shape
carat
color
clarity

Taking your ring off for others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:10:56 AM
Author: beau13
Date: 3/23/2009 10:49:36 AM

Author: the rube

I''m a really friendly, laid back gal. I''ve taken off my ring to show it to people I know, friends, family, etc. I''d rather let them hold it than have them grabbing my hand. I''ve also switched rings with a friend once or twice while in a bar or restaurant. And while at Pricescope GTG''s I''ve put my jewelry on the table and didn''t see it again for two hours!

The best way to see jewelry is to really look at it in your own hand, so I figure why the heck not? I''m not giving it over to strangers for safekeeping or anything crazy like that, but I''m pretty laid back. Of course, I don''t own a 3ct. doorknob and I do have insurance. Both those things give me more freedom I think, to be okay with handing over my ring when someone asks to see it.

Plus I''ve found it''s really cool to see how gorgeous your own ring looks from afar!!
9.gif
9.gif
Ain''t that the truth!

Very nice ring you got there too Rube!!

Thanks beau! What a compliment coming from you...I''ve been oogling at your avatar since I first saw it!!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 11:25:23 AM
Author: CrookedRock
I''m the same way. I take it off all the time. Tons of people of tried it on. Doesn''t bother me at all. When people ask to try it on I''m flattered.
I''m less likely to hand it to a jeweler to take to the back for cleaning! LOL

Only issue I''ve ever had is FI''s Mom was looking at it right after we got engaged while eating on the deck of the country club. She dropped it and it literally landed in a crack. Thank godness the stone was larger than the crack and it didn''t fall down! FI was already out of his chair ready to climb under the deck! LOL
3.gif
Haha ditto! I let my friends try it on whenever, and colleagues ask me to take it off to see it too - I don''t really care. Granted, it is in controlled environments (at my desk/lunch/etc). I wouldn''t take it off in some situations - say..on a boat? haha

However, like CR, I''m much more worried at a jewellery store - the first time a jeweller asked to see it, she took it and RUBBED THE DIAMOND ON HER SHIRT!!! I almost lost it (inside) becuase all I could think of were the prongs grabbing the fabric and getting loose! The second time was sadly highlighted in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-feel-sick-lost-2-stones.78882/

Won''t do that again - that is for sure :)

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
My RB is over 3 carats and I have only let my mom try it on in the privacy of our homes. No one has ever asked- and I''m glad because I would probably say NO. Especially in public!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 10:17:45 PM
Author:Moh 10
Do you, have you, ever taken your ring off to show it to others?
Yep.

If so when, where and for whom?

For instance, only in your home and only for immediate family members, closest friends etc.

Or, never when/where alcohol is served etc.
Don't recall exactly when, I remember locations but does it matter? I think one was in a classroom at my university, one was in a restaurant in Vegas, and one was at a friend's apartment. I've let close friends try it on when they've asked, I don't see the harm. Not like they're gonna run off with it. Never in a crowded bar setting like the other poster... only in places which it would be easy to recover if it were dropped. I've never been asked by a stranger or casual acquaintance, it seems to me that that's an inappropriate thing to ask someone you don't/barely know.

I never made a rule about the presence of alcohol. It hasn't ever come up.

I have, however, not worn my e-ring out when I knew I'd be drinking a lot that night (has only happened once or twice since I got engaged two years ago).

What are your personal rules about taking your ring off for others?
If I feel comfortable, I do. If I don't, I don't. Pretty simple!

What do you say if someone you should trust asks you to take it off in a safe place so they can see it but you'd rather not?
I can't imagine why you wouldn't (if you trust them, and the location is safe), unless you have a superstition about it or feel paranoid/overly protective over the ring. In which case, it would be appropriate to say something to that affect - ie. "I never take it off - ever!" or "I'm too paranoid, I never take it off outside my home."

John NC

Rough_Rock
My new fiance took her grandmothers wedding ring (worn on the other hand) off to show me some of the details when we were at a bar a year ago... well sure enough it slipped out of her hand and bounced off something and took off across a crowded room, loud, live band, very dark and smoky, standing room only... Well we of course flipped out and I dive face down on the ground to try to find it. No luck, so I jump up and try to let folks know what I''m doing, thinking that I might pull the plug on the band or who knows what- freaking out. Well of course a scene is developing, 2 people frantically looking all over a nasty floor for an heirloom ring bumping into peoples legs and feet, and a girl who was watching starts looking around on the floor with us after we yelled what we''d lost, then another... then another- sure enough girl 1 finds it and with a HUGE smile and cheer presents it to Amanda. She''s crying at this point and I''m panicked. Another girl (another group) says "I''d have KEPT IT!"- well I was too grateful to be mad so we thanked group #1, bought them drinks, and went straight home for a quiet night- WHEW!
Point is, if it can happen it will, be careful! And if the item to be lost is high $$ and of high sentimental value for some reason the odds go up that something can happen, Newtons Law or something.
The girl found the ring a good 10 feet from where we lost it- yikes!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have taken my ring off to show people, but the other day I was wearing it to work (finally got the new band back from simon g, had it remilgrained and cleaned and polished up) and one of my co-workers asked to try it on and as she was taking it off, she dropped it right on the hard metal counter by the sink and I almost started to cry.

She was really apologetic, but imagine if she had damaged the diamond or loosened up one of the pave, or just dented up the prongs.

So now, I will have to think twice.

Also, I notice some people are not careful and will wear it next to their diamond rings and I would be afraid to have our diamonds touch and scratch one another....
32.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I would let someone else handle it. I have had them grab my hand and start touching it - I was very polite but didn''t want to be.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results