shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Ark, autocorrect is too much! I have written some of the weirdest sentences due to autocorrect when I'm texting friends...I'm sure they think I'm completely nuts with some of the things I inadvertently send :bigsmile:

No, I didn't get this demantoid stone. I saw some investment quality demantoids a while ago - started a thread about it at the time - and I've been spoiled ever since. But this one is so perfect with how the horsetail is aligned and I thought for the price it was an excellent deal. Some time will you take photos of yours because I know it must be beautiful...

While I'm posting, if anyone buys any of the stones in this thread and you feel like it, we all would love to see real life photos for comparison Thanks! :wavey:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Minous, Ill try to take some decent pics of Jeffs Chrome Tourmaline, because it is brighter IRL...its very Tsavorite-ish.

Ark, I love the dark ones...as much, if not more, than the bright ones. If you have a bottle-green one that you don't care for, contact me over on diamondbistro and I'll happy take it off your hands! I've been on a search for a dark green one for a while, and I was happy to find Gene's stone (the darker one that I posted above), but its very small at only .98cts. Lovely cut, beautiful color, but I have been looking for a larger one for a while. Most people that like Chrome Tourmaline prefer the bright green color, like the one I bought from Jeff. I am just the exception. I like dark stones..thats all.

Also--Tsavorite is only slightly harder than Chrome Tourmaline...I just looked it up. Tsavorite is rated at 7.5, while Chrome Tourmaline is between a 7 and 7.5. Not much of a difference there!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris - Feel free to post whatever...I was just suggesting that if anyone actually bought a stone highlighted here, that along with the vendor photos which have already been posted, they post their own pics so we can compare. And, we get the satisfaction of knowing that this thread (hopefully) is helping folks... :wink2:

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1343452695|3241875 said:
Jordan Wilkins is an excellent cutter - anybody interested in this stunning 20.12 ct amethyst for $403? A bargain for a stunning stone with brilliant (pun intended) cutting. Jordan explained that the background color being pink is a product of his modifying the color so at to get accurate stone color; it appears that PS intensified it a bit more...

Woah, I LOVE the cut of these stones!! Where does one find other pieces cut by this Jordan Wilkins guy? I'd love a smaller one of these to have for a ring!!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrisa222|1343498031|3242101 said:
Also--Tsavorite is only slightly harder than Chrome Tourmaline...I just looked it up. Tsavorite is rated at 7.5, while Chrome Tourmaline is between a 7 and 7.5. Not much of a difference there!
Hi Chris, I believe if you will search the GIA literature, you will find the Grossulars rated 6.5 to 7.5. And, you will find Tourmaline rated 7 to 7.5. That being stated, from a durability standpoint, the Garnet (speaking generally here...) are ever-so-slightly more durable than the Tourmalines.

From a faceters position, we usually find the Grossulars the least durable of the Garnet Group. This, from me, is strictly anecdotal, but in my experience I generally take slightly more caution when cutting Tsavorite or other Grossulars.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Roger, thats what I was trying to say. It just seems like (Chrome) Tourmaline doesn't get the attention it deserves compared to Tsavorite which is on everybodys wish list. I just think people need to see the stones, how nice they are..whether you like the bright green ones, or the dark green ones. These Tourmalines are every bit as nice as a Tsavorite, and, it appears just as durable. I was only responding to the poster that called Chrome Tourmaline "soft" compared to Tsavorite..that was why I looked it up. I knew there wasn't much difference.

The advantage Tsavorite has is with its brilliance/sparkle, but if you have a great cutter cut your Tourmaline, it would be hard to tell the difference. Just my opinion!!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Chrisa222|1343498031|3242101 said:
Ark, I love the dark ones...as much, if not more, than the bright ones. If you have a bottle-green one that you don't care for, contact me over on diamondbistro and I'll happy take it off your hands! I've been on a search for a dark green one for a while, and I was happy to find Gene's stone (the darker one that I posted above), but its very small at only .98cts.

I just purchased a dark chrome tourmaline from Gemrite that was on sale... got it today. Whoa! Yes, it's quite dark, but holy cow is it mesmerizing. Deep luscious green velvet, not so dark that it looks black unless its in really poor lighting and even then it'll throw green sparks if any light catches it. I want sorely to keep it but am worried about how I can set it and still be able to enjoy the GREEN.

So, I get the love for darkish green chrome tourmaline. I put it next to my medium-dark tsavorite which, until now, has always been a gorgeous pure green with hints of blue, and the tsav looks light and even a titch yellow (gasp) next to the CT which has more blue. The average layperson would likely think they're the same type of stone (but my tsav was 6x as much $).

If I decide not to keep it, I'll might list in on DB for a day or so before sending it back, but it's not really any bigger than Gene's (1.03; 6.75mm round)

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
blithesome71: What stone is in your user picture there?

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tara...you are killing me...WHERE is the pic? lol. Can you post a pic of the stone, and I'd love to see a pic of it next to the Tsavorite. Maybe start a new thread so we won't be hijacking?

Show your Chrome Tourmaline thread? Actually, Ill do it (although I already posted two of mine) but make sure you add yours :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Anyone looking for a gorgeous Pad sapphire? Diamonds by Lauren does not have this one up on his website yet, but it looks beautiful!!
2.35ct, certified unheated Pad form Sri Lanka.
8.31 x 6.78 x 4.97 modified brilliant, 10,995.00
YUMMY!!!!!!

r4711-paraiba-a.jpg

r4711-paraiba-b.jpg

r4711-paraiba.jpg

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Oh man that is the EXACT color I've been looking for.... at only about 9x my budget! Beautiful, though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ieatbugs|1343516270|3242230 said:
Jordan Wilkins is an excellent cutter - anybody interested in this stunning 20.12 ct amethyst for $403? A bargain for a stunning stone with brilliant (pun intended) cutting. Jordan explained that the background color being pink is a product of his modifying the color so at to get accurate stone color; it appears that PS intensified it a bit more...

Woah, I LOVE the cut of these stones!! Where does one find other pieces cut by this Jordan Wilkins guy? I'd love a smaller one of these to have for a ring!!

Sorry - just now seeing this. He's on facebook. I think this link will work: http://www.facebook.com/jordan.wilkins.16?sk=photos

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1343583986|3242528 said:
Anyone looking for a gorgeous Pad sapphire? Diamonds by Lauren does not have this one up on his website yet, but it looks beautiful!!
YUMMY!!!!!!

The price would be good if the stone were really a mixture of pink and orange - not with color zoning and not with brown. As is, I think its a very high price to pay. The body color is pretty where it doesn't show the brown and/or yellow.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1343588401|3242558 said:
ieatbugs|1343516270|3242230 said:

Sorry - just now seeing this. He's on facebook. I think this link will work: http://www.facebook.com/jordan.wilkins.16?sk=photos

Is that where he sells stuff? I feel weird sending him a FB message about buying his work, LOL!

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1343588610|3242559 said:
pinkjewel|1343583986|3242528 said:
YUMMY!!!!!!

The price would be good if the stone were really a mixture of pink and orange - not with color zoning and not with brown. As is, I think its a very high price to pay. The body color is pretty where it doesn't show the brown and/or yellow.

I completely agree! That color zoning is unacceptable at that price point.
~Justin

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, only through FB. Maybe you could try contacting him through GO, that site I don't think we're allowed to name? Sorry I don't know more...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Justin. I would never recommend DBL for good price on a sapphire or other colored stone! :lol: I know he's trying to learn, but it will take a while, and then even then there will be an even higher markup buying from them, as he has to buy it from a cutter...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm... the picture on the cert didn't look like it had color zoning, so I assumed it was shadowing of some sort.

pad_cert.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1343591015|3242582 said:
As far as I know, only through FB. Maybe you could try contacting him through GO, that site I don't think we're allowed to name? Sorry I don't know more...

He sometimes puts stones for sales in a facebook group called Fine Faceted Gems & Cabs Market so go ahead and contact him through FB or join the group.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI all,
Thanks PJ!
There are two different things. One is the lowest price. The other, is a good price. The first statement would seem to be a statistical statement. The second would seem to be a value judgment.
There may or may not be value added by the person or company selling. A cutter might very well offer the lowest price on the stone. However, dealers may have other advantages. For example, a large dealer can buy from many cutters, offering a far greater variety.
I know that matters to me when I buy.
Policies and reputation of the seller matter a lot to me when I buy- as well as the overall strength of the company. Any number of these elements can make a given stone more valuable when one seller has it as compared to another seller.

In terms of learning, I think that this, and other forums are great. I have been dealing sapphires for over 35 years, yet I still want to learn more.
In that regard, I appreciate the comments about the pad. I did not notice a problem with color banding, but I will certainly check again.

In general, three photos taken in the same lighting environment are not sufficient to cast a judgement.
Maybe you are right about color zoning, I will look again at the pad. But the photos are not conclusive IMO.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1343600032|3242650 said:
HI all,
Thanks PJ!
There are two different things. One is the lowest price. The other, is a good price. The first statement would seem to be a statistical statement. The second would seem to be a value judgment.
There may or may not be value added by the person or company selling. A cutter might very well offer the lowest price on the stone. However, dealers may have other advantages. For example, a large dealer can buy from many cutters, offering a far greater variety.
I know that matters to me when I buy.
Policies and reputation of the seller matter a lot to me when I buy- as well as the overall strength of the company. Any number of these elements can make a given stone more valuable when one seller has it as compared to another seller.

In terms of learning, I think that this, and other forums are great. I have been dealing sapphires for over 35 years, yet I still want to learn more.
In that regard, I appreciate the comments about the pad. I did not notice a problem with color banding, but I will certainly check again.

In general, three photos taken in the same lighting environment are not sufficient to cast a judgement.
Maybe you are right about color zoning, I will look again at the pad. But the photos are not conclusive IMO.

Well said Rockdiamond. Perhaps a video of the stone could show a more accurate representation than the pictures do. Please let us know what you find after further examination.
~Justin

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1343600032|3242650 said:

Hi thanks for responding about your Pad sapphire. I can't agree more with your statement of photos not being conclusive, but since its all we have to go on and you vendors choose to put them up to show us what you have and presumably, to be representative of what you have, then you have to expect that judgements will be formed based on them and whatever additional info you provide such as written comments, additional hand photos in different lighting, and, as PJ pointed out the photo on the report (which in this case does look more like what would consider the right combination of pink and orange without brown). Phew, that was a long sentence.

I stand by my opinion an umm, snap judgement. :bigsmile: If you think I/we are jumping to the wrong conclusion, you may want to have photos which are more representative of what you see ;-) ...and yes, I do know how hard that is to do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur that it is the vendor's responsibility to picture the stone as accurately as possible (not to make it look better nor worse). It certainly does looks like colour banding but will wait until you get a better look at the sapphire. Even from the cert, it looks to have a some zoning (not banding) but I think it's the inclusions that's making it look that way.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Jereni|1341349887|3228087 said:
I've been stalking this Merelani Mint Garnet for weeks (Clear Cut Gems). Since it hasn't gone anywhere, I'm guessing it's overpriced for its size? I'm still learning though.

Just in case anyone falls in love: 1.52ct, $1550

LOL, the second I eyed this I thought you got a hold my picture! Couple of years ago I bought a Merelani Mint Garnet from Gene, which has the exact shape and color. Mine is 2.3ct but I don't think it was that expensive. Of course, it is hard to judge just based on one picture.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
ieatbugs: it's a MORGANITE. Why did you ask? Lovely isn't it? :love: wish to own one with that exact peachy/flesh colour

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
blithesome71|1343718310|3243504 said:
ieatbugs: it's a MORGANITE. Why did you ask? Lovely isn't it? :love: wish to own one with that exact peachy/flesh colour

blithesome: I'm in the market for morganites at the moment and that's an exceptional specimen. Do you mind sharing where it came from? :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hi guys,
I wanted to really think about this, and look at the stone a lot before I posted a response.
With regard to color banding, or color zoning, which are basically the same thing: this is an interesting topic all by itself.
Whenever gemstones are cut, there are compromises.
As it relates to the stone in question,this stone has areas of contrast more similar to a diamond. That is to say some parts of the stone light up while other parts are darker. The attractive aspect to this is that when you move the stone, things that are dark light up and things that were lit up darken – creating sparkle. What I do not like to see, is a static dark area in the middle of the stone. Something that looks quite like a bow tie. Although the pad appears to have one in photos, in real life, it just doesn't.
There are ways to cut to eliminate this contrast, but they also involve compromises.

The only reason I can discuss the stone in this thread, as a vendor, is for educational purposes.
The discussion of photography is a very good one as well.
Maybe others have had different experiences, but I find colored stones to be incredibly difficult to photograph. Even looking through Google Images of "Emerald Ring"- the few that look decent ( to me) look like tsavorite.
google Padparascha and I don't see many that really have a salmon like color.
I'm not saying good ones are not out there – I'm just saying that capturing them in photography is difficult.
Many stones that are amazing in person have personalities that I find impossible to capture on film/digital.
Based upon the search results I'm looking at, others encounter the same difficulties.
I did try quite a bit- and the best photo so far is the middle one that pink jewel posted. But I have not been able to capture the stone's personality accurately there, or in any of the other attempts I've made.
Many people may resort to photoshop, but we choose not to.
Anyway I'd love to see pictures of Pads that people think look really good. Or, if there's already a thread, maybe someone can link me to it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results