shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Regarding the Hutton beads, here are some better photos that show their beauty and luminosity. In the case of this necklace, I believe the high price has to do with the how perfectly matched the colours of the beads are, the translucency and their provenance. Glowiness is probably not a requisite for this necklace’s desirability, although I bet it would look glowy if taken out of a dark auction house and into the sunlight. 25F52FA2-22B3-468B-9258-FA50E3F17FDB.jpeg D59F40C1-F93B-49EA-B492-2361996C9E21.jpeg

I want this necklace! Glow or not glow.....LOL.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I want this necklace! Glow or not glow.....LOL.

@Silvermom , I think if you take yours out in the sun, yours glows.

And, it is bright green on its own, so yeah, that is how it glows slightly in normal light.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
@Silvermom , I think if you take yours out in the sun, yours glows.

And, it is bright green on its own, so yeah, that is how it glows slightly in normal light.

Thank you ChaiK, So I took it outside and it did get a little brighter however, I am looking for a glow on it like Icy's ring. LOL Maybe it is just that colors don't glow as much as whites. I wonder if that could be it? I will be viewing the show you have suggested and can't wait to get to it. I have to finish the Legend of the White Snake first though. My eyes are getting all discombuberated with all this reading. LOL

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@jadenewbie, I like to bargain. A lot.

Sometimes, if 5800 rmb, I would say 1200 rmb. Because it is not good texture (going by your pictures), I need to set it, the size is not great, there are sale and postage costs, etc.

I usually get the vendor to do the setting and of course I pay setting fees.

I have hardly bought any white or transparent icy jadeite via LS.

The exception to colour was a Muna jadeite flower for around 1200 rmb but that was 2 years ago.

I cannot see the pictures clearly. I would say the white card is around 600 to 1000 rmb. I would not pay more. I am not a valuation expert. I am thinking of my pieces and the receipts for them and that is about how much I would pay and did pay for many of my pieces on LS.

I was not there at the show to hear what the jadeite you showed was like, so I think my comments may not be completely valid.

I would say if you like a piece, push for more than 50% off. And if vendor says no, walk away. Next time, the vendor also learns not to jack prices up. Sometimes, the people in the show will say lovely and beautiful, just so you buy first. Then they get discounts off the back of your purchase and this happens. A lot. So be aware of the friends you make on LS. Learn from them, buy what you like and don't always take their word for it.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ChaiK, So I took it outside and it did get a little brighter however, I am looking for a glow on it like Icy's ring. LOL Maybe it is just that colors don't glow as much as whites. I wonder if that could be it? I will be viewing the show you have suggested and can't wait to get to it. I have to finish the Legend of the White Snake first though. My eyes are getting all discombuberated with all this reading. LOL

Colours do glow. Even the glut ones, as much as the whites or even more.

I steer clear of white jadeite, even if they are touted to be icy, and I don't really take 外行看色,内行看种 too seriously. It's all personal, and not critical of differences.

I do think the metal backing improves colour (an LS vendor did tell me once that they like to do this for colour and improvement of texture), and some vendors do it so that part of the backing covers the resin they use. . It's in some GIA presentation somewhere on this forum. Sometimes, the metal backing is used because the jadeite is too thin to stand on its own as a pendant.

I hope you find jadeite at the prices you like. Colour and texture.

Happy watching.

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

I steer clear of white jadeite, even if they are touted to be icy, and I don't really take 外行看色,内行看种 too seriously. It's all personal, and not critical of differences.

I hope you find them at the prices you like. Colour and texture.

Happy watching.

Thank you ChaiK, I like you like color. I am thinking of getting a bangle from the jeweler that I always buy from but haven't decided yet. It is not as colored as I would like it to be but it is different. If I had my way I would definitely love to have the Hutton bead necklace. Unfortunately, it is a bit out of my budget. LOL.......Shucks

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

I do think the metal backing improves colour (an LS vendor did tell me once that they like to do this for colour and improvement of texture), and some vendors do it so that part of the backing covers the resin they use. . It's in some GIA presentation somewhere on this forum. Sometimes, the metal backing is used because the jadeite is too thin to stand on its own as a pendant.

I hope you find jadeite at the prices you like. Colour and texture.

Happy watching.

P.S. What do these chinese words mean? Sorry ChaiK I don't have a translate feature on my computer. Thanks and sorry for being a humbug.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I should have explained more about what my friend who is a jeweler had to say which I sometimes wonder about. He said that the backing is used to enhance the stone and if you really want to be sure that you have the quality of the stone that you are buying you should purchase one without the backing. Only then can you be sure. So I have always gone by his advice without questioning it although I have often thought about it. He said a nice stone will be nice even without the backing.

Ok I see where your jeweler friend is coming from. And yes for unknown sellers or uncertified pieces, loose is definitely better as you have cheats that resin fill hollow pieces and then cover the back. Or set really thin slivers of jadeite with backing to make the piece look thicker.

But the reality is that a backing does make a nice piece look even better (if it has that effect) so if you go to stores, and see nice rings or pendants with backing, then what do you do right? So I think need to be somewhat flexible with his advice but for a lay person, his advice make sense but it’s not a firm rule if you get what I mean.

All pics from

Bean

豆种​

86514EE1-B730-4C11-9A6C-E28A2D8429A1.jpeg
69579CF6-C9EB-4CD1-A2B0-767F1451A720.jpeg
D5A7494C-F4CE-4E30-9D1D-42B8D90DA2C7.jpeg

Glutinous/taro

糯种​

7A026A25-8A2F-4284-A7AD-40F5533523BC.jpeg
5198A417-A8F4-4156-8B14-A7EBC02D4632.jpeg

Icy

冰种​

2AD5A302-08EB-4DD3-86C0-31C2E98DFE38.jpeg
2A108636-A2EB-4982-809E-77FD9DC9CD48.jpeg

To explain what I mean… there are some “types” of jadeite that I personally do not like, no matter how intense the color. So like the examples below, they have color and the green is intense for the first one right? But that over an icy colorless piece, I would pick the icy colorless piece.

0C11B3DB-3C9E-4FBF-9671-CF5858F73837.png 2BAD094F-035B-485F-8C97-8CF5E6680E85.png

But if these were instead all icy types, then of course I would pick them over a colorless icy piece. I mean just imagine an icy one in that first color right? Even an icy one in the 2nd less intense green will be stunning.

Personal preferences and all of course. But that’s what I mean when I say color above all else is a simplification in my earlier post.

Not always. Gross simplification. Compare icy bangles vs lower type (opaque) color bangles. The icy bangles are usually way more pricey right?

The saying I’ve heard is:
外行看色,内行看种

It sort of translates into amateurs look at color and experts look at type.

Am not saying to go for type above everything else, but frankly if you have seen enough jade, then color itself isn’t enough… there is a difference between lower type jade and jade with good water/type.

But of course, a good green but maybe not so icy vs a colorless super icy piece? The green one will be pricier. And individual preferences vary of course. But just want to say that color above all else is really a gross simplification. I actually no longer like “dry” looking jade, no matter how nice the color is.

Last edited:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Ok I see where your jeweler friend is coming from. And yes for unknown sellers or uncertified pieces, loose is definitely better as you have cheats that resin fill hollow pieces and then cover the back. Or set really thin slivers of jadeite with backing to make the piece look thicker.

But the reality is that a backing does make a nice piece look even better (if it has that effect) so if you go to stores, and see nice rings or pendants with backing, then what do you do right? So I think need to be somewhat flexible with his advice but for a lay person, his advice make sense but it’s not a firm rule if you get what I mean.

All pics from

To explain what I mean… there are some “types” of jadeite that I personally do not like, no matter how intense the color. So like the examples below, they have color and the green is intense for the first one right? But that over an icy colorless piece, I would pick the icy colorless piece.

0C11B3DB-3C9E-4FBF-9671-CF5858F73837.png 2BAD094F-035B-485F-8C97-8CF5E6680E85.png

But if these were instead all icy types, then of course I would pick them over a colorless icy piece. I mean just imagine an icy one in that first color right? Even an icy one in the 2nd less intense green will be stunning.

Personal preferences and all of course. But that’s what I mean when I say color above all else is a simplification in my earlier post.

Thank you Icy. I didn't mean to say that you should buy loose stones. I meant to say that I like my stones set in settings where the back is completely visible. If you look at the GIA video that prs posted a few posts ago and click to the 46.48 spot on the video the lady pretty much explains why I don't buy covered pieces of jade. I think it is because I only buy from my local seller and she has everything I buy from her certified by Hong Kong Jade and Stone Lab and she gives me the certificate included in the purchase. Even at that I prefer to have my stones naked. LOL I would love to buy from another seller but am afraid that I might be scammed and being that I am such a coward, I have not been lucky enough to find one. I think that with jade you are lucky if you can find someone that you trust. Today has been a fun day for me because I learned so much. Thank you for helping with my education. You are just too cool Icy.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
only buy from my local seller

Who is your local seller? Can share share?

Actually if the stone is certified by a reliable lab like the HK one, I think should be ok right? But I don’t trust the China labs.

—————-

Anyway whoever is reading this, end of the day verify, then study more and form your own opinion. I passed up on a few nice pieces when I first started because I read about the covered back thing - that’s back when I naively believed most of the things I read on Pricescope. Now I realize that it’s a collection of opinions from people around the world, me included so whatever you read, it’s no different from Reddit or other forums. Always good to verify and then form your own opinion. And personal preferences vary of course.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock

Actually if the stone is certified by a reliable lab like the HK one, I think should be ok right? But I don’t trust the China labs.

—————-

Anyway whoever is reading this, end of the day verify, then study more and form your own opinion. I passed up on a few nice pieces when I first started because I read about the covered back thing - that’s back when I naively believed most of the things I read on Pricescope. Now I realize that it’s a collection of opinions from people around the world, me included so whatever you read, it’s no different from Reddit or other forums. Always good to verify and then form your own opinion. And personal preferences vary of course.

Sure Icy, is there a way I can pm you on this website?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

—————-

Yeah, get it tested by a reputable lab and buy what you like that is legit. Ditto on passing up on pieces because of what you read here or what other people say.

I think it was such a fun journey of ups and downs and mistakes and I love every single piece I have bought for the lessons learnt and their unique beauty. Jadeite changes in light and that's why it is so beautiful.

Wow @icy_jade, those pieces you posted, if they had more ice in them, they would indeed be so beautiful. Ice and colour :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow @icy_jade, those pieces you posted, if they had more ice in them, they would indeed be so beautiful. Ice and colour :kiss2:

Oops I think the dark green is mawsitsit right? Anyway yeah if nice green and icy will be very nice. But any bangle like that in my size is RMB 6 figs so I can forget about getting one like that…

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
@jadenewbie, I like to bargain. A lot.

Sometimes, if 5800 rmb, I would say 1200 rmb. Because it is not good texture (going by your pictures), I need to set it, the size is not great, there are sale and postage costs, etc.

I usually get the vendor to do the setting and of course I pay setting fees.

I have hardly bought any white or transparent icy jadeite via LS.

The exception to colour was a Muna jadeite flower for around 1200 rmb but that was 2 years ago.

I cannot see the pictures clearly. I would say the white card is around 600 to 1000 rmb. I would not pay more. I am not a valuation expert. I am thinking of my pieces and the receipts for them and that is about how much I would pay and did pay for many of my pieces on LS.

I was not there at the show to hear what the jadeite you showed was like, so I think my comments may not be completely valid.

I would say if you like a piece, push for more than 50% off. And if vendor says no, walk away. Next time, the vendor also learns not to jack prices up. Sometimes, the people in the show will say lovely and beautiful, just so you buy first. Then they get discounts off the back of your purchase and this happens. A lot. So be aware of the friends you make on LS. Learn from them, buy what you like and don't always take their word for it.

The white card was opened at 1800, and since I've been watching LS for like 2 weeks only I'm still timid at bargaining. I offered 1600 lol and the anchor got it down to 1300. I'm new at jade and LS so that was pretty exciting. And I just bought a green barrel at singapore retail price so the bargain happiness was at 100% lol.

That 5800 to 1200 rmb bargain sounds crazy! But the learning curve is steep for that kind of bargain. Need to watch, observe, learn. And I don't speak a lick of the language too.

You bargain hard on YY LS only or also on wechat?

Last edited:

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
Saw this on YY LS just now. 26.7x14.2x4.7mm

Muna jade, priced at 6000. I was thinking pushing for 4000. Would that be good price? It's all arbitrary for me of course, I do not have the experience you guys have. And I haven't finished reading through the 90 pages of conversation, still in the 60s! ahahaha

Not buying anytime soon, probably this time next year. So I have a year to watch and learn.
1626623315401.png
1626623421164.png

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
Sharing my jade goals!
IMG_7796.JPG IMG_7795.JPG

@icy_jade this is what I meant by expensive barrels. A string might also be nice, I can imagine it peeking through my white coat! Of course, that price and display is after years of practice lol!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Sharing my jade goals!
IMG_7796.JPG IMG_7795.JPG

@icy_jade this is what I meant by expensive barrels. A string might also be nice, I can imagine it peeking through my white coat! Of course, that price and display is after years of practice lol!

Beware of this vendor that YY deals with. Most times, it is not YY. It is the vendor that pulls tricks and YY is just the middleman trying to sell. Pictures may not be accurate.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Saw this on YY LS just now. 26.7x14.2x4.7mm

Muna jade, priced at 6000. I was thinking pushing for 4000. Would that be good price? It's all arbitrary for me of course, I do not have the experience you guys have. And I haven't finished reading through the 90 pages of conversation, still in the 60s! ahahaha

Not buying anytime soon, probably this time next year. So I have a year to watch and learn.
1626623315401.png
1626623421164.png

I just remembered I did pay 7000 rmb for a pair of huge icy watery green/lavender streaky donuts (but it came down from 30 000 rmb on the LS. I recall this because the vendor refused to give me a pair of free green cabs to set the donuts after the sale - he said he was not making much) and 1200 rmb for a pair of fish. So yeah, I could decide to splurge on something that I like very much on LS.

I also think the 30 000 rmb figures they quote are not reasonable. So I bargain. They can quote those prices, I can also quote my offers, right ?

Buy what you like and if 4000 rmb is what you think is the right price, go for it. There is no right or wrong price. Just whether you like it enough to go all out for it? And is it reasonable for you?

These guys are on LS because they need to sell and therefore, 5800 to 1200 is not that insane. Good luck to them if they can sell it at high prices on LS.

I have been there and I know that dangerous heady feeling of wanting it at all costs......to be avoided really, but it is inevitable that I do fall into that trap at times and must try to shake it off. The difference is that I now have the pieces that I want, so it isn't that urgent anymore to buy.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oops I think the dark green is mawsitsit right? Anyway yeah if nice green and icy will be very nice. But any bangle like that in my size is RMB 6 figs so I can forget about getting one like that…

I actually would love that dark green in a bangle. Just not in a pendant or a ring cab. Mawsitsit or not, how vibrant as a bangle!:kiss2:

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
These guys are on LS because they need to sell and therefore, 5800 to 1200 is not that insane. Good luck to them if they can sell it at high prices on LS.

Thank you for this advice. My mindset has now shifted to "I must get it because these pieces are rare and will not turn up again" to "fight for my budget, there will be a vendor who will sell at the price I offer."

Now must learn how to fight. This 90 page thread has a lot of advice. Thank you so much @ChaiK

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
Beware of this vendor that YY deals with. Most times, it is not YY. It is the vendor that pulls tricks and YY is just the middleman trying to sell. Pictures may not be accurate.

The wechat store is also a vendor? I thought wechat was YY's inventory, not acting as a middle man. Does this mean I can also bargain hard?

50% minimum bargain, is that your general policy? And lower or higher based on your appraisal from experience?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The wechat store is also a vendor? I thought wechat was YY's inventory, not acting as a middle man. Does this mean I can also bargain hard?

50% minimum bargain, is that your general policy? And lower or higher based on your appraisal from experience?

She is the middle man and takes it from the factory. Sometimes, she may be selling stock she holds but most of it is from other vendors. She always says no to any bargaining on WeChat. Depends on item cost. If it is a big ticket item in the 10s of thousands of rmb, you could bargain, but WeChat prices are unlikely to go down more than 10 to 15% from my experience. Just walk away if price does not suit you. WeChat items are nicer, but also trickier to buy. You do need to be very very careful there.

More like how many times lower should I offer? I used to go to WeChat, look up prices and then decide. If similar fish costs 5000 on Wechat, I want it for 2500 on LS, or much lower, even if they quote 25 000 rmb. And if I liked it very much, I could say ok, 4000 rmb. I would never pay WeChat prices on LS.

You will also notice on WeChat that she changes prices from Monday to Friday on her items. It could be 4999 rmb today and that same piece could show up at 6999 rmb on Wednesday. And then 10999 rmb on Friday. I really hate that she does that. But she does, and no, you were not dreaming when you saw it at 4999 rmb two days ago.

Last edited:

jadenewbie

Rough_Rock
More like how many times lower should I offer? I used to go to WeChat, look up prices and then decide. If similar fish costs 5000 on Wechat, I want it for 2500 on LS, or much lower, even if they quote 25 000 rmb. And if I liked it very much, I could say ok, 4000 rmb. I would never pay WeChat prices on LS.

You will also notice on WeChat that she changes prices from Monday to Friday on her items. It could be 4999 rmb today and that same piece could show up at 6999 rmb on Wednesday. And then 10999 rmb on Friday. I really hate that she does that. But she does, and no, you were not dreaming when you saw it at 4999 rmb two days ago.

Thank you so much for your advice and experience. You've saved a student a lot of money and heartache. Jadeite is so complex and tricky, makes it fun. Allows for obsession though so need to have only controlled doses of obsession to have fun.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I actually would love that dark green in a bangle. Just not in a pendant or a ring cab. Mawsitsit or not, how vibrant as a bangle!:kiss2:

Will be dry… you know like not watery and not lively. It’s not an attractive look to me. Have seen before.

I used to hate it when jade sellers describe jade in metaphors to me but now I find it hard to control myself from doing the same.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
She always says no to any bargaining on WeChat. Depends on item cost. If it is a big ticket item in the 10s of thousands of rmb, you could bargain, but WeChat prices are unlikely to go down more than 10 to 15% from my experience. Just walk away if price does not suit you. WeChat items are nicer, but also trickier to buy. You do need to be very very careful there.

I’ve been obsessing over this bangle for over a week, sigh

9F452B25-A8CC-46C4-A9D8-DE6578504F93.jpeg

From YY and supposedly mid 5 fig. My size and princess round.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been obsessing over this bangle for over a week, sigh

9F452B25-A8CC-46C4-A9D8-DE6578504F93.jpeg

From YY and supposedly mid 5 fig. My size and princess round.

You've got the "ugly lighting" videos?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You've got the "ugly lighting" videos?

No, how do I ask for that?

Haven’t enquired about it to be honest. Just admire only. Always find the lack of pricing info to be a turnoff.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Will be dry… you know like not watery and not lively. It’s not an attractive look to me. Have seen before.

I used to hate it when jade sellers describe jade in metaphors to me but now I find it hard to control myself from doing the same.

Aww, no, some won't be. And it will be lively if it is the right combination of colour and water.

I guess it's a preference and subjective.

Jade moves in so many ways it is puzzling and pleasing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results