color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78|1342182645|3233204 said:
jbkhere said:
hhmmmm - what are you plans for your tourmaline? :Up_to_something:

If the ammy works out, I will probably sell the tourmaline on DB. What size pear are you looking for?

Around 11x7 give or take......

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
:saint: Dear Santa,
I've been a very, very good girl this year. All I want is that 10 ct mahenge that Jeweljunk shared.....

What else can I say but ooooooooohhhhhhh
and snowballs chance in ......

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1342113022|3232868 said:
minousbijoux said:

Oh, thank you! I was looking for a pear to fit a setting that I have and that one is gorgeous but just a tad too small. I ended up ordering this one yesterday...
http://thegemtrader.com/July12ZAmethystPage.htm

Stargurl, I came SOOO close to buying that amethyst! I fell totally in love w/the color(s). Sigh, I'm not a fan of pears, so let it go with sadness. I'm glad you got it!!!

--- Laurie

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1340945118|3225722 said:
Next up:

Hard to tell from the photos, but this looks like a fairly saturated, bright "chrome green" 1.05 ct tsavorite, dimensions of 6.58 x 4.62 x 4.29mm for the bargain price of $125. This could be someone's first tsavorite - at a great price!

Being sold by one of our own, on the Bistro with a discussion on our own Preloved PS Jewels section of the PS Cafe.

I didn't want to comment before now, because this "was" my stone, but it's sold now, so I hope it's ok to comment. I think the reason this took longer to sell that I expected is because it was priced so low for a nice Tsavorite, that everyone though there was something wrong with it :(sad

I've just had it a long time and got it at a good price, so I tried to pass that on and actually had to drop the price before it sold. It is VERY saturated and I hope the new owner is pleased!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1342271556|3233763 said:
minousbijoux|1340945118|3225722 said:
Next up:

Hard to tell from the photos, but this looks like a fairly saturated, bright "chrome green" 1.05 ct tsavorite, dimensions of 6.58 x 4.62 x 4.29mm for the bargain price of $125. This could be someone's first tsavorite - at a great price!

Being sold by one of our own, on the Bistro with a discussion on our own Preloved PS Jewels section of the PS Cafe.

I didn't want to comment before now, because this "was" my stone, but it's sold now, so I hope it's ok to comment. I think the reason this took longer to sell that I expected is because it was priced so low for a nice Tsavorite, that everyone though there was something wrong with it :(sad

I've just had it a long time and got it at a good price, so I tried to pass that on and actually had to drop the price before it sold. It is VERY saturated and I hope the new owner is pleased!

Color: I'm so glad you're posting on this thread, as you have a lovely collection and probably some good stone recommendations to add. I was happy to be able to post your tsav when I saw it on on DB, as it really looked to be a bargain and it was a PSer to boot!

I also commend your diplomacy for not getting on here and trying to "sell" it when you first saw the posting, though I totally understand the desire to help your stone babies go to good homes... :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since a number of folks have been looking for tsavs recently, I thought this one deserved a little bit of thread/screen play. It is a 1.34 ct Tsavorite Garnet, VVS, 6x5.5x4.6mm, from Kenya, $495. Offered by Jason Brim of Select Gem. I don't believe those are his photos of the gem, so anyone interested should ask about the saturation level, hue and secondary if any, and cutting. If the stone's characteristics are good, it would be a good buy.

7-14-12brimtsav2.jpg

7-14-12brimtsav.jpg

justginger

Ideal_Rock
minous, I saw that tsav on FB, along with his new Ceylon spinel. Tempted on BOTH, lovely stones. But...Poppy ate my bank account. ;(

And...I can't believe it's another 5.5 months til Christmas! I can't even add these things to my wishlist!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I just saw this on Leibish's website and I dig it. It looks like a pad-ish diamond. :bigsmile:

17 points, fancy intense pink purple, SI2, GIA certed, $3360

pink.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1342349661|3234236 said:
I just saw this on Leibish's website and I dig it. It looks like a pad-ish diamond. :bigsmile:

17 points, fancy intense pink purple, SI2, GIA certed, $3360

pink.jpg

I saw that the other day- I have to think the yellow is just some sort of reflection as it doesn't mention any in the description. The photo is quite pretty and it would be a beautiful gem if it actually looks like that, but I would be surprised if it does. Their photos are usually pretty accurate- but it doesn't look like an "intense purplish pink" in that photo-looks like a yellow modifier should be in there,too!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
The MasterCutGem's unheated big sapphire is sold now...anyone have a confession to make???

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1342348561|3234228 said:
minous, I saw that tsav on FB, along with his new Ceylon spinel. Tempted on BOTH, lovely stones. But...Poppy ate my bank account. ;(

I know! I was seriously looking at that Ceylon spinel before he bought it from the ebay vendor, but the ebay vendor had disclosed two eye visible inclusions on the table of the stone, so I passed. Jason didn't mention it until Erini asked about it - an oversight on his part. Plus his price was almost double the ebay vendors price.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1342369816|3234323 said:
The MasterCutGem's unheated big sapphire is sold now...anyone have a confession to make???

I just checked his site and I don't see that it is sold?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
stargurl78|1342113022|3232868 said:
minousbijoux said:

Oh, thank you! I was looking for a pear to fit a setting that I have and that one is gorgeous but just a tad too small. I ended up ordering this one yesterday...
http://thegemtrader.com/July12ZAmethystPage.htm

Stargurl, I came SOOO close to buying that amethyst! I fell totally in love w/the color(s). Sigh, I'm not a fan of pears, so let it go with sadness. I'm glad you got it!!!

--- Laurie

I thought it was a great price and such a pretty color so I decided to go for it since it will fit my pear setting perfectly! Hopefully they'll post some non-pear amethysts in the next go-round for you!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1342384364|3234438 said:
justginger|1342348561|3234228 said:

I know! I was seriously looking at that Ceylon spinel before he bought it from the ebay vendor, but the ebay vendor had disclosed two eye visible inclusions on the table of the stone, so I passed. Jason didn't mention it until Erini asked about it - an oversight on his part. Plus his price was almost double the ebay vendors price.

You are kidding me. I had no idea he was reselling it from an ebay vendor...and at twice the price. That bothers me (not sure if it should, but it does). I'm very glad now that I didn't buy it. :nono:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most gem dealers get their stones from someone else - few are faceters cutting themselves. These dealers are assuming the risk (that the gem is fake, that the seller isn't legit, that the stone will be lost in the mail) and putting in a lot of work getting to know the sellers (whether wholesalers, exporters or ebay vendors), looking for stones that can be resold, etc. While a lot of us at PS prefer to do this ourselves, this doesn't mean that these dealers are doing anything wrong or immoral. A lot of gem buyers prefer to buy from someone local they trust instead of navigating the mire of ebay, risk getting burned or dealing with import customs and tricky returns. To each his own.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1342137004|3233024 said:
minousbijoux|1342132085|3232987 said:
K: That kunzite really looks gorgeous in that photo, but have you bought from them, because I wonder if they don't pump up the color in their photos...Also, what's the price? Thx

I haven't purchased from them before so I can't say how accurate their photographs are. They describe it as blueish purple though. They have a bunch of pictures of the rough and in process cutting too.

I know I'm a few days behind here, but Oceanview Mine is on the up and up. Selkie and I actually got to go digging through their tailings a few weeks ago and each walked away with a few tourmalines and other pretties. It's a small, family owned and run place.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this isn't one of the eye popping gems that have been posted on here, but I just purchased the 1 carat tsavorite that was mentioned early on in the thread.
If I like it, I'd want to set it in a bezel or semi bezel stacking type band.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1342443963|3234757 said:
Most gem dealers get their stones from someone else - few are faceters cutting themselves. These dealers are assuming the risk (that the gem is fake, that the seller isn't legit, that the stone will be lost in the mail) and putting in a lot of work getting to know the sellers (whether wholesalers, exporters or ebay vendors), looking for stones that can be resold, etc. While a lot of us at PS prefer to do this ourselves, this doesn't mean that these dealers are doing anything wrong or immoral. A lot of gem buyers prefer to buy from someone local they trust instead of navigating the mire of ebay, risk getting burned or dealing with import customs and tricky returns. To each his own.

This is true - as long as the gem dealer is somewhat reputable, this makes me feel a bit more confident about buying from them, as I assume (and hope!) that they would be picking decent gems, in order to be able to resell it. I'm not anywhere near as educated as the people on here, so I'm willing to pay more for this "service".

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1342443963|3234757 said:

I totally agree with you, but in this case, the stone was relisted the same day that it was won at auction--from Asia, so there is no way it was in hand. Imho, it might have been a bit more prudent to get the stone in hand and check it out in person before listing it for such a markup. And it hasn't sold, so that kind of shows that many people are scouring the same listings and knew what was up.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up a bit on the pricey side but worth it due to the material...from David at Multicolour, a .91 ct Brazilian eye clean, step cut Alex. Dimensions 7x5x3.3mm. Strong color change. Yours for $4,368. If someone wants to get an alex, this one should be in the running.

7-18-12alex.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure you want to spend that much? Well then, how about this .7 ct Indian Alex? Also from Multicolour, this 7.3x4.9x3mm eye clean stone with strong color change can be yours for $1,820. Pretty good deal if you can find a 7x5 calibrated pear setting.

7-18-12alexpear.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When vendors do that, I always wonder what the color would be like if the background wasn't the same color - how much intensity of color would be lost :confused: If not much, depending on treatment level, that might be a good buy...

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Hey MB! I always look at that too. I prefer on a plain white background. But this is Dan Stair's photo, and when you go to his website, he does the same with almost all the stones he facets. I almost didn't buy my little bluish/grayish spinel from him because of that, but he is a trusted vendor here so I gave it a shot and bought it. I was not disappointed. It had soo much dispersion! But I do wish he would use a white background. This is probably not the right thread, but here is the vendor pic of the stone I got from him and then my photo of the stone set. Close considering my novice photography.

sp1327.jpg

imgp3199.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JJ: Thanks for sharing. Your experience is very informative. While your stone is lovely, I think I might've been disappointed if I bought on his photo; the colored background amps up the saturation. A neutral grey background would be the best...like what Roger Dery does.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thanks Jeweljunke and Minousbijoux for mentioning it. I have wondered about the background color enhancing the stone color. Good info to have.

And just so we're keeping this on thread: This is on Dana's site, Master Cut Gems, 5.44 Larimer (now I have to look it up) for $60. Love the color.

larimer_5.jpg

Ohhh, I double checked. It's already marked sold!

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Wordie, I just absolutely love larimar. I have a few pieces in jewelry and it is such a soothing color. love love love!That's a nice price for that stone too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results