carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs have you tried Kathy jade

https://www.kathyjade.com/Store/Web...gory&key=d709ba74-399a-4b72-a4bf-a11968764c76

@icy_jade has bought there with great success and it may offer a higher level of comfort than how we transact with the vendors from China.
Yes, it's a very nice store and they actually have a US eBay site, KOOJADE, that carries most of their inventory. I've asked myself why I'm reluctant to use them, and I think it's because it takes away the thrill of the chase. DW and I love to hunt down hidden treasures at auctions and consignment stores. Sometimes even at thrift stores or small antique stores with estate jewelry sections. Buying from an international jewelry retailer would just be too easy! :lol-2:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it's a very nice store and they actually have a US eBay site, KOOJADE, that carries most of their inventory. I've asked myself why I'm reluctant to use them, and I think it's because it takes away the thrill of the chase. DW and I love to hunt down hidden treasures at auctions and consignment stores. Sometimes even at thrift stores or small antique stores with estate jewelry sections. Buying from an international jewelry retailer would just be too easy! :lol-2:

We are gem hunters of the same feather :) ditto that!

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this is how it went. I was looking for lavender. I saw this jadeite guy on Facebook. He has a WeChat ID. I added him on wechat. We went through a few cabs. Here they are.

mmexport1568190915582.jpg mmexport1568190953391.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093617_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093631_WeChat.jpg Screenshot_20190911-093651_WeChat.jpg

After several videos, pictures and questions, I chose the pair. He shone lights on all of them to look for lines beneath. And he advised which to pick.

After that, I sent him a design. I asked him to set. He made a drawing.
mmexport1568190357557.jpg

This isn't the finalised drawing because I changed diamond sizes (I dislike 5 li) and also asked him to tweak the bow somewhat. I cannot find final drawing. Too lazy to hunt. We then discussed weight of gold, diamond quality. How many diamonds. Cost of each diamond. Cost of gold. Type of gold. Workmanship costs. And we arrived at an approximate figure from which I bargained. I also made him agree in writing his returns refund policy - I said absolutely not buying if he would not agree to 90 days. He thought over it for a day or two and then said ok. I would say the workmanship is very good. I told him I did not want a lot of gold showing and he did his part. It also helps the whole thing is in white gold.

One thing he did was to tell me gold was 234 rmb but he charged me 254 rmb in the end. I queried and he explained that gold prices had risen. I paid the difference anyway and did not want to quibble with him. Also, he did not charge me postage which came up to 280 rmb for him. So all squared up.

And then he did his part. And I paid first for the cabs. He went to get certification from the Hong Kong labs. And when all work was done, I paid for the setting and he sent to me.

It was all in Mandarin. I had improved so much in my Mandarin after all the LS shows and buying with YY that I managed it all without sending him gibberish. Well at least the earrings look like how I want them to look.
@ChaiK the earrings are gorgeous and that is a wonderful story. You are a lioness of the jewelry world, and find the best sources wherever they are. Nomatter East or West, English or Mandarin, you will hunt them down! =)2

And not only do you hunt down the best sources, you make them dance to your tune! :lol:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no not really. I have paid a lot of tuition fees. I have overpaid and bought junk too. I have also scored bargains. Shopping online is not easy. I have learnt, that I must never be too eager or say yes instantly. I must still ask all the usual questions instead of rushing in. It is ok to and I should and must walk away from a nice fantastic piece, if the seller refuses to cooperate in sending pictures of photos. I think I have come a long way after 77 pages. And am still learning.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Dear jade lovers :)
I have been reading along and appreciate the knowledge shared between collectors. I cannot currently afford such nice pieces, and even if I could, I would be afraid of making many mistakes when buying jade as a beginner. I have purchased a couple of bangles and would like to get feedback if any comes to mind so I can know what to look for.

Two bangles shown. The larger thinner bangle is 65mm and sold as grade A nephrite from The Jade Mine. I did the gravity test and it came out as "3". I am happy with the look for the budget price and feel this is probably exactly as sold. It did not scratch with scissor blades.

The other, wide "Grade A" jadite bangle was from a random eBay or Etsy site. The specific gravity was 2.79. Just curious if it would be heavily treated grade B, or maybe a different stone all together? Edit, it (the wider bangle) did scratch with scissor blades.

PS: I love the nephrite in the sunlight! <3

Thanks in advance
20191101_084453.jpg

Attachments

• 20191101_084412.jpg
    20191101_084412.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20191101_092737.jpg
    20191101_092737.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20191101_092748.jpg
    20191101_092748.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
One more... I just discovered this cool translucent streak.

Attachments

• 20191101_102809.jpg
    20191101_102809.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 80

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely bangles

I think Paul of Jade Mine Canada on Etsy is very helpful and truthful. I once almost almost bought a Siberian nephrite bangle from him. My guess is that even at 3.29 specific gravity, the thin one looks legit. Especially if it has passed the scratched test.

I think jadeite is known to be at 3.34 +0.11. And I see other sites stating values between 3.24 to 3.43. Best to have it properly tested. Also with nephrite, its specific gravity is 2.95 + or - 0.05

The wider bangle, if it has scratched, is likely to have been treated.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid I still don't know enough to identify Type A jadeite just by looking at a photo. However I do know in the US market a GIA cert multiplies the price of any bangle by at least ten. In other words a $300 bangle suddenly becomes a $3,000+ bangle if it has a GIA cert. The fact the vast majority of bangles for sale in the US don't have certs has to tell us something!

@moneymeister I do hope yours are good, but a GIA cert for a bangle costs around $150 plus shipping, and that is the only way you will ever truly know for sure what you have.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@ChaiK thank you so much for taking the time to tell me your thoughts. I am comfortable that the thin one is "real" and as sold.

I am pretty sure the duller bracelet is heavily treated or something else. For the thinner bracelet, I am really in love with it. The other thicker one may be gifted to a friend who also loves gems/minerals.

I bought another on ebay this morning...as vintage, but this vendor just had estate jewelry. I'll see how this goes when I receive it and will do a gravity test. He said it tested as jade (vendor photo). s-l1600 (4).jpg

@prs yes! the costs are so high for a quality bangle. The nephrite bangle tests at the gravity weight of nephrite, so I am not worried about that one. The new bangle above...if it tests at correct gravity, I will send it in to get a grade from Mason Kay and save a little money. I am at a disadvantage that I wear a 62mm+, so (if I am correct/) almost guarantees any bracelet that big may be made for the western market.

As was mentioned in a previous post, there is something thrilling about the "hunt".

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
ugh...and that light green bangle was a 2.07 SG. How could it have tested as jade? Or is it weak grade b? I was going to send it back and I dropped it from couch to wooden floor and it now has a fracture line.

It was 100 dollar lesson. I am learning lessons about buying anything except by proven vendors.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
ugh...and that light green bangle was a 2.07 SG. How could it have tested as jade? Or is it weak grade b? I was going to send it back and I dropped it from couch to wooden floor and it now has a fracture line.

It was 100 dollar lesson. I am learning lessons about buying anything except by proven vendors.

Oh, just out of curiosity, did this one pass the scratch test? Thank you.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, just out of curiosity, did this one pass the scratch test? Thank you.

It did...no scratching with scissors. The only thing off was the SG.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@ChaiK thank you so much for taking the time to tell me your thoughts. I am comfortable that the thin one is "real" and as sold.

I am pretty sure the duller bracelet is heavily treated or something else. For the thinner bracelet, I am really in love with it. The other thicker one may be gifted to a friend who also loves gems/minerals.

I bought another on ebay this morning...as vintage, but this vendor just had estate jewelry. I'll see how this goes when I receive it and will do a gravity test. He said it tested as jade (vendor photo). s-l1600 (4).jpg

@prs yes! the costs are so high for a quality bangle. The nephrite bangle tests at the gravity weight of nephrite, so I am not worried about that one. The new bangle above...if it tests at correct gravity, I will send it in to get a grade from Mason Kay and save a little money. I am at a disadvantage that I wear a 62mm+, so (if I am correct/) almost guarantees any bracelet that big may be made for the western market.

As was mentioned in a previous post, there is something thrilling about the "hunt".

The better material are usually not available in larger sizes but bangles are actually cut in concentric circles if the material is intact, so larger sizes can be found up to well over 70mm and 80mm. E.g if a 52mm is carved out, add the thickness of say 6.5mm 1 side=13mm for both sides of the bangle, the next bangle cut outside of the first bangle will have an inner diameter of 52+6.5+6.5 which is 65mm. Many are smaller than 52 or thinner in thickness depending on the rough and maximum yield of jadeite preferred by rough buyer and cutter.

Usual diameters are 54-58. I've seen adults with very small hands and soft bones take a 48 too which is almost child size for bangle.

Ovals would usually be in smaller sizes than full circle bangles as that already indicates limited rough material hence needing to compromise in shape.

So size is a matter of whether the stores bring them in. Many collectors also like to collect large sizes to put on wooden stands as display items in shops and homes. I wear a 59.5 with a plastic baggie and vaseline but can take a 63 64 with ease. I have over 40 jadeite bangles now and still collecting :) spanning 59.x to a 70mm one.

Most are between 59.x to 62. I have a few photos posted on my thread among other baubles.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
It did...no scratching with scissors. The only thing off was the SG.

I normally use a large kitchen knife and run the blade across the bangle as if I was sharpening the knife. Or use the scissors and cut one blade across the bangle. That’s my scratch test.

How did you conduct your scratch test? I don’t know what Is the right or wrong way of doing the scratch test. Just comparing methods. Kind of like cooking. And normally, I scratch mine after I have had a certificate confirming it is jadeite.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ChaiK your new avatar has not gone unnoticed, but I have to admit I have been unable to figure out what it is.

It does look yummy though! :bigsmile:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I normally use a large kitchen knife and run the blade across the bangle as if I was sharpening the knife. Or use the scissors and cut one blade across the bangle. That’s my scratch test.

How did you conduct your scratch test? I don’t know what Is the right or wrong way of doing the scratch test. Just comparing methods. Kind of like cooking. And normally, I scratch mine after I have had a certificate confirming it is jadeite.

Hi ChaiK,
I scraped the blade of my scissors (sort of a digging motion) on the inside of the bangle to see if anything would rub off. Nothing at all on the light green bangle. The thicker green opaque bangle had some scratch residue. The thinner brightest green also did not respond to scratching.

I decided to retest the SG, but this time I used a gram kitchen scale instead of a hanging scale. The kitchen scale does not go down to decimals, so the measurement is approximate. I have a new scale on order.

Anyhow, with this method, I came up with 3.14 for the Jademine Nephrite, and both of the suspect bangles came in at 2.5 SG. The finish on the lightest bangle looks very etched and under a loupe.

Can I say again I love the green nephrite? It is so glossy and deep. Not perfect, but I love it so much. Also, don't laugh too hard but I swear it is getting greener ;-) Probably just the light.

20191111_103514.jpg
20191111_095142.jpg

20191111_083955.jpg

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
20191111_083955.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I love your thin green one. So beautiful. When you look at it, sometimes, the crystals change. And in different light, the green has a beautiful sheen. Now I want to buy run out and buy one from Paul. His had fat Siberian green jade bangles in my size the last time I asked - 49 mm.

He has a lot of large sizes.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
@prs, prawn dumplings are delicious. I had so much of it over summer. They're called Dim Sum.

Dim Sum is like Jadeite - variety galore:kiss2:

1573504533571.png

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I love your thin green one. So beautiful. When you look at it, sometimes, the crystals change. And in different light, the green has a beautiful sheen. Now I want to buy run out and buy one from Paul. His had fat Siberian green jade bangles in my size the last time I asked - 49 mm.

He has a lot of large sizes.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you ChiaK. I think you should! It's like meditation to look into it, always changing. Many very transparent spots to enjoy in the sunlight.

I am sure the next bangle will be another green nephrite, but a tighter fit. This is a 65, and easy to wear but hits everything. The 63 fits with a mild effort to put on. They have a BEAUTIFUL cuff, but it has a crack. I may find another to make a bangle too. But yet, so many beautiful deep jades.

This is a "b" grade/carver grade bangle. No treatment, but has inclusions. I think I like inclusions.
When some of my new pieces come, I will probably make a thread and outline my newbie mistakes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have tried studying this thread and Mr Google to try and understand Jade just a little bit. And I thought Opals were difficult. Like others I’ve always wanted a Jade bangle. Given the treatments, the lookalikes and outright “fakes” and needing a big size, what’s a naive gal to do?
so I went to ebay with $200, not to buy anything A grade, just to buy something I liked and something that fits. One day, with much more knowledge and $$$$, I’d like a proper one but in the meantime I have a pretty, of sorts, to enjoy.
It tests as Jadeite, doesn’t scratch with steel, it doesn’t ”glow” under UV, it’s heavy, cold and makes the right “ting” sound so hopefully its grade B.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I too have tried studying this thread and Mr Google to try and understand Jade just a little bit. And I thought Opals were difficult. Like others I’ve always wanted a Jade bangle. Given the treatments, the lookalikes and outright “fakes” and needing a big size, what’s a naive gal to do?
so I went to ebay with $200, not to buy anything A grade, just to buy something I liked and something that fits. One day, with much more knowledge and $$$$, I’d like a proper one but in the meantime I have a pretty, of sorts, to enjoy.
It tests as Jadeite, doesn’t scratch with steel, it doesn’t ”glow” under UV, it’s heavy, cold and makes the right “ting” sound so hopefully its grade B.

It does not help that once in a while in this thread, we digress with dumplings.

After 77 pages, I have bought what I wanted. So now, it’s back onto other gems

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yes I've got everything I want too. I went from no Jade to all the Jade. Peacing out now.

Things I've learnt along the way:

*Back covering is evil and often unnecessary. A total pain to clean

*I don't care for pendants. They make me itch. On the bright side little sis has amassed a lovely collection of pendants from my mistakes.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yes I've got everything I want too. I went from no Jade to all the Jade. Peacing out now.

Things I've learnt along the way:

*Back covering is evil and often unnecessary. A total pain to clean

*I don't care for pendants. They make me itch. On the bright side little sis has amassed a lovely collection of pendants from my mistakes.

And costs like 350 rmb more!!!! for a pair of earrings. Useless.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Apologies for the threadjack. I'll move this to a new newbie thread. @Bron357 you are more than welcome to figure this out with me. I'll tag you when I begin the thread. I sincerely hope that I will learn enough (eventually) to have clarity and a little more wisdom when buying jade. I appreciate your feedback very much! I am starting to understand this is a journey.

Enjoy those dumplings ;-)

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Apologies for the threadjack. I'll move this to a new newbie thread. @Bron357 you are more than welcome to figure this out with me. I sincerely hope that I will learn enough (eventually) to have clarity and a little more wisdom when buying jade. I appreciate your feedback very much! I am starting to understand this is a journey.

Enjoy those dumplings ;-)

Oh, no no, this is so fun. That bangle of yours is so lovely. It isn't my thread at all, as you can see. I started it because I was curious; still am.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, no no, this is so fun. That bangle of yours is so lovely. It isn't my thread at all, as you can see. I started it because I was curious, still am.

But here you are at the end of a long journey. You have an understanding of jade and your buying is done. I am flopping around and making mistakes everywhere and bringing in proof of my noobie status. LOL.

By being here, I pull you into the whole thing all over again, and that may be unkind. If I begin a new thread, you will be more than welcome to chime in!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Not really dragging me in. I had to buy a phoenix yesterday because of a mistake I made buying a pair of yellow jadeite butterfly wings. So I will pair the phoenix with the yellow butterfly wings and set with a heck load of diamonds to make a mismatched pair of earrings.

They will be charms for a pair of diamond huggies I have in rose gold.

Then that's it. Really not buying anymore jadeite.

I was after a flower but no luck. And then the phoenix came along. So ok. But that's really really it. Enough. Plus I am not a posty person. I like your bangle so much so I thought to tell you how beautiful it is.

Phoenix jade.jpg 1573562385147.png

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Not really dragging me in. I had to buy a phoenix yesterday because of a mistake I made buying a pair of yellow jadeite butterfly wings. So I will pair the phoenix with the yellow butterfly wings and set with a heck load of diamonds to make a mismatched pair of earrings.

Then that's it. Really not buying anymore jadeite.

I was after a flower but no luck. And then the phoenix came along. So ok. But that's really really it. Enough.

Phoenix jade.jpg 1573562385147.png

Oh. my. Word! The Phoenix is so beautiful! So transparent, would this be water jade?
I love the butterfly wings too.

What mistakes? :) It looks like everything is right.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. my. Word! The Phoenix is so beautiful! So transparent, would this be water jade?

For me, the term water jade or Muna jade has no significance. It is not as if we are talking about Kashmir sapphires - now this I would pay for and appreciate.

Having bought Muna jadeite and paid a premium for it, I can say that good jadeite is good jadeite.

If green, nice price, good texture, I like, then it has meaning for me.

I would neither set out to look for nor pay extra for a Muna or water jade. I will go for colour, texture, no clouds no cracks. I would be wary if a vendor tells me it is Muna or water jadeite - I will look at the extra price tag and will back off, unless colour is good and it is worth that price like any other piece of jadeite. I have learnt a huge lesson there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results