shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I do know of a very well-known and well-respected gem cutter who recently pulled a stone out of storage that had developed a large crack that wasn't there when he put it away. He retrieved it from storage, where it had been for two years, as someone called asking for a stone just like it. He was heartbroken, as he couldn't sell it in good conscience after seeing the crack. Luckily it was worth only several hundred dollars.
He talked about this on his personal Facebook account (he's one of my friends) and explained that certain varieties of stones have lots of internal stresses that sometimes "relieve" themselves over time or due to physical shock or temperature shock. Sometimes they just simply "let go" internally in places, forming a crack.
I wonder if that's what happened in this case. Perhaps a change in temperature or pressure while flying in the belly of an aircraft during shipment caused the crack (er, "feather") to develop.
That may well explain both sides of the story in this case.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do know of a very well-known and well-respected gem cutter who recently pulled a stone out of storage that had developed a large crack that wasn't there when he put it away. He retrieved it from storage, where it had been for two years, as someone called asking for a stone just like it. He was heartbroken, as he couldn't sell it in good conscience after seeing the crack. Luckily it was worth only several hundred dollars.
He talked about this on his personal Facebook account (he's one of my friends) and explained that certain varieties of stones have lots of internal stresses that sometimes "relieve" themselves over time or due to physical shock or temperature shock. Sometimes they just simply "let go" internally in places, forming a crack.
I wonder if that's what happened in this case. Perhaps a change in temperature or pressure while flying in the belly of an aircraft during shipment caused the crack (er, "feather") to develop.
That may well explain both sides of the story in this case.
Exactly. Stuff like this happens. It only makes me mad that he's trying to sell it now without disclosing the crack.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
https://www.therealreal.com/product...urmaline-and-diamond-convertible-ring-pendant

Was talking about this in the zircon thread but it's off-topic so I'm bringing it over here. If only I had the funds, I would love to buy this! I don't think this is paraiba but a very fine indicolite tourmaline in a beautiful convertible setting.

OMFG I would buy that so fast if I had the funds!

@peacechick I have that one in my faves and also watched this one come and go...55ct tourmaline and 6ct diamond halo :eek2: I think it sold on discount too.

Totally cool for grocery shopping, right?
Screenshot_2018-10-30-22-42-22.png

Ok so I thought you ladies may like to know that it tested as paraiba, likely Mozambique, via my local gem lab.

Sent for re-sizing but here’s a pic:

F47C56ED-2D4C-42D6-A3BA-762794A8FAA6.jpeg

Irl the color is much much lighter than pictured on the site. Quite true to paraiba color rather than towards indicolite as pictured on site. It’s also less glowy than pictured. Not sure why but my iPhone seems to amp up the glow in every pic.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

voce

Ideal_Rock
949EA626-3C42-4378-B39C-BCA814C057A0.png

Thanks for the notice on this sale. I picked up a beautiful heart-shaped sapphire!
Awesome heart-shaped sapphire! Is this the stone you're thinking of when you ask about the ideal halo?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so I thought you ladies may like to know that it tested as paraiba, likely Mozambique, via my local gem lab.

Irl the color is much much lighter than pictured on the site. Quite true to paraiba color rather than towards indicolite as pictured on site. It’s also less glowy than pictured. Not sure why but my iPhone seems to amp up the glow in every pic.

Niiiiiiiice!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome heart-shaped sapphire! Is this the stone you're thinking of when you ask about the ideal halo?

Yes, it is! I have been looking at pink hearts because I really wanted a heart-shaped stone since forever. Sometimes a stone will sing to you and you just have to leap!

I’m thinking about setting it in rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s beautiful! What a gorgeous stone and setting!!

I have the opposite problem with my iPhone and paraiba pics. It mutes their color, especially after I upload on this site, which muted it again. It particularly kills my emerald and mahenge too.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I'd check the TRR site to see what's new and therr is another paraiba looking tourmaline but looks like they're pricing them higher now....

Screenshot_20190414-120456_Chrome.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful with overly included emeralds. They tend to have so much opticon or other resin in them, they’re very prone to fracture or crack.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful with overly included emeralds. They tend to have so much opticon or other resin in them, they’re very prone to fracture or crack.
Eek good point. I'll ask the vendor.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That’s beautiful! What a gorgeous stone and setting!!

I have the opposite problem with my iPhone and paraiba pics. It mutes their color, especially after I upload on this site, which muted it again. It particularly kills my emerald and mahenge too.

Thanks!

Mine is an iPhone XS Max. Just realized that after loading on the site the muted color is closer to the real thing so it works out for me haha. But yeah my phone generally amps up colors on CS which is rather annoying as I’ll rather have more accurate pics.

Maybe need to tweak the background or manually adjust the exposure? I’ll experiment when I have time.

Thought I'd check the TRR site to see what's new and therr is another paraiba looking tourmaline but looks like they're pricing them higher now....

Screenshot_20190414-120456_Chrome.jpg

I wonder how many carats the centre cab is? The 55ct you posted previously is such a stunner. If it was purchased at 20/30% off it was a total steal... I’ll could just walk around wearing it and stare at it all day long lol. Pls share if you come across any more stunners that you are not keen to get.

So curious what this ring looks like irl. If any PS-er gets it pls share pics!

Thread please??? Gorgeous.

I took only a few pics in a hurry as needed to send in to lab and then I dropped it off at my jeweler immediately after to re-size. I’ll take more pics when I get the ring back =)

Here’s a comparative of vendor pic vs irl that I posted in the other thread.
435DED32-93DC-4531-BF7F-8222EEA88639.jpeg

Like a different thing altogether right? I was totally expecting a much darker stone and was rather stunned (in a good way) when I opened the case.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

Mine is an iPhone XS Max. Just realized that after loading on the site the muted color is closer to the real thing so it works out for me haha. But yeah my phone generally amps up colors on CS which is rather annoying as I’ll rather have more accurate pics.

Maybe need to tweak the background or manually adjust the exposure? I’ll experiment when I have time.

I wonder how many carats the centre cab is? The 55ct you posted previously is such a stunner. If it was purchased at 20/30% off it was a total steal... I’ll could just walk around wearing it and stare at it all day long lol. Pls share if you come across any more stunners that you are not keen to get.

So curious what this ring looks like irl. If any PS-er gets it pls share pics!

I took only a few pics in a hurry as needed to send in to lab and then I dropped it off at my jeweler immediately after to re-size. I’ll take more pics when I get the ring back =)

Here’s a comparative of vendor pic vs irl that I posted in the other thread.
435DED32-93DC-4531-BF7F-8222EEA88639.jpeg

Like a different thing altogether right? I was totally expecting a much darker stone and was rather stunned (in a good way) when I opened the case.

Yeah that giant one was a fish thay got away, hooefully someone here has it. Yours looks amazing though, better than the photos and a more feasible size for wearing. This new listing is 12ishmm with a high dome but it didnt say how many ct, that must be a good sized stone. The design reminds me of a class ring though. :lol-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yeah that giant one was a fish thay got away, hooefully someone here has it. Yours looks amazing though, better than the photos and a more feasible size for wearing. This new listing is 12ishmm with a high dome but it didnt say how many ct, that must be a good sized stone. The design reminds me of a class ring though. :lol-2:

I’m not sure about the wearability part on the finger as it looked rather big when I tried (before re-sizing so more like wedging on finger haha) but it’s a convertible so I can always wear as a pendant otherwise. I’ll consider setting my other paraiba as a ring if the TRR one doesn’t work so well as one. The halo is so big. o_O

26ACEA8B-B2DF-4CA9-B77F-07125F33F48B.jpeg

Am really curious how the cabs look irl. The pics are so deliciously glowy sigh.

@T L cos another pic. =)2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icy_Jade,
Love them both. Thanks for more pics!!! I would totally wear either as a ring with those halos!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Even if we had that kind of money lying around, there's no way he'd let me wear the value of a small house on my finger :whistle:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if we had that kind of money lying around, there's no way he'd let me wear the value of a small house on my finger :whistle:

Yes, I feel the same way about those people that buy extremely rare and expensive colored diamonds. If you think it’s expensive to wear the value of a house on your hand, try wearing the value of a luxury private jet on your hand!!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*price....frickin phone :roll

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm I need half a million hehe. Make that a million so that I can buy a few items.

A8AE0B23-9BC2-47B3-9381-16BB03D13AFE.jpeg C5593FA0-1E13-4564-B975-D04244FA15F9.jpeg

i don't know why this kind of thing makes me so mad....i hate to see companies taking advantage of customers even if those customers must have more money than they know what to do with to buy stuff like this at these inflated prices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results