shape
carat
color
clarity

The CFBC Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 4:12:48 PM
Author: Linda W
IG, just keep clarifying that it is you and your hubbies choice not to have children. Most likely they will keep hounding you anyway. tee hee.

Linda
Sooooo true! Especially my MIL . . . although she has gotten a little better lately.
20.gif

Fortunately, my parents are pretty cool about it. They don''t seem very bothered . . . I don''t think my Mom was ever in any hurry to be a grandmother anyway! She''s not 54, she''s 29 with experience!!!
2.gif
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
We live in the SF bay area, where pretty much anything goes. We don''t have any kids - married for eight years and are perfectly happy!

I know lots of CFBC people - lots indeed. They seem happy too and many are in long marriages. I have seen some who thought they were CFBC and then one partner changed their mind and the other didn''t and it was disaster. I have even seen people who went ahead and had a child and then wished they didn''t. That''s the worst one. But quite rare. Most people who have kids like them well enough, no matter what they thought beforehand.

"Selfish" - doesn''t even ring a bell, no one has ever said anything like that to me. Now they might think I am selfish b/c I like bling, but not for being childfree! For example, my sister, who has two kids thought I was INSANE to upgrade my ering, but she doesn''t bat an eye at CFBC.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My sweetie and I both turned 40 this year, and we still get asked. We do look young for our age, so when we try the "we''re too old" angle, people always say they have friends our age who just had their first. I don''t think it ever ends.

nytemist - I have heard so many comments over the years, I swear I''m going to lose it on someone someday! The worst offenders were from the 2 churches we used to attend. I have heard "you''re robbing your husband of the chance to be a father," and "you''ll never love anyone like you love your babies," and "you''ll be sorry when you''re older," and "your life will never be full," and "you will always have an empty spot in your heart." I could go on and on, and I really don''t understand why saying those things to childless people is okay. I live in a neighborhood with mostly SAHM''s, and I get all kinds of comments from them about how its a shame I put my career before having a family. Some poor well-meaning person is going to get an earful one day!

If I buy a new purse, car, or piece of jewelry I hear "That figures. You don''t have kids to spend your money on so you buy things for yourself." Well - duh!

Hubby and I have been together for 15 years, so we''re pretty set in our ways. We like our quiet evenings and weekends to go do whatever we want. We like to take lots of unplanned trips where we just get in the car and go. We''re very comfortable in our lifestyle and don''t want to change it.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 6:08:41 PM
Author: deegee
My sweetie and I both turned 40 this year, and we still get asked. We do look young for our age, so when we try the ''we''re too old'' angle, people always say they have friends our age who just had their first. I don''t think it ever ends.

nytemist - I have heard so many comments over the years, I swear I''m going to lose it on someone someday! The worst offenders were from the 2 churches we used to attend. I have heard ''you''re robbing your husband of the chance to be a father,'' and ''you''ll never love anyone like you love your babies,'' and ''you''ll be sorry when you''re older,'' and ''your life will never be full,'' and ''you will always have an empty spot in your heart.'' I could go on and on, and I really don''t understand why saying those things to childless people is okay. I live in a neighborhood with mostly SAHM''s, and I get all kinds of comments from them about how its a shame I put my career before having a family. Some poor well-meaning person is going to get an earful one day!

If I buy a new purse, car, or piece of jewelry I hear ''That figures. You don''t have kids to spend your money on so you buy things for yourself.'' Well - duh!

Hubby and I have been together for 15 years, so we''re pretty set in our ways. We like our quiet evenings and weekends to go do whatever we want. We like to take lots of unplanned trips where we just get in the car and go. We''re very comfortable in our lifestyle and don''t want to change it.
I like spending money on me.
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 6:37:32 PM
Author: joflier

Date: 8/29/2008 6:08:41 PM
My sweetie and I both turned 40 this year, and we still get asked. We do look young for our age, so when we try the ''we''re too old'' angle, people always say they have friends our age who just had their first. I don''t think it ever ends.

nytemist - I have heard so many comments over the years, I swear I''m going to lose it on someone someday! The worst offenders were from the 2 churches we used to attend. I have heard ''you''re robbing your husband of the chance to be a father,'' and ''you''ll never love anyone like you love your babies,'' and ''you''ll be sorry when you''re older,'' and ''your life will never be full,'' and ''you will always have an empty spot in your heart.'' I could go on and on, and I really don''t understand why saying those things to childless people is okay. I live in a neighborhood with mostly SAHM''s, and I get all kinds of comments from them about how its a shame I put my career before having a family. Some poor well-meaning person is going to get an earful one day!

If I buy a new purse, car, or piece of jewelry I hear ''That figures. You don''t have kids to spend your money on so you buy things for yourself.'' Well - duh!

9.gif
Meeeeee toooooo!!!!!
9.gif

It does drive me nuts when people who have kids judge DH and I based on the cars we drive, etc. Just because THEY have kids and don''t have the extra money for these things, why should we deprive ourselves of the things we want??? That''s one of the things people really need to consider before deciding to have children . . . THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!
22.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 7:21:07 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

9.gif
Meeeeee toooooo!!!!!
9.gif

It does drive me nuts when people who have kids judge DH and I based on the cars we drive, etc. Just because THEY have kids and don''t have the extra money for these things, why should we deprive ourselves of the things we want??? That''s one of the things people really need to consider before deciding to have children . . . THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!
22.gif
Right!!!! Its not like I''m going to go up to someone at the store during Back to School shopping, and say, "GASP!!!! How selfish are you? Spending all that money on your child, when you could be spending it on yourself!!!! Oh, for shame!" That''s just putting the vice versa on what''s been said to us, right?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 8:29:13 PM

Date: 8/29/2008 7:21:07 PM

9.gif
Meeeeee toooooo!!!!!
9.gif

22.gif
Right!!!! Its not like I''m going to go up to someone at the store during Back to School shopping, and say, ''GASP!!!! How selfish are you? Spending all that money on your child, when you could be spending it on yourself!!!! Oh, for shame!'' That''s just putting the vice versa on what''s been said to us, right?
EXACTLY, Jo! We don''t make a habit of judging people with kids for choosing to become parents . . . so why do they so often judge us for choosing NOT to?!?!
20.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Right!!!! Its not like I''m going to go up to someone at the store during Back to School shopping, and say, ''GASP!!!! How selfish are you? Spending all that money on your child, when you could be spending it on yourself!!!! Oh, for shame!'' That''s just putting the vice versa on what''s been said to us, right?
LOL!
9.gif
NExt time you are out you should do it. Just be sure to take pictures of their faces and post them for us to see! That would be priceless!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 11:00:05 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

LOL!
9.gif
NExt time you are out you should do it. Just be sure to take pictures of their faces and post them for us to see! That would be priceless!
Ohhhhhh, now that''s a good idea! I''d LOOOOOVE to see the look on their face! LOL!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I think I might get beaten down by soccer mom!
rollpin.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 12:12:35 PM
I think I might get beaten down by soccer mom!
rollpin.gif
ROFL!!! I love the rolling pin! LOL!
9.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
ya, I thought that was a nice touch.....

So I just got back from a day at the beach. There was a family with 4 kids sitting nearby to us, and every other minute they parents were hollering at the kids about something, and all I could do was just sigh in relief! Yup. Definately happy with just da 2 of us! (although I had to laugh my butt off, because apparently they had to improvise for beach toys) ie- mom's vacuum cleaner attachments!!!!! The kids seem to love it though!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Vacuum cleaner attachments??? Inventive, aren''t they?!?!
23.gif

Ya know, the typical kids misbehaving and mom yelling scene is one that makes me SO glad that DH and I have decided not to have kids. One of my pet peeves is when we go out to dinner, to a movie, or to anywhere else where we''re trying to relax and enjoy ourselves, and there''s some screaming kid whose parents are doing absolutely nothing. I know what MY mom would have done if I had thrown a tantrum like that when I was little!!!
32.gif

And these are usually the same people who feel the need to comment on our CFBC status, asking WHY IN THE WORLD we would choose not to have children!!! It makes me want to say, "Well, maybe you should have thought twice before YOU had children, since you obviously refuse to parent them and would rather just let them run amok!"
20.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 12:12:46 AM
23.gif

Ya know, the typical kids misbehaving and mom yelling scene is one that makes me SO glad that DH and I have decided not to have kids. One of my pet peeves is when we go out to dinner, to a movie, or to anywhere else where we''re trying to relax and enjoy ourselves, and there''s some screaming kid whose parents are doing absolutely nothing. I know what MY mom would have done if I had thrown a tantrum like that when I was little!!!
32.gif

And these are usually the same people who feel the need to comment on our CFBC status, asking WHY IN THE WORLD we would choose not to have children!!! It makes me want to say, ''Well, maybe you should have thought twice before YOU had children, since you obviously refuse to parent them and would rather just let them run amok!''
20.gif
Maybe they think that kids just are just great and they aren''t much work at all, just because they are not necessarily putting the work into childrearing that the kids deserve?
33.gif
That just goes in with my philosphy that you shouldn''t have a child unless your going to put 101% into it.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was on a flight home from NY a few years ago, and the child (I''d say 18m - 2yr old) in the seat in front of me screamed all the way from New York to Cincinnati. Our friends who were over and up a row from us said that the mom read a magazine the entire time and paid absolutely no attention to the screaming kid. I think if the mom had changed the diaper (yep, it stunk!) and maybe given her some juice, all would have been fine.

My husband and I joke that a screaming kid follows us everywhere we go. I know parents can''t control when their kids have temper tantrums, but sometimes it just seems like the parents don''t pay attention or even try to calm them down. My BIL and his wife have 5 boys under the age of 9. Those boys act like angels in public. I have a sister with 2 kids who are very well behaved, and another with 2 kids who are so bad, they aren''t allowed to stay overnight at my house at the same time unless my sister is with them. I won''t take both of them shopping at the same time either. My sister has always let them do whatever they wanted, and she hasn''t done them any favors by doing so.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Geez, I''d sort of skimmed over this thread title for the past couple of days because "CFBC" wasn''t ringing any bells (it should have, though since I''m familiar with the phrase). Maybe I was thinking it was a medical condition? I''m sure my MIL considers it some kind of affliction.
20.gif

At any rate, we are. I could list off many, many reasons why, but in reality, I just have never had any real interest in having kids of my own. It was something I made very clear early on to DH, because I know he comes from a family and culture that highly encourages having kids young, and often. He always sort of assumed that he would, but decided it was not a dealbreaker if we don''t. I HAVE left the door open a bit, I suppose, by not opting for permanent birth control when I had the opportunity, and I do revisit the question every so often to see if my basic disinterest has changed. So far, at age 36 (and 42 for him), it has not. I''d love to be someone''s favorite aunt and godmother, but I like (as someone else put it) giving them back to their parents.

It''s a trade off. Sure, maybe we''ll regret it someday. However, I know that there are many valuable and enriching things we would like to do in life, and we will never be able to do all of them. The idea of regretting and bemoaning every unfulfilled potential life experience doesn''t appeal to me. My parents have never bothered us about it, but his mom still hasn''t given up hope. Not many other people have pestered us about it, and the few people who have asked have not harassed us or tried to change our minds. Not sure what I would do in that case. Although, if someone throws the "selfish" remark my way? Let''s just say I have a LOT of snappy comebacks to that one I would love the chance to bust out.
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there anyone else out there who is 'child-free by choice' like DH and I are?
33.gif

Me! Me!!
35.gif

1. What made you decide not to have kids?
Um. Lack of desire for them, his nephews, my nieces and nephews, his heart condition, my unknown medical history, a firm belief that there are plenty of kids out there without us producing any, and we're plain ol' selfish.

2. Do you ever question your decision?
Yes. When I see little girl toddler clothes. But then I experience kids or think about what raising me was like, and I remember why we're not having any again.

3. Do you have friends/family members who just don't 'get it'?
Well, we aren't married yet, but we're about to start embarking on that, and my dad already made a comment about how "I'll understand when I have kids." So I don't think it'll be received well. Along with his sister and nephews who want a baby around. If we did decide to have kids, we wouldn't have much of a family support system because my mom's health is declining rapidly, my dad is 71 and not good with children, his dad and his new wife are uninterested in us, much less another generation, and his sister doesn't exactly have a super stable personal life. So, we'd be on our own, and that would be really hard. However, if later in life we decide we want a child, we would adopt. Period.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 12:18:50 AM

Date: 8/31/2008 12:12:46 AM
23.gif

32.gif

And these are usually the same people who feel the need to comment on our CFBC status, asking WHY IN THE WORLD we would choose not to have children!!! It makes me want to say, ''Well, maybe you should have thought twice before YOU had children, since you obviously refuse to parent them and would rather just let them run amok!''
20.gif
Maybe they think that kids just are just great and they aren''t much work at all, just because they are not necessarily putting the work into childrearing that the kids deserve?
33.gif
That just goes in with my philosphy that you shouldn''t have a child unless your going to put 101% into it.
Jo, I totally agree with this!
36.gif

I think so many people just have kids because it''s the thing to do, and they don''t really put any thought into what raising a child really entails. And then they just do the absolute minimum!
20.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 1:00:06 AM
I was on a flight home from NY a few years ago, and the child (I''d say 18m - 2yr old) in the seat in front of me screamed all the way from New York to Cincinnati. Our friends who were over and up a row from us said that the mom read a magazine the entire time and paid absolutely no attention to the screaming kid. I think if the mom had changed the diaper (yep, it stunk!) and maybe given her some juice, all would have been fine.

My husband and I joke that a screaming kid follows us everywhere we go. I know parents can''t control when their kids have temper tantrums, but sometimes it just seems like the parents don''t pay attention or even try to calm them down. My BIL and his wife have 5 boys under the age of 9. Those boys act like angels in public. I have a sister with 2 kids who are very well behaved, and another with 2 kids who are so bad, they aren''t allowed to stay overnight at my house at the same time unless my sister is with them. I won''t take both of them shopping at the same time either. My sister has always let them do whatever they wanted, and she hasn''t done them any favors by doing so.
Deegee, I think the screaming kid follows us, too! LOL! And you''re right . . . no one can expect a parent to be able to control when their child has a tantrum. BUT, we can expect them to handle it effectively, or at least make an effort! I get SO irritated at the parents like the mom on your flight who just ignore the child, especially when they''re in a public place and they have a "captive audience"!
29.gif

I think people really can "train" their children (for lack of a better word) that tantrums in public are totally unacceptable. It''s just that some parents don''t bother. My boss has five children too, and they are all perfect ANGELS! I am SO impressed with those kids every time I see them! So, it CAN be done, it just requires effort.
5.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 2:00:10 AM
Author: Selkie
Geez, I''d sort of skimmed over this thread title for the past couple of days because ''CFBC'' wasn''t ringing any bells (it should have, though since I''m familiar with the phrase). Maybe I was thinking it was a medical condition? I''m sure my MIL considers it some kind of affliction.
20.gif

At any rate, we are. I could list off many, many reasons why, but in reality, I just have never had any real interest in having kids of my own. It was something I made very clear early on to DH, because I know he comes from a family and culture that highly encourages having kids young, and often. He always sort of assumed that he would, but decided it was not a dealbreaker if we don''t. I HAVE left the door open a bit, I suppose, by not opting for permanent birth control when I had the opportunity, and I do revisit the question every so often to see if my basic disinterest has changed. So far, at age 36 (and 42 for him), it has not. I''d love to be someone''s favorite aunt and godmother, but I like (as someone else put it) giving them back to their parents.

It''s a trade off. Sure, maybe we''ll regret it someday. However, I know that there are many valuable and enriching things we would like to do in life, and we will never be able to do all of them. The idea of regretting and bemoaning every unfulfilled potential life experience doesn''t appeal to me. My parents have never bothered us about it, but his mom still hasn''t given up hope. Not many other people have pestered us about it, and the few people who have asked have not harassed us or tried to change our minds. Not sure what I would do in that case. Although, if someone throws the ''selfish'' remark my way? Let''s just say I have a LOT of snappy comebacks to that one I would love the chance to bust out.
31.gif
Selkie, we haven''t done this either. I''m on the pill (Lybrel, which I
emlove.gif
) and DH has offered several times in the past to get a vasectomy. I just thought "why?" Even if he did, I would still want to be on the pill because it makes life so, um, convenient!
2.gif

And I do like the idea of leaving our options open, at least for now. That way, if we ever DO change our minds at some point in the future, we would still be able to have a child. I don''t really foresee that happening, but you just never know.
5.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 2:45:02 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Is there anyone else out there who is ''child-free by choice'' like DH and I are?
33.gif

Me! Me!!
35.gif

1. What made you decide not to have kids?
Um. Lack of desire for them, his nephews, my nieces and nephews, his heart condition, my unknown medical history, a firm belief that there are plenty of kids out there without us producing any, and we''re plain ol'' selfish.

2. Do you ever question your decision?
Yes. When I see little girl toddler clothes. But then I experience kids or think about what raising me was like, and I remember why we''re not having any again.

3. Do you have friends/family members who just don''t ''get it''?
Well, we aren''t married yet, but we''re about to start embarking on that, and my dad already made a comment about how ''I''ll understand when I have kids.'' So I don''t think it''ll be received well. Along with his sister and nephews who want a baby around. If we did decide to have kids, we wouldn''t have much of a family support system because my mom''s health is declining rapidly, my dad is 71 and not good with children, his dad and his new wife are uninterested in us, much less another generation, and his sister doesn''t exactly have a super stable personal life. So, we''d be on our own, and that would be really hard. However, if later in life we decide we want a child, we would adopt. Period.
Freke, I just KNEW you were "one of us"! LOL!
35.gif

I have considered the adoption idea, too. I don''t think DH would be on board with that, though. He says, if we ever have a kid, he wants it to be biological. I think adopting is a very noble thing, and something I might be able to see myself doing. I don''t think I''d be a very good pregnant person!
40.gif

Good luck when you "break the news" to your family! I remember when I told my parents. I never really set out to tell them, but it just came up in conversation. All four of them (Mom, Stepdad, Dad and Stepmom) were very cool with it. The only person who really has given us any crap is my MIL.
20.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Geez, I''d sort of skimmed over this thread title for the past couple of days because ''CFBC'' wasn''t ringing any bells (it should have, though since I''m familiar with the phrase). Maybe I was thinking it was a medical condition? I''m sure my MIL considers it some kind of affliction.
20.gif

It''s a trade off. Sure, maybe we''ll regret it someday. However, I know that there are many valuable and enriching things we would like to do in life, and we will never be able to do all of them. The idea of regretting and bemoaning every unfulfilled potential life experience doesn''t appeal to me. My parents have never bothered us about it, but his mom still hasn''t given up hope. Not many other people have pestered us about it, and the few people who have asked have not harassed us or tried to change our minds. Not sure what I would do in that case. Although, if someone throws the ''selfish'' remark my way? Let''s just say I have a LOT of snappy comebacks to that one I would love the chance to bust out.
31.gif
LOL! That''s kinda funny......I''m thankful that my mil is being pretty considerate so far. She loves (love is an understatement) kids, and she had 3, and would''ve had another 3 if her body would''ve let her. She wants grandkids soooo badly, but just does her best to bite her tongue. Which I think is pretty big on her part, considering how bad she wants to be a grandma.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 11:52:54 AM

20.gif

31.gif
LOL! That''s kinda funny......I''m thankful that my mil is being pretty considerate so far. She loves (love is an understatement) kids, and she had 3, and would''ve had another 3 if her body would''ve let her. She wants grandkids soooo badly, but just does her best to bite her tongue. Which I think is pretty big on her part, considering how bad she wants to be a grandma.
Oh, Jo, I wish I had your MIL!!! Mine is OBSESSED!!! I could understand it if she didn''t have any grandkids yet (like your MIL), but she has FOUR!!! Two granddaughters and two grandsons. So, seriously, what can we possibly give her that she doesn''t already have?!?! I even told her that one day (in a nice way) because she was just SO getting on my nerves!
11.gif
20.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 7:50:22 AM

Oh, Jo, I wish I had your MIL!!! Mine is OBSESSED!!! I could understand it if she didn''t have any grandkids yet (like your MIL), but she has FOUR!!! Two granddaughters and two grandsons. So, seriously, what can we possibly give her that she doesn''t already have?!?! I even told her that one day (in a nice way) because she was just SO getting on my nerves!
11.gif
20.gif
That''s really too bad. i don''t understand that either when she already has grandkids.....Maybe your hubby is her favorite child.
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, even though I am a breeder myself
emwink.gif
I just wanted to jump in & say that this is a great thread - my aunt and her husband didn''t have kids by chioce, and she is in her 60s now. She says that there was a brief period in her 30s (when they were married for about 10 years) that she changed her mind & decided that she DID want to have kids, but her husband had a vasectomy behind her back, and as you can imagine THAT was a huge, almost relationship-ending fight. However, she said that she thought the urge at the time was biological, and after it passed, she is totally fulfilled with her life, and doesn''t miss not having kids. She said that she really enjoyed just getting to spoil her nieces and nephews. They always did tons of travelling, and got to retire into a BEAUTIFUL house (they never had to pay college tuitions for the kiddies ;-) So, I think that people had can wonderful, fulfilled (nd substantially more peaceful) lives, without children.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 11:56:33 AM
Author: vespergirl
She said that she thought the urge at the time was biological, and after it passed, she is totally fulfilled with her life, and doesn''t miss not having kids.

I had a fascinating conversation with my doctor after I convinced her to give me an IUD referral. I was explaining that even if my biological clock went off, in terms of careers, etc, we''d be in no place to have kids until our mid-forties, and by then it would be unsafe. She blew my mind when she said "Just a biological urge is not a good reason to have children, regardless." At first, I thought "Hubris! Isn''t that why people have kids?" but then it sank in.

I think my mouth dropped open, and then a epiphany-shaped lightbulb went off above my head. Hormones should not be the sole reason for having children, devil take any other details light whether or not you actually want them. Hormones should not be your sole motivation for anything you do.

In terms of the general topic, I haven''t spent much time lately with the world at large so I have been insulated from the kinds of instances that prompted my other thread.

But for those who trot out the tired argument "Do you want to be alone when you are old?" despite the fact that most people don''t spend their days hanging out with their elderly parents, I''d like to snap back "Children are not an insurance policy against being abandoned when you''re old." However, people are already unbelievably rude to and offended by CFBC follwers, and I don''t want to add fuel to the fire.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2008 11:39:41 AM

Date: 9/1/2008 7:50:22 AM

11.gif
20.gif
That''s really too bad. i don''t understand that either when she already has grandkids.....Maybe your hubby is her favorite child.
2.gif
Ya know, I think that might be it! He''s the middle of three kids, but he''s the only boy.
2.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there, even though I am a breeder myself
emwink.gif
I just wanted to jump in & say that this is a great thread - my aunt and her husband didn''t have kids by chioce, and she is in her 60s now. She says that there was a brief period in her 30s (when they were married for about 10 years) that she changed her mind & decided that she DID want to have kids, but her husband had a vasectomy behind her back, and as you can imagine THAT was a huge, almost relationship-ending fight. However, she said that she thought the urge at the time was biological, and after it passed, she is totally fulfilled with her life, and doesn''t miss not having kids. She said that she really enjoyed just getting to spoil her nieces and nephews. They always did tons of travelling, and got to retire into a BEAUTIFUL house (they never had to pay college tuitions for the kiddies ;-) So, I think that people had can wonderful, fulfilled (nd substantially more peaceful) lives, without children.
Hi, Vespergirl! Supportive "breeders" like yourself are very welcome! (Love the word "breeders," BTW! LOL!)
9.gif

I have an aunt and uncle too who never had kids, and they''re perfectly happy. I can imagine the fight when your uncle had that vasectomy behind your aunt''s back, though!!!
23.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2008 12:39:20 PM
Author: Galateia

She said that she thought the urge at the time was biological, and after it passed, she is totally fulfilled with her life, and doesn''t miss not having kids.

I had a fascinating conversation with my doctor after I convinced her to give me an IUD referral. I was explaining that even if my biological clock went off, in terms of careers, etc, we''d be in no place to have kids until our mid-forties, and by then it would be unsafe. She blew my mind when she said ''Just a biological urge is not a good reason to have children, regardless.'' At first, I thought ''Hubris! Isn''t that why people have kids?'' but then it sank in.

I think my mouth dropped open, and then a epiphany-shaped lightbulb went off above my head. Hormones should not be the sole reason for having children, devil take any other details light whether or not you actually want them. Hormones should not be your sole motivation for anything you do.

In terms of the general topic, I haven''t spent much time lately with the world at large so I have been insulated from the kinds of instances that prompted my other thread.

But for those who trot out the tired argument ''Do you want to be alone when you are old?'' despite the fact that most people don''t spend their days hanging out with their elderly parents, I''d like to snap back ''Children are not an insurance policy against being abandoned when you''re old.'' However, people are already unbelievably rude to and offended by CFBC follwers, and I don''t want to add fuel to the fire.
WOW, Galateia, who is your doctor and how soon can I get an appointment??? It''s so refreshing to have a doctor tell you that it''s OK to be CFBC, and that having kids just because your hormones tell you to is not a great idea. She sounds like a wonderful and very wise doctor!
21.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 1:48:30 PM

WOW, Galateia, who is your doctor and how soon can I get an appointment??? It's so refreshing to have a doctor tell you that it's OK to be CFBC, and that having kids just because your hormones tell you to is not a great idea. She sounds like a wonderful and very wise doctor!
21.gif

I've been following this thread and I have to comment - that if any of your doctors have told you that it isn't okay to not have children, well, you need to find a new doctor ASAP! I don't think Gal's doctor is particularly amazing...she is what a doctor should be - supportive of her patient's choices...that really shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary!

DH and I were CFBC for many years of our relationship. We've since had a change of heart - perhaps it is hormones, but I tend to believe it is fact that I've fallen in love with a number of my friend's children and I see what an amazing person DH is...and putting a bit more of him in the world can only be a good thing, and the whole seeing the world through a child's eyes...blah blah blah.

Regardless, when we were CFBC, our friends, family and CERTAINLY our DOCTORS were entirely supportive of this choice.

If your doctors aren't...holy cow. Time to find a new doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results