shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lovinggems texture of the right one looks slightly better but I'm unsure about that green. It could be like the one you returned or lean grey.

Can you get more photos in all different lighting?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@Silvermom not sure how prices compare with your US seller, they are near 10k usd. I think your bangles has much nicer colours though.

@ChaiK thank you, yes the right one is slightly more, the left one is sold. I keep on looking at mute colours but I do like the blue/green stormy weather play, but that's 4th on my list. Lighter base and more translucency will look brighter, that's first on my list. I want to test out the seller maybe I'll look for something cheaper.
Love to see more of your collection in the future.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl yes I should find something less expensive to test out the seller, it is blue green so probably has grey, seller says it's darker at night. I'll stop looking at these colours first, qing base is very tempermental.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Silvermom not sure how prices compare with your US seller, they are near 10k usd. I think your bangles has much nicer colours though.

@ChaiK thank you, yes the right one is slightly more, the left one is sold. I keep on looking at mute colours but I do like the blue/green stormy weather play, but that's 4th on my list. Lighter base and more translucency will look brighter, that's first on my list. I want to test out the seller maybe I'll look for something cheaper.
Love to see more of your collection in the future.

Thank you Loving. Those are really beautiful.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl yes I should find something less expensive to test out the seller, it is blue green so probably has grey, seller says it's darker at night. I'll stop looking at these colours first, qing base is very tempermental.

What is the colour you're aiming for?

I always think it needs to be at least two/three shades brighter than what you want, inorder to get what you want.

Love seeing photos of things you're considering though. So much fun!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
What is the colour you're aiming for?

I always think it needs to be at least two/three shades brighter than what you want, inorder to get what you want.

Love seeing photos of things you're considering though. So much fun!

Near colourless light bulb. That'll be a few years worth of jewelry budget. Good that I haven't bought jewellery for a few years...
Problem is they are all smaller sizes in order for them to be not so expensive so trying on smaller bangles for now. Secondly need to find a good seller so I'll test out some of their other bangles first. Might not find what I want but I do love looking at everything though.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lovinggems I'm super excited to see what you end up getting.

I'm a solid colour girl but it's super exciting to see your glowy adventures since I'm unlikely to embark on one myself.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A few weeks ago we were driving past Carlsbad so made an appointment with GIA to drop off DW's black jade necklace. I think I've previously posted photos here, but just in case =)2

Black Jade Bead Necklace 3.jpg

Black Jade Bead Necklace 2.jpg

We always suspected it was Nephrite and GIA confirmed that to be true. We found out that for bead necklaces GIA always tests a minimum of three beads for a cost of $150. Here's a copy of the GIA cert.

Black Jade Bead Necklace GIA Nephrite.jpg

I asked my contact there why the cert didn't say anything about treatment. She had to go ask the lab and was told that Nephrite Jade is not customarily treated so they only list a treatment if they find it. On the other hand Jadeite Jade is so often found to be treated they make a point of saying so when they don't find any treatment.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
WOW! I just went to visit the jade counter in our local Neiman Marcus department store and saw a jade bead necklace there that had a price tag of $79,000. It had a nice color green but the beads were very tiny. Can you even imagine that someone would pay $79,000 USD for a tiny green jade bead necklace. Has the price of jade gone up that much lately.....yikes!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I did a bad thing and splurged a bunch on Etsy. I think some of these certificates indicate treated jade because they don't say A type. What do you guys think?
Ones I think are fake certs or treated real jadeite... They say "natural color" instead of describing an actual color :/
PXL_20210713_022610997.jpg
Ones I think are real are below...
PXL_20210713_022715140.jpg
Could someone familiar with mainland China labs give feedback?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
@voce you're right the first 4 aren't real certificates.
I've read you need to check the back of the certificates too.

Website of NGTC

NQTC
My oval from ebay has the same cert, I have doubts it's an authorised testing center. My bangle is only a size tester so wasn't expecting it to be real.

Last edited:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I did more research, under magnification, the NQTC cert, that's not how they usually describe jadeite in a proper certificate.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I give up. This is why I didn't buy jade until this year, too many fakes and hard to tell. I've tested them for hardness, but beyond that I need to get another UV light to check for treatments.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Ugh. I give up. This is why I didn't buy jade until this year, too many fakes and hard to tell. I've tested them for hardness, but beyond that I need to get another UV light to check for treatments.

No Voce, don't give up. Everyone buys fakes in the beginning. When you do get one you love and with no issues, you will be so happy. Hang in there, we all went through this.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Best to return and buy another. If you're in the US can take it to GIA and get the new one tested.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce have you tried one of the reliable vendors like Kathy Jade, All about Jade, YokdeeJadeite, Ultimate Jadeite

They're also great for getting a feel of prices, albeit with a slight mark up.

What are the prices like of the pieces you're buying? Especially the super green ones. If it's too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

voce

Ideal_Rock
No Voce, don't give up. Everyone buys fakes in the beginning. When you do get one you love and with no issues, you will be so happy. Hang in there, we all went through this.
Thanks. I'm still learning about recognizing fakes. I was focusing on the hardness, and the sound compared with the ones I got from Burmesedaze that are type A. I'm learning to recognize the coarse grain stuff that tends to get treated often.

Best to return and buy another. If you're in the US can take it to GIA and get the new one tested.
Yes, I will think about a return. The person who sold the four more obvious treated ones, has changed the shop policy and is no longer honoring returns. A couple other bracelets were bought from someone in the UK, so I may not go through with shipping them back depending on how the conversation goes.

Definitely plan on taking the nicer ones to GIA for testing once I have the chance.

@voce have you tried one of the reliable vendors like Kathy Jade, All about Jade, YokdeeJadeite, Ultimate Jadeite

They're also great for getting a feel of prices, albeit with a slight mark up.

What are the prices like of the pieces you're buying? Especially the super green ones. If it's too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.
Well, the cheapest ones are like $60, obviously a treated piece. A couple lavender ones have been between $500 and $600 (after a sale discount, since I'm aware that lavender jade bangles in my size range start at $700 normal price for reputable vendors).

I'm limiting myself somewhat in terms of budget and have been buying the mid range ones from what looked like legit shops. I have plans to buy more expensive pendants and rings from Yokdee Jadeite, Jadeite Room, and Ultimate Jadeite, but at some point in the future when I've saved up since money for this. It seems anything that comes with a GIA certificate is really expensive, and even some icy ones from those three trusted vendors are only set in silver for rings. I just don't have the budget for really nice stuff since it's all going to planned projects for my faceted CS.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Especially the super green ones. If it's too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Yeah this. And I also ask re: cert before buying and stick to certain vendors because there are just too many fakes out there.

While I do pay more, I figure the cost vs risk of buying fakes that I lose money on or stuff that I dont like and cannot return balances out after a while.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I have a query about icy jadeite and would be grateful for any opinions.

I very rarely want to buy an icy bangle, unless it has colour. I was wondering what icy jadeite really is.

So this is 冰透起荧光 (icy with a glow) which can fetch up to near 10K usd of even more if it is really very icy glass or a Muna (I am clueless as to what is truly icy glass, so I cannot appreciate the high prices for these. To me, these have zero colour and I would not look them at all).

1626346928581.png

And this is 冰透 (icy clear) and the advert says it is like dripping water (doh, this is beginning to sound like the lawyers in an argument) at 500 usd:

1626347011637.png

And then there is this one here (oh, the icy green one on the left-most has sold, by the way, and I hope it is a pser who has bought it).

1626347198467.png

Does anyone think that the fat bangle on the uppermost of the wrist, the oval, is 冰透起荧光 (icy with a glow)?

Vendor says it is. I am so in-between yes and no and would be grateful for your thoughts.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
冰透起荧光

This will glow in light. That is what 起荧光 means.

For the wrist pic am not seeing the glow from the pic. If it glows, the seller should be able to show you the glow.

Below is a ring that glows:

Icy jadeite ring from Kathy Jade coming in just nicely under the mark thanks to their anniversary sale :)

Love it cos it’s such a simple and wearable design

In the shade and a few in sunlight cos wanted to show the “ying guang” (what’s the English translation for that?)

3C344976-99B4-423B-A89E-FCB527FAA235.jpeg C5FB8D79-0079-4421-9C81-0533543AFF26.jpeg 84B156ED-B280-4C0B-A5F8-6A269F99157A.jpeg 603ABD63-699E-444F-A49F-884DB76FD13B.jpeg

The bangle in my avatar is icy and it’s pale pale green tho I really prefer colorless:

19EFA19E-8A2B-4CF9-9C0E-6BEF84761BE5.jpeg

This is why I like it:
70ADEF2A-2AB0-4026-BAB5-D239AFC60D27.jpeg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love the glow of your bangle!

@icy_jade , Do you simply ask her to show you the glow? LIke show me the glow? I sound dumb.

I am not sure how to do that. She has the the wording 起荧光 everywhere for this fatty icy bangle. I did so love the green glowing one on the left most but it is too big for me.

1626349025209.png

1626349046434.png
1626349060285.png

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok the new pics shows some glow. I think it glows, at least the translucent part will. Ask for video of bangle in sunlight and you should be able to see the glow.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok the new pics shows some glow. I think it glows, at least the translucent part will. Ask for video of bangle in sunlight and you should be able to see the glow.

Thank you so much. :)

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
The Chinese wechat vendors that I like to buy from would pull tricks like that. And when you ask too many questions, they don't reply and up their prices, as if Jadeite was in great demand. I always step away if they don't reply.

Have you ever bought from live sellers on facebook? I've been obsessed with watching their livestreams and with google translate I've made a few friends, learned how to haggle, and bought a 3 pieces for 300usd. Just something to jumpstart my collection since I'm still a student. I got a no-accident card down from 280usd to 200, which is exciting for me since I've never haggled before.

Before I plan on saving up for more this year, has anyone here bought from them?

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Icy, do you know if it has to be super clear to have a glow. I recently saw a bangle that was not exceptionally icy but seemed to have a glow in lights. Is that possible?

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
I usually see only see glowing in white jade. My jeweler has a bangle that really glows and it is beautiful. I did purchase this white jade ring that glows a bit.

fullsizeoutput_316a.jpeg

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, @Silvermom, watch Love is Sweet. It has 罗云熙 and 白鹿. Great chemistry.

I am going to binge-watch Imperial Coroner in the upcoming hols.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Oh, @Silvermom, watch Love is Sweet. It has 罗云熙 and 白鹿. Great chemistry.

I am going to binge-watch Imperial Coroner in the upcoming hols.

Thank you ChaiK....I will watch. Right now I am watching the Legend of the white Snake. So love these shows.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever bought from live sellers on facebook? I've been obsessed with watching their livestreams and with google translate I've made a few friends, learned how to haggle, and bought a 3 pieces for 300usd. Just something to jumpstart my collection since I'm still a student. I got a no-accident card down from 280usd to 200, which is exciting for me since I've never haggled before.

Before I plan on saving up for more this year, has anyone here bought from them?

Yeah. The year before Covid 2020 was all about Live shows. I just have no time now to do it. I think pages 50 to 80 on this thread documents how we went mad over live shows. :knockout:

I love buying from this vendor:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results