clarity

Some progress. Now looking for a good RB

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368557327|3446834 said:
Niel|1368556716|3446825 said:
ballercaller|1368556289|3446818 said:
ok so i need some opinions/help. I have the option for the below 0.9ct, or at about the same price an 0.8ct that is a cut above with better colour and clairty. From my thinking process, of course I would like the best fire and brilliance. I'm trying to get the best combination of what she wants. Going with the 0.9, it is closer looking to the 1ct. Going with the 0.8ct, it would possibly have a better colour/clairity, and maybe better cut if getting ACA? Between the stones i posted, is the difference between the 0.9 and 0.8 really unnoticeable, or is it noticeable?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-205444

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2928620.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2803947.htm

Are you not interested in that I that was posted, i really think itll be nice, has nice clarity, and honestly its a going to be a very white stone. If you're interested in that H, have JA reserve that one, the I, and one other stone (you can reserve 3) and they will review them for you. Give you ASETS, tell you what they think of the performance, clarity, and color. I really think that I is a strong contender, but they can tell you how tinted it looks, about its light performance, and if you'd like, which between that H you like and the I they would recommend. Its free, and they are very honest and helpful in their reviewing. I do think going with JA is a good idea. A bigger stone will get you closer to her dream ring, and the cut will still be very nice.

Yes I was looking at the I you suggested, but was also wondering about the H. I think it is more a psychological thing about choosing an H over the I, but of course I would like to compare it.

Also, why would you pick JA over WF overall?

then if you are considering both i would have JA get more info for you... we can only speculate at their performance at this point, id get both of them reserved, along with one other, and get more info. Then you can decide how you feel about an I or not.

I love Whiteflash, but based in what you are looking for, seems like they just dont have it, if they had a .9-1 ct stone, Id say go for it, but seems really important to get as close to a ct as possible AND have a 3 stone with pave... thats a lot in your budget, and i think JA delivers better.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ballercaller|1368557327|3446834 said:
Niel|1368556716|3446825 said:
ballercaller|1368556289|3446818 said:
ok so i need some opinions/help. I have the option for the below 0.9ct, or at about the same price an 0.8ct that is a cut above with better colour and clairty. From my thinking process, of course I would like the best fire and brilliance. I'm trying to get the best combination of what she wants. Going with the 0.9, it is closer looking to the 1ct. Going with the 0.8ct, it would possibly have a better colour/clairity, and maybe better cut if getting ACA? Between the stones i posted, is the difference between the 0.9 and 0.8 really unnoticeable, or is it noticeable?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-205444

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2803947.htm

Are you not interested in that I that was posted, i really think itll be nice, has nice clarity, and honestly its a going to be a very white stone. If you're interested in that H, have JA reserve that one, the I, and one other stone (you can reserve 3) and they will review them for you. Give you ASETS, tell you what they think of the performance, clarity, and color. I really think that I is a strong contender, but they can tell you how tinted it looks, about its light performance, and if you'd like, which between that H you like and the I they would recommend. Its free, and they are very honest and helpful in their reviewing. I do think going with JA is a good idea. A bigger stone will get you closer to her dream ring, and the cut will still be very nice.

Yes I was looking at the I you suggested, but was also wondering about the H. I think it is more a psychological thing about choosing an H over the I, but of course I would like to compare it.

Also, why would you pick JA over WF overall?

In your case, probably for budget reasons. Unless you plan to go with ACA, then you are in the same ballpark as the JA stones. The Expert Selection stones are the in house stones that did not make H/A ACA designation, ie non-H/A ideal cuts.

FWIW, my first stone was an ideal non H/A AGS000 H stone from JA and it was very pretty. The one I have at the moment is a BG Blue stone that is an I.

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
bastetcat|1368557614|3446841 said:
In your case, probably for budget reasons. Unless you plan to go with ACA, then you are in the same ballpark as the JA stones. The Expert Selection stones are the in house stones that did not make H/A ACA designation, ie non-H/A ideal cuts.

FWIW, my first stone was an ideal non H/A AGS000 H stone from JA and it was very pretty. The one I have at the moment is a BG Blue stone that is an I.

Im a bit confused. Are JA stones better than Whiteflash unless it is ACA?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368558073|3446844 said:
bastetcat|1368557614|3446841 said:

Im a bit confused. Are JA stones better than Whiteflash unless it is ACA?

i think what bcat is saying is that the quality of stones that your looking at with JA will be pretty much equivalent to the Expert Select WF stones

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
i see... ok then.. looks like i have some decision to make. only issue now is with going with JA the setting will cost a bit more... sigh, i cant have the best of both worlds

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368559541|3446868 said:
i see... ok then.. looks like i have some decision to make. only issue now is with going with JA the setting will cost a bit more... sigh, i cant have the best of both worlds

White flash will set outside stones. I'd ask them about it. But they charge you. Ask James Allen if they can do the setting in 14k.

Also. They give you a slight discount for paying by wire and being a PS member. Talk to the last that reserves your stones. Tell her your budget see what they can do.

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
hmm... you think that would cost a bit more? ideally it would be easier to have it all done at the same place though right?

also in terms of the benefits of each, i know each has an upgrade program etc, but does one offer anything extra/better over the other? I know WF has better wire discount, although just 0.5% lol, but overall anything else?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368560484|3446880 said:
hmm... you think that would cost a bit more? ideally it would be easier to have it all done at the same place though right?

also in terms of the benefits of each, i know each has an upgrade program etc, but does one offer anything extra/better over the other? I know WF has better wire discount, although just 0.5% lol, but overall anything else?

It does cost extra few hundred for a shipping and unsetting and insurance, so it might not be in the cards. I am not sure if there is any real benefit going from one to the other. I know JA has an upgrade policy that you have to pay at least twice as much as the stone, but with the increase in prices and the fact that you probably won't upgrade your stone for a while or until your ready for a substantial increase( at least that's my though process, it may not align with yours) that upgrade policy seems fine.

But again I'd ask if JA could do it in 14k. Might just bring it down enough when combined with their discounts. Plus with it being mostly diamonds and rhodium plated you probably wouldn't see a difference.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure that's a nice enough stone, I just know know if for myself I could justify the price on a budget.

I'd get those stones from JA reserved right away. Don't want them to get snatched up while you are deciding.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ballercaller|1368563001|3446922 said:
Thanks Niel,
I'm gonna try and get more info on the H and I stones and another i find. For sanity sake again, disregarding price how would you compare the below diamond with the JA H and I stones (I know it would help with more JA info)?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2829762.htm

I think I'd want to see the idealscope of the JA stones before I could make a fair comparison. However, if you look at the red/black idealscope images of the 2 WF stones you had picked, one was ACA and the other ES and I think you'll see a difference between them. You want minimal white areas on those images.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I skimmed this thread. I just want to point out that in a 3 stone, the sides need to be color-matched with the center. If you put an I color center in there with G/H or F/G sided, when you look at the diamonds from the side you will see the tint in the center. I think I read on here 2 color grade difference, max. But I think 1 grade off is about all that you can go, and I do know that I can readily see tint in an I color diamond from the side. Probably stick with H & up is safer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do choose that I im sure JA can put matching sidestones in your setting, you just have to ask. and IMHO someone who isnt a diamond enthusiast is pretty safe with an I color. Still considered "near colorless" like an H and is much white than most of the diamonds out in the general population. I think before you throw the I out wait to see what the gemologist has to say about it.

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for all the help
so I spoke with JA about the stones and settings, and after a bit of talking, thinking and working out the numbers I think overall to stay within budget and to get the most out of what I/she wants, i will stick to the 0.8ct range instead of 0.9. i tried to convince that the stones on the band were not necessary and a bigger stone could be had, but to no avail. I think she may also be a bit sensitive to colour.
With that being said, whiteflash will most likely be the vendor of choice. Now unless they get new stones in soon, which is highly unlikely from what i've been told, the following would be the front runners. thoughts?:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2898161.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2813897.htm

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
I quite like the 0.804 F SI1 from the ASET and idealscope, provided that it's eye clean to your standards (WF's default standard is from 10 inches)

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
hawk25|1368641599|3447490 said:
I quite like the 0.804 F SI1 from the ASET and idealscope, provided that it's eye clean to your standards (WF's default standard is from 10 inches)

what does it mean to be eye clean from 10inches. so the stone has to be 10 inches away from eyes to look ok? if you were closer than 10 inches would you notice inclusions?

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
WF's eye clean means that if you hold the stone at 10 inches away, you won't see any inclusions. When I was shopping for stones (I was looking at an SI1 also), it was designated eye clean on the website, but after speaking to the rep, there was a note saying that there was a visible inclusion at 6 inches.

If you put a measuring tape/ruler to your face, 10 inches is fairly close, and 6 inches is really close. Try to take a mechanical pencil/pen and focus on the eraser/pen cap (it's about the size of the stone), and move it closer to your eye. 10 inches is a comfortable distance, and 6 inches is about my limit of focusing

I'd ask them if it's eye clean to whatever standard you want. You can get their gemologist to take a look at them again if you want

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
hmmm will do that. if i wanted to stick the stone right in my face and not see any inclusions what clarity should i go for?

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
Many SI1s are completely eye clean, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just thought I'd mention to double check with WF. In my case, the inclusion was enough for me to pick another stone. It's partly a mind clean thing also, and depends on how picky you are

The fact that these are all ideal cut stones will help hide any inclusions with sparkles too :)

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
If you don't mind fluorescence, the BGD one Niel suggested is actually very nice. BGD Blue collection is a great value, and priced cheaper for a great ideal cut stone. Many people consider G color the sweet spot for price vs assured whiteness, and a VS1 has a 99.9% chance of being completely eye clean

Having options is always a good thing ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368650679|3447592 said:
Niel|1368647762|3447559 said:

lol you're killin me niel. just when i'm about to get set on something you throw more options at me!

Haha I'm sorry this one I had in the back of my mind for you for a while but I didn't because I really did think a larger stone was the right thing for you. But if you think you will be happy with an 0.8, I thought this would be great. Nice cut and clarity! :D

No one said getting engaged was easy ::)

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
hawk25|1368651404|3447604 said:
If you don't mind fluorescence, the BGD one Niel suggested is actually very nice. BGD Blue collection is a great value, and priced cheaper for a great ideal cut stone. Many people consider G color the sweet spot for price vs assured whiteness, and a VS1 has a 99.9% chance of being completely eye clean

what exactly is fluorescence?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ballercaller|1368651504|3447606 said:
hawk25|1368651404|3447604 said:

what exactly is fluorescence?
Under UV light it glows a color. Most common is blue. Its rarely noticeable in common UV light like sunlight, but it helps give off the slightest blue undertone to help thestone appear whiter . If you put it under a blacklight it'll glow blue. Its actually really cool. And caaan cause some negative effects, but these are specially vetted to make sure they only have the positive cool effects of fluor, no bad effects. I really love fluor personally.

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
hmmm interesting...
well in comparing the whiteflash ones, is the BGD stone better due to the price, or just a better stone overall? Maybe i shouldn't use the word better? highly preferred by the majority? lol

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
ballercaller|1368652281|3447623 said:
hmmm interesting...
well in comparing the whiteflash ones, is the BGD stone better due to the price, or just a better stone overall? Maybe i shouldn't use the word better? highly preferred by the majority? lol

I personally think the 0.804 F SI1 is the best of the three from WF. Comparing that one to the BGD stone, I think both will perform equally as great (I'd ask another PSer's opinion to confirm this though, I'm relatively new here). To me, the only difference is the BGD one has fluorescence, so for the same price you get an upgrade to VS1 compared to WF.

It's a very close call, since fluorescence is quite a personal decision. With BGD, you get the assurance that it's eye clean, but lose the assurance on whether she'll like fluorescence or not. Honestly, I think it depends on which vendor has the setting you most like, and go with them

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer clarity to color. So I'd rather have a vs to a si1 if the price is equal. Plus that g will be super white, the side stone will be BG side so very sparkly, and I personally find the bg setting more attractive. So that's my personally opinion on which i would pick

ballercaller

Shiny_Rock
LOL, ok i gotta stay focused. in the end i'll probably put a bunch of options in a hat and just choose whatever i pull out

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results