shape
carat
color
clarity

The Beginng of My Journey!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Alright so I probably figured out what we will be doing during the "day" portion (since the day is his birthday as well). Last night at dinner, he had brought up the topic of how he loved his ceramics classes in high school and that he did it for 5 semesters, loved to glaze all of his stuff, ect, ect.....This was the 2nd or 3rd time he had been raving about it to me.

Originally I was tossing around the idea of having an engagement get together party at a ceramics studio with his friends and we would all have food, hang out and paint pottery. After deciding that most of his friends live further away from the Orlando area (and one couple is planning their wedding for October) I decided that it would be best to leave his immediate friends out of the actual proposal (plus the roles are reversed a bit so I'm not sure if he would be cool with the engagement in front of friends.) O.k. tangent done, so back to the drawing board.

Instead of doing the actual proposal at the pottery studio, I think we will just stop in as "early afternoon/lunchtime" guests and just paint some pottery like it would be any other day. This would be a great time-filler and stress reliever until the "big night out". Plus we can always keep what we make forever and it will have dual meaning (his birthday plus engagement day).

11 a.m.- 1 p.m.: Go to pottery studio and paint pottery
1:30-2:30: Light Lunch?***
2:30-4:30 Possible movie at the place we had our first date.
4:30-5:30: Drive home (he lives 40+ miles from the Disney area so the 528 and 408 may be backed up some)
5:30- 6:30: Get home,Open birthday presents, hang out.
6:30-7:00: Get Ready to go to dinner:
7:00-7:15: Leave his (soon to be our) house and head to dinner
7:45: Arrive at Melting Pot/Check in for reservation.
8:00: dinnertime/ showtime.....
After 8 p.m. sometime =ENGAGED!
36.gif
(hopefully....lol...now I understand what guys go through....yikes....)

***Now I am just debating a "light lunch" spot here in Orlando to take him to his "birthday" lunch. I need somewhere that won't be super-filling or super-expensive but not something too casual like Panera or Chipotle. Any ideas?

I'll drop a line as soon as i have more progress......PD

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful. I love how square it is, great choice.

I love this thread! I asked my bf to marry with an 8mm titanium ring around this time 4 years ago. Good memories.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Addy-
Thanks for being a "loyal viewer"! Without seeming nosy, how did your proposal happen? Was it planned? Spur of the moment? Did you adhere to any of the traditional formailites that a man goes through? I always like to hear how the women do it, since i don''t see much of the "women proposing" stories surface.

It''s refreshing to see that I am not alone in this uncharted territory of the woman proposing. I don''t think that it should be just acceptable on the whole "Leap Day Tradition" only. In fact, I think that it takes away from the seriousness of the proposal if done on a Leap Day because some will think that it was just done because they could do it. Surely I am not saying that all wommen who propose on the day of the Leap Day tradition are doing it with less of a positive intention.

I just think that there should be more women (and men) accepting of the new wave of women proposing.
9.gif

I am keeping this thread in the strictest of detail so that women who are thinking of proposing have a general, factual guide to see "how-to" without stumbling on a bunch of resources criticising her for being"desparate" or "emasculating the male gender". Yes, every relationship is different so the woman must analyze it carefully (as a man would) and determine if the relationship is at a suitable point for a proposal. If yes, then she must find out how the male would feel, if he would be receptive to such a "radical" idea (since 90 percent of the population still believes its the man''s job) and if he is receptive, how to go about it....i.e look at rings he likes, go to places he likes and propose how he would like it to happen.

Well, I will continue to keep everyone posted!
35.gif

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 12:13:50 PM
Author: PrincessDijon
Alright so I probably figured out what we will be doing during the ''day'' portion (since the day is his birthday as well). Last night at dinner, he had brought up the topic of how he loved his ceramics classes in high school and that he did it for 5 semesters, loved to glaze all of his stuff, ect, ect.....This was the 2nd or 3rd time he had been raving about it to me.

Originally I was tossing around the idea of having an engagement get together party at a ceramics studio with his friends and we would all have food, hang out and paint pottery. After deciding that most of his friends live further away from the Orlando area (and one couple is planning their wedding for October) I decided that it would be best to leave his immediate friends out of the actual proposal (plus the roles are reversed a bit so I''m not sure if he would be cool with the engagement in front of friends.) O.k. tangent done, so back to the drawing board.

Instead of doing the actual proposal at the pottery studio, I think we will just stop in as ''early afternoon/lunchtime'' guests and just paint some pottery like it would be any other day. This would be a great time-filler and stress reliever until the ''big night out''. Plus we can always keep what we make forever and it will have dual meaning (his birthday plus engagement day).

11 a.m.- 1 p.m.: Go to pottery studio and paint pottery

1:30-2:30: Light Lunch?***

2:30-4:30 Possible movie at the place we had our first date.

4:30-5:30: Drive home (he lives 40+ miles from the Disney area so the 528 and 408 may be backed up some)

5:30- 6:30: Get home,Open birthday presents, hang out.

6:30-7:00: Get Ready to go to dinner:

After 8 p.m. sometime =ENGAGED!
36.gif
(hopefully....lol...now I understand what guys go through....yikes....)

***Now I am just debating a ''light lunch'' spot here in Orlando to take him to his ''birthday'' lunch. I need somewhere that won''t be super-filling or super-expensive but not something too casual like Panera or Chipotle. Any ideas?

I''ll drop a line as soon as i have more progress......PD
Ok ummm to answer some ?s and give some tips....
1. for light lunch- what about cafe tutu tango! I absolutely love that place!! and itd be a nice place to go to after pottery since its artsy
2. I would probably nix the movie thing... thats SOOO much stuff to do in ONE day ya know??? You dont wanna be tired after eating dinner/proposing ya know?? So then u can go celebrate afterwords... ie.. club downtown or go to a movie then....
3. nixing the movie wont put u in bad traffic either ( I get cranky in orlando traffic..haha) and u never know with the traffic here..it could be worse than u planned ya know.. bcuz alot of conventions get out of that time making traffic worse

Also, I really think itd be cute if u had a matching band!!! :) yay!! goodluck

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I love TuTu Tango....He likes it too...We've been there twice recently and everytime we go we get a photo in the photobooth outside of the entrance....I've put them in my scrapbooks....Great Idea....It never dawned on me and I've been there a million times! (This is why collaborative efforts are great!)

I was wondering if the movie and pottery painting would be a bit much....

There are a few pottery places here but I've never been to any of them but here are a few I was looking at....

Painted By Hue

Glaze Under Fire

Clayhouse Pottery

Those were the only ones that I have found are open on a Sunday.....

I have to get ready for work now....I'll update soon!
35.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you've planned a fun day for your engagement! I'm sure he'll love it. Love the pottery place idea especially!

One thing to think about however... In his Mom's email that you pasted above, she mentioned that your boyfriend is a very private person, and his step-dad mentioned that he's kind of shy. Due to this, I'm wondering if he might prefer to be proposed to at home before you go to the restaurant instead of being proposed to at the restaurant (a very public place where strangers will most likely see and make a big fuss over it)? You said you'd have him open b-day presents at the house right before you go to dinner, so that sounds like a good time to propose to me. Then dinner afterwards is a celebration of your newly-engaged status.

Now of course you know him best, so if you think he'd be fine with a public restaurant proposal, than by all means, do that! But I just wanted to mention the idea for a more private proposal. Oftentimes proposals are accompanied by a bit of crying, kissing, hugging, etc... and personally I'd rather be in private so I could be free to let all my emotions come out and not worry about what I look like in front of strangers. If your boyfriend is a private person, he too may feel more comfortable at this highly emotional time if you two are alone for the actual asking of the question.

Can't wait until Sept 22nd to hear how it all goes!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pottery!! How fun. It sounds like you have a great day planned.

You''re not nosy. We proposal was planned. Both of us are low-key so my plans weren''t as detailed as yours. He gave my ring to me in an even more low-key way.

I may have missed it, is the 12th special to you or simply a day that you''ve decided on?

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 9:41:33 AM
Author: Addy
Pottery!! How fun. It sounds like you have a great day planned.

You''re not nosy. We proposal was planned. Both of us are low-key so my plans weren''t as detailed as yours. He gave my ring to me in an even more low-key way.

I may have missed it, is the 12th special to you or simply a day that you''ve decided on?
The 21st is his 25th birthday. Besides celebrating lower car insurance (he''s a car guy) he told me that his birthday has always been "just another day" (in a sort of sad voice) to him and that he even considered working that day and never did anything in the past for his b-day to make it special. So, that''s why I bumped it up from my November/December time frame. Besides, he went all-out on my birthday this year to make it special and I would like to return the favor (to the best of my abaility anyway).

Low key proposals aren''t always bad at all....I am pretty much a low-key person myself so it is actually taking a lot of effort for me to plan all of this and work. I am also in the process of packing up my apartment and moving in to his house(busy time for me!)

Thanks for the kind words!
PD

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 9:28:12 AM
Author: havernell
Sounds like you''ve planned a fun day for your engagement! I''m sure he''ll love it. Love the pottery place idea especially!

One thing to think about however... In his Mom''s email that you pasted above, she mentioned that your boyfriend is a very private person, and his step-dad mentioned that he''s kind of shy. Due to this, I''m wondering if he might prefer to be proposed to at home before you go to the restaurant instead of being proposed to at the restaurant (a very public place where strangers will most likely see and make a big fuss over it)? You said you''d have him open b-day presents at the house right before you go to dinner, so that sounds like a good time to propose to me. Then dinner afterwards is a celebration of your newly-engaged status.

Now of course you know him best, so if you think he''d be fine with a public restaurant proposal, than by all means, do that! But I just wanted to mention the idea for a more private proposal. Oftentimes proposals are accompanied by a bit of crying, kissing, hugging, etc... and personally I''d rather be in private so I could be free to let all my emotions come out and not worry about what I look like in front of strangers. If your boyfriend is a private person, he too may feel more comfortable at this highly emotional time if you two are alone for the actual asking of the question.

Can''t wait until Sept 22nd to hear how it all goes!
He is a private person to a certain extent. However, the place we are going to has a private booth area where it is not in eye or ear shot of any guests and is secluded deliberately from the rest of the tables. There are also a few tables referred to as "Lovers Lane" by the employees where only couples are allowed. I have requested the private table deliberately so that we would be away from it all.

I never did think of incorporating it in to the b-day presents.....everyones suggestions seem like great ideas!!!

I do think that the pottery place will be fun as well. I''ve never done it so I think it will be cool!

I will definitely keep everyone posted on September 22nd!
9.gif

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
O.k. so I feel like my thread has come to a standstill since I am waiting on stuff to come in the mail

I am waiting on the

Ring Box (from New Zealand)

Story Book (from Shutterfly)

and I am waiting on his b-day presents for earlier that day that I got him on ebay

His diecast model/replica of his Mustang (he''s been wanting one of these for a year or so) (Coming from Georgia)

A couple pairs of his favorite Boxer Briefs that are discontiinued from Calvin Klein (thank goodness for ebay) (Coming from Chicago)

Custom Chicago Cubs T-Shirt (custom name and number) (Coming from Cali)

The UPS people are going to think I am up to something.....lol.....

Waiting is the most nerve-wracking part even if you are the one planning it!!!!!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 7:55:34 PM
Author: PrincessDijon
O.k. so I feel like my thread has come to a standstill since I am waiting on stuff to come in the mail

I am waiting on the

Ring Box (from New Zealand)

Story Book (from Shutterfly)

and I am waiting on his b-day presents for earlier that day that I got him on ebay

His diecast model/replica of his Mustang (he''s been wanting one of these for a year or so) (Coming from Georgia)

A couple pairs of his favorite Boxer Briefs that are discontiinued from Calvin Klein (thank goodness for ebay) (Coming from Chicago)

Custom Chicago Cubs T-Shirt (custom name and number) (Coming from Cali
)

The UPS people are going to think I am up to something.....lol.....

Waiting is the most nerve-wracking part even if you are the one planning it!!!!!

Yay, the majority of my items in transit have arrived safely and are now wrapped up in Happy Birthday paper so I am not tempted to give them to him early....

5 weeks to go until the BIG B&E Day!!!!

I should be getting my story book later today (I''ll have to check my mailbox again...still not here.....)

The ring box I expect will take another few days still because of the distance it has to travel.....

I''ll keep everyone posted...once again....

rainbopaper.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
O.k.

So guess what?

I just went to the mailbox.....

and I got the ring box!!!!YAYAYAYA!

Sorry if the next pat will seem long but I am going to post a few pics of it (in case anyone was curious what the product from TRBC looks like....

TTYL!
35.gif

special 018.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
What it looked like when I opened the box....so cute with the bow!!!!

special 019.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Ta-Dah!!!!

(I bleeped his name out for obvious reasons....so if that''s why the text area looks a bit wierd, that''s why)

special 020.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Another one-----yes, theres a tiny paper heart in the ring slot....

special 021.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Detail photo of the ring slot area....

special 023.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Outside view of the box....sooooo beautiful!

special 024.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
With the ring in it.....don''t worry I cleaned it before I locked it up....it looked like i got a smudge on it ....

special 025.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
O.k. last photo for now......

special 026.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
REVISED TIMELINE (With room for any incedentals that come up time wise)

11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.: Go to pottery studio and paint pottery (studio opens at noon but I budgeted drive time)
2:00- 3:30 p.m.: Light Lunch/Tapas--Probably TuTu Tango (thanks for the idea blondebunny)

330-430: Budgeted "drive home" time in FL traffic...ugh....(luckily it falls on a Sunday so it shouldn''t be too terribly bad)

4:30- 6:00: Get home,chill out, open birthday (only) presents

6:00-7:00: Get Ready to go to dinner

The "showtime" part is where I am a bit confused.....There are a few ways I can go about it.....

I know that it will take place at dinner (since I am strictly playing it off as just a birthday celebration)

I made a custom scrapbook of each month of this year with various "trinkets" that we have picked up on our outings together (it has maybe 3 pics total) and the last page of the book has the three page letter to him that I wrote (which will be the key to the proposal).

I also have a custom ring box (shown above)

and

I have our Story Book from shutterfly (basically the picture version of my scrapbook). I intended it to be an engagement present after the proposal is done to remind him of the proposal day (almost like a momento).

My original plan was to give him the scrapbook right before dessert (after the table had been cleared) and the server would then bring out the ring and do the cheesy dessert proposal....but all sorts of timing issues could go wrong with that....

Next plan was to just tell the restaurant that we are celebrating just his birthday and to do the proposal either during cocktails before apps and dinner come out or after dinner with the scrapbook and being somewhat discreet about it so that the service staff isn''t "in on it" and hovering like a flock of seagulls (I know that I was guilty of doing that when I set up proposals at one of the old restaurants I worked at).

Then a few of you suggested to propose before we leave for dinner. It would take the "surprise" twist out of dinner but, I am not sure how super excited he would be to show off his "shiny new band" as opposed to the women who love to stare at their diamond during a candle-lit dinner...lol...I was totally guilty of doing that the night of my first proposal....

Since you all are awesome with details, I would like to enlist some more suggestions on which route to take.....

Thanks for listening to/following my month-long thread...it will continue in as much detail as I can provide without being extremely obvious.....

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry I got your date mixed up. The ring box is great, what a great idea.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
O.k.

I just got back from my weekend trip and I checked the mail...

The rest of his stuff finally came in! (The story book from shutterfly is awesome....seriously, if you want to make a professional-looking memory keepsake...do it!)

Anyway, I was staying with the SO''s BF and BFFI this weekend and I noticed that she had gotten her FI a Movado as a wedding present (we went in to the mall in WPB with them to the movado store to make the payment). I noticed that my SO was kind of eyeballing the watches (eventhough he only wears one on special occasions).

When I got home today, I looked at the prices of the TAG''s, Movados, ect and they are just a tad out of my price range (for now) so I was looking around and came across the ESQ line (made by Movado). I figured that I would get him a classy, but fairly inexpensive QUALITY watch to top off the engagement (just in case he feels wierd about wearing his ring). I picked one out that has just a tiny bit of bling, but not over the top "Flava-Flav" type bling....

He also will be the BM in his BF''s wedding in October and his family will be there as well so if he doesn''t want to wear the band I picked out for him (in case people think he''s married) I wanted to give him a nice watch to be able to wear that day to symbolize our engagement. (Yes, I will still propose with the ring itself but give him the watch as an "engagement present")

Here''s the one I picked.....what do you think??? (I think it''s a nice upgrade from the Fossils that he has)

ESQVERVEWATCH.jpg

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
hey what is ur budget for watches?? my bf is all into them and I can tell him ur budget and Ill let him search and see what he would like best for around that price if ya want..

I love the watch idea... because since its a nicer one... someone will prob mention something to him and he can say yes my fiance got it for me or something like that :)

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:00:43 PM
Author: blondebunny
hey what is ur budget for watches?? my bf is all into them and I can tell him ur budget and Ill let him search and see what he would like best for around that price if ya want..

I love the watch idea... because since its a nicer one... someone will prob mention something to him and he can say yes my fiance got it for me or something like that :)

Hey thanks for the offer to help...when I go to "upgrade" his watch down the line, I will definitely make sure to consult you and your SO. Ideally my so loves the Black Submariner Rolex but unfortunately 5 grand is a bit much when I don''t have consistent money right now....So I stuck with an ESQ but I actually got a different one than the one pictured above...

It'' pretty nice and since he only wears watches to dress up, I figured why not put a little bling in there... Here''s the lose up of the face....

ESQASTON.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a "zoomed out" view

ESQ ASTON2.jpg

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
And here's the back/band/clasp area!

ESQ ASTON 3.jpg

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
oh I was going to recommend philip stein, we got my BF a really cool one, that helps with stuff...not sure how to explain it, but they do a good job on their site, but jsut wanted to let u know that overstock or amazon has good prices on watches, and I dunno all the kinds mayors has but they have like a 20 month finance program that might be nice to help break up the cost! goodluck!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful watch, I like the face of it, very attractive looking.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 6:52:54 PM
Author: blondebunny
oh I was going to recommend philip stein, we got my BF a really cool one, that helps with stuff...not sure how to explain it, but they do a good job on their site, but jsut wanted to let u know that overstock or amazon has good prices on watches, and I dunno all the kinds mayors has but they have like a 20 month finance program that might be nice to help break up the cost! goodluck!
I agree...Overstock is amazing price wise...I''ve never checked it out until I looked for watches...I might just have to stop by that site more often!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 4:43:20 PM
Author: Addy
Beautiful watch, I like the face of it, very attractive looking.
Thank you, I should be getting it in a few days so I can see it in person...yay...

He only has blue faced watches (all 3 of his fossils are silver with the blue face) and he griipes about not having a black faced watch....So, I went for the black. I did the diamonds because it''s an "engagement" watch and not just any old watch....

Plus it was modestly priced while still looking classy and not sacrificing quality!

I am excited to get it soon!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results