shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific Gravity of Grade B Jadeite

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
.just from what i'm following recently price of beads went up crazy, I felt like the price shouldn't be much lower than the price of 1st or 2nd choice if it's A jadeite.

I find Jadeite more inclined to such manipulative practices. And one vendor may value beads, or one type, or a colour over another. Prices can be all over the place and without any rhyme or reason.

Best to walk away if prices get ridiculous.

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello jade goddesses! A mere mortal here would love to get your eyes and opinions on this jade please :D

For background, it doesn’t come with any certs. It’s got about 1.5ct of pave diamonds and green tourmalines too.

This is the first time I would (potentially) be buying jade for myself. My (Chinese) grandparents gave me a lovely little fat laughing Buddha when I was 14 and a bangle when I was 16. They weren’t expensive pieces at all but carried huge sentimental value. However, sadly our home was burgled last year so I have no more jade :(

Just wondering what your advice would be to evaluate a piece of jewellery with jade in it, rather than a jade piece please?

Here are some photos, I tried to take them under different lighting.

Thanks in advance!

B1D5D394-08D5-41CB-AB45-9A658C5E28A7.jpeg
96F7AF90-6594-44FE-AEFC-9B6C7E74B27D.jpeg
9D23B298-9FC8-4384-969C-9B0E6E1719CB.jpeg
A7EED460-21D3-4FDA-8656-70EA41276BFB.jpeg
195EDED8-A77D-433C-B977-55BDF7DDC939.jpeg

joycece

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice it’s really helpful. The hetian/nephrite jade necklace is very pretty but I think it’s a bit overpriced for what it is - I’m not sure?

The second necklace is with a jeweller that deals in antique jewellery, he has some really beautiful pieces and has great knowledge except in jade.

The third necklace is not expensive in the least, the seller does not know what sort of jade it is and I don’t have enough knowledge but I like the colour.

Saw this today and think of you, just another price reference. It's 10mm about $1200 usd
Screenshot_20220912-231038_Facebook.jpg

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Saw this today and think of you, just another price reference. It's 10mm about $1200 usd
Screenshot_20220912-231038_Facebook.jpg

The colour is very nice! Could you tell me more about it?And thanks for thinking of me.

joycece

Rough_Rock
I find Jadeite more inclined to such manipulative practices. And one vendor may value beads, or one type, or a colour over another. Prices can be all over the place and without any rhyme or reason.

Best to walk away if prices get ridiculous.

Yes, its like a group of sellers create some trends for certain color or type of product from time to time to drive up demands and prices

joycece

Rough_Rock
The colour is very nice! Could you tell me more about it?And thanks for thinking of me.

Ahh sorry it's sold. I saw it on FB live, they sell things too quickly, not much details aside from size and price. See it as a reference when you need to negotiate for one

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, its like a group of sellers create some trends for certain color or type of product from time to time to drive up demands and prices
Yes, let them.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh sorry it's sold. I saw it on FB live, they sell things too quickly, not much details aside from size and price. See it as a reference when you need to negotiate for one

Sometimes, what you see on live shows may not be real.

It could be sold, but the buyer could, behind the scenes, return it.

Then it can get sold elsewhere, for a different price.

OR

The show plants a false buyer. Prices agreed upon are not real. The items are not really sold, but a sort of craze for the item or type of jadeite is created.

OR

Other veteran buyers at the show persuade the newbie to buy, and then later these very same people obtain a discount because the newbie has bought at a silly price. The newbie thinks people are so helpful at the show. Not really.

I have had good bargains at the shows and have also learned these lessons along the way.

Just be careful and be aware of the tricks that could be pulled at live shows. And always check the items after the show. Ask for pictures again before you pay.

joycece

Rough_Rock
Sometimes, what you see on live shows may not be real.

It could be sold, but the buyer could, behind the scenes, return it.

Then it can get sold elsewhere, for a different price.

OR

The show plants a false buyer. Prices agreed upon are not real. The items are not really sold, but a sort of craze for the item or type of jadeite is created.

OR

Other veteran buyers at the show persuade the newbie to buy, and then later these very same people obtain a discount because the newbie has bought at a silly price. The newbie thinks people are so helpful at the show. Not really.

I have had good bargains at the shows and have also learned these lessons along the way.

Just be careful and be aware of the tricks that could be pulled at live shows. And always check the items after the show. Ask for pictures again before you pay.

The one i posted I think definitely used the tricks you mention so I cut off the name of the page before posting it here.

Thank you for the tips and agree to all of them 100%. I don't buy frequently but watch different pages everyday can confirm that prices are quoted differently with different hosts for the same item.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
The one i posted I think definitely used the tricks you mention so I cut off the name of the page before posting it here.

Thank you for the tips and agree to all of them 100%. I don't buy frequently but watch different pages everyday can confirm that prices are quoted differently with different hosts for the same item.

I had a lot of fun though, buying the jadeite. There were other people buying it with me and we would try to figure out the BS going on. That was fun.

But now, looking back, if I had to do this alone without a PS pal, I would have had to watch a lot more shows to catch on. Still, no regrets about the purchases.

joycece

Rough_Rock
I had a lot of fun though, buying the jadeite. There were other people buying it with me and we would try to figure out the BS going on. That was fun.

But now, looking back, if I had to do this alone without a PS pal, I would have had to watch a lot more shows to catch on. Still, no regrets about the purchases.

I bet it was fun! I jump on the jadeite bandwagon too late.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Not wishing to threadjack. So we were talking about 豆沙饼 in another thread and here is my favourite:

1666608181905.png

And in keeping with this thread, a nephrite butterfly necklace Wriston did for me with my leftover melee.

Regarding On Cheong, Wriston has better prices for jadeite.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 11.45.49.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Not wishing to threadjack. So we were talking about 豆沙饼 in another thread and here is my favourite:

1666608181905.png

And in keeping with this thread, a nephrite butterfly necklace Wriston did for me with my leftover melee.

Regarding On Cheong, Wriston has better prices for jadeite.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 11.45.49.jpeg

Wow very nice. Can pls do neckshot?

Would also like to see how the clasp works?

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh ya I didn’t post my Wriston pendant here. Asked him to source the melee for me to reset a plain lavender jadeite ring that I had into a matching pendant for my ring that I got from him:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys Jade doesn't change colour right?

I told someone ages ago that it doesn't and it's probably just the light but I swear one of my bangles has more water and is clearer and greener. It was definitely not that green when I got it. It was nice but not as nice as I think it is now. Am I just crazy?????

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl I posted something about this in another place. I have a bangle that I swear is getting greener. 2019 here:
image0.jpeg

Now: Look at the width of the line from the bottom.
IMG-5045.JPG

IMG-5044.JPG
IMG-4971.JPG

I think I see change, but looking at it, I find it prettier now.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl I posted something about this in another place. I have a bangle that I swear is getting greener. 2019 here:
image0.jpeg

Now: Look at the width of the line from the bottom.
IMG-5045.JPG

IMG-5044.JPG
IMG-4971.JPG

I think I see change, but looking at it, I find it prettier now.

It seriously looks like a slightly different bangle! The colour difference is quite distinct.

But it's a rock!!! I honestly don't think it's supposed to change despite genuine belief that's been passed down from generations about how you can grow more colour and water!!!

I don't know what to think! Logically it can't change but I swear my bangle is greener with more water! It's the one I've worn the most, for significant amounts of time as well.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It seriously looks like a slightly different bangle! The colour difference is quite distinct.

But it's a rock!!! I honestly don't think it's supposed to change despite genuine belief that's been passed down from generations about how you can grow more colour and water!!!

I don't know what to think! Logically it can't change but I swear my bangle is greener with more water! It's the one I've worn the most, for significant amounts of time as well.

Right, I mean it took millions of years to become what it is, a 3 year span should not effect anything. However, I am going to keep wearing it and taking pictures and see what happens.

Do you have any pictures from long ago to compare?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, I mean it took millions of years to become what it is, a 3 year span should not effect anything. However, I am going to keep wearing it and taking pictures and see what happens.

Do you have any pictures from long ago to compare?

Let me dig around! They wouldn't be as well laid out as yours!

joycece

Rough_Rock
Need some help please! Do you think these beads are B+C ? Under 365 uv light seems like they showing green fluorescence. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20221027-144132_Gallery.jpg IMG_20221027_144147_016.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I'm not much help! I know they're not supposed to glow neon white!

I can't say they are not B +C but it is encouraging that they're not glowing a super neon white (you can't miss it if you see it).

joycece

Rough_Rock
Sorry I'm not much help! I know they're not supposed to glow neon white!

I can't say they are not B +C but it is encouraging that they're not glowing a super neon white (you can't miss it if you see it).

Right i know about the neon white/purple as I have an example at home too lol. But the green glow I can't seem to find information online

20221027_153141.jpg

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 11.16.03.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-17 at 11.37.59.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-10-12 at 09.43.48.jpeg

No huge clunky ugly mechanisms for the clasp;-).

Nothing flimsy either.

Wriston does what he says on the tin.

@icy_jade , thank you.

Can the butterfly be worn as a brooch? I can imagine that this needs a super heavy duty chain if you decide not to wear with the beads.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Can the butterfly be worn as a brooch? I can imagine that this needs a super heavy duty chain if you decide not to wear with the beads.

No, but I probably will get it adjusted to become a pin later on. Maybe, maybe not. Most likely not.

Not wearing it with chain.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Right i know about the neon white/purple as I have an example at home too lol. But the green glow I can't seem to find information online

20221027_153141.jpg

Me to. I only know of the white neon no-no, but I don't know about green fluorescence. Maybe get one bead tested?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Need some help please! Do you think these beads are B+C ? Under 365 uv light seems like they showing green fluorescence. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20221027-144132_Gallery.jpg IMG_20221027_144147_016.jpg

Hi Joycece,

Untreated jadeite is inert to UV 99% of the time.
Something is causing a glow. Wax can also glow green, but usually on examination you can see it following a crack, or on a rough patch on the surface. A deep glow would not be a usual finding in jadeite. Occasionally an impurity can glow in untreated jadeite, but it may just be a speckle or spot where a mineral mixed into the jadeite.

The only way to know for sure, but if I were to bet on this jadeite, I would bet it has had something done to it.

joycece

Rough_Rock
Me to. I only know of the white neon no-no, but I don't know about green fluorescence. Maybe get one bead tested?

Hi Joycece,

Untreated jadeite is inert to UV 99% of the time.
Something is causing a glow. Wax can also glow green, but usually on examination you can see it following a crack, or on a rough patch on the surface. A deep glow would not be a usual finding in jadeite. Occasionally an impurity can glow in untreated jadeite, but it may just be a speckle or spot where a mineral mixed into the jadeite.

The only way to know for sure, but if I were to bet on this jadeite, I would bet it has had something done to it.

Send the pictures to some jadeite sellers and they have no clues too. I was thinking maybe they are not even jadeite. Thanks for all ur input!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting this because it's such a lovely picture and also to update that I'm now no longer the owner of the ring and earrings.

My sister doesn't have a Jade cab ring and I didn't feel like engaging in the jade three ring circus to find her a cab so I gave her mine.

I also had the matching apples which matched so well with the ring, I felt like I couldn't in good conscience keep them so I gave them to her as well. Now I'm feeling a little sad but she's getting LOTS of wear out of them and she's my baby.

Necklace she bought herself.

IMG-20221105-WA0079.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results