shape
carat
color
clarity

Super ideal cut appearing yellow in some lighting

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I don’t even think this is about being color sensitive because I think the diamond would read yellow to anyone in that picture. I have an I colored diamond and very creamy colored kitchen walls and my diamond has never looked yellow like that from the top. I would be really bothered if mine looked like that, too.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
40307239-03D8-4D74-A4E4-BBF6B41125B3.jpeg DADABF24-1656-488C-A9E4-58FD13DF5196.jpeg B5C588E0-3A2F-45CA-A836-37B83BF86892.jpeg 840D7AAE-57CF-4132-8BB8-66BC04B1D09F.jpeg
I don’t even think this is about being color sensitive because I think the diamond would read yellow to anyone in that picture. I have an I colored diamond and very creamy colored kitchen walls and my diamond has never looked yellow like that from the top. I would be really bothered if mine looked like that, too.

Interesting. I’ve also not seen any posts saying they were unhappy with their I colour diamond due to yellowness. Warm tint sure, but I’m not getting that problem. It’s really white then goes really yellow.

Although I did just notice I have a beige/wood coloured door next to where I’ve been seeing the yellow the most.

Here are some more pictures....

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course this could be my imagination but to me your fingers have a yellow hue also.

I have a 2.95 I color SI ACA, I sometimes see color when I'm in beige rooms, but my house is greige or beige. So I think it does pick up some yellow from the walls, I never knew that stones that were higher in color would not pick up colors around them but that is good to know.. I love my ring, wouldn't change a thing unless of course I could get a 4 carat DEF VS 2 stone ACA ;-) Love your ring btw it's lovely.

glamour shot

ring3.jpg

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
63CE9822-2F9C-4C65-80E8-F264B0BE648F.jpeg
I have an ACA G. My G is totally white in all of the environments you see yours as white. It’s also white from the side. I seldom see any tint except when it’s dirty. However sometimes my ring appears light yellow from the top view. I’ve deleted most of those pictures but I have one when I first got my ring in our kitchen with very off white (light) painting and it was picking up yellow. I Don’t know if you can see it but it was almost a light butter yellow. Again only in certain indie lighting. Everywhere else it’s
White.
It doesn’t look yellow to me at all... but I guess not “icy white”. I’d be happy with that though.

daydreamer24

Rough_Rock
Of course this could be my imagination but to me your fingers have a yellow hue also.

I have a 2.95 I color SI ACA, I sometimes see color when I'm in beige rooms, but my house is greige or beige. So I think it does pick up some yellow from the walls, I never knew that stones that were higher in color would not pick up colors around them but that is good to know.. I love my ring, wouldn't change a thing unless of course I could get a 4 carat DEF VS 2 stone ACA ;-) Love your ring btw it's lovely.

glamour shot

ring3.jpg
Wow your ring is beautiful! Does not look yellow to me at all.

Haha... I am Asian, so my skin tone may have a certain hue to it? Hopefully it’s not my body colour that my diamond is reflecting off of.....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
First picture shows the strong yellow colour.

33060DEB-4074-433B-8A1B-A3A2493E6331.jpeg 78CD8B60-9202-41CC-A115-A5CC561BBF0B.jpeg 7B8B832D-D066-4C3E-A9F3-24C7293CD6CD.jpeg

I also recommend checking to see if you are yellow-toned or olive-toned in your skin complexion. One thing I noticed was that my stone (H) looked less yellow on my sister (who is cool-toned) compared to me (very olive to yellow-toned). Put the ring on a friend who is cool-toned under the same lighting, and check if you see the same thing.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is where I know I “get into it” here about the I color stones when it’s suggested that the super ideals will still “face up white”. I just think going to an I even in a super isn’t going to do the trick... the superb cutting can only do so much. I just think it’s a push. I wouldn’t go below H (and even better G with regard to AGS color grading which I think is a bit different than that of GIA’s). If someone is totally cool with some warmth and you are going super, then I say go for it and get a fantastic J and enjoy the light show.
But it sounds like you are color sensitive (as am I... my heartfelt sympathy as it’s an expensive curse, beyond that of the diamond obsession!), so you aren’t going to be happy if you see this much tint.

My first ER is a D with SBF. The appraiser told me it’s whiter than his double GIA/AGS D stone lol. So I guess it’s all DH’s fault anyway :naughty:

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I also recommend checking to see if you are yellow-toned or olive-toned in your skin complexion. One thing I noticed was that my stone (H) looked less yellow on my sister (who is cool-toned) compared to me (very olive to yellow-toned). Put the ring on a friend who is cool-toned under the same lighting, and check if you see the same thing.

That’s interesting and something I had never thought of. My skin is very cool toned, so maybe it does make a difference.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think it perhaps is due to the walls/lighting - cream walls and/or warm lighting, but my concern is if higher colours do not reflect those warm/yellow colours then I would be inclined to get a higher colour. As Like you say it’s hard to control the lighting in all environments that I am in. Also, I just painted my walls so don’t want to repaint to be able to enjoy my diamond at home :(

Well CLEARLY your priorities are out of whack! o_O

:lol: (kidding)

It’s a delicate balancing act of priorities buying/enjoying our sparklies; definitely do whatever makes sense and enables you to enjoy your beautiful ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry about the inclusions. Those pics are very magnified, and WF says it's eye clean.

Agree...ask WF for a photo at normal viewing distance (like 10 inches).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and I love my I colored stone and I can't say it does't look yellow sometimes but then again Daydreamer24 I am very old and it may affect my brain :) your ring again is gorgeous, I think we both have the same setting... congratulations!!!

Wow your ring is beautiful! Does not look yellow to me at all.

Haha... I am Asian, so my skin tone may have a certain hue to it? Hopefully it’s not my body colour that my diamond is reflecting off of.....

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello there @daydreamer24 :wavey:
I'm sorry that you are experiencing this problem with your new diamond.
I read all the opinions that other, very experienced and knowledgeable, PSers have given. What I wanted to say is that I have a 1.14 ct, GIA certified, J, SI2, triple ex, diamond and no matter the environment or the lighting under which I am observing it, it has never looked as yellow as your diamond does in this first photo that you posted. Again, I repeat, my stone is a GIA J, which most probably equals an AGS I, so we are comparing very similar things. We even have yellow walls in our balcony and my diamond doesn't look that yellow out at the balcony either. Really, all this doesn't make any sense to me :confused:
In any case, I believe that you need to get this right and fully enjoy your diamond in any environment, so if you are still within the return period, you should just get another diamond in higher colour and be happy with it all the time!
I wish you good luck on your journey...

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
63CE9822-2F9C-4C65-80E8-F264B0BE648F.jpeg
I have an ACA G. My G is totally white in all of the environments you see yours as white. It’s also white from the side. I seldom see any tint except when it’s dirty. However sometimes my ring appears light yellow from the top view. I’ve deleted most of those pictures but I have one when I first got my ring in our kitchen with very off white (light) painting and it was picking up yellow. I Don’t know if you can see it but it was almost a light butter yellow. Again only in certain indie lighting. Everywhere else it’s
White.

Your AGS G is an example of a high G, that’s lucky. Or your G might have a a pure yellow tint, rather than a green or grey or brown undertone. In any case, the light tint of your G makes it beautifully white in almost all settings; it’s gorgeous. Yours is proof that you -can- find a high AGS G. However, I was once surprised by a GIA G that looked like an I: it was so yellow I returned it. I hope OP can find a high H ACA, with Whiteflash’s help.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that if you get a different diamond your going to see the same thing.
The color in the photo looks FLY or more and there is no way an I is going to do that internally so it has to be external.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Daydreamer24, the H you chose does look a little messy under magnification. If you have good eyes, you might see the long threadlike inclusions. I have bad eyesight and I notice the scattered tiny inclusions in my E SI2 superideal when I look carefully in bright light. It is “eye clean” at 10 inches per superideal standards. The explosive light play of a superideal will likely totally outshine internal, very fine inclusions. Only you can determine if this is acceptable to you. I would try to look at more than one H side by side.

Also, I just wanted to say that your current I ACA is amazing. I love the faceting pattern, what a bright personality! I hope you can find what you are looking for because you chose a beautiful cut the first time.

Last, can you share what setting you chose? That tapered setting is really nice, is it a WF setting?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I suspect the changes are due to light intensity - lower light, less brighteness feels warm & much like colour.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone considered the Kevin degrees temperature of their light source? This can impact the color seen in any object.
Ever wonder why the tomatoes look so red in the store but so crappy at home?

Screenshot_20190829-131332_Chrome.jpg

I forgot what diamond color grading K degrees was, but was traditionally by a north facing window.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
This, from the thread referenced above :

Kaycee2018 said:
"I hate to say this out loud on this forum, but based on what I’ve seen with my own eyes and been told by basically every jeweler I’ve encountered (and not “mall jewelers”, but reputable local jewelers and gemologist, some of which sell both GIA and AGS diamonds and several who admittedly actually prefer AGS graded stones for cut grading), AGS is softer on color grading vs. GIA (though some have said the AGS has gotten “better” in that regard). Based on my experience, if I were ever to go with an AGS diamond I wouldn’t go below an F for that reason, whereas with GIA I’d go down to probably an H or I. *waiting for the stoning to begin* Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen beautiful pics of AGS diamonds in “lower” colors that look fantastic, but IRL in my experience and based on my discussions with jewelers and gemologists, AGS tends to be softer on color than GIA."

Always trust your eyes, not the paper.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought even years ago the general consensus was AGS was stricter on clarity but softer on color.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
It had a very warm tint for a G, and July wasn't happy with it and purchased a different diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It had a very warm tint for a G, and July wasn't happy with it and purchased a different diamond.
If you read the entire thread you'll see that the color became a non-issue very quickly.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I DID read the entire thread.
The main point is that AGS does tend to grade color a little more loosely, as was the case not only in this thread, but in many others.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone in my avatar picture is I color. I really wanted higher than I color, but there just never was one in this cut available in the size I wanted in a higher color. This stone is cut for light return and it is very white most of the time. It is AGS graded but I believe it to be a true I color. All color grades are a range from high to low, anyway, and it's the borderline stones that may be the ones that grade lower by GIA. My diamond looks great in a lot of lighting environments. It looks the absolute worst in my car that apparently has smokey brown tint to the windows! I can handle the I color because this is an antique cut, but I prefer G color for ideal cut rounds in a ring. I do have ACA's for my studs in H color, and I love them and never see tint on my ears! But I think you need to go ahead and upgrade to G or possibly H color. The H stone in that comparison picture definitely looks whiter. But I think you may be color sensitive and really need the G.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results