shape
carat
color
clarity

Still no ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Ally, I am just cringing for you, this whole situation is just AWFUL!!
29.gif
38.gif
I am so sorry that you had to go through this. At least things are moving along, and quickly!! I think it''s definitely better to know that the guy came in and the cops know (hopefully) where the items are (including your ring and the other "significant" item-I''d like to see pics of that!). I hope that they find your ring and it gets back to you safely!!

Keep us posted!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ally, at least you are making some progress!!! I''m crossing my fingers that they are able to find your ring!

Thanks for the updates
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh ally, I''m so sorry. I would think there might be a pretty good chance you''re ring might still be at a pawn shop because of your small finger size. I''m glad they finally caught up with the guy and I hope this is all resolved soon for you.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points about the priciness and small ring size being factors that work in your favor. Hopefully your ring is still sitting in a pawn shop somewhere. Can you ask the cops if they can put out some kind of bulletin to area pawn shop owners to see if anyone has received a ring like yours in recent weeks?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ally i''m glad there is news even if it''s questionable on good or bad right now but keep your hopes up...the others have made good point re: small ring size and priciness etc...i hope you can get it back soon!! the whole story is just ridiculous, and don''t be feeling any guilt for being mad. you entrusted someone with a precious item and it was essentially stolen, there are seriously no words for a person like this man. he needs serious help.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let''s hope the police at are that pawn shop right now reclaiming all of that stolen merchandise. I think it would be up to the pawn shop to determine if they were taking in stolen merchandise or not. If so, then it''s their loss. I mean how many people walk in with several pieces of expensive jewelery that they just decided to pawn???? I think there is a pretty good chance that your ring is still there - I sure have my fingers crossed for you. If not, then at least the insurance company could investigate and pay out your claim. At least the scenario is better than it was - you have some idea as to what happened.

Again, I''m sorry that this happened and I will cross everything I have for you in hopes that your ring turns up. Please keep us updated and just keep taking deep breaths!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Ally! I am glad that there is news. I am praying that your engagement ring be returned. As for the jerk.. don''t waste any energy being mad at him. He''s not worth it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Upfront - I don''t know for sure - but "gage" could mean that it is in "pawn". You get x amount of dollars for the item. If you don''t "buy it back" in x amount of time, the pawn store keeps it. If it just happened, you may be able to "buy it back" at the pawned amount.

...just something to consider. And, I believe your insurance company would agree to that - if it''s possible. The person who "pawned" it to begin with may have to handle the paperwork.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ally, that really stinks....it's like a bad movie. At least this guy is accounted for and giving the details. I am hopeful that you will get your ring back soon.

You have been given some great advice and I would add that you should keep calling the police to see what the status is on your ring. Make sure they know you will be calling often to check in and get an update on the investigation......

Heather

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow, Alley. I wish I knew the "perfect" thing to say, but alas I do not; that said, I feel uneasy that you/your fiancee are living through this stressful situation. But I am glad you can express your feelings and that the support here might provide you with some small comfort. Hope the police are quickly able to unravel this mess and put your mind at ease.

Kind regards--Sharon

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are getting closer to getting your ring back - I have been thinking of you and hoping for good news!
Although pawn shops have a bad rap, and are in generally seedy neighborhoods, I can tell you that at least some of them are very ethical. Some of my extended family used to own one and believe me, these are very up-and-up people. I think many, if not most, pawn shops would not want anything to do with stolen merchandise. If they do have your ring it would be in their best interest to cooperate with the police and I think that they would.

Maybe the one piece that was "significant" was yours!

Gail

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
oh....ally. this is terrible news. sending lots of hugs. keep us updated. awful...

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ally, have been following your thread and am so sorry about what''s happened. I know you must be so distressed you can''t think straight. But, the fact that the police know where the ring was pawned, and if you have been able to give them a documented description of the ring, you ought to be able to get it back! I would call them and insist on knowing when they are going to the pawn shop to identify and collect the stolen merchandise. As long as it gets into the hands of the police, I''m sure you wouldn''t mind a little delay in getting it back, so long as you know you will get it back, right?

So the question is, when are they going to go seize the stolen goods, including your ring? And when will they allow you to come and make an identification?

The time is now to harden your heart and play hardball with the cops about recovering the ring.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

Hey everyone,

Well I actually got news last night, but I was really devestated, and didn''t post. I want to thank all of you for all your support, it''s meant so much to me to have a place to vent. Yesturday the police went to the shop and did not find my ring (if there is any consolation, it''s that the ring which is worth more then mine was also not found...miserly loves company..what can I say?) the other stolen property was located at other shops around the island of Montreal. Both of the rings were sold some time late last week. The policeman told me that the investigation was not closed, but at this point he advised me to file the insurance claim as diamonds (non laser inscribed) are very difficult to trace, and that there was a time limit on filing insurance claims. I didn''t get any specifics beyond this, although I''m a bit confused, over how come they just can''t trace the credit card purchase or whatever, but I was too upset to inquire more. I figure they know what they are doing.

I think I have to mentally let it go, because this whole thing is putting a strain on my relationship. We''re both kind of mad and snappy at each other, and it''s not worth it. I''m constantly surprised at how attached I actually was to the ring, because I think of someone else wearing it (or my stone) and it upsets me. Although I guess realistically, my stone might have belonged to someone else before it found it''s way to me.

So that''s it, not much more else to say. We''re both trying to look at alternatives, to try and cheer us up. So we''re debating two options:

a) Getting the closest replica of my original ring (less keen on this idea because of the huge hassles we had with my ring, but there''s a sentimental attachement there)

b) Getting a totally different ring (we''re discussing a 1.8 -2+ ct stone in a Vera Wangish custom setting)

I suppose the only issue is I was used to the girth of the halo, so I''m thinking that a stone alone, regardless of it''s size would seem small to me in comparision. In any case, thank you all for all of your positive vibes
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, I am so sorry to hear this. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that your original ring turns up, but if not I know you will find another one which you both will love. I really am sorry, hugs to you. I just wish there was something I could say to make you feel better...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what Lorelei said - I still hope your ring turns up, but do agree it''s time to do something about the insurance because as I thought, there is a statute of limitations for claims. If you end up finding your ring, all is well and good, but at least you''ve moved forward.

I know it is devastating to think of someone wearing your ring, and in absence the lost item seems absolutely perfect, but now is the time to correct anything you wish you''d done differently the first time. For example, do you want to go with 3 sided pave and melee and risk it falling out as happened before, etc... It definitely is a hard decision and heartwrenching to boot - but definitely I think if you try to move on it will be the best thing for you, your engagement, and the relationship!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Alley,
I am really sorry about the events that have been going on with your ring.
I know from the start you have been having problems but now to have the ring stolen and sold to someone else, I don''t even know what to say.......

I guess if the ring was meant to be for you, you will eventually be reunited with it. God works in mysterious ways, so may be you were meant not to have that particular ring and the events leading to it''s disappearance were just hints to the inevitable.

I am sure that you will have the ring of your dreams eventually, hopefully sooner, not later.....Keep a smile on your face..................and we are all here for you regardless..
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww ally....i do agree that if the ring is meant to be returned to you it will...and with all the problems you''ve had with this ring, maybe it''s some horrible twist of fate?

my two cents on your future new ring, i would not get anything that has micropave melee kind of thing going on, including a vera wangish setting (with melee i would assume?), to me that just seems like you could be asking for the same kind of problems. i''d get something totally different (maybe for a better mental association too) and more durable. maybe a halo on the ring but if you get a much larger stone then it would make up for the halo right?

anyway, file the claim so you are covered and i will keep my fingers crossed but i would not obsess about it too much, esp if it is affecting your relationship...good luck gal!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ally, I'm so sorry to hear this news.

I agree with everything FireGoddess and butterfly said. While it's a sad loss to you, perhaps this is your chance to get exactly what you want the next time around. You've had so many problems with this ring and I hate to sound heartless because I know how awful this is to you, but I'm a true believer of everything happens for a reason. I know it might sound mean (not my intention!) and somewhat kooky and superstitious but maybe there's a reason why this ring has brought you so much anguish. I know you did develop an attachment to it, but you may have to just try to move on and maybe the next time, it will all be perfect from the minute you get it. I'm sorry. I'm really not a cold person, I'm just trying to get you to see another side, as difficult as it may be. Please don't be offended by my words!! And please try not to let this put a strain on your relationship. There is still hope that they will find the ring but if they don't, you'll get something even better and not as "high maintenance" next time.

Sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us updated...

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Ally, I was never sure if the guy who pawned your ring was the appraiser who had his phone disconnected or the jeweler who wasn''t answering his door. Lots more to this methinks. I still hope for the return of your ring.

shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Ally, I''m so sorry the news was not good. I hope your insurance company will handle things quicky for you. I know when you first got your Leon you had some doubts and the pave setting had given you a lot of trouble. I''m am with those who said they think you should really think about getting something different and something that regular maintanance can be done on locally for you. There are some gorgeous settings out there and with a larger stone I''ll be you be able to get past all this quickly
1.gif
. Again, I''m really sorry and can''t imagine something so special just disappearing
15.gif
. But is in important to remember it is just a ring and the love you and your BF share is of far greater importance.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ally! I am so sorry. (((hugs))) I know how you feel sometimes something just means so much, the ring was a symbol of his love and commitment to you. I am sorry that someone stole it.
I hope that you are able to find something different (not better or worse) that will come to represent not only his love for you but that the two of you are strong enough to work past life’s problems and stay together. I hope you get some good news soon!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
After reading Shay's post, I thought maybe I would post this monstrous thing, detailing everything. Hope it all makes more clears everything up (and so people avoid a similar situation).

Last night, the police explained things to me. The appraiser and the "jewler" on the recipt are one and the same. In some time past, this guy had been a jeweler and kept the address (the one on the recipt) as an " atelier" So it was an appraiser with a suite where he evidently did "repairs" I suppose, the whole appraiser/jeweler should have been a flashing light because someone mentioned it back in the original thread that, that in itself may be a conflict of interest.

But most of this at the end of the day was my fault. First off, I never checked his credentials. He's not a GIA appraiser, and not even appraiser with any significant credentials, he had a jewelery store in the past, decades ago I believe, but other then that no. So that wasn't the smartest thing in the world.

When I first had my ring appraised, the GIA appraiser (one I referred Radiant lover too) and which is a good/completely authentic appraiser, that works for Canada customs said that a stone falling out isn't hard to fix. However, at that time, the setting was new so I had it fixed by Leon. SO I JUST want to make it absolutely clear that it was not my original appraiser (a GIA certified appraiser) that stole my ring.

This time around, when the stone fell out, I don't have a Canada passport, don't want to go through hassle of getting one, so I thought it could be done locally since my original appraiser said it wasn't hard to do. Problem is who to do it? So....future brother in law (yes the abusive loser one) said, " I know an appraiser that my family has worked with a lot that has really good contacts, that might be able to do it for you" So I thought ok, they know him + trust him. Should be good. I'm furthur influanced by the fact that on the day I visit there was another asian person in the waiting room (I'm race influanced what can I say), so I leave the ring. But right off, I was uncomfortable because:

a) The name on the recipt isn't from the appraiser, and he doesn't sign it
b) I didn't mention this but there's no description of my ring. It just says "bague"

Now after I leave my ring, I start to think. All this worries me because when I was going to leave my ring with Birks, they had a very long form to fill out, so I'm starting to think, "what if he says I never left my ring there" But then no one was very worried on this forum, so I thought I was being paranoid. Put it behind me studied for exam....but then 10 days later, no news, and hence the first post.

So I think I brought this on myself a) For trying to save money and not go with Birks or to the original appraiser
b) For thinking any good could come from FBIL

Just goes to show that you can't always trust someone because you get a reference from them. I didn't ask him any questions except on his "ability" to fix it, rather then if he was GIA certified etc., I just assumed that FBIL would refer me to someone trustworthy. And this is at the core of why my boyfriend is so angry with me. Because I'm usually very careful, and I always think people are out to get me, so it begs the question of why I was SO STUPID
15.gif

Oh and just so you all know, you've reminded me how much I HATED the setting. No pave. I'm going to take my time and see how this works out. I think the very stange thing is that my boyfriend and I NEVER went ring shopping. I've basically only tried on 1 ring in my life, and that's a halo look-alike ring from Birks. For all I know, I might totally go for a more classic traditional look. I've never even tried on princess cut diamonds, so maybe I'll discover that I like something totally different!

Thanks again for everything ladies!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so sorry to hear your news. I too though believe that things happen for a reason. I am sure that in time you will find a beautiful stone and a setting that is problem free. It just takes time to get over something like this. It is difficult to be a victim; there is innocence lost to be sure. I once had my car stolen right out from underneath my hands. It was a terrible ordeal and I hated the fact that I felt I could trust no one anymore. But you know what? Maybe because it made me so much more aware it has kept me from being victimized in other, worse ways. It was an expensive ordeal too but eventually we got through the whole insurance thing (the car was found but was trashed) and I eventually sold the car and got another one. At the time, I was so upset I couldn''t see there ever being a good car scenario again. Of course, there was and there have been other cars since.

Take care of yourself and take it day by day, step by step. It will all work out in the end. You and your special someone will have to remember to take special care of each other at this point - don''t let it drive you apart.

Good luck and let us know when you decide to look for a new stone in earnest. Here''s wishing you both all the best!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about you''re ring being sold!! I really hope you can get something that you will love just as much!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, thanks for sharing the whole, sordid story. It must be painful just typing it out! I agree that maybe all this happened for a reason....just a long, roundabout way to your "true" e-ring that is still awaiting you, somewhere out there. Try to enjoy the e-ring shopping, do you think your fiance will be able to handle going with you, given his emotional state about this whole thing?

Is FBIL your Fiance''s brother? Shouldn''t he be angry with HIM for giving you the reference to the crook in the first place??

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
OMG how did I miss this thread. Ally that is just terrible... I''m so sorry things have been such a mess... the important thing is to not let the whole thing sour your relationship. It sounds like you''ve beat yourself up so much about poor decisions, etc... but there''s only so much you can do - there''s nothing you can change about the situation, so I guess it''s just ot take it as a learning experience... UGH!!!

I hope things turn out, otherwise, get a new ring and don''t look back!! Maybe it just wasn''t meant to be...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, that meddling FBIL
29.gif
. Oh Ally, gosh what a mess. Please remember this isn''t your fault. Sure there are things you could have done/should have done, but hind sight is always 20/20 and you''ve been busy with school and were just looking for someone to pop one little stone back in your setting. I know you guys are going to get past this and after getting over the hurt and anger you are going to be able to find yourself one amazing new e-ring. One that you are going to LOVE from top to bottom and be able to wear without constant fear of damaging it
36.gif
. I for one can''t wait to see what you''re going to get and hope you will include us in the process this time around too
1.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ally, this is not your fault. You have to let that go. The problem here is that most of us are honest, trusting people, and we don''t think like people do who are dishonest, or have a disease. Some red flags may have gone up but any ethical person tends to believe that others are honest and ethical. How many of us would expect our repair person to steal our jewelry? What are the chances? You got the bad luck of the draw, but it''s not your fault.

I am so sorry this happened, it never should have, but as someone else said, things happen for a reason. You may feel sentimental about the ring now, but if you had gotten it back, would your feelings about it be tainted by the problems you''ve had with the ring?

I suggest you and your FI take your time and pick out a stunning diamond. Maybe go for a simple setting. Then really take your time figuring out what setting you want, and this time, avoid intricate settings that might cause maintence problems.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry ally! You cannot blame yourself. I would go with a totally different ring design. Mara is right, maybe I would stay away from pave. Unless you have a local jeweler you trust I wouldn''t even both with it. At least you had insurance on the stone! I know you will once again have a beautiful ring we can all drool over.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results