shape
carat
color
clarity

Steptastic!!! - my new 1.59ct Asscher & Tapered Baguettes Ring

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I have to confess to having ogled your amazing Octavia extensively :kiss2: Its in a league of its own.

You are sweet! Thank you! However, this Asscher is truly an incredible find- it is the most perfect Asscher I've seen. It gave me pause, and my Octavia is the only other stone that has ever done that! Congrats on such a beautiful reward to your search! May you enjoy it for years to come!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love everything about your ring…especially the setting with tapered baguettes. Classic!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Everything about your ring is just absolutely stunning!! I have to say your photos are also incredible, you have captured your diamond beautifully! =)2

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love everything about your ring…especially the setting with tapered baguettes. Classic!
Thanks, I do love the tapered baguettes!
Everything about your ring is just absolutely stunning!! I have to say your photos are also incredible, you have captured your diamond beautifully! =)2
Thank you. I really love photographing my rings. I'm always on the quest for the perfect shot. Getting a decent video of the ring which shows the steps in motion has been more challenging, but I'm not giving up yet =)2

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
So I am wondering if you could post a video so we can see performance and squint at it like you said to do. I’ve found a ring design I like and know it would be great with an Asscher. Also wondering why you didn’t try to get an octavia (although your stone is so gorgeous. Maybe the premium or wait was not worth it. Is it still possible to get them?

Tanzie

Rough_Rock
There was a very long and winding route to acquiring this asscher :D I first discovered asschers a few years ago when I came across a stunning antique ring in a jewellery shop window. The diamond had intriguing steps and large clipped corners, and even though it was way out of budget and I was not in the market for a diamond ring at the time, I had to go into the store and find out all about it. This was beginning of my longing to find a beautiful asscher of my own, but at the time I had no idea about all of the factors that contribute to making a beautiful example of an asscher diamond.

Over the years I have not missed the opportunity to look in every jewellery shop window I passed, anywhere I went, in the hope of seeing more examples of asscher diamonds. My lovely long-suffering husband has accepted that jewellery window shopping will be a built-in element of days out and holidays annd he has even become quite the expert in what to look for, after listening to me banging on for hours about it all. :lol: But they are not a particularly common site here in the UK, and especially not in sizes large enough to appreciate all the details of the geometric patterns. Various threads on PS, along with online diamond vendor sites and IG have fuelled the obsession over the years.

I chose a round brilliant for my enagement ring because I wanted the classic sparkle for my everyday ring, and I have never regretted this decision. But a part of me has always been on the look out for a right hand ring asscher which ticks all my boxes and scratches the itch. It has been sooooo difficult finding exactly the right stone which is bright under the table as well as through the crown facets, has evenly spaced well defined steps that flash on and off, loads of fire, large clipped corners creating beautiful windmills which light up as much as the other facets. I wanted a white-facing stone which would also face up a good size for the carat weight, and be large enough for me to appreciate the beautiful step patterning. I also wanted a diamond that could hold its own against some of my other diamond rings without looking too "quiet"

I had a few near misses, and ended up ordering and returning a couple of "almost perfect" examples, until I found my 1.59ct H VVS1 on Bluenile.

Here are the specs:

Length/Width Ratio 1.00
Depth % 66.3%
Table % 61.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Measurements 6.55 x 6.52 x 4.32 mm

I loved the video so much that I ordered the diamond without seeing an ASET image, and was very pleasantly surprised when I viewed it with my own ASET scope at home. Here it is loose:

1629135064435.png 1629135103180.png 1629135263146.png

Here is a previous thread with more photos/ video of the loose diamond:

There was a lot of agonising over the design for the ring setting, but I eventually decided that I wanted to stick with something fairly simple with step cut side stones that would be easy to clean in a powerful ultrasonic without worrying about little diamonds coming loose. Asschers definitely need to be clean to get the maximum wow factor.

Anyway, here is the finished ring with 0.33cts tapered baguettes:

20210505_171646 (2).jpg 20210507_210333 (2).jpg 20210531_164146.jpg 20210531_170800.jpg 20210505_141049-1 (2).jpg 20210505_134716-1.jpg 1629136282267.jpeg 20210505_141237-1.jpg 20210505_142748.jpg 20210505_172459 (2).jpg 20210507_210131 (2).jpg

Beautiful!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a very long and winding route to acquiring this asscher :D I first discovered asschers a few years ago when I came across a stunning antique ring in a jewellery shop window. The diamond had intriguing steps and large clipped corners, and even though it was way out of budget and I was not in the market for a diamond ring at the time, I had to go into the store and find out all about it. This was beginning of my longing to find a beautiful asscher of my own, but at the time I had no idea about all of the factors that contribute to making a beautiful example of an asscher diamond.

Over the years I have not missed the opportunity to look in every jewellery shop window I passed, anywhere I went, in the hope of seeing more examples of asscher diamonds. My lovely long-suffering husband has accepted that jewellery window shopping will be a built-in element of days out and holidays annd he has even become quite the expert in what to look for, after listening to me banging on for hours about it all. :lol: But they are not a particularly common site here in the UK, and especially not in sizes large enough to appreciate all the details of the geometric patterns. Various threads on PS, along with online diamond vendor sites and IG have fuelled the obsession over the years.

I chose a round brilliant for my enagement ring because I wanted the classic sparkle for my everyday ring, and I have never regretted this decision. But a part of me has always been on the look out for a right hand ring asscher which ticks all my boxes and scratches the itch. It has been sooooo difficult finding exactly the right stone which is bright under the table as well as through the crown facets, has evenly spaced well defined steps that flash on and off, loads of fire, large clipped corners creating beautiful windmills which light up as much as the other facets. I wanted a white-facing stone which would also face up a good size for the carat weight, and be large enough for me to appreciate the beautiful step patterning. I also wanted a diamond that could hold its own against some of my other diamond rings without looking too "quiet"

I had a few near misses, and ended up ordering and returning a couple of "almost perfect" examples, until I found my 1.59ct H VVS1 on Bluenile.

Here are the specs:

Length/Width Ratio 1.00
Depth % 66.3%
Table % 61.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Measurements 6.55 x 6.52 x 4.32 mm

I loved the video so much that I ordered the diamond without seeing an ASET image, and was very pleasantly surprised when I viewed it with my own ASET scope at home. Here it is loose:

1629135064435.png 1629135103180.png 1629135263146.png

Here is a previous thread with more photos/ video of the loose diamond:

There was a lot of agonising over the design for the ring setting, but I eventually decided that I wanted to stick with something fairly simple with step cut side stones that would be easy to clean in a powerful ultrasonic without worrying about little diamonds coming loose. Asschers definitely need to be clean to get the maximum wow factor.

Anyway, here is the finished ring with 0.33cts tapered baguettes:

20210505_171646 (2).jpg 20210507_210333 (2).jpg 20210531_164146.jpg 20210531_170800.jpg 20210505_141049-1 (2).jpg 20210505_134716-1.jpg 1629136282267.jpeg 20210505_141237-1.jpg 20210505_142748.jpg 20210505_172459 (2).jpg 20210507_210131 (2).jpg

Absolutely beautiful! I love the rainbow of colors!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

Absolutely beautiful! I love the rainbow of colors!

Thanks so much. Asschers are definitely a great cut for seeing rainbows :kiss2: My daughter and I were so busy admiring the rainbow flashes when we were out walking in the woods today that we didn't notice a dog walker until she got close enough for us to see her looking at us strangeley:lol:. I suppose we must have looked a bit odd, with me waving my hand around at strange angles to catch just the right lighting. :lol:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I am wondering if you could post a video so we can see performance and squint at it like you said to do. I’ve found a ring design I like and know it would be great with an Asscher.
Here you go:

I still dont think this captures what I actually see, especially the colours. This one may be a little better:

Also wondering why you didn’t try to get an octavia (although your stone is so gorgeous. Maybe the premium or wait was not worth it. Is it still possible to get them?
Good question. I did consider it, and the Octavia is a very beautiful cut, but the look is a little different to a more traditional asscher cut, and I was really set on getting the traditional look with the hall of mirrors effect. In the videos I have seen of Octavias they seem to have more triangular flashes of light whereas the traditional asscher has longer bars of light in distinctive concentric squares.

I believe that Octavias can be obtained still, although it may be a case of having them cut for your specifications rather than them being held as stock items.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Diamondhoarder, I say this with trepidation but I agree with you, I like the more traditional Asschers. I sit glassy-eyed over the Octavias on this forum but I feel they're not for me. They're for Kenny and Dr. Diesel and those whose favorite color isn't beige.
I really like your new Asscher which looks very slightly RA, a lovely and fiery hybrid two generations away. I keep looking at it trying to define what's slightly different that makes it so memorable. Most encouraging that you found it on Blue Nile. If memory serves, mrs-b said she found the best cut RB she has on BN. She said her jeweler affirmed that it was astounding. Of course, that was a while ago and that girl doesn't sit still.
David at DbL has an amazing Asscher but 2.48 ct. F and $32,000. Somehow I feel spending half your savings would bring bad luck.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamondhoarder, I say this with trepidation but I agree with you, I like the more traditional Asschers. I sit glassy-eyed over the Octavias on this forum but I feel they're not for me. They're for Kenny and Dr. Diesel and those whose favorite color isn't beige.
I really like your new Asscher which looks very slightly RA, a lovely and fiery hybrid two generations away. I keep looking at it trying to define what's slightly different that makes it so memorable. Most encouraging that you found it on Blue Nile. If memory serves, mrs-b said she found the best cut RB she has on BN. She said her jeweler affirmed that it was astounding. Of course, that was a while ago and that girl doesn't sit still.
David at DbL has an amazing Asscher but 2.48 ct. F and $32,000. Somehow I feel spending half your savings would bring bad luck.

If there is a similarity to an RA it is probably because of the larger corners and the precision of the windmills, along with the angles of the 3 crown steps. All of which were things that Mike Asscher mentioned to me as important for this specific look and performance.

And yes, Bluenile does have some great finds if you look hard enough, probably much like James Allen. Although with BN I think that the buying process is probably a little easier, especially their payment processes. Mind you, BN does not offer ASETs so that makes buying fancies from them more tricky.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I am wondering if you could post a video so we can see performance and squint at it like you said to do. I’ve found a ring design I like and know it would be great with an Asscher. Also wondering why you didn’t try to get an octavia (although your stone is so gorgeous. Maybe the premium or wait was not worth it. Is it still possible to get them?

Finally managed to get a video that captures some of the many colours I see through the steps as it moves :kiss2:

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Agreed! The Octavia is not for everyone! DEFINITELY for me, but I know several people who, while admiring the stone, have no desire to wear it. It has to resonate with you =)2

...and that is one SPECTACULAR Asscher!!!! I actually prefer it to my old RA (which I no longer have).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@diamondhoarder I don’t know how I missed this! It is so amazingly beautiful! Stunning! :kiss2:

Blue Bird

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on a beautiful ring, I’m in love with your Asscher! And thank you for taking time and sharing these “technical stuff”!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
...and that is one SPECTACULAR Asscher!!!! I actually prefer it to my old RA (which I no longer have).
Awww, thanks, that is high praise indeed, I was pretty obsessed with your RA! :D
@diamondhoarder I don’t know how I missed this! It is so amazingly beautiful! Stunning! :kiss2:
Thanks - I know you are dedicated to the cause, being the owner of a pretty amazing step cut yourself!
Oh my goooosh!!!! I am DROOOLING!!! :kiss2:
Thanks =)2
Congratulations on a beautiful ring, I’m in love with your Asscher! And thank you for taking time and sharing these “technical stuff”!
Thank you. I'm all about the technical stuff, in fact I'm a bit of a sad case when it comes to overanalysing and over-thinking my sparklies :lol: Apart from being a little different from the traditional norm of the RB, one of the reasons I love fancies so much is the challenge of finding a beautiful one. It becomes addictive. :D

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Timeless, classic perfection. Congratulations.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elegant, classic, and oh so gorgeous!! Beautiful asscher. Love how the ring looks on your hand!

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful, I love how clean it looks! congrats

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results