carat
color
clarity

Teach your daughters not to get drunk

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat said:
I want to teach my kids red flags, how to recognize them and how to react appropriately. Sometimes recognizing those red flags and being able to react is inhibited. I will not teach them that if judgement is impaired they are at fault. I will teach them if they are not impaired they are more likely to be able to recognize red flags and defend themselves if need be. I will not teach them that if they are impaired they are going to be a victim. I will teach them that if they are not impaired they are more likely to be able to react.

I agree with this explanation too. It's also about taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY - both boys and girls. You are NEVER at fault for sexual assault but we should teach our children in detail what consent is. Teach them to look out for yourself & look out for the safety of others too. To make sensible decisions whenever possible and how best to defend yourself. We all know the world is predominately not a safe place. Teaching common sense does not necessarily equate to subscribing to rape culture.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it is perpetuating rape culture or not, or simply dealing with reality. I have and I will talk to my kids about drinking, about drugs. I've talked to them about how it is not OK to let other kids or adults touch you. And no matter what, that they can always talk to me about anything. And about situational awareness, such as walking outside wearing earbuds. I plan to have my daughters take self-defense classes. It won't necessarily prevent every bad thing happening, but I want to give my daughters all the protections I can. Though it is horrible and depressing to see the news at how prevalent this all is, at least it is a wake up call, and hopefully people will not be afraid to speak up when something happens, and it is not swept under the rug, which is what happened really up until recently.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Related to rape culture... I live in a safe neighborhood, but when I'm home alone overnight, I always make double sure that all doors are secured. And I realized it's specifically to make sure an intruder cannot enter while I'm sleeping and attack me. I'm not even worried about theft. And then I thought... hmmm, would a man home alone be concerned about being raped while he slept? Probably not! And then I just feel angry. WTF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results