shape
carat
color
clarity

I Feel Sick - Lost 2 Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
7.gif
7.gif
7.gif

I feel just sick sick sick.

I did the stupidest thing. I know the pave rules. Don''t put it in the ultra sonic.

I''ve had my ring since July 07. No issues. Never saw an ultrasonic.

Today I met FI at our family jeweller to pick out his wedding band. She looks at my ring. Says it needs a clean.

What do you use? I ask

"An ultra sonic and soft brushes" she says.

"I was told not to use those because stones will fall out" I tell her.

"Oh no - I use it all the time. They never come out of mine. Don''t worry" she says. She uses a loupe and looks at all my prongs. Says it looks very well set and should be fine.

I figure, if I can trust anyone, it is our family jeweler.

Off it goes. Wave bye bye.

Comes back. I take the new polished pretty ring. Put it on. She yells out to the polisher guy "and how many stones did she lose?"

"None" he says. She smiles.

I look.

My heart sinks.

One stone gone.

Hand it over - she looks. Two stones gone.

"Don''t worry - we''ll fix it" she says.

Of course, the setter is gone so it can''t be fixed until TUESDAY. I feel sick. I want to throw up. She looks at me like I am NUTS for being upset.

I ask her for my diamonds, and she says she has to empty out the whole bath to get them. Don''t worry, she says, we''ll fix it up on Tuesday.

I am fuming and feel sick in a "I should have known/I told you so" kind of way. And she thinks I''m crazy for being upset. Like "it happens'' or something.

Not what she was saying before she took the ring. The exact opposite is what she said!

I bawled on the way home. Spent the last 20 minutes over analysing every dent every mark thinking they''ve not only lost my stones, but damaged the platinum.

I feel so bloody stupid.
7.gif
8.gif
7.gif
8.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Awww listen don''t feel bad! It happens. At least it happened there and they can fix it for you. You still have your diamonds. Imagine if you just up and lost them! It could always be worse girl. **HUGS** you deserve those!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Will the ultrasound be cleaned to find those stones? Seems that would be the appropriate way to handle the situation since you''d want to be sure the stones match the ones in your ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i'm sorry you're upset but goodness, look at the bright side. you now have a super clean ring and the stones will be replaced for you for free and most likely it was dirt holding them in anyway, so it's better they got lost there in the ultrasonic where they can fish them out.

i just purchased a pave ring and i will treat it kindly but I refuse to be freaked out or upset if I lose a stone. it can be replaced, there are way bigger things in life to be upset about.

i'm sorry you have to wait until tuesday, but don't worry, my guess is your ring will be good as new.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 6:56:06 PM
Author: mrssalvo
well, i''m sorry you''re upset but goodness, look at the bright side. you now have a super clean ring and the stones will be replaced for you for free and most likely it was dirt holding them in anyway, so it''s better they got lost there in the ultrasonic where they can fish them out.

i just purchased a pave ring and i will treat it kindly but I refuse to be freaked out or upset if I loose a stone. it can be replaced, there are way bigger things in life to be upset about.

i''m sorry you have to wait until tuesday, but don''t worry, my guess is your ring will be good as new.

Yup it happens. And I''ve been told by a few jewelers that it''s ok to put pave in the US. I''ve been putting mine in once a week or so and getting the prongs checked often and my wedding ring is totally fine. I lost 2 stones in my ER early on, but it was because they were hand set and it wasn''t deep enough. After it was fixed I had zero problems with that ring too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep better too lose them in the cleaner than the mall.
If they came out they were about ready too come out anyway.

Brilyant

Shiny_Rock
So sorry for what happened...
7.gif

Wait, so pave = no ultrasonic?

How do you clean pave?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 7:07:26 PM
Author: Brilyant

How do you clean pave?

many folks just use a baby toothbrush and a home cleaning solution. lots of threads, just type in cleaning pave.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Oct2008bride! I''d feel horrible too
8.gif
That saleslady sounds jerky to me. It''s natural to be upset when stones pop out! Especially when they assure you that the cleaning will be safe.

I''m glad to hear that it will be fixed--sorry you have to wait till next week.

When I had my morganite ring set--the jeweler handed it to me, and lo and behold a pave stone was missing. I handed it right back and showed it to her. She laughed and said, "You Asians are so picky." (I''m half Asian) Suffice it to say, I''ll never go back to that jeweler again.

I don''t like it when jewelers are rude/blase/jerky/insensitive when they damage your stuff--accidents or not.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey I'm so sorry. So so sorry. I'd be upset too! I know how that feels when against your better judgement you get tempted like that... and then BAM, your kicking yourself and staring down going I KNEW better, WHY did I do that.

But it's okay. You have insurance. I wouldn't let them touch it though. AT ALL. I'd call my insurance ASAP. I really would. If they screw with it further and another problem crops up the insurance may deny the claim if you don't notify them of it NOW. I would also call the jeweler and tell them you want your EXACT stones set aside NOW though and that they need to clean that US.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear I am so sorry.

I would like to suggest that while the saleslady was crowing in the form of mocking you, she got caught in the middle and her reaction that you are offended by...is the fact that she had a really large crow fly into her mouth within seconds of handing you back your ring!!

The larger the crow the tougher the chew. I can't believe she didn't respond with an sincere apology and a quick attempt to fish them out. Instead she is brushing it off and then postponing until Tuesday? Arggh.

I think she is handling it the only way she is equipped to do it...and that is not to admit fault or that you were right. That would give me the woollies to ever have an issue with her again. You know she is unable to take the blame or stand up and do what is right. I would have fished those stones out with my teeth for you had that had been me. And presented them in tears of embarrassment.

Sorry to add to you frustration...I wish I had left you such an uplifting positive post such as MrsSalvo. Could you go back and read hers again to dilute mine?
16.gif

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
actually, its almost GOOD thing. you know those were the only two loose ones and they are not lost! the ring should be in good shape and clean for a while, think of it as a servicing, a free one, cause i''m sure you aren''t paying for the reset! i put mine in the US and have never lost one. i did lose one, however, jsut after getting the center stone set, the setting caused some bending near a prong which loosened pave stone. it was replaced for me free of charge, and the rest were looked over, so i felt ok about it happening, since i knew i was going to get some free servicing. anyway, my jeweler says with pave, EXPECT that fact that over time , you will loose one or two. the maker of my setting says that if it happens in a nonconspicious place, dont even worry about it. right now i actually have a cracked micropave in my setting. i wacked my hand on something apparently and its all cloudy. you need a loupe to see it and my jeweler said it would be foolish to repair it right now. so, pave is beautiful, but let face it, stuff happens to it, we just have to accept that if thats the kind of setting we want. cheer up!!!!!!!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry! Mostly for how she ACTED about it, that was not right! I''m glad they are fixing it......I would be VERY upset, too. Tuesday is a long time to wait when it come to diamonds, at least to me!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. It''s a good thing it happened there though so they can fix it for you.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

You guys are really the best - just reading your posts now and they are really making me feel better.

It''s funny - you are giving the advice that I would have likely given to someone else in my shoes however it just felt so different when it was ME! I could not even calm myself down...

I feel stupid that I didn''t make her get the diamonds. I think I just felt so close to tears that I wanted to get out of there.

I figure that it is unlikely she would just let those diamonds stay in the US and find 2 of her own to fix it right? I mean why would she throw that money away right?

Ugh - I just feel so dumb! I hope it is all fine on Tuesday.

One more question - I don''t know how platinum polishing works - but can it cause any damage?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, October!!! But dont worry, at least it is fixable, and it will be as good as new in a few days....
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s kind of like getting the first scratch on your new car. It hurts but afterwards you are a little more laid back when future things might happen. I have lost a melee in the u/s too. It is a PITA but not the end of the world. They will fix it and it will be as good as new. I guess you have good instincts and just have to remember to trust them. That *could* have been loose to begin with so at least they were not lost and gone forever.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for the upset, but yes...it is a good thing that it happened there. And at least you were able to say "I told you so", lol. I should think that they would get your stones out of the US and reset them. It will be ok!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s always a bummer, but it will be fixed and good as new in a few days. Good thing it happened there than elsewhere. Hang in there!!!
1.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, that sucks that you have to wait to get the stones reset
7.gif

I clean my pave'' hoops in the ultrasonic all the time. I figure, better to have those little guys safe and sound in the cleaner, if they are going to come out- rather than some random place I wouldn''t be able to find them. And at least after the jeweler resets them and checks everything else, I know I am safe for a while.

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
oh gosh... sorry to hear that... I''d go crazy and ended up crying in front of her right away... but like everyone''s saying, don''t feel too distress over this, at least they are fixing it for you..

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2008 12:01:10 AM
Author: StarbuttsKoffee
oh gosh... sorry to hear that... I''d go crazy and ended up crying in front of her right away... but like everyone''s saying, don''t feel too distress over this, at least they are fixing it for you..

Haha I was really close to crying in front of her. FI is glad I didn''t as he thinks she wouldn''t do as good of a job on HIS ring if I cried! haha

I hope everything goes okay when I go in on Tuesday - ugh - I still feel kind of sick about it. But I agree with everyone that it could be a lot worse and if they were going to come out, better there (and her responsibility!) then on the street.

I have kept it in its box all day - I''ll feel better once they are in and they''ve all been checked.

Thanks again every one.

Not sure if anyone knows, but how exactly does platinum get polished??

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE:

So I went in today to have the stones put back in.

Rather then emptying the ''bath'' as she calls it, the jeweller selects two of her stones to go in. I think that is garbage, however I figure that if I don''t like them, they can be replaced.

The ring is gone.

I wait.

I wait.

Comes back.

I look at it. There is now a visible gouge in the platinum where one of the stones went in.

I feel sick again.

They take it back to the setter to smooth it out - however he doesn''t really want to work on the ring anymore since it is so delicate.

So much for a guy who ''works with pave all the time''.

It comes back. The mark is still there. The ''beads'' that hold the stones in are not delicate and even - more smoushed over the stone.

I am so upset.

However, in probably the only good decision making moment for this whole experience, I tell them to give me my ring back. I put it on my finger, and told them that this was like a bad haircut - at some point you just have to STOP CUTTING, you know?

So I am supremely disappointed. However, I know that the marks are probably unnoticeable. My FI said he will make an appointment with the jeweller who made it in NYC for the weekend in June when I am going for a visit, and we will let him fix it up. Only then will I be happy that everything in it is done properly.

Lesson learned.

I''ll see if I can take some pics that show the damage tonight. Ugh. Thanks for listening.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that sucks! Make sure you send the bill to this B&M!

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that. I hope the original jeweler can fix it to your satisfaction and maybe your family jeweler can help you with the bill.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would be fixed good as new.

At least you know the stones are secure and the ring is wearable. I know that I would be obsessing over the damage and would spend a ton of time staring at it. Hopefully you will be able to move past it in just a few days. June is closer than it seems!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to try showing you the damage - it is hard to show in pictures but here goes...

Ring Damage 002 makes me sad.JPG

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Last one

Ring Damage 003 reeally bugs me.JPG

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so upset for you.. Did they ever give you back your original diamonds? I can''t believe those people.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 11:18:41 AM
Author: curiopotter
I''m so upset for you.. Did they ever give you back your original diamonds? I can''t believe those people.
Nope - however I am going to get the diamonds replaced in June and will give her back her crappy stones and give her the bill.

Of course I can''t stop staring at the damage - I''ve actually had to put my loupe away, because it gets me so upset.

I realize it could be worse, and I feel better knowing it will be fixed eventually - I think I am still kicking myself for making the decision I did.

Ah well...live and learn right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results