shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel dragonfly man's ring / Gary Roe and Inken

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have never done this -- posted a "making of" thread -- but it looked like fun and the professionals did such a great job on this project that I can't resist! This was a custom piece with a stone sourced from Inken and amazing metalwork by Gary Roe in Maine. Inken was kind enough to point me in Gary's direction for the very specific type of carving/engraving work I had in mind.

It started with this spinel from Inken. I had been looking for a vivid orangish-red spinel in a cushion or step cut (with an entirely different project in mind) when Inken alerted me to this one -- while acknowledging that it was not at all what I was looking for but was still very cool. Definitely an unusual color and shape -- but I liked the "racetrack" oval instead of the more conventional oval. The color is not super-saturated and maybe even a hint of gray but it's appealing and even more so in person -- a kind of dusty rose outdoors and a more coppery color in incandescent light and, oddly, under fluorescent light, too. I checked with spouse and kids and no one felt it was particularly unmasculine (showing my insecurity here). And it's big -- over 5 ct and 15mm (!) across. Shallow but no window and well-cut and very clean.

Spinel 5.57 ct long oval.png

I had admired Gary Roe's amazingly detailed botanical-themed, hand-engraved, Art Nouveau-looking metalwork (his IG is gary_roe_ ) and I was always struck that the leaves resembled dragonfly wings. (See this example below with emerald and YG.)

GR emerald YG.png

So I asked Gary if he could do something similar to this ring, above, with this spinel but stylize a dragonfly wing/body motif. He was super-excited about the idea and we were off and running. We each sketched a design and I sent him mine -- and we were on exactly the same page, idea-wise (although mine looked like it was drawn by an impatient five-year-old.) Two segmented bodies along the shank and pairs of wings meeting/overlapping at the half-way point around the stone. I was a little reluctant about proceeding because there is so much hokey dragonfly stuff that looks nothing like an actual dragonfly. I love nature and insects and natural history and it figures in my job so I did not want a fakey dragonfly. (I know they have a role and a place but it was just not what I wanted to stare at on my finger.) I sent Gary some inspo photos and diagrams of actual dragonflies and the shape and wing-veining -- plus some examples from an Art Nouveau jewelry IG of priceless museum and "private-collection" jewels that a PSer pointed me to last year (IG bijouxancienslyon). I did not need to do all this -- Gary was way ahead of me. He reassured me that he was "very confident" (his words!) in his ability to carve and engrave a dragonfly. And I don't think I said another word!

I initially wanted rose gold but he prefers his "royal" alloy and of course gave me the choice. I thought it might look more authentic Art Nouveau-y in YG over RG.

So my jaw dropped when he sent me these photos from the almost-completed ring (before mounting the stone).

20220713_153029.jpg
20220713_153020.jpg

I love the "architectural" look of the body segments -- they extended around the entire shank and meet on the palm side. And it contrasts so nicely with the intricate wing engraving.

I held my breath for the bezel mounting since wavy/wobbly bezels are a pet peeve of mine -- and could be super-obvious on a near-precision-cut stone like this one and with such long straight sides. I also briefly wondered if the ring was too "nice" for my funky-but-not-top-of-the-class spinel -- but he assured me it would look great with that stone.

Here are some shots of the finished ring -- showing the clean bezel first. All photos are from Gary and/or his IG. Only the last two mediocre ones are my on-the-finger shots. I love how it's "accurate" but not Gothic/creepy (in my eyes). Spouse is kinda sensitive to bug stuff and she loves it -- she encourages me to wear it!

DF_ring_2.jpg
DF_ring_3.jpg
DF_ring_4.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg

And closing it out with a terrible outdoors-in-the-shade hand shot of mine until I can use my "real" camera.

IMG_8878.jpg

And this wildly out-of-focus one to highlight the mirror-polish on the spinel -- the leaves reflected in the table are 10 or 20 feet away.

IMG_8876.jpg

It was such a pleasure to work with Inken again on this project. Sometimes I think the best thing she does -- while she is painstakingly looking for some unicorn we have set her off in search of -- is find something we are not looking for that is at least as cool.

And what a joy to work with Gary Roe for the first time. So much incredible talent but also so much enthusiasm and so collaborative -- it was really fun and energizing. He just ran with it -- and in exactly the right direction. He kept me posted every step of the way (I omitted a few steps above) -- showed me the wax carving and then the casting after some clean-up but still pre-engraving (which was so incredible that I wondered if I should just leave well enough alone!). Then after the engraving and after the mounting (confirming the bezel was perfect).

Edit: I have no relationship with either vendor -- just a happy customer.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow .The details and workmanship are stunning...along with how it works so seamlessly with the shape of your spinel.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Cool ring and that emerald ring is super awesome!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That's amazing! A nouveau concept, but without the nouveau stylization. With a suggestion of the Ark of the Covenant.

Men's rings are often stylish, but rarely original - ask me how I know. You've come up with a genuine one-off original, perfectly executed. Please add it to the Men's Bling thread.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!
That's exquisite!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness.

That is seamless… Stunning, svelte, so handsome. I could see that in a museum, with a number pin and a history placard beside the case…

Wow. I think the spinel could have gone either way - that stone could look beautiful in a curvaceous floral outfit. But it looks so right in your and Gary’s design. Strong, bold, very masculine. Another jeweller to add to my #must list.

I don’t even really know what to say. Bravo. This, my friend, is just a superbly executed work of art. Thank you for sharing - and most definitely inspiring… :love:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That ring is for you?! That ring is for you!
He's so talented. And a Mainiac. So, doubly awesome in my book.
I've been watching his IG, someday I'd absolutely love something by him.
You picked my favorite type of spinel, it's a one of a kind in color and shape. It really is 'your' stone.
Perfect, and what a beautiful example it is. Truly wearable fine art. :love:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
This ring is absolutely magnificent. Congrats to you for this amazing work of art and THANK YOU for introducing me to this skillful artist!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very cool! Love the color and design. Great pairing expertly executed!! Enjoy!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This ring is pure magic. It’s a work of art - Gary is a true master in every sense of the word and the concept for this is brilliant!

I closely tracked progress on IG! Gary just blew this project out of the water, and Inken selected an outstanding stone…what an incredible duo!

Love love love - so special.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow .The details and workmanship are stunning

He does such cool stuff. I told him I'd need to start carrying a loupe around to fully appreciate the detail!

Beautiful ring and motif for such a special stone.

Thank you, @T L

It's a stunner!

Thank you, @stracci2000! ironically, I initially wanted a an engraved ring because the smooth, featureless ones collect door dings so fast. Now I want to "baby" this one since so much work went into it!

Cool ring and that emerald ring is super awesome!

Yes, he has a few like that that I really love. I thought about "chickening out" and picking a tried-and-true design from his "back catalog" but he urged me to go for it on this (!) and convinced me that he could do exactly what I was looking for. I think he was almost as excited about the process as I was.

Wow! That's amazing! A nouveau concept, but without the nouveau stylization. With a suggestion of the Ark of the Covenant.

Thank you! And true -- it is an Art Nouveau-ish design element but not all flowing lines and whiplash. I looked at many (many) Art Nouveau dragonfly pieces -- they are all pins where there is unlimited real estate for embellishment and no structural constraints. Plique-a-jour wing details, etc. That would not "fly" for a ring!

That's exquisite!

Thank you, @kenny! High praise from you!

I could see that in a museum, with a number pin and a history placard beside the case…

Thank you, @yssie! It's not 100% to my kids' taste so I joked they'll toss it on the "sell" pile (with all the "brown furniture") when the time comes. I know they won't! Hopefully it won't be remembered as that ring that Dad loved but was too afraid to wear...

He's so talented. And a Mainiac. So, doubly awesome in my book.

Oh, now I get the handle! Yes, I feel very lucky to have found him for this project. It was fun to "follow along at home" while he posted on IG. But then once it was developed enough that I knew I really loved it, it was a bit like watching an Olympic ice skating performance ("...just try to keep it at this level...!")

thank you for taking the time to shear all the details

Thanks for playing along, @Daisys and Diamonds!

Congrats to you for this amazing work of art and THANK YOU for introducing me to this skillful artist!

Thank you! He was so humble and gracious to work with. I kinda expected a "do not disturb the maestro" vibe but he was so down-to-earth and cool to work with. I got the sense that he is more accustomed to being the man behind the curtain for lots of high-end things and now, late in his career, he gets to enjoy some actual gratitude and recognition from the end-users.

Great pairing expertly executed!! Enjoy!!

Thank you, @Slickk!

I love realistic naturalistic designs. Also love dragonflies.

Me, too! I worry that someone will ask what they "mean." I have been too timid to look it up. I hope it's not like death and vengeance or something -- I just like 'em to look at.

I closely tracked progress on IG! Gary just blew this project out of the water, and Inken selected an outstanding stone…what an incredible duo!

Thank you, @Cerulean! I know they have collaborated on a number of things.

I do think IG has made the world a little smaller. I don't quite trust gems on IG but it's hard to fake skillful carving and engraving in a close-up video!

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
I had already squeeee!ed out loud when I saw the title of your post but now that I see the execution of the piece I am struck completely silent, marveling. It's perfection. Dragonflies are some of the heroes of the garden where I live, (mosquito land USA,) and living jewels themselves to boot. This ring is one of the only pieces of jewelry I've ever seen that does them
justice.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
He does such cool stuff. I told him I'd need to start carrying a loupe around to fully appreciate the detail!

Thank you, @T L

Thank you, @stracci2000! ironically, I initially wanted a an engraved ring because the smooth, featureless ones collect door dings so fast. Now I want to "baby" this one since so much work went into it!

Yes, he has a few like that that I really love. I thought about "chickening out" and picking a tried-and-true design from his "back catalog" but he urged me to go for it on this (!) and convinced me that he could do exactly what I was looking for. I think he was almost as excited about the process as I was.

Thank you! And true -- it is an Art Nouveau-ish design element but not all flowing lines and whiplash. I looked at many (many) Art Nouveau dragonfly pieces -- they are all pins where there is unlimited real estate for embellishment and no structural constraints. Plique-a-jour wing details, etc. That would not "fly" for a ring!

Thank you, @kenny! High praise from you!

Thank you, @yssie! It's not 100% to my kids' taste so I joked they'll toss it on the "sell" pile (with all the "brown furniture") when the time comes. I know they won't! Hopefully it won't be remembered as that ring that Dad loved but was too afraid to wear...

Oh, now I get the handle! Yes, I feel very lucky to have found him for this project. It was fun to "follow along at home" while he posted on IG. But then once it was developed enough that I knew I really loved it, it was a bit like watching an Olympic ice skating performance ("...just try to keep it at this level...!")

Thanks for playing along, @Daisys and Diamonds!

Thank you! He was so humble and gracious to work with. I kinda expected a "do not disturb the maestro" vibe but he was so down-to-earth and cool to work with. I got the sense that he is more accustomed to being the man behind the curtain for lots of high-end things and now, late in his career, he gets to enjoy some actual gratitude and recognition from the end-users.

Thank you, @Slickk!

Me, too! I worry that someone will ask what they "mean." I have been too timid to look it up. I hope it's not like death and vengeance or something -- I just like 'em to look at.

Thank you, @Cerulean! I know they have collaborated on a number of things.

I do think IG has made the world a little smaller. I don't quite trust gems on IG but it's hard to fake skillful carving and engraving in a close-up video!

If you ever want to adopt a bossy 31yr old woman and leave this ring in your will to me, you know where to find me :lol:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool and gorgeous ring. Looks wonderful on you!

Even if it ends up to symbolize death and vengeance from some obscure reference from someone somewhere. :lol:

Thank you for allowing us to see your journey - always fascinating!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos show the incredible workmanship so well. Stunning ring!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is kewl!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have to wear it @LilAlex .
you have to keep up with Mrs LilAlex !

and ill take all that brown furniture !

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dragonflies are some of the heroes of the garden where I live, (mosquito land USA,) and living jewels themselves to boot.

You've got even more reason to love them than I do! For me, I think of the mountain lakes where we hike and the hot, (formerly) lazy days of summer on the other coast.

This is seriously one of the coolest rings I’ve ever seen!

Thank you, @Timor!

Very cool and gorgeous ring.

Thank you, @Rfisher!

The photos show the incredible workmanship so well

Yes! I can't wait to get some good ones of my own...but I'm usually natural-light-only so my head gets in the way, etc. Everything is perfect 'til I look through the viewfinder.

That is kewl!

Thank you, @Karl_K!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That's cool, and beautiful. A twofer.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Incredible! I was about to ask what the significance of dragonflies was for you but I see that they remind you of wonderful times out on hikes and summer nights. Gary has amazing work - I randomly found him through an ad or other shared post on IG and had him do some restoration work on a band for me. His hand fabricated pieces are so cool to see the process.

You have a special ring there! Enjoy it in health.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a special piece!!!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
“A little honey” for his Victorian tiara post, love it!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fantastic ring, congrats!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I can't imagine that ring being anything other than what it is, which to me says it is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is AMAZING!!! I love love love the dragonfly detail work on the ring and the stone is lovely :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results