shape
carat
color
clarity

Steptastic!!! - my new 1.59ct Asscher & Tapered Baguettes Ring

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There was a very long and winding route to acquiring this asscher :D I first discovered asschers a few years ago when I came across a stunning antique ring in a jewellery shop window. The diamond had intriguing steps and large clipped corners, and even though it was way out of budget and I was not in the market for a diamond ring at the time, I had to go into the store and find out all about it. This was beginning of my longing to find a beautiful asscher of my own, but at the time I had no idea about all of the factors that contribute to making a beautiful example of an asscher diamond.

Over the years I have not missed the opportunity to look in every jewellery shop window I passed, anywhere I went, in the hope of seeing more examples of asscher diamonds. My lovely long-suffering husband has accepted that jewellery window shopping will be a built-in element of days out and holidays annd he has even become quite the expert in what to look for, after listening to me banging on for hours about it all. :lol: But they are not a particularly common site here in the UK, and especially not in sizes large enough to appreciate all the details of the geometric patterns. Various threads on PS, along with online diamond vendor sites and IG have fuelled the obsession over the years.

I chose a round brilliant for my enagement ring because I wanted the classic sparkle for my everyday ring, and I have never regretted this decision. But a part of me has always been on the look out for a right hand ring asscher which ticks all my boxes and scratches the itch. It has been sooooo difficult finding exactly the right stone which is bright under the table as well as through the crown facets, has evenly spaced well defined steps that flash on and off, loads of fire, large clipped corners creating beautiful windmills which light up as much as the other facets. I wanted a white-facing stone which would also face up a good size for the carat weight, and be large enough for me to appreciate the beautiful step patterning. I also wanted a diamond that could hold its own against some of my other diamond rings without looking too "quiet"

I had a few near misses, and ended up ordering and returning a couple of "almost perfect" examples, until I found my 1.59ct H VVS1 on Bluenile.

Here are the specs:

Length/Width Ratio 1.00
Depth % 66.3%
Table % 61.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Measurements 6.55 x 6.52 x 4.32 mm

I loved the video so much that I ordered the diamond without seeing an ASET image, and was very pleasantly surprised when I viewed it with my own ASET scope at home. Here it is loose:

1629135064435.png 1629135103180.png 1629135263146.png

Here is a previous thread with more photos/ video of the loose diamond:

There was a lot of agonising over the design for the ring setting, but I eventually decided that I wanted to stick with something fairly simple with step cut side stones that would be easy to clean in a powerful ultrasonic without worrying about little diamonds coming loose. Asschers definitely need to be clean to get the maximum wow factor.

Anyway, here is the finished ring with 0.33cts tapered baguettes:

20210505_171646 (2).jpg 20210507_210333 (2).jpg 20210531_164146.jpg 20210531_170800.jpg 20210505_141049-1 (2).jpg 20210505_134716-1.jpg 1629136282267.jpeg 20210505_141237-1.jpg 20210505_142748.jpg 20210505_172459 (2).jpg 20210507_210131 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 1629136284076.jpeg
    1629136284076.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omggggg!! This is like my holy grail of asschers, and I absolutely adore your step cut sides! The whole overall effect is incredible! How did you pick such a well cut asscher, like what parameters did you search for? Congrats, it’s just perfect!

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous. I can’t even. This is #asschergoals.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is truly one of my all-time favorite asschers! Just stunning stone, beautiful classic setting, looks just fabulous on your hand. Your patience paid off!

May I ask your finger size? The proportions are perfect!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omggggg!! This is like my holy grail of asschers, and I absolutely adore your step cut sides! The whole overall effect is incredible!

Thanks. The sides had to be specially cut for me because I was so determined to have a perfectly matched pair with perfectly balanced light return. The problem with being this picky though is that it takes me years sometimes to get a finished piece that I'm happy with. :wall:
How did you pick such a well cut asscher, like what parameters did you search for? Congrats, it’s just perfect!

Well that's a question - how long have you got? :lol:

I started off with the basics like looking for a table smaller than depth, and setting limits on the depth of about 68, and a true 1:1ratio. I also wanted to ensure that that there would be no thick girdle hiding lots of weight. That, paired with the 66.3 depth gave the possibility of a decent face-up size for the weight. But the pavilion angles also effect this, and in my case I could see from the video that the stone wasnt hiding too much weight in the pavilion either.

I actually would have preferred a slightly smaller table but at 61 it works with this stone. It helps that the crown steps are equally spaced and are angled so that they gently curve towards the table, with a nice crown angle. I have noticed there are a lot of asschers out there where the angle of the last step in the crown facets before the table is quite flat and very close to just being part of the table, which I believe can negatively effect the light reflection patterns.

I have also found that after examining videos in minute detail to see how the steps light up and whether there is windowing at the tilt angles, it can be helpful to minimise the images on your screen, making them as small as possible so that you get an overall impression of whether the diamond is bright right across the stone, and whether there is sufficient flash and sparkle as it moves. Sometimes looking at the very magnified images is distracting and you end up focussing in on minute details instead of noticing the overall impression that the diamond leaves you with. I have found that it really helps when you view the diamond you are interested in in gallery view within your search results and then use the zoom facility on your device to reduce them all down to the minimum size possible. If the stone you have been looking at really pops compared to the others and shows a pleasing, even, symmetrical pattern of light and dark right across the stone, then you are on to a winner.

Well, you did ask........ :lol::lol::lol:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. I can’t even. This is #asschergoals.
Thank you =)2
This is truly one of my all-time favorite asschers! Just stunning stone, beautiful classic setting, looks just fabulous on your hand. Your patience paid off!

May I ask your finger size? The proportions are perfect!
Thanks, that is high praise indeed! Im a size 5 finger.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply perfect. Stunning!! :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is trully spectacular and will stand tall to the tests of time
What a beauty

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh lordyyyyyyyyyyyy! So pretty!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
PERFECTION!! Love everything about this -- very well done!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! M
Stunning result!!! Congrats!!!

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Incredible! Congratulations!!!

I’m so happy for you. I know how long and hard you’ve looked for this! What a find!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Classic. And OHHHHHHLALAAAAAA

cheers--Sharon

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring literally took my breath away. It's perfect in every way

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! The baguettes look perfect with your stunning Asscher :love::appl:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Not even a week ago I was wondering about the Asscher you bought. I thought, surely she still has it. And here it is, the setting perfectly complementing the diamond but not competing with it. Lovely taste and restraint! I have two stepcuts set in this style but yours is done to the Nth degree.
I've never seen a Royal Asscher IRL but there's one on JBG that has similar "Oh my goodness!" quality that yours has. If anyone has more experience with RAs, I'd love to see a comment.
Diamondhoarder, just beautifully done. A classic ring for future generations.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.:kiss2:
It's all really so beautiful, both the Asscher and the setting!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm gorgeous! Lovely asscher and the setting is perfection

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Thank you =)2

Thanks, that is high praise indeed! Im a size 5 finger.

Your ring is stunning! The baguettes are perfectly proportioned! Could you share the dimensions, what mm size are they.

I am looking to do a similar design but with a round brilliant and want the sides to be substantial enough, these look great with yours. They have enough presence without taking away from your amazing asscher!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I missed it - but who made the setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning! The baguettes are perfectly proportioned! Could you share the dimensions, what mm size are they.

I am looking to do a similar design but with a round brilliant and want the sides to be substantial enough, these look great with yours. They have enough presence without taking away from your amazing asscher!

Thanks. I did agonise over the right shape and proportions for the side stones for a long time. Mine are: 4.6 x 2.7 x 1.9.

When working out stone layouts I have found it helpful to make a scaled up drawing of my centre stone and cut it out so that I can "try out" other shapes of side stones in different sizes next to it. And then I photograph the different layouts and compare the images side by side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results