shape
carat
color
clarity

Teaser pics of red spinels available!

empress

Shiny_Rock
I think it's important to remember that Doug was selling this gem for someone else - and that the owner controlled the price.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I don't believe I said anything about only patting one another's backs. It is, after all, a consumer advocate site. I've learned a lot here even before joining, and I expect I'll continue to learn in the future. That's one of the main reasons I'm here, and, I would assume, a major reason for most posters. If I were planning a major purchase of a gemstone I was unfamiliar with, or that I wanted opinions on, I would definitely solicit the experienced opinions of the CS forum, and take those opinions into consideration. It's my impression that that is exactly what Bright Ice did. I appreciate everyone on CS who takes the time to post, and who shares his/her knowledge, experience, or enthusiasm.

On the other hand, I do think it's possible for us to get carried away by our own little hobby-horses, and stop paying attention to what the OP of a thread is really asking. As I said before, I've done it myself, and I've also noticed that if you (generalized you) make a new poster (or even an old poster!) feel silly, or foolish, or that what they like is "not good" etc., they either don't come back, or ration their posts, and that even regular or semi-regulars seem to me to have a fairly defensive posture towards their purchases. I think that's unfortunate, but realize I may be in the minority.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife,
I respect your opinion. I hope what you said in your last paragraph isn't true, but you may be observing some behavior that I don't see as well as you do. I would feel bad if that were true.

Again, speaking for myself, I hope I don't sound harsh in my posts, I don't mean to, but the written word can often be misconstrued as such, and have a harsh "sound" although you can't hear anything. I'm just brutally honest to a point sometimes, and well, I'm grateful that people allow me to be. I'm actually thoroughly enjoying this thread and the lively debate. :bigsmile:

MontageCreations

Rough_Rock
Trade
Rods see pure red,
while cones see just blue.

Poor Doug says "pure red",
while others dance his 'Waterloo'.

Alas, I'm on pain meds,
so my ryhmes are too short.

But while the debate rages on
this thread, I just wanted to abort.

I may have something better to contribute in a few days, and all sarcasm aside, this is meant purely to interject a little levity into this lively banter.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
-Crasru, I am so happy to see you using different kelvin bulbs now to view stones and snap pics. I wish more would take the time to learn the differences between temps. and the effects they have. Now you easily see why ALL gemstones are color shift gemstones. :appl:

-Pure red spinels are very very rare...(wink wink, Harriet). To use that statement your stone better be able to back it up.

MieleMelograno

Rough_Rock
One thing I have always found intriguing is in the gemstone industry there is this need to have everything neatly catagorized. This way we are able to price things as more rare etc. but in the art world we resolve to the reality that reds or blues in one pigment may be considerd brown or purple or respectively in other cultures...

as an art history major bent on conserving frescoes in Italy (which never happened ... I ran out of college funds) I learned how to make oil paints and tempera paints from pigments and mediums.

and so I introduce you to Kremer pigments.... http://kremerpigments.com/shopus/index.php?cat=01&lang=ENG&product=14252 This company supplies many of the worlds top conservationists with pigments to restore priceless works of art.

I am lucky enough to have walls painted with their Veronese Green Earth (green clay from Verona, Italy) suspended in a low VOC base.

I just though it'd be fun to see another take on color theory

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I hope you don't think my post was directed at you in any way, because it certainly was not intended that way. You very generously give your time and experience to help posters to the CS forum navigate the world of colored stones, and I--and I'm sure many others--really appreciate that. I also think that anyone who posts asking for an opinion should expect for the opinions given to be honest, otherwise there isn't much point in asking. My comment was really directed at the threads where (to use one example) someone posts about his/her new stone or piece of jewelry, and someone inevitably says something along the lines of "Well, I usually hate rose gold/yellow gold/grey modifiers/orange modifiers/bezels/whatever, but as long as you're happy..." I've made comments like that myself, much as I hate to admit it. Those are the threads that I think it is worthwhile to make sure that the response really is in line with what the OP was asking. Especially since those threads usually boil down to personal opinion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1306472309|2931499 said:
TL, I hope you don't think my post was directed at you in any way, because it certainly was not intended that way. You very generously give your time and experience to help posters to the CS forum navigate the world of colored stones, and I--and I'm sure many others--really appreciate that. I also think that anyone who posts asking for an opinion should expect for the opinions given to be honest, otherwise there isn't much point in asking. My comment was really directed at the threads where (to use one example) someone posts about his/her new stone or piece of jewelry, and someone inevitably says something along the lines of "Well, I usually hate rose gold/yellow gold/grey modifiers/orange modifiers/bezels/whatever, but as long as you're happy..." I've made comments like that myself, much as I hate to admit it. Those are the threads that I think it is worthwhile to make sure that the response really is in line with what the OP was asking. Especially since those threads usually boil down to personal opinion.

I didn't think your post was completely directed at me, maybe partially, which is fine. Everyone has their opinon of everyone else, and I respect that. I know I don't make everyone keenly joyous when I come on here. :lol: But that's okay. Thanks for the kind words though.

I feel that it gets boring if people only say "oooooh" and "aaaaah" all the time, and it never gets educational if that happens. I have been known to do that "well, it has a modifier" thing a lot. In fact, I'm kind of known for that. ;-) It's usually in the threads where people ask opinions on the stone or a potential setting. Normally I'll try to write my stone comments less offensive if it's a setting opinion - "oh that setting will bring out the blue" or "I think it would look prettier in a prong ring instead of a bezel."

However, if someone comes on here saying, "look at my new goody!!" I will usually say something complimentary, or nothing at all. At least I do try, and if I haven't at times, well, I apologize to the forum. It's really not nice to put someone's new stone down unless they want honest opinions. :)) If they're within the return period, it's even more important to give honest opinions in those types of threads as well.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1306499441|2931596 said:
I didn't think your post was completely directed at me, maybe partially, which is fine. Everyone has their opinon of everyone else, and I respect that. I know I don't make everyone keenly joyous when I come on here. :lol: But that's okay. Thanks for the kind words though.

I feel that it gets boring if people only say "oooooh" and "aaaaah" all the time, and it never gets educational if that happens. I have been known to do that "well, it has a modifier" thing a lot. In fact, I'm kind of known for that. ;-) It's usually in the threads where people ask opinions on the stone or a potential setting. Normally I'll try to write my stone comments less offensive if it's a setting opinion - "oh that setting will bring out the blue" or "I think it would look prettier in a prong ring instead of a bezel."

However, if someone comes on here saying, "look at my new goody!!" I will usually say something complimentary, or nothing at all. At least I do try, and if I haven't at times, well, I apologize to the forum. It's really not nice to put someone's new stone down unless they want honest opinions. :)) If they're within the return period, it's even more important to give honest opinions in those types of threads as well.

As I said before, I really do think that if someone asks for an opinion, then they ought to expect for opinions to be given. And the modifier thing?-- we all do that, because this is, after all, a colored stone forum.

My original post really wasn't directed at you, TL, or anyone is particular. I tend to say what I mean, if I bother to post at all, so if it had been, we wouldn't have needed to have this conversation, because there wouldn't have been any doubt! If I made you feel uncomfortable, I sincerely apologize, because that was my intention. However, I do stick to my original point: I'm not going to link to any specific thread, but I had noticed, especially with posters who are new to the forum, that sometimes after we've all had our say, any pleasure or excitement she may have had in (picking a random, made-up example) choosing a stone for an engagement ring is gone, and s/he slinks away never to be heard of again.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1306507513|2931676 said:
As I said before, I really do think that if someone asks for an opinion, then they ought to expect for opinions to be given. And the modifier thing?-- we all do that, because this is, after all, a colored stone forum.

My original post really wasn't directed at you, TL, or anyone is particular. I tend to say what I mean, if I bother to post at all, so if it had been, we wouldn't have needed to have this conversation, because there wouldn't have been any doubt! If I made you feel uncomfortable, I sincerely apologize, because that was my intention. However, I do stick to my original point: I'm not going to link to any specific thread, but I had noticed, especially with posters who are new to the forum, that sometimes after we've all had our say, any pleasure or excitement she may have had in (picking a random, made-up example) choosing a stone for an engagement ring is gone, and s/he slinks away never to be heard of again.

Make ME feel uncomfortable?? LOL!! You didn't, but if you haven't noticed, I have really thick skin. Thanks anyways, no need to apologize. :bigsmile:

Hopefully newbies come on board here not just to show off their gems, but to learn as well. I will say that there are some gems that people will show off, and they will be criticized no matter what, for as colored stoners, we're often purists. Mystic topaz comes to mind. I just don't comment on those types of threads. :oops:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1306508386|2931682 said:
Aoife|1306507513|2931676 said:

Make ME feel uncomfortable?? LOL!! You didn't, but if you haven't noticed, I have really thick skin. Thanks anyways, no need to apologize. :bigsmile:

Hopefully newbies come on board here not just to show off their gems, but to learn as well. I will say that there are some gems that people will show off, and they will be criticized no matter what, for as colored stoners, we're often purists. Mystic topaz comes to mind. I just don't comment on those types of threads. :oops:

Sheesh, I need to reread before I post. This is what happens if I write things before my second cup of morning tea. My post should, of course, have had a "not" in between the "was" and the "my intention"! Sorry, TL!

And mystic topaz? Umm. Yeah. :rolleyes:

So far as why newbies come here, I suspect most people who are not already on the colored stone bandwagon have absolutely no idea what they are getting in to. Personally, I think it would be great if they were intrigued and encouraged enough to stick around, rather than running for the hills, but I know that's probably not realistic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we'll keep some newbies around, like BrightIce. Look at the happy outcome she has had. Wow, this thread really got a life of it's own, didn't it? :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amethystguy|1306458074|2931324 said:
-Pure red spinels are very very rare...(wink wink, Harriet). To use that statement your stone better be able to back it up.

Hi, amethystguy-

I see you are a trade member. I take it that you are, therefore, participating on a consumer forum to help elucidate diamonds and gemstones for consumers.

Your remarks to Harriet were clear as mud. Please tell me in nice, clear English what on earth you are talking about. If you are alluding to some in-group things to which some of us are not privy, please explain.

Thanks.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
colorluvr|1306363281|2930241 said:
I'm getting a "red" Tanzanian spinel this Friday from a US vendor. (not ebay) He described it as Red, but said if you shine a light on it from the back, it will show a bit of orange. It will be interesting to compare it with the photos and descriptions on this thread. I must have talked to him on the phone, about this stone (as far as the color was concerned) 5 times longer than I usually do about a stone. He's been in the business a long time and he was still having a difficult time explaining the color verbally and couldn't get a photo of the true color, so he just said he'd send me the stone to see for myself. He did say that it wasn't the "ultimate" red because of the orange it shows in some lighting, but he assured me it wasn't the color of my flame spinel, so we'll see.

I'll post pictures if I decide to keep it.

I got stone in the mail today - it went back in the mail today :(sad Pretty stone, but it did show a bit of orange in some lighting. He was completely correct in his description, as it was more red and less orange than my flame spinel, but I was hoping for a red red, so back it went.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1306537144|2932037 said:
amethystguy|1306458074|2931324 said:

Hi, amethystguy-

I see you are a trade member. I take it that you are, therefore, participating on a consumer forum to help elucidate diamonds and gemstones for consumers.

Your remarks to Harriet were clear as mud. Please tell me in nice, clear English what on earth you are talking about. If you are alluding to some in-group things to which some of us are not privy, please explain.

Thanks.

Deb/AGBF

Hi Deb,
I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't understand AmethystGuy's cryptic comment. Perhaps he's implying that, unless one has a top specimen, one ought not make statements about that variety of gem. Wouldn't that prohibit many people from discussing, say, Kashmir sapphires?

AmethystGuy,
My apologies for not comprehending your comment. Separately, thank you for the honourable mention in the "Beginnings" thread.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1306417878|2930775 said:
crasru|1306382192|2930540 said:
Ruby and pink sapphire hold their colors in real life conditions, while the stone turns orange.

crasru-I am very much enjoying your postings, but if you have the time, I would love to see your ruby and pink sapphire under the Solux and Otts lights, too. Right now, I have only seen one stone under those lighting conditions. So I have seen that it changes from being under those lights to being in real sunlight. And I have read that your ruby and pink sapphire "hold their color" in real sunlight. But compared to what? I wonder if the color of the ruby and the pink sapphire would also be changed by being under Solux and Otts lights.

Thank you for taking the time to educate us!!!

Deb/AGBF

OK, the thread has exhausted itself of course but since I promised to post pictures... So that it does not appear that I am avoiding the topic. My kid is better and i have made some pictures. This is ruby under Ott lamp...l it blurry sorry I was very tired since I had not slept for two nights and still had to work... but the ruby has strong fluorescence and looks well. My Ott lamp has some fluorescent component in it.

rubyott1.JPG

rubyott2.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now Solux light...

rubysoldark.JPG

rubysolux1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Teaser pics of red spinels available!http://www.pricesco

It is a little bit harder with the sapphire... I put it on my middle finger as a weight-gaining-prevention measure which actually works but I can not easily pull it off especially by the end of the day. So it is all on the finger.

Ott lamp.

sapphott1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solux lamp... again, sorry for poor pics, it was hard.

solux5.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On this one, the stone is in relative darkness.

solux2.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph your rings and post the the pictures, crasru! I was just checking into Pricescope quickly before starting a big day of socializing, so I will not take the time to analyze them now. (Not that my abilities to analyze are worth a darn, I just feel I should give the photos my best shot after asking you to post them!)

I wanted to thank you for putting so much work into this project before I went off to do other things, however. You are such a helpful, knowledgeable Pricescope member!!!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru-

Thank you again for taking the photographs of your ruby and pink sapphire rings under different lights. I have now had some time to study them. I am afraid that the differences I notice most are among amounts of light (no matter what kind of light) for any given stone! As a certain stone is shown under very bright, then increasingly dimmer light (of any sort), it seems to change hue/and or saturation in my eyes! (I know that the hue does not, of course, change.)

I found it very interesting to see. Thank you!

Best regards,
Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results