shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really need to stop following this thread...I put in an offer of $500 and they accepted lol. Can't wait to see it! I actually have been looking for a scarf pin so hopefully this will work for that, I don't mind the missing diamond and Im' sure my jeweler could replace it.

I figure for the weight in platinum alone at 10g it was a good deal lol.
1713449373828.png

Oh my goodness, this is a huge find and great deal! I’m glad you bought it- I think it will be absolutely stunning - you could even make a bracelet out of it, but the scarf pin idea sounds beautiful. Please share photos when it arrives!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They didn't. I suspect the price was so low because they mostly sell coins lol. But they have over 12k sales and 100% rating, so I'm taking a gamble. They tested the metal, and the cuts looks right for the time period (and wonky enough that I don't think they're cz) but I'll take it to my jeweler when it arrives next week! My guess is 1.5 tcw? Just based on other brooches of that size I've seen

I’d love guessed more educated than mine though.

IMG_3598.png

The coin place used an XRF to read the metal content - very accurate. This is an extremely sophisticated design that IMO is authentic period piece - looks like a stunning piece and an absolute deal. I trust and like to work with Large coin places with 100% reviews.

It looks to me like some rose cuts and some old euros (Belle Epoque?). Rose cuts are surprisingly glittery, I like them as decorative aspects.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really need to stop following this thread...I put in an offer of $500 and they accepted lol. Can't wait to see it! I actually have been looking for a scarf pin so hopefully this will work for that, I don't mind the missing diamond and Im' sure my jeweler could replace it.

I figure for the weight in platinum alone at 10g it was a good deal lol.
1713449373828.png

I'm so glad a PSer got this. It looked so pretty to me and I was tempted. I thought aside from a hair pin, it would look great as a bangle but doubted it could be bent and at 2" wide, too wide for my skinny wrist. I can't wait to see what you do with it. It really is lovely.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Ooooooo!!!! 1.04ct green sapphire center, 1950 is the price. BUY THISSSSS

Screenshot_20240419_175902_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20240419_175855_Instagram.jpg

Love that!

I still think about this 1.74 ct L/VS2 ring from back when he worked with McTeigue. It seems to still be listed on the McTeigue website for $8500. So pretty! It's been posted in this thread before but that was pages and pages ago so it's probably due for a bump :razz:

1713576992849.png
1713577007943.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep torturing myself over this ring so I’m going to post it here in case someone else wants to get it and put me out of my indecision misery lol

Is something like this rare to come across? Should I be trying to be talked into to?

IMG_3832.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I keep torturing myself over this ring so I’m going to post it here in case someone else wants to get it and put me out of my indecision misery lol

Is something like this rare to come across? Should I be trying to be talked into to?

IMG_3832.jpeg

I think it’s pretty, but I think it’s expensive for the ctw. Just my two cents!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s pretty, but I think it’s expensive for the ctw. Just my two cents!

I agree. I think the price is very high for the ctw but it's definitely a cool ring !

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha thanks that def makes it easier to resist.

Ooo gildedlane posted some lovely pins! And for much better prices per ctw. Heheh

IMG_3836.png IMG_3837.jpeg

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@MakingTheGrade IMO the condition is too poor for the price. There’s some abrasions and chips disclosed that would personally make me hesitate. It also has a diamond missing. I haven’t seen prongs with the rose cut on another piece so that is very unique but I think the seller is hoping someone gets wrapped up in the charm and pulls the trigger. They’re also warm. IMO it’s beautiful but I think you could get more bang for your buck with another piece.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mean this toi et moi (1940s or earlier?) is a rare design, platinum and lovely. GIA certification natural fancy yellow, plus H diamond, both diamonds a little over one carat each, plus side rubies and diamonds.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MakingTheGrade I have actually never seen a seven stone old cut band like that before. The carat weight is not very high though, and I think perhaps the others are correct that it’s on the high side for the quality. But I’ve said many times on here that it’s hard to put a price on rare items. I don’t think you could make a ring like that for much less, given the cost of gold mountings and the difficulty of locating a suite like that. Sako often sells suites and the prices are staggering to me! So could you find a different band for similar price and better quality? Maybe. But likely not identical.

Anyway I’m obsessed with that ring now too and it’s making me want to make a seven stone graduating band!!! (I have a 5.2, two 5.0, and two 3.9, so I’m wondering if I can make it work with a couple of 4.5s).

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock

IMG_3832.jpeg

@MakingTheGrade I have actually never seen a seven stone old cut band like that before. The carat weight is not very high though, and I think perhaps the others are correct that it’s on the high side for the quality. But I’ve said many times on here that it’s hard to put a price on rare items. I don’t think you could make a ring like that for much less, given the cost of gold mountings and the difficulty of locating a suite like that. Sako often sells suites and the prices are staggering to me! So could you find a different band for similar price and better quality? Maybe. But likely not identical.

Anyway I’m obsessed with that ring now too and it’s making me want to make a seven stone graduating band!!! (I have a 5.2, two 5.0, and two 3.9, so I’m wondering if I can make it work with a couple of 4.5s).

Seconding @Dreamer_D on this! Though I'm no expert on pricing so you can ignore that piece, I'm just speaking as someone who went through something similar. The ring in my avatar was "overpriced" from JbG but every time I look at it I think it's so exquisite that it wasn't overpriced *to me*. Would I have been able to recreate it for less than I spent? Perhaps, but perhaps not. But would I always wonder about liking the recreation as much as the original? Yes! And the fact that it lingered on the website for so long (I think almost 2 years?) means it certainly wasn't a great deal but at this point a year later I don't really care that I could have maybe saved $500 trying to recreate it, I'm glad I have the original.

I can see why you're thinking about this antique ring so much, the details are really lovely. If you can't find anything you like as much that's currently available and if the condition issues don't make it no longer 'mind clean' for you, is there much harm in getting it to see how you feel about it in person? It looks like the owner accepts returns within 14 days.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha thanks that def makes it easier to resist.

Ooo gildedlane posted some lovely pins! And for much better prices per ctw. Heheh

IMG_3836.png IMG_3837.jpeg

I’m terrible but I just want to tear them apart for the diamonds! I won’t!!!! But I wanna :evil2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG hahaha I messaged a friend on IG saying the exact same thing!!! Hahahaha. On the one for 2880 I said "I see a five stone ring in there".

Careful the brooch lovers with the pitch forks will be coming!

But seriously, where do all these “loose” old cuts we buy from vendors or on eBay come from? We know where!!

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Careful the brooch lovers with the pitch forms will be coming!

But seriously, where do all these “loose” old cuts we buy from vendors or on eBay come from? We know where!!

Me! I will point pitchforks! But I agree that one caught my eye too for all the fun mixed old cuts.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Seconding @Dreamer_D on this! Though I'm no expert on pricing so you can ignore that piece, I'm just speaking as someone who went through something similar. The ring in my avatar was "overpriced" from JbG but every time I look at it I think it's so exquisite that it wasn't overpriced *to me*. Would I have been able to recreate it for less than I spent? Perhaps, but perhaps not. But would I always wonder about liking the recreation as much as the original? Yes! And the fact that it lingered on the website for so long (I think almost 2 years?) means it certainly wasn't a great deal but at this point a year later I don't really care that I could have maybe saved $500 trying to recreate it, I'm glad I have the original.

I can see why you're thinking about this antique ring so much, the details are really lovely. If you can't find anything you like as much that's currently available and if the condition issues don't make it no longer 'mind clean' for you, is there much harm in getting it to see how you feel about it in person? It looks like the owner accepts returns within 14 days.

@newtojewels - I agree with you that if something is exquisite, it's definitely worth it to spring for the piece you love versus trying to recreate it. Even with price savings, it's just not the same and it's surprisingly hard to recreate the "magic" of a piece. Your ring, for example, is truly one of a kind. Even if the same designer made it again, it would never be the same because the tourmalines (?) wouldn't be the same. 2x, 3x, for a piece like that ---- the sky's the limit IMO and sometimes that is a hard thing for us jewelry lovers to accept because we do know the ballpark for what that ring cost to make. You can't really put a price on artistry or providence for the right piece.

However, having said that, I will say that the condition and quality of the 5 stone ring in question does give me pause. For example, if the gems in your ring were chipped, with flea bites and abrasions, and there was a stone in the pave missing, would you have still loved it? What if the gems were not as vibrant because they weren't as high quality stones? It's not to say that antique pieces can't be accepted with those conditions but I think every jewelry buyer should consider the wear and tear carefully and the piece as a whole. $3800 is a lot of money and could buy a really substantial piece. It could buy a 2.50 carat 18k tennis vine necklace, 3 carat antique sapphire ring with 1ctw of antique diamonds, 1.97 OEC platinum ring, 16ctw ruby collar, 1.96 GIA certed 5 stone ring, these fabulous turquoise drops, 5ctw of emerald earrings... I could go on and on (using TRR even though they can make hot garbage moves as we've talked about extensively since eBay and rubylane delete their listings after they've sold and it was easy to pull these examples from my loved list).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t personally have a problem with chips and naturals on old cuts, it is typical of untouched stones and likely a product of the cutting process not damage per se. But obviously to each their own, and I’m not saying I would buy this piece either. I just think it’s not a deal breaker.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t personally have a problem with chips and naturals on old cuts, it is typical of untouched stones and likely a product of the cutting process not damage per se. But obviously to each their own, and I’m not saying I would buy this piece either. I just think it’s not a deal breaker.

Agree with this. But the price on this, for what it is, is probably the deal breaker for me. I just think it is over priced for what it is.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate all the opinions. I agree that it’s unique but I should make sure it’s worth the opportunity cost. Gonna shop around and sit on the decision since I have a long vacation out of country coming up soon anyways.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results