shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel dragonfly man's ring / Gary Roe and Inken

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @canuk-gal!

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! Wait you didn't just tell me how "brave" I was to wear that swimsuit, did you? :lol-2:

Yes, it was a step outside my comfort zone but I felt I was in good hands!

Was at my inlaws and saw this teapot that they keep on the wood stove to humidify the air. Swooped in for a closer look as I was avoiding other (food-prep) work before a get-together and saw it was a gorgeous dragonfly motif. And then I remembered that spouse and I got it for her maybe three decades ago (!). So I guess I have always had a thing for naturalistic dragonflies.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.58.14 PM.png

Tbh, it would have been cool to have perfectly contrasting eyes but so many dragonfly pieces have hokey (to me, at least) upward-facing "circle-eyes" that look like a kid's owl drawing. IRL, the eyes are almost hemispheres and face outward and forward. Now that would be a lot of work to carve from a stone!

It is fairly subtle on the hand -- looking straight down, you just see the stone and a "ball" on either end which you don't appreciate as a "bug head" until it is tilted a bit.

And, yes, definitely an unusual stone that I would not have bought from the photos alone, but Inken's "You really should see this one in person" convinced me it was unconventionally special.

I LOVE this kettle!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this kettle!!

Me, too! We should have bought one!

Looks like they are still out there ...

Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 9.48.04 AM.png

...but maybe not with the 30-years-on-the-wood-stove patina.

Lots of awful knockoffs now, looks like, that are flat on the bottom (electric range-friendly, maybe) but have an ugly profile from the side.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Omg I loved that when he posted! So happy for you -- and so glad it's "PS-owned and -operated."

Aw thank you!! Without you and PS this would not happen.

Omg so perfect!! I love this so much.

Did you commission this? I’m curious about how to look for his work for purchase.

No - this is entirely his design!
I dm'ed him when I saw he posted it. Initially he said he wanted to keep it himself but offered to use another pair of briolettes to make a new one for me. I told him I liked the rhodolite garnets on the original so after thinking about it, he sold the original to me. That was really nice of him.

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Late to the party but love this work of art so much. A perfect trifecta of color, form, and detail. As always, your taste is as impeccable as your wit and humor; well done!!

meladori

Rough_Rock
This looks amazing, thank you for sharing the process with us!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
STUNNING! And I love Inken - she is so smart, so talented and just an all around wonderful person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results