shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel dragonfly man's ring / Gary Roe and Inken

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Have never done this -- posted a "making of" thread -- but it looked like fun and the professionals did such a great job on this project that I can't resist! This was a custom piece with a stone sourced from Inken and amazing metalwork by Gary Roe in Maine. Inken was kind enough to point me in Gary's direction for the very specific type of carving/engraving work I had in mind.

It started with this spinel from Inken. I had been looking for a vivid orangish-red spinel in a cushion or step cut (with an entirely different project in mind) when Inken alerted me to this one -- while acknowledging that it was not at all what I was looking for but was still very cool. Definitely an unusual color and shape -- but I liked the "racetrack" oval instead of the more conventional oval. The color is not super-saturated and maybe even a hint of gray but it's appealing and even more so in person -- a kind of dusty rose outdoors and a more coppery color in incandescent light and, oddly, under fluorescent light, too. I checked with spouse and kids and no one felt it was particularly unmasculine (showing my insecurity here). And it's big -- over 5 ct and 15mm (!) across. Shallow but no window and well-cut and very clean.

Spinel 5.57 ct long oval.png

I had admired Gary Roe's amazingly detailed botanical-themed, hand-engraved, Art Nouveau-looking metalwork (his IG is gary_roe_ ) and I was always struck that the leaves resembled dragonfly wings. (See this example below with emerald and YG.)

GR emerald YG.png

So I asked Gary if he could do something similar to this ring, above, with this spinel but stylize a dragonfly wing/body motif. He was super-excited about the idea and we were off and running. We each sketched a design and I sent him mine -- and we were on exactly the same page, idea-wise (although mine looked like it was drawn by an impatient five-year-old.) Two segmented bodies along the shank and pairs of wings meeting/overlapping at the half-way point around the stone. I was a little reluctant about proceeding because there is so much hokey dragonfly stuff that looks nothing like an actual dragonfly. I love nature and insects and natural history and it figures in my job so I did not want a fakey dragonfly. (I know they have a role and a place but it was just not what I wanted to stare at on my finger.) I sent Gary some inspo photos and diagrams of actual dragonflies and the shape and wing-veining -- plus some examples from an Art Nouveau jewelry IG of priceless museum and "private-collection" jewels that a PSer pointed me to last year (IG bijouxancienslyon). I did not need to do all this -- Gary was way ahead of me. He reassured me that he was "very confident" (his words!) in his ability to carve and engrave a dragonfly. And I don't think I said another word!

I initially wanted rose gold but he prefers his "royal" alloy and of course gave me the choice. I thought it might look more authentic Art Nouveau-y in YG over RG.

So my jaw dropped when he sent me these photos from the almost-completed ring (before mounting the stone).

20220713_153029.jpg
20220713_153020.jpg

I love the "architectural" look of the body segments -- they extended around the entire shank and meet on the palm side. And it contrasts so nicely with the intricate wing engraving.

I held my breath for the bezel mounting since wavy/wobbly bezels are a pet peeve of mine -- and could be super-obvious on a near-precision-cut stone like this one and with such long straight sides. I also briefly wondered if the ring was too "nice" for my funky-but-not-top-of-the-class spinel -- but he assured me it would look great with that stone.

Here are some shots of the finished ring -- showing the clean bezel first. All photos are from Gary and/or his IG. Only the last two mediocre ones are my on-the-finger shots. I love how it's "accurate" but not Gothic/creepy (in my eyes). Spouse is kinda sensitive to bug stuff and she loves it -- she encourages me to wear it!

DF_ring_2.jpg
DF_ring_3.jpg
DF_ring_4.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg

And closing it out with a terrible outdoors-in-the-shade hand shot of mine until I can use my "real" camera.

IMG_8878.jpg

And this wildly out-of-focus one to highlight the mirror-polish on the spinel -- the leaves reflected in the table are 10 or 20 feet away.

IMG_8876.jpg

It was such a pleasure to work with Inken again on this project. Sometimes I think the best thing she does -- while she is painstakingly looking for some unicorn we have set her off in search of -- is find something we are not looking for that is at least as cool.

And what a joy to work with Gary Roe for the first time. So much incredible talent but also so much enthusiasm and so collaborative -- it was really fun and energizing. He just ran with it -- and in exactly the right direction. He kept me posted every step of the way (I omitted a few steps above) -- showed me the wax carving and then the casting after some clean-up but still pre-engraving (which was so incredible that I wondered if I should just leave well enough alone!). Then after the engraving and after the mounting (confirming the bezel was perfect).

Edit: I have no relationship with either vendor -- just a happy customer.

omg! I’m so tickled that this was your ring! I remember seeing it on Gary’s IG and being absolutely in love with it.

I’m also tickled that you referenced the emerald ring I got from Gary! He does amazing work.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!! Your ring is stunning. Love the color of the stone with the YG and the design.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Love this! The dragonflies translated so well and look very architectural. Stunning piece!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Amazing ring!!! The design & workmanship are truly stunning! I hope you wear it as often as possible because it's too exquisite to be hidden away from the world.

Congratulations & wear it in good health!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow/ the detailing!! Wow.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That ring is fantastic!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have never done this -- posted a "making of" thread -- but it looked like fun and the professionals did such a great job on this project that I can't resist! This was a custom piece with a stone sourced from Inken and amazing metalwork by Gary Roe in Maine. Inken was kind enough to point me in Gary's direction for the very specific type of carving/engraving work I had in mind.

It started with this spinel from Inken. I had been looking for a vivid orangish-red spinel in a cushion or step cut (with an entirely different project in mind) when Inken alerted me to this one -- while acknowledging that it was not at all what I was looking for but was still very cool. Definitely an unusual color and shape -- but I liked the "racetrack" oval instead of the more conventional oval. The color is not super-saturated and maybe even a hint of gray but it's appealing and even more so in person -- a kind of dusty rose outdoors and a more coppery color in incandescent light and, oddly, under fluorescent light, too. I checked with spouse and kids and no one felt it was particularly unmasculine (showing my insecurity here). And it's big -- over 5 ct and 15mm (!) across. Shallow but no window and well-cut and very clean.

I had admired Gary Roe's amazingly detailed botanical-themed, hand-engraved, Art Nouveau-looking metalwork (his IG is gary_roe_ ) and I was always struck that the leaves resembled dragonfly wings. (See this example below with emerald and YG.)

GR emerald YG.png

So I asked Gary if he could do something similar to this ring, above, with this spinel but stylize a dragonfly wing/body motif. He was super-excited about the idea and we were off and running. We each sketched a design and I sent him mine -- and we were on exactly the same page, idea-wise (although mine looked like it was drawn by an impatient five-year-old.) Two segmented bodies along the shank and pairs of wings meeting/overlapping at the half-way point around the stone. I was a little reluctant about proceeding because there is so much hokey dragonfly stuff that looks nothing like an actual dragonfly. I love nature and insects and natural history and it figures in my job so I did not want a fakey dragonfly. (I know they have a role and a place but it was just not what I wanted to stare at on my finger.) I sent Gary some inspo photos and diagrams of actual dragonflies and the shape and wing-veining -- plus some examples from an Art Nouveau jewelry IG of priceless museum and "private-collection" jewels that a PSer pointed me to last year (IG bijouxancienslyon). I did not need to do all this -- Gary was way ahead of me. He reassured me that he was "very confident" (his words!) in his ability to carve and engrave a dragonfly. And I don't think I said another word!

I initially wanted rose gold but he prefers his "royal" alloy and of course gave me the choice. I thought it might look more authentic Art Nouveau-y in YG over RG.

So my jaw dropped when he sent me these photos from the almost-completed ring (before mounting the stone).

20220713_153029.jpg
20220713_153020.jpg

I love the "architectural" look of the body segments -- they extended around the entire shank and meet on the palm side. And it contrasts so nicely with the intricate wing engraving.

I held my breath for the bezel mounting since wavy/wobbly bezels are a pet peeve of mine -- and could be super-obvious on a near-precision-cut stone like this one and with such long straight sides. I also briefly wondered if the ring was too "nice" for my funky-but-not-top-of-the-class spinel -- but he assured me it would look great with that stone.

Here are some shots of the finished ring -- showing the clean bezel first. All photos are from Gary and/or his IG. Only the last two mediocre ones are my on-the-finger shots. I love how it's "accurate" but not Gothic/creepy (in my eyes). Spouse is kinda sensitive to bug stuff and she loves it -- she encourages me to wear it!

DF_ring_2.jpg
DF_ring_3.jpg
DF_ring_4.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg

And closing it out with a terrible outdoors-in-the-shade hand shot of mine until I can use my "real" camera.

IMG_8878.jpg

And this wildly out-of-focus one to highlight the mirror-polish on the spinel -- the leaves reflected in the table are 10 or 20 feet away.

IMG_8876.jpg

It was such a pleasure to work with Inken again on this project. Sometimes I think the best thing she does -- while she is painstakingly looking for some unicorn we have set her off in search of -- is find something we are not looking for that is at least as cool.

And what a joy to work with Gary Roe for the first time. So much incredible talent but also so much enthusiasm and so collaborative -- it was really fun and energizing. He just ran with it -- and in exactly the right direction. He kept me posted every step of the way (I omitted a few steps above) -- showed me the wax carving and then the casting after some clean-up but still pre-engraving (which was so incredible that I wondered if I should just leave well enough alone!). Then after the engraving and after the mounting (confirming the bezel was perfect).

OMG. OMG. :kiss2:
:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
I absolutely LOVE this! I have so much dragonfly art in my house its a little embarrassing. but this is so freaking gorgeous. Almost makes me regret I don't have instagram...lol

this is true art, wear it in the best of health!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's cool, and beautiful. A twofer.

Thank you, @Begonia!
What a stone, and what workmanship!

Thank you!

I’m also tickled that you referenced the emerald ring I got from Gary! He does amazing work.

OMG your ring is amazing! So glad that is in the PS "family"! I hope there is a thread about that...? I love that style and still think "what if...?"
Love the color of the stone with the YG and the design.

Thank you, @kgizo! It's of course not a "trade ideal" color but the savings allowed for a bigger stone.

Love this! The dragonflies translated so well and look very architectural. Stunning piece!

Thank you, @emmy12! I even did this one without asking for your help! Thank you also for the prompt to put a link on the other thread!

My vote for jotw!

Thank you, @bludiva -- that's high praise!

Congratulations & wear it in good health!

Thank you, @Cinders, for the kind words and wishes!

Wow/ the detailing!!

Gary definitely put in some hours there! I know you veer toward very clean lines -- thanks for indulging me, @gregchang35!

That ring is fantastic!

Thank you, @RMOO!

this is true art, wear it in the best of health!

Thank you, @Arcadian, for the well wishes!

OK, I finally broke down and googled "dragonfly symbolism" and came up with this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 8.40.26 PM.png

On reflection, none (!) of these are words that describe me :lol-2:. OTOH, it's hard to find an adjective that the dragonfly does not symbolize in some random, unauthoritative internet blog. but at least it was all generally positive! Calling all the semioticians out there!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary has amazing work - I randomly found him through an ad or other shared post on IG and had him do some restoration work on a band for me. His hand fabricated pieces are so cool to see the process.

Thanks, @88_star. Excellent choice on the restoration work. He gets his hands on some amazing treasures!

What a special piece!!!

Thank you, @lovedogs! And thanks for coming on in the midst of a rough time.

“A little honey” for his Victorian tiara post, love it!

Gary's tiara? Yes, that's a wild one! As above, he is trusted with some lovely things!

Fantastic ring, congrats!

Thank you, @Gloria27!

I can't imagine that ring being anything other than what it is, which to me says it is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Thank you for the lovely sentiment, @bright&shiny!

I love love love the dragonfly detail work on the ring and the stone is lovely

Thank you, @Eli22!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@LilAlex clean lines are more my thing, but that kinda detail you have - I am loving!!! Congrats!!! Wear it well!!

I have seen some engraving work on watch bracelets, too- and I am drooling!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What a beautifully executed ring. Congrats!

budmanbudman10

Rough_Rock
Wow love the ring and love even more that it's a PSers! Saw on IG originally and was floored by the detail

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is INSANELY cool!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning. BEYOND stunning! I love it!

Congratulations!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t been on PS as much or commenting at all these days, but as I was scrolling these pictures I caught myself saying “love it” out loud — good reason to add a comment to the thread. Spectacular ring!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have seen some engraving work on watch bracelets, too- and I am drooling!

Yes -- my son was admiring that old Omega watch-case he did, seemingly just for kicks! Would love to do something like that someday!

What a beautifully executed ring. Congrats!

Thank you, @icy_jade!

Wow love the ring and love even more that it's a PSers! Saw on IG originally and was floored by the detail

Thanks, @budmanbudman10! In some ways, it's more detail than I can appreciate at arm's length. I need to hold it and turn it!

That is INSANELY cool!

Thank you, @monarch64!

BEYOND stunning!

Thank you, @mrs-b!

good reason to add a comment to the thread.

Thank you for breaking the silence, @123ducklings! Appreciate the kind words!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your idea was great, and the workmanship and execution of the vision perfect! :appl:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your idea was great, and the workmanship and execution of the vision perfect

Thank you so much, @voce! If anyone knows about executing a vision, it's you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOT the hell...this is incredible! :kiss2:

cheers--Sharon

You know I always enjoy seeing men take creative risks with their jewels! So impressed with this piece!! First, I'm a big critter fan, especially of dragonflies and our other winged friends. I also love the symbolism here, as DF's are at home on land, in water, and in the sky. Life is all about adapting. You and Gary collaborated beautifully together. This is a one-of-a-kind design, and so unique, yet you resisted the urge to overdo it. The stone is likewise a winner... very unusual color. I adore Inken, as you know. Kudos! Enjoy!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is incredible!

Thank you, @canuk-gal!

You know I always enjoy seeing men take creative risks with their jewels! So impressed with this piece!!

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! Wait you didn't just tell me how "brave" I was to wear that swimsuit, did you? :lol-2:

Yes, it was a step outside my comfort zone but I felt I was in good hands!

Was at my inlaws and saw this teapot that they keep on the wood stove to humidify the air. Swooped in for a closer look as I was avoiding other (food-prep) work before a get-together and saw it was a gorgeous dragonfly motif. And then I remembered that spouse and I got it for her maybe three decades ago (!). So I guess I have always had a thing for naturalistic dragonflies.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.58.14 PM.png

yet you resisted the urge to overdo it.

Tbh, it would have been cool to have perfectly contrasting eyes but so many dragonfly pieces have hokey (to me, at least) upward-facing "circle-eyes" that look like a kid's owl drawing. IRL, the eyes are almost hemispheres and face outward and forward. Now that would be a lot of work to carve from a stone!

It is fairly subtle on the hand -- looking straight down, you just see the stone and a "ball" on either end which you don't appreciate as a "bug head" until it is tilted a bit.

And, yes, definitely an unusual stone that I would not have bought from the photos alone, but Inken's "You really should see this one in person" convinced me it was unconventionally special.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was at my inlaws and saw this teapot that they keep on the wood stove to humidify the air. Swooped in for a closer look as I was avoiding other (food-prep) work before a get-together and saw it was a gorgeous dragonfly motif. And then I remembered that spouse and I got it for her maybe three decades ago (!). So I guess I have always had a thing for naturalistic dragonflies.

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.58.14 PM.png
To quote Bill Engvall - completely inappropriate to this context, mind - here’s your sign :bigsmile:

I really agree with @Autumn in New England, it would have been easy to overdo it. I fall into that trap myself all the time. I’m always jonesing for photorealism and my vendors pull me back because… Let’s be real, the line between the likes of JAR and Michelle Ong and #Caricature is awful thin sometimes :eek-2:

This piece is a study in restraint. In all the right ways. And I think it’ll wear beautifully with time because of that!! :love:

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! Wait you didn't just tell me how "brave" I was to wear that swimsuit, did you? :lol-2:

Yes, it was a step outside my comfort zone but I felt I was in good hands!

lol The opposite actually! The best pieces are the ones which creatively interpret an idea, but don't take it to garish lengths. I think this ring is the perfect example. To me, the beauty lies in the fact that the (very meaningful) details in the goldsmithing invite you in for a closer look. Subtle, at first, yes, but then an entire world of whimsy unto itself. And it's very masculine at the same time. In other words, you're rocking that swimsuit!
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To quote Bill Engvall - completely inappropriate to this context, mind - here’s your sign :bigsmile:

I actually had to look that up -- so ashamed. Especially considering that our family's "literary allusions" are mostly Simpsons, Thirty Rock, Peep Show, and Arrested Development. Oh, and a little Archer and Bojack, too. Pete Buttigieg, take your best shot!

I hope you're right -- time will tell!

lol The opposite actually!

Oh, that's a relief! I'm not the fashion risk type. Although it was a bit of a goldmine when my oldest son moved too far away and left his cast-offs and B-list clothes behind -- "One man's trash..." :P2

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

GR emerald YG.png

20220713_153029.jpg
20220713_153020.jpg

DF_ring_2.jpg
DF_ring_3.jpg
DF_ring_4.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

Wow, I’m finding this now after stumbling on Gary Roe’s work on Instagram. Fantastic ring, I’m looking forward to reading this thread in detail. Thanks for the detailed “ring journey”!

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I’m finding this now after stumbling on Gary Roe’s work on Instagram. Fantastic ring, I’m looking forward to reading this thread in detail. Thanks for the detailed “ring journey”!

This is the post that got me into Gary Roe's work! I eventually got a brooch from him, I love the organic themes and the workmanship is amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results