shape
carat
color
clarity

The December LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I didn''t end up getting my ring this xmas. I''m glad he didn''t propose over christmas too. Xmas eve was so weird this year and it would''ve been terribly unromantic.. and christmas, I was so exhausted from xmas eve, that I slept for 3 hrs while over at my moms house
4.gif

I really don''t care when it is anymore. I mean, I want it sooner than later, but I have been so busy..!! This waiting stuff has been easy peasy since december.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in as another not getting a Christmas proposal... which I already knew going on. And I am ok with it. Things are really up in the air (not as far as our relationship goes, but with building the house etc) - although I DO want to get engaged, the timing isn''t great. Shockingly, I think it might actually BE better timing to wait awhile so we can focus on being happy about the engagement rather than stressing about other life things.

That said, we did talk about it a fair amount over the holidays. Including looking at potential resorts for a DW.
36.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So I had a dream last night that I met my dream wedding photographer at the mall. I sort of ran into him. I said "hey! Your dream photographer!" I told him all about how we love the style of photos he takes and everything about how I follow his blog..etc..etc...his wife comes over and he told me "This is the love of my life" and I tell her all about how I love what they do (she takes photos too with him) and they told me she is expecting a baby (this is not true) and I was so happy for them. I asked them if they would ever take pictures on their wedding anniversary (because its the same day I would love to marry FF (this part is true)) and they said of course!! But then I told them I wasn''t engaged yet...lol

It was hilarious and seemed so real....

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I just counted up the "I''m engaged!" threads on the front page of the LIW forum and there were TWELVE engagement threads. I think the oldest one up there was Freke''s so they''re all pretty recent. What a hefty Christmas engagement season we had! I think if you add those to the Thanksgiving ones and the ones in between we''re up close to 20. I wonder how that compares to last year''s tally.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That would be interesting, to compare last year''s to this year''s. Christmas is always a busy time for engagements. I am waiting to see how many of you guys have Valentine''s engagements. Not quite as busy, but still fun.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I wish there was an accurate way to go back in the threads and look that stuff up. When do the threads expire anyways? I figure there is a time limit of inactivity for when you can''t post on them anymore but I can imagine we can still read them.

Hmmm a project?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, you can go back and count. But at what date should the counting begin and at what date should it stop?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hum... I think a lot of men propose around the holidays so that the girl can show the ring off to the family. So, what about 2 weeks b/f Thanksgiving to New Year''s day? Is that too much.

Oh, BTW...today was kind of a big day for our relationship, just want to share. BF''s cousin is getting married and he just got the invite. I didn''t even know about it. He told me he wants me to come, and that he wants me to basically be aggressive about getting the time off from work because he really wants me there. I know this might not seem like anything, but this is huge! His whole family will be there. He has never been big on introducing girls to his whole extended family. It was almost a year b/f I met his parents and that is because I got upset at him because he didn''t want to talk to them about me (probably because of the pressure they are putting on him, but I did not like the way he handled it). And he has never pushed me to get time off work like this. Also, we talk about weddings in general, but for the first time today, we talked abut weddings like it was ours, not just my wedding and his wedding. I am excited. Ok I will stop now.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 1:09:30 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Hum... I think a lot of men propose around the holidays so that the girl can show the ring off to the family. So, what about 2 weeks b/f Thanksgiving to New Year''s day? Is that too much.

I think sounds like a good plan. Now who wants to volunteer??
41.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to chime in a suggest a week after New Years. While I was the listkeeper I noticed that there were a lot of girls who got engaged over a weekend, and then didn''t tell us until Monday or Tuesday of the next week. This is why I tried to do updates on Friday and Tuesday, so that it would be a little bit more accurate for the whole weekend. With New Years, that could be extended to a week or so if they went on vacation or were out of town or something else.

Lets face it, when you''re newly engaged, it''s pretty crazy for a couple of days afterwards, and logging onto an internet forum is not exactly high on the priority list!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 1:06:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Lets face it, when you're newly engaged, it's pretty crazy for a couple of days afterwards, and logging onto an internet forum is not exactly high on the priority list!
It isnt?!?!
31.gif
LOL, that's the first thing I did! Well, that's because we had a secret plan to tell our families almost a week later, so I had to tell SOMEONE!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. Ok, you caught me. I guess I was referring to the more casual posters. As soon as we got to the airport the next day (free wi-fi!) I was on PS posting about it. This also had to do with the fact that I hadn''t told my dad, and that FI wanted to tell him in person, so I couldn''t change my facebook or myspace status because I have too many family members on there that might clue him in. So you guys (besides my close friends that knew it was coming, and who I text right after it happened) were the first to know! Then his sis and her family, then my dad, and then myspace/facebook. And then finally, the other day we told his dad and his dad''s wife.

So yeah, I had to tell someone. It didn''t start to feel real until we told my dad though.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya on that. It wasn''t real until the fams knew. It was so fun to change the myspace/facebook page too. Hahaha.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 2:13:59 PM
Author: sunnyd
I hear ya on that. It wasn''t real until the fams knew. It was so fun to change the myspace/facebook page too. Hahaha.

YES!! I FINALLY got to change my status a few days ago. I''ve been flooded with congrats and I''m like "Thanks! It happened a month ago..." It felt nice to put some pics up too!

I second a week after NYE. Thats a nice 7 week span or so.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
sunnyd
What was this secret plan to wait and tell your family? I'm curious
3.gif
Sorry if you already mentioned it in your engagement thread.

clairitek
Did it really take a whole months time before you could update the facebook? I dont have myspace, but I'm a big facebooker and I know its going to be hard for me to keep that status as "in a relationship" instead of "engaged to" for too long. But I wouldnt want anyone close to us finding out that way before we were able to tell them. Did you put pictures up of your ring?

Has anyone else put pictures up of their ring on a facebook/myspace? I know I'll be dying to do it - but people seem to either have one picture of a hands hot or nothing at all. Is it tacky to do more then one? One of SOs friends got engaged over the summer to someone a few years younger and a big facebook picture poster - she made a whole album for her ring! I was on the fence about that but I think that was more personal towards that couple than towards the ring album.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 9:33:51 AM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
clairitek
Did it really take a whole months time before you could update the facebook? I dont have myspace, but I''m a big facebooker and I know its going to be hard for me to keep that status as ''in a relationship'' instead of ''engaged to'' for too long. But I wouldnt want anyone close to us finding out that way before we were able to tell them. Did you put pictures up of your ring?

YES! I was dying to change it and then I got busy with other stuff. I called my friends within a day and told them but FI wanted to tell his friends in person. Sadly we waited all that time to change it for nothing because he only got to tell ONE of us college friends in person and then his 5 close friends from home. The other college friends had to find out via IM/FB/phone call. We were going to tell them on NYE but they all bailed on coming to our house so I guess he stopped feeling like he wanted to be nice and tell them in person.

I did include some of the shots I posted on PS in my FB album. I''ve gotten some comliments on my "artful eye" for taking shots of jewelery but everything I know about photographing rings I''ve learned on PS.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 9:33:51 AM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
Has anyone else put pictures up of their ring on a facebook/myspace? I know I'll be dying to do it - but people seem to either have one picture of a hands hot or nothing at all. Is it tacky to do more then one? One of SOs friends got engaged over the summer to someone a few years younger and a big facebook picture poster - she made a whole album for her ring! I was on the fence about that but I think that was more personal towards that couple than towards the ring album.
I have. I think with it being a gemstone, it's a bit easier to not feel as weird about it. It changes color so much, that it almost feels dishonest to post only a picture or two. It goes between about 4 different colors, gray, light blue, cobalty blue, and purple, with everything in between, and I wanted to show that. I have an album on myspace that has about 14 pictures and on FB, I have 9 pictures up. They each have their own albums.

I don't think it's tacky. At least I hope not. Lol.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Sailor, we planned a "holiday party" just to have everyone together at our place. Little did they know that we were actually planning on announcing our engagement.
9.gif
It was fun.

As for facebook pics, I only did one. That''s probably the only one I''ll put up there.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm free to do as I please with the amount of ring pics I'll have (one day
2.gif
) Ideally, it shouldnt matter what other people think of bling pics on facebook or myspace - the bling owner should have the last say! An acquaintance of mine who got engaged this past year put up the cutest profile picture on facebook of her holding her new fiances face while they were kissing. It was a shot of her left side and his right so you got the ring and the couple! I thought it was really adorable.

sunnydI love that your family got an extra surprise at your "holiday party"! I'll have to tell SO about that, our families love surprises and itd be fun if we could incorporate something along those lines into how we tell them (one day, again - MAN! I NEED TO GET ENGAGED!!
3.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results