shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just had to join the buying spree. I'm making no comment on the quality of the jadeite ;)2

270 1 $0.15-0.25K.jpg
I sent this off to GIA and just got the results. The bad news: it is not Type A :cry2: The good news: it is Chalcedony Chrysoprase!!! o_O

No wonder it only cost $250! My term as a pretend jadeite expert is officially over. From now on it's definitely "NO CERT, NO BUY!!!!"

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I sent this off to GIA and just got the results. The bad news: it is not Type A :cry2: The good news: it is Chalcedony Chrysoprase!!! o_O

No wonder it only cost $250! My term as a pretend jadeite expert is officially over. From now on it's definitely "NO CERT, NO BUY!!!!"

Aww......I think it is a lovely bracelet. And chrysoprase is lovely. Show you mine tomorrow. It has a crazy glow and I reckon a good substitute for jadeite.

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww......I think it is a lovely bracelet. And chrysoprase is lovely. Show you mine tomorrow. It has a crazy glow and I reckon a good substitute for jadeite.
Whilst we wait patiently for Chaik to show us her chrysoprase =) here are a couple of photos of a magnificent chrysoprase bead necklace we came across in a jewelry store at the Coast:

Chrysoprase Bead Necklace 1.jpg Chrysoprase Bead Necklace 2A.jpg

With 15mm beads, and diamond and matching enamel roundels, this is definitely a stunning statement piece. Maybe a good substitute for jadeite, but with a $13,900 price tag, we regretfully resisted temptation. However every time I look at the photos, I think we might have made the wrong decision!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
20190621_175805.jpg

My chrysoprase. Light is a bit yellow. I will try and find a better picture.

I reckon the chrysoprase is much better value than a bad piece of expensive jadeite that is full of clouds and cotton and a dull flat green colour.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Whilst we wait patiently for Chaik to show us her chrysoprase =) here are a couple of photos of a magnificent chrysoprase bead necklace we came across in a jewelry store at the Coast:

Chrysoprase Bead Necklace 1.jpg Chrysoprase Bead Necklace 2A.jpg

With 15mm beads, and diamond and matching enamel roundels, this is definitely a stunning statement piece. Maybe a good substitute for jadeite, but with a $13,900 price tag, we regretfully resisted temptation. However every time I look at the photos, I think we might have made the wrong decision!

Oh, and no, this USD13 900 price tag for chrysoprase is a bit high. Maybe you can bargain to half or more than half.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs The absurdly finest hardstones of the world are shocking like that... I'd want to know that the beads are not treated & four figures on the price tag too, although the letter may not happen - the taste is out there... on par with the habit of reading the classics in original, methinks - or just owning bilingual editions, just less uncommon than the quasi impossible goods. [admitting to the above-mentioned] Schepps does these things.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20190621_175805.jpg

My chrysoprase. Light is a bit yellow. I will try and find a better picture.

I reckon the chrysoprase is much better value than a bad piece of expensive jadeite that is full of clouds and cotton and a dull flat green colour.
What a gorgeous, exquisite ring!! Are the halo stones tourmalines? They provide a perfect enhancement to the chrysoprase.

@ChaiK chrysophase had never even registered with me before this, but I agree completely it is much better value and much more beautiful than poor quality jadeite. I guess people tend to look down on chrysophase, just like amethyst, because it is so inexpensive. However the beauty of your ring, and that necklace tells me there are stunning examples out there worth pursuing.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and no, this USD13 900 price tag for chrysoprase is a bit high. Maybe you can bargain to half or more than half.
Yes, I agree, that's why we didn't buy it. I'm thinking maybe $3-5K for the beads alone. The roundels are exquisite and the most expensive part of the necklace, and likely cost thousands to make. However you can hardly see them from more than five feet away, so IMHO a bit of a waste of money on what would otherwise be a not too expensive necklace. There are no chrysophase bead necklaces of similar quality available for comparison, but I'm thinking $5-7K might be about the right price for this necklace?

Sorry all for the thread drift away from jadeite!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I agree, that's why we didn't buy it. I'm thinking maybe $3-5K for the beads alone. The roundels are exquisite and the most expensive part of the necklace, and likely cost thousands to make. However you can hardly see them from more than five feet away, so IMHO a bit of a waste of money on what would otherwise be a not too expensive necklace. There are no chrysophase bead necklaces of similar quality available for comparison, but I'm thinking $5-7K might be about the right price for this necklace?

Sorry all for the thread drift away from jadeite!

If this necklace is 13 900 usd, I think your bracelet, you set with diamonds And then you can value it at 9 000 usd. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous, exquisite ring!! Are the halo stones tourmalines? They provide a perfect enhancement to the chrysoprase.

@ChaiK chrysophase had never even registered with me before this, but I agree completely it is much better value and much more beautiful than poor quality jadeite. I guess people tend to look down on chrysophase, just like amethyst, because it is so inexpensive. However the beauty of your ring, and that necklace tells me there are stunning examples out there worth pursuing.

Tsavorite marquis and diamonds at 1.3 mm. It all came it at around 1200 usd or maybe 140usd. The setting alone was around that price. Then the chrysoprase I provided. I forget. But the chyrsoprase was the cheapest and it is high domed. David Weinberg of Multicolour did this ring for me.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tsavorite marquis and diamonds at 1.3 mm. It all came it at around 1200 usd or maybe 140usd. The setting alone was around that price. Then the chrysoprase I provided. I forget. But the chyrsoprase was the cheapest and it is high domed. David Weinberg of Multicolour did this ring for me.
Yes, I thought those stones were much too bright to be green toumaline but didn't want to suggest tsavorite in case they weren't! Given how much the price of tsavorite has increased in recent years, I bet that setting would be two or three times as much now.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I thought those stones were much too bright to be green toumaline but didn't want to suggest tsavorite in case they weren't! Given how much the price of tsavorite has increased in recent years, I bet that setting would be two or three times as much now.

No no. I just got this done again recently like a week ago. The old one was stolen:cry2:

And they're not bitty bitty marquis. Around 4.5 mm by 2 mm. Or was it 5 mm by 2.5? I can't remember. But they are not teeny tiny.

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, drifting further away from jadeite. Here is my 8 carat unheated blue sapphire ring with tsavorite and zircon and diamonds. Not done yet. Will be soon. DK doing this for me. I tell you, @suzanne2 was the best for posting her tsavorite ring. I discovered DK that way. The sapphire looks like it has a bad window but it is because it is not set and is tilted at a funny angle. I couldn't possibly post elsewhere. This is kind of like home for me.

I suppose it is ok to post here. I mean, jadeite is green, tsavorite green....pretty much the same stuff......

received_354556771911417.png

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
20190614_111222.jpg

And this ring looks like this man. I told Mellow, whilst buying it, that I had to have the ring because it gave off the hunger games man vibes. Not that I am a fan of Stanley Tucci. Just one of those eccentricities I am prone to. Then I posted it and un-posted it. then posted it again. I don't know. Feels weird posting jewellery nowadays. Again, one of those things.

latest

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No no. I just got this done again recently like a week ago. The old one was stolen:cry2:

And they're not bitty bitty marquis. Around 4.5 mm by 2 mm. Or was it 5 mm by 2.5? I can't remember. But they are not teeny tiny.
ChaiK, they are gorgeous, sparky marquise, and whilst on the subject of marquise, but drifting even further away from jadeite, and to keep you company with a sapphire, here's DW's latest acquisition (yellow is a shade of green...right ;)2 =))

Yellow Sapphire Ring 3.jpg

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, drifting further away from jadeite. Here is my 8 carat unheated blue sapphire ring with tsavorite and zircon and diamonds. Not done yet. Will be soon. DK doing this for me. I tell you, @suzanne2 was the best for posting her tsavorite ring. I discovered DK that way. The sapphire looks like it has a bad window but it is because it is not set and is tilted at a funny angle. I couldn't possibly post elsewhere. This is kind of like home for me.

I suppose it is ok to post here. I mean, jadeite is green, tsavorite green....pretty much the same stuff......

received_354556771911417.png
Wow! Wow! Wow!

An extraordinarily beautiful design. Are they pale blue zircons, or are they just picking up some blue from the sapphire? Also, did you supply the setting, or did DK make it to your design?

Last edited:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Wow! Wow!

An extraordinarily beautiful design. Are they pale blue zircons, or are they just picking up some blue from the sapphire? Also, did you supply the setting, or did DK make it to your design?

DK did the setting.

Zircons are blue.

And I only supplied the coloured stone and melee. He is providing the diamonds. Oh. And He did the tsavorites. I think he is expensive for melee. But I thought what the heck, let him do it. Originally, I had provided rubies and yellow sapphire melee but it was just too odd looking. So it changed to tsavorites.

I love that yellow sapphire ring. Lovely!

Oh, we are so bad for each other.

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20190614_111222.jpg

And this ring looks like this man. I told Mellow, whilst buying it, that I had to have the ring because it gave off the hunger games man vibes. Not that I am a fan of Stanley Tucci. Just one of those eccentricities I am prone to. Then I posted it and un-posted it. then posted it again. I don't know. Feels weird posting jewellery nowadays. Again, one of those things.

latest
Now that's real jadeite!! I was hoping to get a photo of your ring for my album, I'm glad you finally posted a picture, and this thread does feel a little bit like home. I thought Stanley Tucci was excellent in The Devil Wears Prada. For sure he needs to lose the purple hair, or maybe you must buy a lavender jade ring to match his hair. :eek2:
Oh, drifting further away from jadeite. Here is my 8 carat unheated blue sapphire ring with tsavorite and zircon and diamonds. Not done yet. Will be soon. DK doing this for me. I tell you, @suzanne2 was the best for posting her tsavorite ring. I discovered DK that way. I couldn't possibly post elsewhere. This is kind of like home for me.
Yes, I asked DK to make a note of @suzanne2 's fabulous tsavorite and sapphire ring in our file. When we have finished the list of projects we have going with them, and with suzanne2's permission, we will have them make us one just like it. Speaking of DKJ, here's the orange citrine pendant they just completed for us:

Citrine Pendant DK1.jpg Citrine Pendant DK2.jpg

ChaiK, I think we enable each other. This thread was running out of jadeite steam, so I think it's OK for us to post something else on occasion. ;)2

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh....another purple next, à la Stanley Tucci

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You guys are so sweet! I've been in a bit of a jewelry funk lately and reading this made me feel like a million bucks. "Suzanne's fabulous tsavorite ring"...I almost swooned. LOL.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then I posted it and un-posted it. then posted it again. I don't know. Feels weird posting jewellery nowadays. Again, one of those things.

This strikes home. But this is our home thread and we can post anything we damn well please. 73 pages and there are very few people who will slog through it. I get excited when I open PS and there's a notification. Weird, but true.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Now that's real jadeite!! I was hoping to get a photo of your ring for my album, I'm glad you finally posted a picture, and this thread does feel a little bit like home. I thought Stanley Tucci was excellent in The Devil Wears Prada. For sure he needs to lose the purple hair, or maybe you must buy a lavender jade ring to match his hair. :eek2:
Yes, I asked DK to make a note of @suzanne2 's fabulous tsavorite and sapphire ring in our file. When we have finished the list of projects we have going with them, and with suzanne2's permission, we will have them make us one just like it. Speaking of DKJ, here's the orange citrine pendant they just completed for us:

Citrine Pendant DK1.jpg Citrine Pendant DK2.jpg

ChaiK, I think we enable each other. This thread was running out of jadeite steam, so I think it's OK for us to post something else on occasion. ;)2

:kiss2:
:kiss2: spessartite. So nice and orange for summer.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2 I have the most awesome thing I want to show you but I've got to wait until it arrives. The vendor's postage system freaks me out a bit (it's a bit of an adventure) so I don't want to jinx it.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then I posted it and un-posted it. then posted it again. I don't know. Feels weird posting jewellery nowadays. Again, one of those things.
Chaik, all your pieces that I have seen have been incredibly beautiful and exquisitely designed. The ladies on this board would swoon over, and applaud your stuff. Please don't feel shy about posting your jewelry, it's all well up to, and perhaps beyond the standard of what we all post on here. What's more I am dying to see it all!

Just look at the little 8ct unheated sapphire design you just posted...its magnificent. We want more!! :mrgreen2:

ChaiK-s Sapphire (2).png

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2 I have the most awesome thing I want to show you but I've got to wait until it arrives. The vendor's postage system freaks me out a bit (it's a bit of an adventure) so I don't want to jinx it.

What is it??? What? I'm dying here. Can you give me a clue??

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chaik, this is unbelievable! I must see a hand shot when it arrives. Wow.

chaik-s-sapphire-2-png.698938

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2 it's a ring and it's freaking fabulous.

Like all kinds of fabulous

I'm just having a crisis about sizing since the sizing of rings from China are a complete adventure too. I'm having a meltdown.

Basically I had this amazing ring made at an amazing price with fabulous craftsmanship (from what I can see from the pics)

I'm just having a cow about postage and sizing and working myself up!!!!!!!! Lol could all be fine but I'm antsy cuz I LOVE this ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results