shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugarloaves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, orange.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just slightly off topic but has anybody got a sugarloaf set please and can post piccies? Harriet is your wonderful spinel set?

I''d love to see how they''re set.

Also, can anybody recommend a good seller for them?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Yummy gumdrops
18.gif
Can''t wait to hear what you decide, megeve.

PS- I think the inclusions in cabs are cool too!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Just heard from vendor that most probably the fractures in spinel stop right underneath the surface as he cannot feel any scratches on the stone. Does anyone know whether such fracture will pose any structural problem?

Another view of spinel....

PSP123.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 10:50:52 AM
Author: QueenB29
These are really interesting. I''ve never seen a sugarloaf before. Does the point face up?
Yep!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert so I can't tell you if these are good quality, but thanks for posting because I am also interested in learning about evaluating sugar loaves. I kinda want a 5 stone of little loaves - would kind look like spikes! lol.

I'm not a Tsav fan, but I suddenly like this stone as a loaf! Very yummy! But the colour of the Spinel, wow, I want to put that baby in white gold with a halo of black diamonds and ROCK OUT! I think if they are of similar quality, if you are looking for a more refined look I would go with the Tsav as the colour is more regal to me, but the Spinel says, "...ssSSuperstar!!"...Just my 2 cents.
26.gif

Found some pics on Google. How are you thinking of setting the stones?

green sugarloaf in white diamond halo

Antique Amethyst Sugarloaf Brooch wtih pave old mine cut diamonds

BVLGARI sugarloaf in WG

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 3:47:14 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
Whoops, let''s try those links again, sorry about that...kinda new at the linky thing. Hope this works better:

Oh wait, one more, a ruby sugar loaf:
I have that same photo saved on my computer!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo! Wowza!

Megeve, you have to let us know how you will set this before we have the ring all designed for you! Also, why don't you try posting at www.gemologyonline.com, they might be able to give you more advice?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well since we're all drooling at sugarloafs, what about Elizbeth Taylors Bulgari sugarloaf set? I wish I could find a better pic on the net of it, but detailed pictures are in her book, "Love Affair with Jewelry."

TAYLOR’S sautoir in platinum with sapphire and diamonds (1969); platinum ring with cabochon sapphire and diamonds (1971)

pic-06210909100222.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG W
30.gif
W Sugarloaf lurve fest!

I adore the Leon ring.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 2:51:25 PM
Author: megeve
Just heard from vendor that most probably the fractures in spinel stop right underneath the surface as he cannot feel any scratches on the stone. Does anyone know whether such fracture will pose any structural problem?

Another view of spinel....
have you seen both in person?I have a completely different stone, but a sapphire with an internal fracture and I don''t know how long its been there, but it has reached the surface like a little nick-, so I''m afraid of even doing anything with it by resetting it. But I would choose the tsavorite over the spinel just because I don''t want any fractures in a stone. but thats'' just me personally.

OOOHH the LEON setting!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 4:02:46 PM
Author: blingergrrrl
CharmyPoo! Wowza!

Megeve, you have to let us know how you will set this before we have the ring all designed for you! Also, why don't you try posting at www.gemologyonline.com, they might be able to give you more advice?
WOW!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
3.gif
18.gif
30.gif
Just love all the designs you posted!! LOL, I am not there yet, first I have to get the sugarloaves!
31.gif
28.gif
. Thanks for reminding, its done!

Keep the designs comming all!! I will need lots of ideas when I have the stone/s!!
9.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif

Date: 7/12/2009 4:30:33 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
OMG W
30.gif
W Sugarloaf lurve fest!

I adore the Leon ring.
Ditto!!!

That is one gorgeous ring! 24.25ct emerald carbochon!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
3.gif
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 5:57:18 AM
Just slightly off topic but has anybody got a sugarloaf set please and can post piccies? Harriet is your wonderful spinel set?

No, because I have to set other things first.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 6:16:02 PM
Author: Harriet

No, because I have to set other things first.
Fully understand! Can''t wait to see/hear what you do with it. The colour made me go "oooooooh"!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure about the structural integrity issue, but if you want to play it safe, then go for the tsavorite. Wow, both the Leon and Burton settings are gorgeous.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 7:18:10 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m not sure about the structural integrity issue, but if you want to play it safe, then go for the tsavorite. Wow, both the Leon and Burton settings are gorgeous.

I agree w/ Chrono. The tsav is the safer bet, unless perhaps you can get the spinel to an appraiser and see what they think?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

another inquiring soul wanting to know a good vendor for these types of cabs. my online search didn''t net much.

mz

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 7:24:32 PM
Author: movie zombie

another inquiring soul wanting to know a good vendor for these types of cabs. my online search didn''t net much.

mz

They are from swala (which I only mention because both stones are listed as reserved; don''t want anyone to swipe them
2.gif
)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The price difference for these stones is huge. Not even in the same class. Do you have a budget in mind or you just want to get something you like?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 8:37:28 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
The price difference for these stones is huge. Not even in the same class. Do you have a budget in mind or you just want to get something you like?
No budget in mind! I am getting the tsav with or without the spinel. I just can''t make up my mind about the spinel because of the clarity!
8.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I looked at them on swala, I like the tsav better. But if you have the money, you can always bring the spinal in, have it appraised and see if the clarity bothers you.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Megeve,

Hope your weekend was good.

The tsav is definitely growing on me. Especially since I''ve seen our new member - Burberrygirl''s emerald sugarloaf.

The spinel doesn''t grab me, but I have heard Harriet say that Eric''s photography skills are a little, err-um challenged and that his stones are way better in real life. I guess if you''ve decided on the tsav, the spinel could hitch a ride for a looksee??

Now did I see that H said that there was an orange sugarloaf kicking about? I''m off to have a look!

I wore my Mum''s oval emerald ring out today and the matching earrings - first time in ages. I''m definitely entering a green phase!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in agreement that Eric’s pictures aren’t top notch like some of the ladies’ work here. So far, his stones seem to look much better in person than in his fudgly pictures. I passed over his tsavorite a few time before finally contacting him because it looked so bad. Now I’m glad I bought it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD.

Eric is not a bad photographer (I am). It''s just that he doesn''t monkey with his pictures.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool stones. Thank you for sharing your dilemma with us. I also really like the Tsav. But I''d love to see your photos of the spinel. And I def. want to hear what you think about the stones. I''ve never seen anyone wear that cut (sugarloaf) IRL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results