shape
carat
color
clarity

Taking good pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I tried taking pictures of my current rings for fun today and I was disappointed with the way they turned out. I have a nice, new digital camera so I don''t think that is the issue... what am I doing wrong? I see so many of you taking beautiful super close shots, how do you do it? If anyone can explain or knows of an existing thread on this that they could direct me to I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, but here is what I have picked up from those who take outstanding pics.

Firstly, out of every 100 or so pics, expect only a few might be any good. Try to keep the sun behind you when you take the shots, also use macro mode on the camera ( flower icon). A tripod is good if you have one, but you need to keep the camera as still as possible otherwise. Practise seems to be the key and experimenting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also turn off the flash.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:11:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
I am no expert, but here is what I have picked up from those who take outstanding pics.

Firstly, out of every 100 or so pics, expect only a few might be any good. Try to keep the sun behind you when you take the shots, also use macro mode on the camera ( flower icon). A tripod is good if you have one, but you need to keep the camera as still as possible otherwise. Practise seems to be the key and experimenting.

Lorelei knows. I had to take 100 too to get about 6 good ones. The sun really helps and so does a steady hand. Best wishes
12.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Another quick tip I found, if you have a point and shoot, and want better detail, use a magnifying glass over your camera lens, OR a loupe.

Because loupes have small surface areas of magnification, I use the digital zoom to zoom in, and the ring will not be visible anymore. Perfect in a pinch or if you don''t have a camera with zoom lenses.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely the macro mode, no flash, and I''ve been known to tape a loupe to the camera.
2.gif
1.gif

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately today was cloudy so I couldn''t give the sun a try... next sunny day I will try again. Thanks for letting me know that you have to take tons of pics to get some good ones, I took about 20 and I only saw one that was decent, at least I know I am not doing something wrong.

richipat

Rough_Rock
I am so glad someone asked this question.I was beginning to fell totally incompetent. I have a tripod and will definately use it. And turn off the flash.
Thanks!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:21:06 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 4/18/2007 4:11:19 PM
Author: Lorelei

Lorelei knows. I had to take 100 too to get about 6 good ones. The sun really helps and so does a steady hand. Best wishes
12.gif
are you guys serious??????? 6 out of 100???? I''d say at *least* 70% of mine are good enough to post and I''m being ridiculously understated. Most of the ones I don''t post are just because they''re redundant.... not bad. So am I just so super talented or is my piece of poop camera really just the bees knees or does my diamond just love to show off?? LOL

I use macro, have been experimenting just *recently* before I sent my stone off with light something or other.... putting it up to 200 or 400 in bright light and down to like 5 in low light.... anything below 5 and it is blurry because the shutter is open too long for me to be still and I don''t know what it is called - iso maybe? so its like auto focus and manual light... and what I do is I focus on the stone and then when I see some color I just click and voila! more fire pictures than I could dream of posting! I would bet the chunkier facets just have more wiggle room than slender facets.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 1:38:23 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
are you guys serious??????? 6 out of 100???? I''d say at *least* 70% of mine are good enough to post and I''m being ridiculously understated. Most of the ones I don''t post are just because they''re redundant.... not bad. So am I just so super talented or is my piece of poop camera really just the bees knees or does my diamond just love to show off?? LOL

***Threadjack***

Hey Cehra (ahem, Sara) and everyone-- I got a new digital camera-- good news re: being able to take good pictures.

And good luck with taking your pictures, candlelite-- I thought it was hard with my old camera...

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
This thread has been very helpful. Once I get my ring back tomorrow-if Ritani keeps their promise this time... it''s a long story but I have been waiting for over 6 weeks for what was promised to be done within 3-4 weeks
29.gif
- I am going to try taking photos using the tips given by several PSers here.
36.gif
I am also glad to hear (according to Boston Jeff
2.gif
) that new cameras make the job easier. I just bought a new camera over the weekend and I cannot wait to put it to the test!
31.gif

ShaadiGirl16

Rough_Rock
I''ve been having the exact same problem taking pictures... glad to know i''m not the only one. Thanks for the advice!
35.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
This one was taken using the super macro function. I adjusted the settings for the proper light source (in this case, flourescent), set it to aperture preferred, adjusted the exposure to get the right brightness. I used a tripod. I got lucky with this one. Usually they come out better if I manually focus, but that''s hard to do when you''re actually holding the ring.

This is about the umpteenth shot I''ve taken of this ring. I think the key is to just keep doing it until you capture the right shot.

lumpprof.jpg

la petite amie

Rough_Rock
I'm so glad you asked this! I've been able to take pictures of the ring, but no good ones that really show the stone itself. My ring is at the store right now getting re-sized (apparently because the novos are new, the sizing machine isn't perfect yet so it was just a tiny bit off), but I will try the techniques from this thread as soon as I get it back. Can't wait to report back!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 9:28:31 PM
Author: lumpkin
This one was taken using the super macro function. I adjusted the settings for the proper light source (in this case, flourescent), set it to aperture preferred, adjusted the exposure to get the right brightness. I used a tripod. I got lucky with this one. Usually they come out better if I manually focus, but that''s hard to do when you''re actually holding the ring.

This is about the umpteenth shot I''ve taken of this ring. I think the key is to just keep doing it until you capture the right shot.
what is the full sized shot of just the diamond? Because while the diamond does look pretty, the ring in the image is small for "super macro". My macro shots the diamond are big. This isn''t the full picture... this is just me using the tool to select the area around the stone, cropping the rest of the image away and being left with a pic that can fit on PS

fullsizeforcb.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is the same pic as above but uncropped - the entire pic but shrunk to 700mpx across and 22 compression.

fullsizewholepiccb.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
with my old camera it was like 5 good ones for every 100, but with the canon i have now it''s more like 50 for every 100 but most of them are redundant or one is slightly better or more crisp or colorful than the previous one or similar.

everyone has given great tips, use macro, no flash, use natural diffused lighting and get creative with backdrops!!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/24/2007 1:43:38 AM
Author: boston_jeff

Date: 4/24/2007 1:38:23 AM

***Threadjack***

Hey Cehra (ahem, Sara) and everyone-- I got a new digital camera-- good news re: being able to take good pictures.

And good luck with taking your pictures, candlelite-- I thought it was hard with my old camera...
I just wanted to say that boston jeff is so right about the camera! With my new digital camera, I am taking pictures that I never thought were possible!!! With my old cameral, I got maybe 1 or 2 acceptable photos in every 20, but with the new one, I am taking 18-19 great photos out of 20! Check out my thread to see the results: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-is-finally-here.61305/

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are 12 pictures I took in a row under the same tree on the same day (I was moving around under it and as you see, some the camera was closer...) but I''ve posted them in the order I took them and there were no other pictures I took... I''ve only posted 2 of these before (#5 because of the clear shots of my facets and #8 is my avatar pic) I took these last september. The two I initially posted were the best, but I think even the ugliest ones at the end are actually pretty shots. The few are especially redunant though... I think chunkier facets might be easier to photograph, there''s more room for error on the fire shots especially because the swath of fire is so large. I told my husband many months ago that I wanted a new camera because I hate my camera but you guys are making me rethink it LOL

collagesept2206.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 11:49:46 AM

Date: 4/24/2007 9:28:31 PM

what is the full sized shot of just the diamond? Because while the diamond does look pretty, the ring in the image is small for ''super macro''. My macro shots the diamond are big. This isn''t the full picture... this is just me using the tool to select the area around the stone, cropping the rest of the image away and being left with a pic that can fit on PS
Cehra, I''m not sure I understand the question entirely, but here is the answer. I always shoot in the super fine mode because it reduces noise. Because of that, the files are enormous. So then I have to reduce the size of the file and lose a little quality to get a file that will post on the forum. The actualy image size when I take the shot is like 22 inches by something else and just really large. I''m not sure if that''s what you were asking? I do have some very, very close pictures of my diamond, but they were cropped to where only the diamond is in the image, and then if I post it here, there will be far more detail. (See the Show Us Your Inclusions post. Those are really close up although they were closer to the lens than the above picture -- maybe that''s what you mean?) I''m a real novice with Photoshop, so that may also be part of your answer.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Cehra, here is just the diamond -- same picture. I think it's a Photoshop operator error. I think maybe I'm getting confused about sizing the image and then saving as and quality of the image. Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for.

ETA: ALWAYS, ALWAYS clean your diamond before taking pictures.
emembarrassed.gif
Those are not clouds in the picture, it's dirt.
38.gif

lumpclose.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Cehra, now you have me on a roll! It was operator error. I have more superfine, superclose crops than anyone could possibly want to see.
9.gif

lumpclose2.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, one more. Bear with me, because Cehra nudged me into answering a question I was kind of asking myself without really understanding what I couldn''t figure out. Now that I have, I''m like a kid in a toystore. Thanks, Cehra!

lumpclose3.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 4:53:52 PM

emembarrassed.gif
Those are not clouds in the picture, it''s dirt.
38.gif
That is a cardinal rule, and you broke it. I say we take your posting privelages away for a week.
11.gif
9.gif
2.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 5:53:11 PM
Author: Ellen

emembarrassed.gif
Those are not clouds in the picture, it's dirt.
38.gif
That is a cardinal rule, and you broke it. I say we take your posting privelages away for a week.
11.gif
9.gif
2.gif
No, NO, NOOOOO, anything but that!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welllll, ok, just don''t let it happen again.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, here is just the diamond -- same picture. I think it''s a Photoshop operator error. I think maybe I''m getting confused about sizing the image and then saving as and quality of the image. Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for.

emembarrassed.gif
38.gif
now THAT''S what I''m talkin'' about!!!! And now that you''ve figured this out I expect more!! and if you have any of your old ring you can crop close like this so I can see the single cut melee I''ll be forever grateful!!!!! :D :D :D

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

emembarrassed.gif
38.gif
11.gif
9.gif
2.gif
NO! NO!!!! Make her post DOUBLE the photos to compensate!!!!!
11.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:51:46 AM

emembarrassed.gif
38.gif
11.gif
9.gif
2.gif
11.gif

Haha! Well, today has been an exceptionally busy day, but since I still have the ring itself I will get some good photos of the melee. Cehra, I''m dying to see your new ring, and I admit to becoming a bit impatient! Geeze, Louise, how long does it take???? Oh, well. You can see I''m not patient enough to go the custom route. Anyway, I will get some good photos of the melee, and now that I''m getting my camera and the PS figured out, I''ll probably even be able to capture all the nasty darkening under it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 4:13:50 PM

Date: 4/27/2007 11:51:46 AM

emembarrassed.gif
38.gif
11.gif
9.gif
2.gif
11.gif

Haha! Well, today has been an exceptionally busy day, but since I still have the ring itself I will get some good photos of the melee. Cehra, I''m dying to see your new ring, and I admit to becoming a bit impatient! Geeze, Louise, how long does it take???? Oh, well. You can see I''m not patient enough to go the custom route. Anyway, I will get some good photos of the melee, and now that I''m getting my camera and the PS figured out, I''ll probably even be able to capture all the nasty darkening under it.
cool! love to see it, even the problem areas! and yeah, believe me I KNOW you''ve gotten two rings in the time I haven''t gotten ONE lol!!! It''s gonna be a while though... I would try to be patient until July, then in july you can start foot tapping :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results