudy day with a moment of sunshine.

cbfire2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Widget, those are incredible shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results