shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
AND?!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! Where?????????????????????? C''mon enabler - let''s see photos!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preciousssss.....must protect it from that nasty rain....
9.gif

It''s been raining all day long. No sun. And you know I''m bad at photography. Nevertheless, I will attempt to photgraph it but not promise any results.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get on it already! Are ya happy with it?
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any photography tips so I won''t be bald tomorrow morning?
No flash - check!
What else? There won''t be any sun because it''ll be nighttime.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Point ........... aim ............. click

C'mon already!!!
9.gif

Seriously - don't get too close, use the macro mode if you have it but start at least 6" away and then use your zoom (if you have one) to get in nearer. Rest your camera on something slightly higher than the gemstone to avoid wobble!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:25:38 PM
Author: Chrono
No flash - check!

I have heard quite a few mention waiting for the sun before taking pictures. IMO a cloudy day is much better though. The color and faceting seem to show better under a cloudy sky. Again just my opinion. If you use indoor lighting. Use diffused lighting (fluorescent) with the light arranged in a way that you get the light reflecting from the stone. I like to think of a triangle. The light at one leg. the gem at the point and the camera as the other leg of the triangle. Hope this helps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No flash - check!
Just don''t worry about the photos, even if they come out bad, we all know you have impeccable taste in colored gems, so we will know it''s the camera''s fault, not yours.
2.gif

We just want to see pictures - ANY PICTURES. I don''t care if it looks like a blurry blob with cellulite (taking from LindaW''s quote when she tried to photograph her padparadscha).
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 5:16:08 PM
Author: colormyworld

No flash - check!

I have heard quite a few mention waiting for the sun before taking pictures. IMO a cloudy day is much better though. The color and faceting seem to show better under a cloudy sky. Again just my opinion. If you use indoor lighting. Use diffused lighting (fluorescent) with the light arranged in a way that you get the light reflecting from the stone. I like to think of a triangle. The light at one leg. the gem at the point and the camera as the other leg of the triangle. Hope this helps.
True,
I actually have some gems that look better in fluorescent light, or a cloudy day, than a sunny day. I think a light box also similates diffused lighting.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well do you at least LIKE it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:16:08 PM
Author: colormyworld
What type of triangle? Equilateral? Isosceles?
2.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures!!!! Pictures!!! Pictures!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My spessartite did not want to cooperate but the tsavorite colour looks pretty accurate.

spesstsav1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Attempting a hand shot.

tsav001.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My attempt at triangulating everything by hand. It didn''t turn out so well but better than what I expected.
9.gif

tsavq1.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOWZA!!!!! So you likey?! Because I do!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I''m getting the hang of it.

tsavq2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand shots still seems to give me more accurate colour. I hate how my hand looks in photographs.
14.gif

tsavq3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture taken without additional lighting and triangulation.

tsavq4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A different angle and without additional lighting.

tsavq5.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 9:59:26 PM
Hand shots still seems to give me more accurate colour. I hate how my hand looks in photographs.
14.gif
OMG!!! ARE THESE ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS FROM CHRONO - I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK FROM THE SHOCK!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now get cracking at taking more pictures of your amazing collection. Those stones are just gorgeous (including the much talked about spess)
3.gif
. I can see how the new one really is above and beyond the others though. Thank you sooooo much for the pictures oh and

sorry I'm such a smarta*s
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tsav I just purchased isn''t in this lineup.

tsavtrio1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I off the hit list?
9.gif
It wasn''t too bad but it also took longer than I expected. Most turned out well on the first try but I was unable to get the details. Perhaps I''ll use the zoom next time. Thanks for the last minute advice.

And YES, the new tsavorite is a keeper!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again for the pictures. Any pictures are better than no pictures, and even though they''re fuzzy, you can still get a good idea of the great color and shape.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 9:51:07 PM
Attempting a hand shot.
Finally!
36.gif
Please please take the stunning tsavorite out of the stone holder.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice stones and PICTURES. Thank you Chrono. After these pics it would seem there are no more excuses.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 9:51:07 PM
Attempting a hand shot.
*Gasp*

Where do you live? Not that I am going to come over and commit a robbery or anything...

I LOVE IT!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
WOW. It looks so gorgeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for being patient and putting up with the fuzzy pictures. And thanks for the compliment. Hope no one passed out because I finally posted some pictures.
9.gif

Despite the tips, the quality of the pictures is still lacking. What am I doing wrong? How else can I improve the pictures? I want to be able to capture the details like Mochi, Yingh, LTP and the others.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, the color is beautiful.

As for the pics. Do you have macro on your camera? I have 2 macro settings on my canon (and it is not a super fancy camera). One is manual and one is digital. I find the digital one is easier to use. Using a tripod is helpful as well (or just balance your camera on a box or something else solid). I never use a flash with my pics, if fact, I disable it. It messes up the color.

ETA: probably for every pic I put up here, there were 10 more that I deleted. It is tough, but rewarding when you get a good pic

But I am so happy to see pics. Those are some killer stones
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results