Solitaire settings

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 4:02:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 7/29/2006 3:41:34 PM
Author: widget

Author: diamondseeker2006

Mara, I have always loved that LM setting, but I am not sure I want to go that route due to how long it would take

Hmmm...I just happen to know that RIGHT NOW is the perfect time to commission LM to do a ring. Apparently it''s their ''slow season''. I think things start to get crazy after the end of summer....
11.gif

widget

and widget..how do you just happen to know this?
11.gif
2.gif
31.gif

widget

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 3:56:53 PM
Since we''re on Vatche, here''s the setting Mrs. Darling Joy has ordered;
Hi Diamondseeker ~
emrose.gif

I remember being in your shoes trying to decide on what setting to get! It was torture trying to narrow it down! It would have been much easier if I could just have one of each, Thank you very much!
31.gif

OK ... re: the Tiffanys. I like the look of the Tiffany settings, they are very classic indeed. The one thing I didn''t like about them was that the Knife edge didn''t feel all that great inbetween my fingers. Now, I don''t know if one could eventually get used to it, but for myself, I loved and still love the knife edge look, It just bothers me. When hubby and I were up in Canada before we married, we went ring browsing, and the set that we both loved the look of was a "matchy" set of diamond pave and knife edge. I tried that ring on for about 2-3 hours just hoping that I would get used to it ... obviously ... it didn''t work.
39.gif

So, I think if you did get a Tiff, I would opt for the regualr type band if you think the knife edge would bother you.

Myself, if you like the look of a Tiff, I would definately get a Tiff (vs) a reproduction. Just my .03.

I also don''t like too much gap, and I don''t know really how much there would be, just something to think about. I know gap doesn''t bother many ... so it is something that you should think about, would it bother you, or not.

As far as 4 or 6 prongs ... aside from the safety factor, it comes down to personal preferance. I have had a solitaire in a six prong basket, and it was 1/3 ct ... I didn''t think it hid too much of the diamond, the prongs were very dainty. I also like the look of 4 prongs, for myself I am a side view lover, and the side view was just as important to me and the top, so like you ... kept going back and forth, driving myself and hubby crazy ... my new pet name at the time was "Lil'' Miss indecisive!"
11.gif

It sounds like you would love to find the "perfect" setting ... and if your like me, it might not be out there right now. I had to sit myself down and really ask, what was most important ... and the answer for me was:

#1: Get the ring back on my finger!
#2: Thin band, but not micro thin with tapered shoulders.
#3: No diamonds, or very little accent.
#4: My bands needed to sit as close as possible if not flush.

I also didn''t know if this diamond would be "the" one ... Hubby initially wanted to go bigger, so if I do upgrade, I didn''t want to waste money on a setting that I would not realistically be able to use for an upgrade if one did happen a few years down the road.

I think that the Tiff''s and the Cart''s are classic''s as well as Vatch''s RC ... I think in my mind what set''s them apart is that the Tiff''s & Cart''s are Traditional Classic, and the Vatche is Modern Classic. I think the 6 prong makes a RB look more round, where a 4 prong can make a RB look more square sometimes. Again, it''s all about preference. I personally like how some 4 prongs make a RB look more square, an invisible box the RB is floating on ... and I have seen some that actually make the RB appear bigger, but I am sure it was just some optical illusion.

DS, What about the Vatche setting that I am getting do you like?

Have a fun day!
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Mrs DJ!

Well, I like your Vatche setting because the band is a little narrower than some of the other Vatche''s. I like the 4 prongs and the cupped style of the basket. I was hoping I''d get to see yours finished to see how it really looks on someone''s hand, but I need to make a decision on this so I can get on with life! I''m spending way to much time looking at settings! I was disappointed that the jewelry store I went to did not have this setting, because I really prefer being able to try something on before ordering. But they mostly had x-prongs and the RC. My current setting is a plain tiffany with rounded band and 4 prongs. The prong tips are tiny so the stone still looks very round. I''m sure I could adjust to 6 prongs. I did love the real Tiffany I tried on. But they do not sell their setting without buying their diamond, so it has to be a repro if I want that style. I think a knife edge won''t be as noticeable once a band is put next to it.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DS ~
emrose.gif

I know you like my setting, what would you think if Marie or Christen @ GOG could take some pic''s of it on their finger? Maybe with a diamond band?

If you think that would help, I think my ring should be done at Vatche, & if it is infact done and ready, Marie will pick it up this week, I could ask her or christen to take some pics of it on the finger to see if it is what your looking for. You will just have to super-size it so it becomes a 1.63 instead of a .72!

Let me know, and I will email Marie, and/or Christen.

Keep smiling!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DS ~
emrose.gif

Ok, well if the original Tiff only comes with their diamonds, then we can rule that one out.

So that leaves you with a repo. Out of the repo''s that I have looked at ... I have looked at soooo many of them, the best one I have seen is the SC version. If I am not mistaken, they have a name brand designer of settings make this for them. I think I know who it is, but not 100% certain.

Have you tried on the knife edge rings? Are they comfortable for you? Or does the edge part bother your fingers inbetween?

Also, how much gap does the SC repo have, if any, between the ering and a diamond band? Would this matter to you over a period of time?

Chat w/ you soon.
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Mrs DJ,

Of course I''d LOVE to see pictures of your ring if they have a chance! It is just impossible to get an idea of actual size and proportion with some of these ring photos on websites!

I have tried on the real Tiffany knifeedge, and while it is not as comfortable as my current rounded band, I couldn''t really notice the knife edge once the diamond wedding band was next to it. I probably wouldn''t like two knife edge bands. But I am not considering that since I definitely plan to get a diamond w-band.

I think I need to try to get Kayla''s attention and ask her about the Tiffany diamond band scratching the e-ring, though.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ds ~
face23.gif

Ok, I will email Marie and let her know that you would like to see some pic''s of my ring, I am sure she will forward this info onto Christen, as I believe Christen is the one who takes the wonderful pics there.

It might be good for you to email Marie/christen as to what you would actually like to see. Just the ering, ering with a certain kind of diamond band, etc...

I will let them know it''s ok for them to email you pics .... just as long as I get to see too!
emsmilep.gif
You will have to provide them with your email, etc...

Kayla''s LM is awesome too! Love those claw - prongs!
emlove.gif
If you didn''t like the bar that goes across, you could have him make that part more delicate. Just a thought.

Ok, email Marie/Christen.

Have a great day!
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''ll email Marie, too! I''ll be very excited to see your new ring! I know you''ll be happy to finally get it, too! Thanks!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 7:50:31 PM

I think I need to try to get Kayla''s attention and ask her about the Tiffany diamond band scratching the e-ring, though.

Okay, you have my attention!
2.gif

Let''s see, I originally had the VAtche Royal Crown setting and I bought the Tiffany shared prong band to go with the RC because it was the only low set band that I could find that did not hit the prongs of the RC.

If you get the Tiffany style e-ring, you won''t have that problem either as they put a little edge so that the diamonds never actually touch the e-ring and the prongs are higher up as well. Also, what I have noticed is that the shank tapers towards the palm side so that when the band and the e-ring are placed together there is a tendency for the two rings not to touch on the top.

When I had LM make me the ring, I asked him specifically to make sure that the prongs were up a little so that the wedding band did not hit them, but he did not make the ring that way, so the Tiffany diamond band was hitting the prongs and causing little scratches which I feel over time would have eventually eroded the prongs. It would probably have taken years with me as I was so careful when wearing them, but still it would have happened.

This hasn''t happened yet with my RC though as when I wear the RC together with the Tiffany band, which I usually wear about twice or three times a week and I have had it now for two years or so, you can''t see any erosion at all.

I do notice that the way the RC is made is that the e-ring shank tapers towards the top part, so the diamonds never really hit the prongs at all.
that''s the key, the e-ring has to taper in a little at the top so that the diamond band hits the wide part of the e-ring AND the prongs have to be high enough not to touch to begin with.

I am going to try to take a picture of what I mean.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, Kayla! I have been in despair (almost) since hearing that everyone had problems with shared prong bands! So you are saying that it still should be okay with the Tiffany repro because it has the little peg at the base of the head that comes out? It sounds like it would work with that Vatche above as well, because it tapers in a little at the head. I''ll get a picture of that as well.

I wasn''t sure whether you had changed settings, but it sounds like you are collecting additional sets! That sounds like a plan to me!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Picture of the Tiffany solitaire with the tiffany shared prong band. Notice how the prongs are just above the diamonds in the wedding band and the little metal area stops the two rings from actually touching.

IMG_200917.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s Mrs DJ''s Vatche style with band tapering in at the head:

vatche1198_xlarge.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Another profile shot. See how the prongs just miss the band. The band has to be really low set though and trust me, I looked everywhere when I searched for this ring before I actually got the one from Tiffany''s. The only other low set one was Memoire and one really inexpensive one I found at Littmann''s Jewelers.

IMG_201717.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 10:34:52 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Picture of the Tiffany solitaire with the tiffany shared prong band. Notice how the prongs are just above the diamonds in the wedding band and the little metal area stops the two rings from actually touching.
Oh yay! Thanks! Where did you ever find that picture! I assume that is a real Tiffany solitaire...and I would have to get the SC Tiffany repro, but that should work, too, right?

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
here is the Vatche Royal Crown. You can see that the band doesn''t even touch the e-ring at all due to the way the shank (on the e-ring) tapers at the top and gets wider in the middle.

BTW, my husband caught me taking pictures of my hand in this position and he just had this look of either pure confusion, disgust or excitement, I can''t tell.
23.gif

IMG_202217.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 10:37:37 PM
Another profile shot. See how the prongs just miss the band. The band has to be really low set though and trust me, I looked everywhere when I searched for this ring before I actually got the one from Tiffany''s. The only other low set one was Memoire and one really inexpensive one I found at Littmann''s Jewelers.
Truthfully, I''m almost at the point of buying the one from Tiffany''s just to alleviate the stress! I tried it on with a real Tiffany solitaire (exactly the same size as my new diamond) this week and I loved it! Do you have the seven 8 point stones? That is the one I want. I have talked to SP briefly and they''d make me one, but the one thing I am not sure of is how low their baskets sit in comparison.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Another profile shot.

I think Ms. DJ''s ring will work just fine with a shared prong because of the way the shank tapers in at the top. Definitely!

IMG_202717.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 10:40:25 PM
here is the Vatche Royal Crown. You can see that the band doesn't even touch the e-ring at all due to the way the shank (on the e-ring) tapers at the top and gets wider in the middle.

BTW, my husband caught me taking pictures of my hand in this position and he just had this look of either pure confusion, disgust or excitement, I can't tell.
23.gif
Lol!!
9.gif
My family thinks I've lost my mind or am possesed or something! heck, and I haven't really even started with the pictures yet!

Do you think the SC Tiffany repro will work with the real Tiffany band?

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 10:38:22 PM

Date: 7/29/2006 10:34:52 PM
Oh yay! Thanks! Where did you ever find that picture! I assume that is a real Tiffany solitaire...and I would have to get the SC Tiffany repro, but that should work, too, right?

Yes, that''s my new ring actually and I just took the pictures about 10 minutes ago! I will take a picture of the metal aread that sticks out. I notice it is a little different on mine than on the other ones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am crazy...I knew you bought that Tiffany set. I just wasn't thinking that it could fit with that band. Heck, you're just the person I needed to talk to because you have one of all of the rings I like!
9.gif

I love the Ritani, too, but would want it a tad wider!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 10:41:53 PM

Date: 7/29/2006 10:37:37 PM
Truthfully, I''m almost at the point of buying the one from Tiffany''s just to alleviate the stress! I tried it on with a real Tiffany solitaire (exactly the same size as my new diamond) this week and I loved it! Do you have the seven 8 point stones? That is the one I want. I have talked to SP briefly and they''d make me one, but the one thing I am not sure of is how low their baskets sit in comparison.

Well, the great thing with Signed pieces is that if you are not happy, you can always return it. I have the one with the 7 diamonds with the 8 pointers I think. I do think it is a lot of money to pay and when I finally had to make a decision, buy from Tiffany''s or get a custom made one from Whiteflash, I let my husband decide. He said he wanted to just get me the one from Tiffany''s, so that''s what we did.
I am happy that I went with the Tiffany one, though. There was a post by someone a while ago who had WF make it for them about the same time that I was deciding and they said they found little flaws in the design. I forget exactly what those flaws were, but I am really picky about everything and I know I would have been a pain in the buttkus to please, so it''s better off I went this route.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have looked at rings so much, it would have to be perfect. So I really might get the Tiffany because I don't know if SP would take it back if they made a special size for me.

Okay, so you have a Ritani set, too, and I love it as well. Did you take the stone out of the LM or do you have about 5 sets???

ETA: I think mrssalvo said you sold you LM setting, so you have the RC, the Ritani, and now the Tiffany! I'll take one of each!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kayla, one more question...did you try any SP bands? If you tried them and they didn''t work, it would help me to know that.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 10:52:16 PM

Okay, so you have a Ritani set, too, and I love it as well. Did you take the stone out of the LM or do you have about 5 sets???

ETA: I think mrssalvo said you sold you LM setting, so you have the RC, the Ritani, and now the Tiffany! I''ll take one of each!

Umm, no comment on this...............
2.gif

Yes, I did sell the LM ring as I used the money to get the Ritani.
The funny thing is that I sold it for 30% less than what I paid for it after owning it for a year and I just found out that the person who sold me the Tiffany knife edge band just recently acquired it and she paid what I paid to have LM make it!
If I had known that, I would have sold the ring for more!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 11:10:42 PM
Kayla, one more question...did you try any SP bands? If you tried them and they didn''t work, it would help me to know that.

No, I didn''t try them on. I am going to be in the city sometime next week or the week after, I want to get the tiffany stuff resized, polished etc. and if you want I can swing by there to see the rings they have.

At the time I purchased the tiffany band (2003), SP was not actually known around here at all. In fact I think I was one of the first people to even mention them as I had purchased a t&co. diamonds by the yard bracelet and pair of bezel set earrings from them and I had posted a thread about it.
They were really cool to work with. I even left them my diamond and they bezel set it in platinum for a phenomenal price ($275) with the chain.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 11:24:01 PM

Date: 7/29/2006 11:10:42 PM

No, I didn''t try them on. I am going to be in the city sometime next week or the week after, I want to get the tiffany stuff resized, polished etc. and if you want I can swing by there to see the rings they have.

At the time I purchased the tiffany band (2003), SP was not actually known around here at all. In fact I think I was one of the first people to even mention them as I had purchased a t&co. diamonds by the yard bracelet and pair of bezel set earrings from them and I had posted a thread about it.
They were really cool to work with. I even left them my diamond and they bezel set it in platinum for a phenomenal price ($275) with the chain.
2.gif
Oh, that would be great if you could try some SP bands on with your solitaires! That is neat that you were one of the first to discover SP. I watch their Tiffany items, too. Very lucky for you to find a DBTY bracelet and bezel set earrings! You and I seem to have very similar taste. I actually saw the EXACT tiffany band I want (same as yours) a couple of months ago, but it was something like a size 8, and I wear about 5 to 5 1/2. So I knew it wouldn''t work to size it that much. Anyway, back to bands...they do make a basket setting with stones that were larger than I wanted, but David told me they can make any size...I told him I''d want 7 8-point stones, and I want the side of the band to come up to the top of the stones like the real Tiffany does. He was going to check on that for me. But if you happened to have your Tiffany band with you the day you go, you could at least tell if any of their bands are set as low as the Tiffany. The thing is, I could get a full eternity SP band for the price of the .56 Tiffany. But if I can''t find one nearly as beautiful, then I''ll have to get the real thing.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
That''s funny, I am a size 5.25 as well, but I can wear anywhere from a 5 to a 5.5 depending on the thinness/thickness of the band.
I will definitely check it out but don''t be surprised if I come out with a new sparkly or something.
Actually, I was thnking about having them make me a new bezel set earring. I lost one of the ones I purchased from them and I had inquired about having them make me a new one a while back, but they said they needed the old one to match it up. I may have them make me the earring to match it. Depends on the price as I know the prices have gone up on platinum and diamonds in the past few years.
But yes, I will definitely go and look for you.
I am excited, Like I am on a mission, I could be 0017 or Butterfly 17, The Hunt for the low set diamond band. Yes, now I have a purpose!
3.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Wait a second, now that I think about it, they did have a shared prong basket style 7 diamond band that I looked at when I was looking for the diamond band and i remembet that it was set higher and I didn''t like it.
They have a much larger selection now, so I am sure I will be able to find more styles.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! I just wish I could go with you!

Now that I know we wear almost the same size, I can really look at pictures of your rings and get the same perspective as if the rings were on me!

I''m sorry to hear you''ve seen the band with baskets and saw it was not as low. I am almost resigned to getting the Tiffany. I don''t love the styles of most of the other settings as much as the basket-set band. But it is SO much easier to tell in person. Pictures often don''t do the rings justice. I was thinking of ordering about 5 bands from SP at one time to try to find one that would work! So it''ll be nice if you can elimnate some or identify some that might work! Thanks for all your help tonight, too!!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kayla, in that picture with the Royal Crown and the shared prong, the gap between the two rings, are they touching on the bottom but the shank of the RC tapers in at the top so they don''t touch at all? i can''t tell if the gap is because the rings are separated or if the bottom of the RC is wider than the top and that''s why it doesn''t touch?

i really love the RC and honestly...i would consider it in the future if i went solitaire...so just curious...hehee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results