shape
carat
color
clarity

Star rose quartz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
WOW Marie that is a very nice star rose cab. very high quality.....cool a star rose thread...I will add to this...here in georgia we have a location for collecting star rose quartz. The material is a more pale pink than your cab. i will almost bet your comes from madagascar or Brazil since it''s such of good quality. Ours stars but not that well. When you shine the light or get the light directly on the stone you will not see the star 98% of the time but if you put a mirror under it the star jumps out at you. Quality not nearly as good as yours by far but whats cool is the material is free..you collect it. What is hot right now is star rose quartz with growth lines in it. We call it striped rose. All the cutters I know here in the Soth east have takin'' a liking to this material. Before most everybody wanted the nice clean material with no inclusions but after I had some pieces cut out of it lots of folks have wanted some for themselves. here is a giant rose quartz boulder I collected last summer..you can see how it forms in layers in the host white quartz rock. This stuff is razor sharp..notice the blood on my finger just from picking it up

giant star rose boulder.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is another boulder showing the striping on the rose..self collected here in GA

star rose boulder 2.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
and another one

star rose chunk.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Now here is that material I was talking about..this is star material but like i said the star doesn't show well unless put on a mirror..I decided to use the striping to my advantage and had these freefrom cabs cyt..just awesome..oh yea material will not star even on a mirror if you cut with the lines in it..

striped rose 1.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Some more of the striped rose I had cut...this is what everybody looks for now when we go collecting...hard to find a good piece with well defined lines and clean areas in between

striped rose 2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Any pictures of the striped rose quartz material after faceting, Am Guy? I'd love to see them.

ETA - Oh, I see you are posting more pictures. Very cool material!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
My buddy george who cut that ampa and ammy for me that I posted a few eeks ago goes collecting with me for this material and he has faceted some with the striping...I think it was a freefrom facet design...maybe it was a cab..I emailed him to send me some photos...as you can see the color is light for rose..it''s a pale pink...sinkankas states in his book noth american gems and mins. that this is the highest quality rose in the state of GA...it''s nothing compared to madagascar, brazilian, or South African material..even the top top best couldn''t hold a candle to marie''s rose she posted..that is a high quality piece..very very nice

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2009 4:20:23 PM
Author: amethystguy
WOW Marie that is a very nice star rose cab. very high quality.....cool a star rose thread...I will add to this...here in georgia we have a location for collecting star rose quartz. The material is a more pale pink than your cab. i will almost bet your comes from madagascar or Brazil since it''s such of good quality. Ours stars but not that well. When you shine the light or get the light directly on the stone you will not see the star 98% of the time but if you put a mirror under it the star jumps out at you. Quality not nearly as good as yours by far but whats cool is the material is free..you collect it. What is hot right now is star rose quartz with growth lines in it. We call it striped rose. All the cutters I know here in the Soth east have takin'' a liking to this material. Before most everybody wanted the nice clean material with no inclusions but after I had some pieces cut out of it lots of folks have wanted some for themselves. here is a giant rose quartz boulder I collected last summer..you can see how it forms in layers in the host white quartz rock. This stuff is razor sharp..notice the blood on my finger just from picking it up
very cool Amguy!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 2:05:11 PM
Author:mariedtiger
Hi,

I haven''t seen any star rose quartz here, so I had a small photo shoot with mine. I''m going to ship it off to McFarland designs, an Etsy seller Monday. It''s going to be set in a simple ring with red gold bezel and silver shank. I can''t wait! I''ll post pictures when I get it. In the meantime, here''s the gem. The star was really difficult to catch, it''s crazy bright in sunlight IRL. A fun stone.
Mariedtiger - You and your beautiful star rose quartz have convinced me.
9.gif
I just ordered a star rose quartz from Barry at ACstones. He assures me that the rose color is much better than his picture.

Thanks for enabling, all!
36.gif

q-6203g_1512_thumb.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of some madagascar star rose rough that I have..will have it cut sometime in the future..more than likely this is where your rose came from..stone is wet

madagascar rose.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Amethystguy Thank you for all of your pics and info. Love those striped cabs!

Nice to hear that you think this is quality stuff. It is a gem I can sit and stare at for hours, and I like how sharp and visible the star is. Totally different kind of star than in sapphires (which I also like). Great info about the mirror. I''ve only ever seen this star rose quartz, and I never understood why you need the mirror before this.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 7:52:36 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 4/25/2009 2:05:11 PM

Author:mariedtiger

Hi,

I haven't seen any star rose quartz here, so I had a small photo shoot with mine. I'm going to ship it off to McFarland designs, an Etsy seller Monday. It's going to be set in a simple ring with red gold bezel and silver shank. I can't wait! I'll post pictures when I get it. In the meantime, here's the gem. The star was really difficult to catch, it's crazy bright in sunlight IRL. A fun stone.
Mariedtiger - You and your beautiful star rose quartz have convinced me.
9.gif
I just ordered a star rose quartz from Barry at ACstones. He assures me that the rose color is much better than his picture.

Thanks for enabling, all!
36.gif

Wow, I've been looking at that gem Fly Girl. Can't wait to see your pictures and hear what you think. Always pleased when I can enable
9.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 8:00:25 PM
Author: amethystguy
Here is a pic of some madagascar star rose rough that I have..will have it cut sometime in the future..more than likely this is where your rose came from..stone is wet

That is huge! I''d really like to see that one when it''s cut
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are pretty! I would love to see a large vase carved from that material. It reminds me of some of the material the Ancient Egyptians used to carve vases and other decorative objects.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here are the pics I just recieved from George. This was part of what he collected last time we went looking for rose. If any of you are ever in Georgia or in this area and want to go collecting some for yourself drop me a line and we can head out..nothing better than free..and nothing better than having a stone cut from material that you found yourself.

BestRose georgia gsellis.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a faceted stone that george did....to answer your question and I should have thought about this before but faceting with the striping would not work very well because it would inhibit the light trnasfer through the stone and probably not look good...

Rosebarion george.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a freeform faceted stone of the rose that george did with the striped rose..he calls it rose quartz "flares" just a few facets here and there to give it a cool look

RoseFlares george.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Figured I would add this in too. I put up a pic of one of these on another thread that was not a very good one...these aquamarines I have were cut by dave Gronki a buddy of mine(he is on GO) who is guest faceter for R&G magazine(he hunts for rocks and gems with me all the time and loves JXR ammy's) the rough for this aquamarine I found at the same location as the rose I have posted..like I said nothing better than finding gem rough yourself...I have a few stones of aqua I would sell any day of the week but these that I personally dug from the ground will never leave me..also like I said if any of you ever are in my area I will take you to go see if you can find some aqua and rose yourself..or amethyst for that matter

my self collected aquamarine.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pictures of all the rose quartzes. It''s very interesting to look at and I wonder if some would be best left as mineral specimens...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t keep it as specimens as it''s massive variety..just a little fact for anyone interested there is no such thing as rose quartz "crystals" if there are crystals then it''s called "pink quartz"..it''s a somwhat confusing nomeclature in the mineral world..sometimes you will see the term rose quartz crystals but "rose quartz" is only used for the massive variety of pink quartz.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love it!! It''s so pretty.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I love the thought of digging up my own rough. I have an order in right now with a cutter who has hand dug natural blue topaz rough. He is going to cut an amazing stone for me. It just makes it more personal somehow.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
No matter how trusted a seller of stones you have he can't guarantte without a lab report if a stone is natural and even then sometimes lab reports are inconclusive. With your cutter and his hand dug blue topaz, marie, there is no question that it's natural as he dug it from the ground with his own two hands which is real impoatant with a stone like blue topaz as 99% of all blues are treated. Very cool. That stone hasn't been soiled by passing through many hands..from the ground to your hand with minimal interaction...definitly more personal. There are many locations across the U.S. where you can dig and/or mine your own stones. I have always wanted to dig sunstone from Oregon but it's a little to far for me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results