shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire settings

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, in analyzing settings to death, I am trying to choose a plain solitaire in the event I decide to go in that direction. To start out, just for fun, I''m reposting a picture from the recent Bay Area get-together for those who have not seen the PS bling! And on the finger on the far right, you''ll see the solitaires. The top one is a real tiffany, the third one is carebear''s SC Tiffany, and the 4th one is snlee''s 6 prong regular tiffany setting.

BayareaPSgtg1 (2).jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Demelza's SC Tiffany: oops, didn't attach

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, having trouble posting hers so I''ll try Carebears

carebear-ringset.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m also having qualms about 4 versus 6 prongs...I sort of like the way 4 allows more of the diamond to be seen, but the real Tiffany repros have 6. Here are Mara''s and her friend''s rings.

4or6prongs.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying for Demelza''s SC Tiffany again

demelzaGVS10001_2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is also kalya's 4 prong leon mege cartier style ring with her 7 stone shared prong. while i don't know if you are leaning into a 'basket' vs the cupped head look, this is another 4 prong face up visual to help you (even though it's 8 prongs really, it's got the same look as the 4 prong in a way).

kaylas lm with shared.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I have always loved that LM setting, but I am not sure I want to go that route due to how long it would take, etc. She does have the exact diamond band I want!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so my two cents...while i love the ''basket'' style of the rings like ritani and kayla''s lm with 4 prongs, i really love my new 6 prongs. having loved 4 prongs for most of my diamond-life, the 6 prong love is a new beast. but i really love how it seems more ''classic'' especially on solitaires and paired with a shared prong, aka classic meaning more like tiffany i guess. the ''original'' even though it''s not necessarily original...hehe. i do love the side views of the 4 prong baskets like ritani though. it''s such a tough call!! i also think the 6 prongs make the stone look a little bigger which for me is a mega perk! but maybe you don''t want that. i had my prongs made very small as well, the superbcert prongs are typically a bit larger than mine. and i can still see mine. so if you don''t like to see prongs, then 4 prong is probably a better option. there are pros and cons for 4 vs 6 i think, much of it depends on what your mental and visual ''priorities'' are i think.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the prong tips to be as little as possible. I think yours turned out well, Mara. If I go with SC, I''ll be emailing Barry a picture of Demelza''s original ring because I liked those tips better that some of theirs with more pointed tips. On the other hand, I know I have read that you don''t like the straight prongs of generic tiffany settings, but honestly, when you look at rings from the top, there isn''t much difference. Snlee''s looks as good as the others to me, except it is a rounded band instead of knife edge. Also a traditional tiffany is like $500 whereas the SC Tiffany would be $1435 with the setting fee and postage. I''m just trying to sort out what looks best. Even between the plain tiffany''s, I like the 4 and 6 prongs.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: diamondseeker2006

Mara, I have always loved that LM setting, but I am not sure I want to go that route due to how long it would take
Hmmm...I just happen to know that RIGHT NOW is the perfect time to commission LM to do a ring. Apparently it''s their ''slow season''. I think things start to get crazy after the end of summer....
11.gif

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds i agree from the top down you can''t see a real difference in the settings but the side view is what gets me. i am SOOO a side view person. especially if this is a setting you will be keeping long term, make it count and just make sure it is something that will make you happy from every angle. for me i know what my requirements are, and the side view of my new head is sooooooo much better than my old one which really bugged me. so i''m really glad i took the opp to change it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, thanks Widget. Which style solitaire do you like best? here's a side view of the LM. Even though I adore it, the side band does cover part of the diamond.

wleonmegesol.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 3:42:46 PM
Author: Mara
ds i agree from the top down you can''t see a real difference in the settings but the side view is what gets me. i am SOOO a side view person. especially if this is a setting you will be keeping long term, make it count and just make sure it is something that will make you happy from every angle. for me i know what my requirements are, and the side view of my new head is sooooooo much better than my old one which really bugged me. so i''m really glad i took the opp to change it.
You know, that Scott Kay had the most gracefully scooped prongs I have seen. They were gorgeous, but I''m not wanting to spend almost $5000 on the e-ring setting.

One reason I was thinking of getting an inexpensive setting was so that I could change it later if I find something I just love. On the other hand, it is unlikely I''d EVER do that considering how much I am agonizing over this!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of my fave fave fave settings for rounds in a solitaire 6 prong is the royal crown, vatche...did you look at that one ds or is it not your style?

widget

Ideal_Rock
DS...I''m probably not the one to ask. I''ve never paid too much attention to classic solitaire erings...

I guess I like ''em basic, basket settings, not too many ''curves'' in the gallery...

That Cartier style looks PERFECT to me!
3.gif

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of my faves...yumm.

sterms rc.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I did look at one this week for the first time. The Vatche settings are VERY nicely finished. I like the RC very much, but I think I want to stick to more traditional/classic which I guess would mean Tiffany/Cartier, I guess.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Kayla ended up selling her Leon b/c she said the prongs of the tiffany band were eating the e-ring even though he was supposed to make it so they fit flush. Just something to think about if your contemplating doing the same thing.
I love the Royal Crown and with a larger stone like yours I don''t think the band would be too wide at all. here''s another Leon that I love the head and you could opt for a plain band.

leontiffanytop.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 3:54:25 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I think Kayla ended up selling her Leon b/c she said the prongs of the tiffany band were eating the e-ring even though he was supposed to make it so they fit flush. Just something to think about if your contemplating doing the same thing.
I love the Royal Crown and with a larger stone like yours I don''t think the band would be too wide at all. here''s another Leon that I love the head and you could opt for a plain band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we''re on Vatche, here''s the setting Mrs. Darling Joy has ordered;

vatche1199_mini.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 3:41:34 PM
Author: widget

Mara, I have always loved that LM setting, but I am not sure I want to go that route due to how long it would take

Hmmm...I just happen to know that RIGHT NOW is the perfect time to commission LM to do a ring. Apparently it''s their ''slow season''. I think things start to get crazy after the end of summer....
11.gif

widget

and widget..how do you just happen to know this?
11.gif
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! Her Tiffany band was eating the e-ring???? I specifically asked the lady at Tiffany''s if they had any problems with those diamonds hurting the e-rings and she said NO!!! Grrrr. Can you just not believe anything anyone says???? Of course, I may have SP make my band. They are SO nice and would possibly understand how to make one that would not let the diamonds scratch the e-ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was thinking about widget''s lovely asscher when she mentioned LM...and also when I was posting Maytal''s photos!
2.gif

I have a feeling I will lose my mind for sure on this project. Does anyone know if there is any such thing as a shared prong band that will not ruin an e-ring?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs darling joys vatche

vatche1210_xlarge.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more...my only concern about this one is wondering how high up the diamond sits.

vatche1199_xlarge.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 4:17:05 PM

I have a feeling I will lose my mind for sure on this project. Does anyone know if there is any such thing as a shared prong band that will not ruin an e-ring?

I'm not sure there is. I think demelza said her signed pieces band was scratching her SC so she doesn't wear it that often even though she loves the look. I do know Signedpieces, WF and I'm sure others have said they try to prevent or have no diamond overhang on the rings to help eliminate the rubbing. I know memoire isn't supposed to rub but that's only in the shared prong sets where they are designed to fit together like a puzzle so the rings are actually sitting next to each other rather than moving back and forth contanting hitting the other one. I don't know if there would be a problem pairing one with a plain band or not. When I had my eternity band and 6 prong plain e-ring it didn't really make noticable scratches but who knows over time what would happen. If you love the look, I'd still do it and just get the e-ring polished up every few months. hopefully some of the owners will pop in where their experiences.

ETA: here's a pic of the memoire I was describing..
3.2memoriebandplatheadonwithsemitmount.JPG

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I love that vatche setting.
Mine is set like that vatche setting, and it actually sits really low - very low profile.
Pics can be misleading.
I don''t think it''s any higher than the tiffany 6-prong - perhaps even lower.

Scintillating...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 4:32:30 PM
Author: Scintillating
I love that vatche setting.
Mine is set like that vatche setting, and it actually sits really low - very low profile.
Pics can be misleading.
I don''t think it''s any higher than the tiffany 6-prong - perhaps even lower.

Scintillating...
I think your setting is beautiful, Scintillating. I''d consider one very similar if I decided on diamonds on the e-ring setting. But ringht now, I am leaning toward diamonds on the band only. Thanks for the input on the Vatche...you may be exactly right, which would be good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrssalvo, oh, thanks for posting that Memoire set for me to see. I see what you mean about them fitting together. I am not loving that particular setting,though. I like the looks of the Tiffany basket a little better from the side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results