shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugarloaves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 8:46:31 AM
Author: Gailey
Wow! very nice Megeve, so when will they arrive?
5 to 7 days!!!
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 3:33:49 PM
Author: megeve

5 to 7 days!!!
3.gif

I like the wait from swala... gives me something to look forward to
3.gif
3.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 8:05:59 PM
Author: icekid

5 to 7 days!!!
3.gif

3.gif
3.gif
Hehe Icekid!!
1.gif
But I sucks at photography, esp. gemstones & diamonds! They just won''t focus!
8.gif

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Please try tho! Can''t wait to hear what they are like IRL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve,
You MUST try. Please? I’ve been itching for some cabochons or sugarloaves from Swala too so I’m anxious to see these. You’ve got 1 week to practice on some other gemstones before these arrive.
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photos are very hard. I took many many photos in different lighting before I got 3 or 4 really good photos to post on PS. Go charge those camera batteries and then practice practice practice and then rechage your batteries. Yes your husband and neighbors will be laughing at you but you''re doing it for PS!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it's your PS duty to give us good photos.
9.gif
If they won't focus, try backing away until they do, then crop the picture down to just show the stones. I'm really looking forward to seeing these. I
30.gif
cabs and sugarloaves!

So excited about your project. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 10:56:16 PM

Date: 7/15/2009 8:05:59 PM

5 to 7 days!!!
3.gif

3.gif
3.gif
Hehe Icekid!!
1.gif
But I sucks at photography, esp. gemstones & diamonds! They just won''t focus!
8.gif
Yep, I have that problem too! I''m going to get a new camera, just don''t have the time to do the research at the moment.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:22:07 AM
Author: Chrono
Megeve,

You MUST try. Please? I’ve been itching for some cabochons or sugarloaves from Swala too so I’m anxious to see these. You’ve got 1 week to practice on some other gemstones before these arrive.
11.gif

If Chrono can take wonderful photos (and she can!!), then you can too megeve!!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 8:18:17 PM

Date: 7/16/2009 8:22:07 AM
Megeve,

11.gif

If Chrono can take wonderful photos (and she can!!), then you can too megeve!!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Chrono, care to give some pointers about gem photography?
28.gif
I have only a point and shoot camera!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a point and shoot as well.

1. I’m pretty sure you have macro, right? The one that looks like a tulip of flower? You have to use that to get close up pictures.
2. Also, turn off the flash otherwise the gem colour will end up de-saturated.
3. Natural lighting is best. Take pictures in the early morning or late evening.
4. If you have to do it when the sun is still strong, shade your hand over the stone. If not, all you’ll get are shadows.
5. If you have shaky hands syndrome like me, I rest my elbows on a solid surface like a table so my pictures won’t be blurry. The proper way is to use a tripod.
6. If you also have old wrinkly hands like me, I don’t take pictures of the gems on my hand, just on a flat surface.
9.gif

Most importantly, DO NOT drop the gem outside. You might damage it or lose it forever.

But really, Mochi has the best advice. She’s really great with photography. Lauren too. Heck, most PSers know how to take great pictures.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 8:42:35 AM

I have a point and shoot as well.

1. I’m pretty sure you have macro, right? The one that looks like a tulip of flower? You have to use that to get close up pictures.
2. Also, turn off the flash otherwise the gem colour will end up de-saturated.
3. Natural lighting is best. Take pictures in the early morning or late evening.
4. If you have to do it when the sun is still strong, shade your hand over the stone. If not, all you’ll get are shadows.
5. If you have shaky hands syndrome like me, I rest my elbows on a solid surface like a table so my pictures won’t be blurry. The proper way is to use a tripod.
6. If you also have old wrinkly hands like me, I don’t take pictures of the gems on my hand, just on a flat surface.
9.gif

Most importantly, DO NOT drop the gem outside. You might damage it or lose it forever.

But really, Mochi has the best advice. She’s really great with photography. Lauren too. Heck, most PSers know how to take great pictures.
Wow, thanks for your pointers!

I have been practising whole day today, but I got only lousy shots! All turn out either blurry or dark! Aaarrg
14.gif

I got a feeling the lightning in my appartment is not good for gems/diamonds. Hehe, I will remember your tip about my wrinkly hands!
28.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to mention:

Its incredible and I just can''t believe it! Eric is so fast and reliable! The stones arrived this morning here in Switzerland and are awaiting for custom clearance!
3.gif
Unfortunately, I am going away tomorrow morning for 5 days. So, can''t receive the package till I return. Arrrgh
23.gif

So gals, please be patient!!! I will try my best to take lots of pictures even blurry and dark ones.
11.gif
2.gif
I got a feeling its something to do with the lighting. Unless someone else can give me pointers about lighting. Do you shine the table top lamps in front/sides or at the back of the gems?
scratchhead.gif
I just can''t get the hang of it!
yucky.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 2:49:02 PM

I have been practising whole day today, but I got only lousy shots! All turn out either blurry or dark! Aaarrg
14.gif

I got a feeling the lightning in my appartment is not good for gems/diamonds. Hehe, I will remember your tip about my wrinkly hands!
28.gif
If you want to take indoor pictures, additional lighting at an angle is needed. The type of lighting will also affect the colour of the gem in pictures. The easiest is to take a picture close to a window for natural light or to actually go outside to a deck. If your camera is really good, it magnifies every line in your hands no matter the age. It’s just that as one gets older, it looks worse. Not to mention that I discovered finger hair when I looked at my photographs!!!
23.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 3:14:39 PM
Forgot to mention:

Its incredible and I just can''t believe it! Eric is so fast and reliable! The stones arrived this morning here in Switzerland and are awaiting for custom clearance!
3.gif
Unfortunately, I am going away tomorrow morning for 5 days. So, can''t receive the package till I return. Arrrgh
23.gif

So gals, please be patient!!! I will try my best to take lots of pictures even blurry and dark ones.
11.gif
2.gif
I got a feeling its something to do with the lighting. Unless someone else can give me pointers about lighting. Do you shine the table top lamps in front/sides or at the back of the gems?
scratchhead.gif
I just can''t get the hang of it!
yucky.gif

Oh no! 5 more days until you can open the package.
ETA
For lighting, see if shining a light source at a 45 degree angle to the gemstone face helps.
For blurry pictures, rest your arms/elbows on a stable surface to minimize the vibration. If you have a tripod, it works better. Or else, you can also balance your camera on a stack of books.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Grrr...hate waiting for pretties!
emcry.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 3:49:05 PM

14.gif

28.gif
If you want to take indoor pictures, additional lighting at an angle is needed. The type of lighting will also affect the colour of the gem in pictures. The easiest is to take a picture close to a window for natural light or to actually go outside to a deck. If your camera is really good, it magnifies every line in your hands no matter the age. It’s just that as one gets older, it looks worse. Not to mention that I discovered finger hair when I looked at my photographs!!!
23.gif
Oh, my hands don''t really look like that, I just have a great camera! My hands were so so wrinkled in my last gem photos, but the gem photos came out well. So let''s make it a PS pact that wrinkled hands are to be ignored because they are caused by good camera quality! REALLY

Megeve -- Have a great vacation!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 1:50:10 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

14.gif

28.gif
23.gif
Oh, my hands don''t really look like that, I just have a great camera! My hands were so so wrinkled in my last gem photos, but the gem photos came out well. So let''s make it a PS pact that wrinkled hands are to be ignored because they are caused by good camera quality! REALLY

I most definitely second the addition of ignoring finger hair along with wrinkles. It''s generally not that noticeable to my eyes but you can''t tell that by my photos, and my camera isn''t so good, but wrinkles and hair show up amazingly well.
40.gif

Can''t wait to see your new stones Megeve!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/20/2009 2:18:08 PM
Author: brandy_z28

Date: 7/20/2009 1:50:10 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

14.gif

28.gif
23.gif

I most definitely second the addition of ignoring finger hair along with wrinkles. It''s generally not that noticeable to my eyes but you can''t tell that by my photos, and my camera isn''t so good, but wrinkles and hair show up amazingly well.
40.gif

Can''t wait to see your new stones Megeve!
Not to mention that waxing fingers hurts!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,
I found this shot of your hand in an old post. It''s not that bad!

9.gif
emotion-5.gif

Chronoshand.jpg

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
LMAO!!!

tourmaline_lover, you are EVIL
emotion-14.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2009 9:40:05 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Chrono,

9.gif
emotion-5.gif
Well it''s clear that she has a VERY VERY high quality camera!!!
31.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me just say that I was very sorry I was reading this thread while eating breakfast
6.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 7:43:23 AM
Author: Babyblue033
Let me just say that I was very sorry I was reading this thread while eating breakfast
6.gif
Thank goodness I didn''t have food in my mouth when I saw that picture. I was about to take a bite of my dinner!
23.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,

9.gif
emotion-5.gif
Urgh....it needs major work, doesn''t it? I need a manicure and hand wax. Having green skin also makes it hard to select gemstones that would look nice for me to wear.
25.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My that hand is frightening!!
6.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:25:20 PM

Chrono,

9.gif
emotion-5.gif
Urgh....it needs major work, doesn''t it? I need a manicure and hand wax. Having green skin also makes it hard to select gemstones that would look nice for me to wear.
25.gif
Hey Chrono, I didn''t know you were a gardener too
emwink.gif

I think you''ll get away with prehnite, or eye of toad!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Chrono,

9.gif
emotion-5.gif
I gotta wonder TL, what sort of web sites & forums do you hang out on other than PS?

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates on the sugarloaves????

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 12:21:10 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
Any updates on the sugarloaves????
Sorry to all those who are waiting for the pics!!
35.gif
I was so caught up with my busy schedule that I am only able to post now. So are you ready for the onslaught of pics now???
9.gif

Here is the 1st pic of Tsav...

sugarl-tsav 004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results