shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugar stack lookalike tanzanite ring - yay or nay

dragonpearl

Rough_Rock
20190927_104601.jpg 20190927_104606.jpg 20190927_104611.jpg 20190927_104723.jpg Hi I recently acquired a pretty sugar stack lookalike ring with a smooth cabochon tanzanite of 9.5 ct set simply in 18K gold ring.
Stone looks really pretty, like there is a hidden galaxy.
Only a small chip, marked out in the picture, marred its beauty.
It's on the side, not very visible but I can feel it with my fingers.
The vendor offered to take it back or else offer me a 30% off the list price should I decide to keep it.
It cost originally $570, so he will sell it at $410.
I like it but the question to myself is: will I mind the imperfection days later ?
Have i been charged a fair price ?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I know I would not mind meeting one of the inclusions in person on the surface; they make this stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that’s a very fair price for an 18ct gold ring.
I love the Tanzanite, I love its imperfections. That’s what makes it in my opinion.
BUT
Tanzanite is quite a brittle gemstone and I don’t think it will take kindly to receiving any knocks or bumps, so I would be wearing it as a special occasion ring only, not a daily wearer.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its the most beautiful colour
but i worry that chip may not be the last

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about colored stones. But if that’s a real Tanzanite with such a beautiful color in an 18k ring for $410 that makes you happy... I’d recommend keeping it. This is only my opinion.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos I would have assumed more than one inclusion reached the surface - it is a very pretty ring in appearance but for me I would return it as I consider the cabochon too included for ring wear - YMMV

dragonpearl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the various thoughts. I really love the colour, the inclusions didnt bother me that much as the cabochon cut seem to make them look better.
I am wondering if resetting it into a present might protect the stone better

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tanzanites are somewhat fragile when compared to sapphires, but millions of people wear them with success and it is durable enough when worn and handled with care. Every time you wear it, there is a chance of it getting nicked, dinged, abraded, chipped or broken, but it does not commonly happen to the point where consumers complain it isn't durable enough to enjoy. For the price you paid, you should concentrate on enjoyment and wearing it when you are not doing really active and rough things. Such wear will still change and abrade the surface some over time, but that is how you get to enjoy the purchase.

It might be better if set into a "pendant", which I what I believe you meant to type in your post. It would have less opportunity to be crashed into hard objects when worn around the neck. The jeweler will need to be told it is Tanzanite and to handle it carefully and not to steam it like it was a sapphire. Everything we do with gemstones has some degree of risk, but worrying over it will not change any of those risks.

dragonpearl

Rough_Rock
Tanzanites are somewhat fragile when compared to sapphires, but millions of people wear them with success and it is durable enough when worn and handled with care. Every time you wear it, there is a chance of it getting nicked, dinged, abraded, chipped or broken, but it does not commonly happen to the point where consumers complain it isn't durable enough to enjoy. For the price you paid, you should concentrate on enjoyment and wearing it when you are not doing really active and rough things. Such wear will still change and abrade the surface some over time, but that is how you get to enjoy the purchase.

It might be better if set into a "pendant", which I what I believe you meant to type in your post. It would have less opportunity to be crashed into hard objects when worn around the neck. The jeweler will need to be told it is Tanzanite and to handle it carefully and not to steam it like it was a sapphire. Everything we do with gemstones has some degree of risk, but worrying over it will not change any of those risks.

Very insight full. I agree we sometimes worry so much about potential problems or existing small issues with our jewellery and forget to enjoy them for what they are.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tanzanites are just that way. I love them, very special color and very brilliant stone. I own a larger one in a diamond halo ring too and will be keeping it. Yes it has small nicks too, several and no one sees them with the naked eye. I personally find this ring and stone very pretty and a good price. Enjoy!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and a great price

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely! I have a soft spot for cabs :love: I would wear it with care but wear it nonetheless!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is good. If you're not a careful ring wearer, I'd give it a pass.

Also, don't loupe it, you'd lose your mind...lol (take it from someone that knows)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results