carat
color
clarity

Super ideal cut appearing yellow in some lighting

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks lovely :))

I'm sorry you had the hassles with the setting - I am sure that @Texas Leaguer will have used the situation as a learning opportunity with his team, in order that the same situation can avoid being repeated in the future.

I am pleased you have a ring you are happy with now - all diamonds have 'character' and can look better or worse depending on the lighting and surrounding environment, even 'SuperIdeals', so as above, keep it clean and develop a bond with your ring as you learn how it behaves from day-to-day :) It is fun finding the environments where maximum sparkle can be found! :D

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My job was to write code, code that was to the best of my ability to be concise, as easy as possible for another programmer to understand my code, now MY code someone could say was too long, but I could say yes but mine does more, or I could say another's code was not intuitive and easy to understand and there is too much verbage, my point is, not everyone agrees, even those who are in the biz, it's swell you are in the biz of of detecting nuances my job to the best of my ability was to ensure there were NO nuances for people who come after me to service my programs, or service my user exit, so I understand trying to be concise, short and the without error. It not only paid my mortgage it paid my fun, my cars, my kids college's. NOW if someone not well versed in say C++ tries to discern MY code they won't be able to in the same manner as I can or other C++ coders or Java programmers etc etc.. we all have our ability. Which leads me to - it's great you can discern BODY COLOR, I think can too, because I dealt with being concise my whole career. I have a beautiful, white diamond when turned upside down shows some yellow, but since I didn't have it set upsde down it shows no color.. It is obviously NOT white as it's not rated colorless, but unless I take it out of its setting and set it upside down I don't see any yellow. To some who CAN see tint/color that I don't, I don't know, some people also are anally retentive and unless it's is rated as COLORLESS then it has tint.. I don't know HOW to calibrate my computer but I have done it in the past when needed back in the day. But I am using my eyes, not the computer. I don't think any was saying one must have a D-F stone, I am saying that most people don't see color in G-I unless the turn their stone upside down. In my opinion EVERYONE photoshops especially jewelry, all one has to do is look at Insta and see that. As to looking lots of diamonds, I don't disagree, that's why I have, for years and years and years.

@Tekate With all due respect, the average person doesn't have the training or the visual hardware to be able to see, and understand what they see, when it comes to the nuances of the visual world around them.

I do. Detecting these nuances is my job and my training for the last 25 years. My ability to see and understand the visual world pays my mortgage.

REFLECTED light and color are NOT what I'm talking about. I'm speaking about BODY COLOR.

I'm sure you have a beautiful diamond, that is not in question.

However, there is tint in your diamond. I know that I would see it, probably from many yards away. To my color trained eye, an I colored diamond is very tinted. I also know many other people who would also see the the tint.

I'm happy it looks white to you and you are pleased with it. That however, does not mean that it is objectively white.

Let me say one more time (though I know it will go over most people's heads) that JUDGING COLOR FROM A PHOTOGRAPH, ANY photograph (ALL photographs) is COMPLETELY USELESS. For more reasons than I have time to go into here, ANY object can appear ANY color in a photograph. For starters, how many of you know how to use a white balance card when calibrating your camera and that you need to use one before EVERY shot to even get close to an accurately-colored photograph? Do you know how to calibrate your computer monitor? And is it calibrated? Those are just two of literally hundreds of ways photos have ZERO bearing on what the actual color is on an object.

And I know for a fact that the companies we love routinely Photoshop their images to make them look better.

Look, all I'm advocating for is 1) buyers to do their homework and SEE diamonds in person, as many as possible, to understand their own color sensitivity and preferences before buying and 2) people stop saying that H, I, J etc diamonds are objectively white because they are not. They simple are not. They may look white to someone who is not particularly color sensitive, but to someone who is or someone who is trained in visual nuance, they are not. NO ONE IS SAYING H,I,J isn't beautiful or well cut. No one is saying that everyone should get a D/E/F. I am saying that everyone should look at diamonds, lots of them, in person, before buying. That's the only way to "know thyself."

[Note: this post is NOT about the OP's choice between an F and a G diamond. I agree, the average person probably won't see much difference between F and G and will be happy with either. This post is addressing the people who advocate for newbies to buy an H/I/J/K- color because they can't see a tint in their own H/I/H and erroneously assume there isn't one.]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results