shape
carat
color
clarity

The December LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have always enjoyed psychology very much so. I always say if I wasn''t a graphic designer, I''d really like to be a psychologist!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha. Figures. I just see you mention a lot of soc. classes, so I assumed it was sociology. Ya know, everyone assumes that psych/soc are so similar, but I really don't like a lot of the aspects of psychology. Well, I guess I should say I like the concepts of psych (the counseling aspect of it), but not so much the biology behind it. I'm just not a natural science-y type person.

4 schools. Ugh. Not really anything scandalous to it. Just a matter of my not really being ready to be in college, stopping, starting, stopping, starting again. I know it looks awful to have been through that many schools, but my head just wasn't in it. Now I'm very motivated to finish, and know what I want to do for the most part, so I guess it was worth the wait. I could have ended up like half of my friends who got their degrees ASAP and hate what they majored in, and do nothing related to it.

That's funny your FF is freaked out about that, was he a TA for the prof? That'd be kinda hot... dating the TA.
2.gif

Must be nice to have the soc. expert around! Maybe he can help me next semester!
3.gif

What does your FF want to do? Work at the university, or go into CJ as a professional? My schools has a masters program in both sociology and crim, but I'm actually going for my MS in Human Resources/Org. Development. Well.. eventually I'll be going for that. I'm going to try my chances in the job market first. What do you plan on doing with your psych degree? Grad school at all?

Next semester:
Psych 101 (UGH! I took it at one of my last schools, but the place I'm at now requires a science with a lab, so i'm retaking psych 101 with a lab. NOT looking forward to it)
Medical Sociology (major requirement. ew.
Social Psychology
Senior Seminar in Sociology
Social Networks
US Racial/Cultural Minorities (an anth class)

19 credit hours. Sigh.

ETA - DreamGirl, I think you'd be an awesome psychologist! Maybe that's your second calling!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, when my dad heard my schedule he thought I was changing my major. He wasn't very happy until I explained WHY I was taking all of those Socs. Speaking of him, he's a major reason I'm doing Psych. I've always been very interested in relationships because of him being a divorce lawyer, and being that law is not my thing at all, I went for the counseling aspect of it. In all actuality, I wanted to be an Art History major, but when I found out my school requires 2 years of foreign language...that dream went down the tubes. So now I'm back to Psych. I wish my school considered Psych a science! Lol! Then I wouldn't have to take all of these ridiculous sciences!

I know what you mean about not being ready to be in college. I went to my current school when I graduated from HS, dropped out after the first term, went to the community college, got my associates in Culinary arts, took a year off, then went to the Culinary Institute of America, dropped out after two semesters, took another year off, then went back to the community college to gather credits for transferring back to my current school. So even though I've gone to 3 schools, I'll have graduated from 2 of them. Woot! Kind of. I know what you mean about being motivated to finish. If I'm honest I'm only getting my BA because a)I got tired of making $8 an hour b)my parents wanted me to (especially my mom) and c)I think it would look silly for FF with his colleagues if his wife only has an associates (in culinary arts of all things!) while he has a PhD, and is a professor(maybe).

He wasn't a TA for her. She's very nosy, and I managed to keep it a secret from her for over a year! She would always corner me in a random hallway of the Soc building, and then ask why I was lurking about. I always told her I had a lot of friends in the department. I didn't elaborate that I also had a live-in boyfriend that is in the department!

Lol, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to ask him for you!

FF would like to be a professor at a research University, but this changes a lot. He did Soc because it came easily to him (really though, most everything comes easy to him--he got a 35 on the ACT without knowing he was taking it until his father woke him up that morning to make him go take it-lol), and I don't know that it really makes him happy. However, he's already gotten an offer from the U.S. Census to come be an analyst for them, and it was basically an open door offer--for whenever he wanted. So he'll probably either be a professor or work for the government for some random department (I keep rooting for the FBI or CIA!).

I'm not going to school anymore once I graduate. Well...maybe. I won't do grad school though. No way! If anything, it depends on what FF does and where he gets a job. I've always thought it would be cool to go back to a community college and take art classes or art history classes when we move. Otherwise, I'll probably stick with baking, or open my own business (a shoe boutique would be fantastic!) And the Psych degree will be a decoration on my wall. Lol. (I figure it will get lost among all of FF's degrees!)

If you need any help with your Psych class, let me know!

I'm taking:
Sociology of Sport
Sociology of Death and Dying (probably not the best plan, but so be it. I already took Psych of Death and Dying.)
Sociology of Law
The Blue Planet (Environmental science)
Survey of Math (whatever that is--just so long as it isn't algebra, I'm good)

Woot! Only 15 hours!

And Dreamgirl! Want to trade?! I'll go do Graphic Arts stuff and you can do Psych!

I watched parts of The Biggest Loser last season. I LOVED IT. I''m so happy for Ally, she looks so gorgeous and happy.. But part of me is really sad for those people that still want to be there, but for whatever reason their body didn''t lose ENOUGH weight for the weigh in
15.gif
reminds me high school and my mom
38.gif
I haven''t watched anything but a few seconds of this years show that was on this week, and WOW they all look so good. I really admire what theyre doing.

As a side note? I reaaaaaaaally dislike Jillian (we share names too
2.gif
) But honestly, she is so flippin mean, rude, and if I was on a show for gazillions of people to see me in tight clothing with fat rolls everywhere, the LAST thing I need would be a skinny B*tch yelling at me to keep moving- unless I''m dead or about to die or whatever her saying is!!!!

Date: 12/11/2008 3:53:42 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
I have always enjoyed psychology very much so. I always say if I wasn''t a graphic designer, I''d really like to be a psychologist!
I''m a graphic designer too! I''m so obsessed with art!! What''s your favorite thing to design??
I just graduated last spring. In my area people are like, "We really need a graphic designer... but we''ll pay you in meatballs!" (or so it seems
38.gif
)

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 2:49:44 PM
Author: ams0124
Date: 12/11/2008 1:59:00 PM

Author: fieryred33143

Date: 12/11/2008 1:56:39 PM

Author: Bia

Date: 12/11/2008 1:38:02 PM

I love biggest loser too!

But I don''t like Heba LOL. I really just don''t. I was happy that she got to stick around only because of her strong desire to get out of the 200s but other than that I really just don''t like her.

The other girl that is still on the black team (can''t remember her name right now) is gorgeous! When the show started I thought she was so beautiful and couldn''t wait to see her transformation. She is still so beautiful and has such a great spirit. I hope she wins. LOL
Michelle!!!! Yay!! She''s my pick too. I love her. I love that she doesn''t let the blue team get to her. Can you believe she lost 9 pounds at the last weigh-in?! How does one do that?

Heba is beautiful too but I don''t like the way she was bullying the others. I really, really, really don''t like Vicky. She annoyed the hell out of me all season because she was mean to many of the others. Also, who feeds their children McDonalds and other fast food joints everyday and brings them to get like 4 doughnuts a piece? Its absurd.

Yeah I don''t like Vicky either!

I think the good thing about this show is that it teaches the parents that things like McD''s every day is not healthy for anyone. Hopefully when she gets back home she''ll make healthier choices not only for herself but for her whole family.

Yay Michelle!
I don''t like Heba either...Something about her just screams bi**h!! I almost have to change the channel when she talks!!! That ''i''m embarassed for you so I can''t watch'' feeling...yuck!
14.gif

I LOVE MICHELLE!!! She has by far been the best person on this show!! She reminds me so much of Ally from last season. Overcoming personal issues with her mom, her self esteem, and now her weight! I just love her so much...
30.gif

ditto ditto ditto! go michelle!!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey elledizzy- I feel you about the credits. next semester I am taking 17 or 18 and that is heavy for me. I'm a language arts major though in the teaching program, so lots of writing papers. I love psychology too, but I found that i LOVE communications, and the classes are REALLY similar, you just don't go as in depth with the brain information. ONE TEST TO GO AND TWO DAYS TILL MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

P.S. elledizzy, I know you live close to me, but are you from that area originally?

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 6:07:59 PM
Ok so since we have both seen it then I''m gonna comment on it...
31.gif
I can''t stand Corinne!!!! What did you think about Matty and Jamie on the dock? That was sooooo sweet. He was all giddy and stuttering. It was adorable, I had tears in my eyes. I''m rooting for Matty, Sugar or Bob. Suzie is ok...I don''t care much for Crystal. I think Kenny is letting the game get to his head a little. But I see your point about him...

ETA: I was looking at cbs.com during lunch today and they have these video clips called ''Ponderosa'' that I had no clue about. Anyway, they have scenes they filmed of the jury members spending time in Africa after being voted out. It''s pretty good.
Awww...Matty''s proposal was adorable!!!! It was so cute. At this point of the game I really don''t mind anyone. Like you, Crystal and Suzy, I don''t really care for and everyone else I like. Actually, now that I think about it...I love Bob!!! His science/physics jokes crack me up!

I''ll have to check CBS.com but since I''m in Canada I might not be able to watch the videos. I''d love to see what the jury''s been up to...with the exception of Randy and Corinne. Blegh! They''re probably just b*tching to each other the whole time anyway!
I didn''t realize the finale was coming up so soon!! Yay for Sunday!!!

As for Biggest Loser, I''ve just been watching since Michelle''s mom got voted off (so, like, 2 episodes...haha). Michelle and her mom are absolutely stunning!! I couldn''t stop staring at them the entire episode. I''m totally rooting for Michelle!!!!!!!!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 5:20:56 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
Hey elledizzy- I feel you about the credits. next semester I am taking 17 or 18 and that is heavy for me. I''m a language arts major though in the teaching program, so lots of writing papers. I love psychology too, but I found that i LOVE communications, and the classes are REALLY similar, you just don''t go as in depth with the brain information. ONE TEST TO GO AND TWO DAYS TILL MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

P.S. elledizzy, I know you live close to me, but are you from that area originally?

Yeah, 19 credits is insane for me. LOL. We''ll see how it goes.

Good luck on all of your credits!! and Happy almost birthday!!!!

Yes, I''ve lived in MI my whole life. Grew up in West Bloomfield for most of my life, have lived in Farmington Hills, Northville, Southfield, Livonia, and now Ann Arbor.

Did you grow up here also?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
The counseling aspect of psych is definitely the most interesting part. I considered going for my MSW, since I would never want to do a psych PhD program, but MSWs work so hard for so little a lot of the time. Plus, I''m not the best at dealing with stress, and seeing people hurting all the time might really bum me out. I don''t know if I''m cut out for it. I considered law school, then I started working at a law firm. Uhh... no thanks. Those first year associates work so hard it''s ridiculous!

You pattern sounds like mine. Big university/dorm life... then left first semester. Then community college (didnt go for culinary arts, but the CC i attended has a pretty well known program for it!), then a commuter uni, then a B school, now at good old Eastern Michigan University. That''s great that you''re doing the degree thing, it obviously gives a lot more opportunity. That''s awesome that you''re doing this for your mom, too. You are a phenomenal daughter, I must say.

35 ACT, eh? Can''t complain about that. Smart cookie you have there! I think I got a.. 27? Maybe? I''m good at tests though. Sometimes I think they make me look smarter than I really am.
2.gif
Your FF is so lucky to have opportunities already. I feel like there''s no way in HELL I''m going to get a job. I try not to think about too much, or I might get discouraged at school.

Seriously Freke, I would LOVE it if you opened a shoe boutique. I don''t care if you''re in New Mexico, I''d totally fly out there to see it. You would have the most rocking collection of shoes in one boutique EVER. Regardless of whether or not you use that degree, it makes enviable wall decoration, and you should be proud!

Your sociology classes sound better than mine. I wish my school had more variety. I''m not exactly "psyched" (ha!) for Sociology of Medicine. I''m not even sure what that means, really.

PS - (Ok, am I the only one who feels weird using PS on PS?
33.gif
) I was so inspired by your shoe collection, that I actually bought a pair of HEELS a few weeks ago (which i never buy because I''m so tall) that are blue suede. I love them. Even if I''m 6 feet tall with them on!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 5:31:36 PM
Author: sammyj
Awww...Matty''s proposal was adorable!!!! It was so cute. At this point of the game I really don''t mind anyone. Like you, Crystal and Suzy, I don''t really care for and everyone else I like. Actually, now that I think about it...I love Bob!!! His science/physics jokes crack me up!

I''ll have to check CBS.com but since I''m in Canada I might not be able to watch the videos. I''d love to see what the jury''s been up to...with the exception of Randy and Corinne. Blegh! They''re probably just b*tching to each other the whole time anyway!
I didn''t realize the finale was coming up so soon!! Yay for Sunday!!!
Bob seems like such a sweetie! He sure is smart too. I love the fake imminity necklaces he made. Too bad Jeff had to throw the one Randy had into the fire!
20.gif
I kept wondering where the heck he found those beads to make them! haha!

Yeah, those videos are awesome if you can see them. Corinne has this blow dryer that works on a battery operated thing (cause they are in Africa I''m guessing) and when she turns it on...it works for about 3 seconds then shuts off. She''s complaining the ENTIRE time. It''s hilarious. It''s on tonight, I will DVR it. Probably watch it tomorrow evening...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 4:51:24 PM
Author: swedish bean

Date: 12/11/2008 3:53:42 PM
I''m a graphic designer too! I''m so obsessed with art!! What''s your favorite thing to design??
I just graduated last spring. In my area people are like, ''We really need a graphic designer... but we''ll pay you in meatballs!'' (or so it seems
38.gif
)
haha! I''ve been into art since I was a wee little child. My favorite thing to design? Probably wedding stuff! haha!
31.gif

Yeah, I''ve gotta tell you......getting a good job in this industry is nearly impossible. I finally JUST landed the ideal job which pays amazingly and incredibly well 3 months ago. Before that I had to go through unpaid internship......horrible freelance......and my previous job which wasn''t that great at all. Horrible pay and no respect. it was AWFUL and sure got me down! It''s going to take you a while to build up that portfolio and land a good job. I''m talking 3/4 years for me. Also, there are a LOT of designers out here in Denver. It''s incredibly competitive. I''m not sure about where you live but here, you have to be very talented to land anything....I still can''t believe I am where I am today. But so very greatful. It''s perfect! I hope I never leave.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I demand pictures!!!!!!!

(BTW, I just got an email telling me that the SWs are going to get here faster than anticipated. Woot!)

I worked at my dad''s office, and it really gets to you after a while, because that is one place where it''s RARE that someone is actually happy. As a receptionist, I had seen almost every client breaking down in tears. So yeah, I feel you on the MSW. I don''t think I could do it either.

I got a 22 on my ACT! I suck at tests though! Between test anxiety, my ADHD and my math learning disability...yeah. But a 35! Without any studying or anything! He claims its just because he''s a great test taker. WHATEVER. I wish I was like you guys and a great test taker. You guys suck....

...more later...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 6:18:24 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I demand pictures!!!!!!!

(BTW, I just got an email telling me that the SWs are going to get here faster than anticipated. Woot!)

I worked at my dad's office, and it really gets to you after a while, because that is one place where it's RARE that someone is actually happy. As a receptionist, I had seen almost every client breaking down in tears. So yeah, I feel you on the MSW. I don't think I could do it either.

I got a 22 on my ACT! I suck at tests though! Between test anxiety, my ADHD and my math learning disability...yeah. But a 35! Without any studying or anything! He claims its just because he's a great test taker. WHATEVER. I wish I was like you guys and a great test taker. You guys suck...."

Tests are just that. It is great if you can do well on them, but I don't think they apply to real life skills. My SAT's were much lower than my grades. For med school you have to take the MCAT, which I got a low score on. It was enough to screen me out of several med schools. I got in, and did very well on the more important tests, the boards.

College was a while ago, but I still miss those psych and sociology classes. I was a human development major, so I took a lot social sciences. I was never a herd core biology person. My favorite classes were the sociology of gender, social psychology, and abnormal child psychology.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I was born in Elmhurst, IL, but I moved to Birmingham when i was five and then moved to Beverly Hills, where I still live when I''m not at school. Small world! Geeze. We probably know some of the same people/families.

Freke- I have a pretty good size shoe collection, and the new ones I got are nine west but I can''t find a picture online! I might have to post a real life pic! Ha and the shoes I got for Halloween when I was marilyn monroe are awesome. I love heels. I am 5''3".

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol IloveAsschers. I'm only 5'2. How many pairs do you think you have?

I thought I would post this here. This is from tonight. This is my kitty Bandito. He is normally really good, unless his brother is around. Well, I came back from taking a shower... and they had chewed right through the catnip bag.... I look like a drug dealer
11.gif

EDIT: That's catnip all over the floor, not dirt
5.gif

badbandito.jpg

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 1:47:59 AM
I thought I would post this here. This is from tonight. This is my kitty Bandito. He is normally really good, unless his brother is around. Well, I came back from taking a shower... and they had chewed right through the catnip bag.... I look like a drug dealer
11.gif

EDIT: That''s catnip all over the floor, not dirt
5.gif

Oh what a sweet sweet kitty!! I''m such a cat person.
I''ll have to find a good pic of our Emma to share...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 1:47:59 AM
11.gif

EDIT: That''s catnip all over the floor, not dirt
5.gif
Hahaha. Busted!!!!

Cats never cease to amuse me. No matter what they do, it''s cute.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 11:10:32 PM
Lol IloveAsschers. I''m only 5''2. How many pairs do you think you have?

I have never really counted, but since about september, I have bought about five pairs... AH! I need to be saving money not buying cute shoes. I will try to count sometime soon!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 10:31:29 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
I was born in Elmhurst, IL, but I moved to Birmingham when i was five and then moved to Beverly Hills, where I still live when I''m not at school. Small world! Geeze. We probably know some of the same people/families.

Freke- I have a pretty good size shoe collection, and the new ones I got are nine west but I can''t find a picture online! I might have to post a real life pic! Ha and the shoes I got for Halloween when I was marilyn monroe are awesome. I love heels. I am 5''3''.
Curiouser, and curiouser..

Where did you go to high school, and when did you graduate? (If you don''t mind me asking)

I know a lot of people from the Bham/Beverly Hills area. But, I think they may be older than you.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
So this is a thread for random stuff right??

There''s reports that Jennifer Lopez wasn''t wearing her wedding ring and that Marc was acting very single.

39.gif

If they split up I''ll be soooo sad
39.gif

The end.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 11:53:54 AM
So this is a thread for random stuff right??

There''s reports that Jennifer Lopez wasn''t wearing her wedding ring and that Marc was acting very single.

39.gif

If they split up I''ll be soooo sad
39.gif

The end.
The more random, the better!
3.gif

That''s a bummer! I like that relationship!

What was he doing to act single? Any details?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Well *they* are saying that he was in Vegas last weekend without Jennifer and was chatting with different women and out till 3AM. That was the same weekend she didn''t have on her ring.

I just love him and her. Not necessarily together but I really want them to last. Especially for those adorable twins!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 12:26:02 PM
Well *they* are saying that he was in Vegas last weekend without Jennifer and was chatting with different women and out till 3AM. That was the same weekend she didn''t have on her ring.

I just love him and her. Not necessarily together but I really want them to last. Especially for those adorable twins!
Gosh, I could''ve probably just guessed that. It''s always the same story! She is missing her ring, he''s in Vegas. Seriously. EVERY time, it''s that story.

Their twins are ADORABLE!
30.gif

How''s it going for soon-to-be mommy Fiery? Pregnancy treating you OK?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
It really is the same story over and over! LOL

Pregnancy is good. Some days I feel great, others kind of slow and lazy. I''ve been trying to focus on other stuff that needs to get done like remodeling our place, getting some credit cards paid off, traveling to visit my grandmother before I can''t travel, etc. But otherwise really good. Thanks for asking!

How are you?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I demand pictures!!!!!!!

I worked at my dad''s office, and it really gets to you after a while, because that is one place where it''s RARE that someone is actually happy. As a receptionist, I had seen almost every client breaking down in tears. So yeah, I feel you on the MSW. I don''t think I could do it either.

I got a 22 on my ACT! I suck at tests though! Between test anxiety, my ADHD and my math learning disability...yeah. But a 35! Without any studying or anything! He claims its just because he''s a great test taker. WHATEVER. I wish I was like you guys and a great test taker. You guys suck....

...more later...
So what is a 35? I never took the ACT--we did the SATs instead.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 1:08:15 PM
It really is the same story over and over! LOL

Pregnancy is good. Some days I feel great, others kind of slow and lazy. I''ve been trying to focus on other stuff that needs to get done like remodeling our place, getting some credit cards paid off, traveling to visit my grandmother before I can''t travel, etc. But otherwise really good. Thanks for asking!

How are you?
I''m glad you''re doing OK! What remodeling are you doing? I''m in the paying-off-the-CCs boat too, but I''m sure the issue is a bit more pressing with a baby on the way!!

I''m doing pretty well. In the midst of finals, the hardest one is out of the way, so one more weekend of studying and I should be good. FF and his family are not so hot. His dad and brother both lost their jobs, his SIL was in a horrible car accident (she''s OK) and totalled her car, and his SILs step-mom died out of the blue a couple of weeks ago. His poor family!!

Just trying to stay positive! LIWitis has been bad lately.. and I''m usually so good! It must be the holidays. A diamond ring would look sooo nice with a holiday manicure.
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 1:12:59 PM
Author: ladypirate

I demand pictures!!!!!!!

...more later...
So what is a 35? I never took the ACT--we did the SATs instead.
36 is the max, so that would be... 1500+ on the SAT?

Not sure if it works that way, so that''s my best guess.
3.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Ah, ok. :) Thanks, Elle!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results