shape
carat
color
clarity

Smaller diamond on a big finger

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the help. Especially about the size of fancy cut stones vs rounds. I was looking at JA and found this stone. I don't like Marquise's as much but pears I like. Is this cut not good enough? Because the rest f the stats look good, no?

I would probably just get it bezel set- that setting was under 1000

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI2-Very-Good-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1337471.asp

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to throw something in here. I have an 8.5 finger but a 1ct rd, but I did look at ovals and marquis in the past and I am wondering if you really like those stones if you'd be opposed to having and east west setting? That way you could get more finger coverage, and personally I think they come out looking awesome! ...

Examples:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-of-my-ring-oval-east-west.51140/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-of-my-ring-oval-east-west.51140/[/URL]

and this one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

an absolute favorite of mine!!! and a bit shocked that no one else has posted this...

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh good job! I saw your thread last night on my phone when I was sneak-PSing, but couldn't comment, or SO would have my neck! You're looking into pears! I got a .7 pear in a halo last year. The dimensions of the diamond are ~almost 5mm by 7.something mm. With a halo that's ~1-2mm that brings it to be approx.. what.. I really need calipers, that's what! Haha. But seriously, an oval or pear + halo will cover up some real estate! I was even pondering to do a bezel THEN halo.. but ended up not wanting a custom job.

Unfortunately, I'm on a proxy and can't post photos from my work computer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="04diamond
Examples:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-of-my-ring-oval-east-west.51140/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-of-my-ring-oval-east-west.51140/[/URL]

and this one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

an absolute favorite of mine!!! and a bit shocked that no one else has posted this...[/quote]

e/w settings are more coverage i can see but i dont know... they just seem too modern for my taste. I wanted either a vintage or classic look. And again i dont love a marquise cut like I do a pear. I was thinking this might work.

peardiamondengagementring.jpg

The stone seems like it would give a lot of coverage, and being a three stone would also provide coverage as well as more sparkle. And wouldnt baguettes be more affordable than another round or pear cut stone on the side? If I could get around a .9 ct stone I would probably be willing to go to around 4500. Thoughts?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baguettes aren't really very sparkly or blingy IMO. What about a pear cut with pear side stones? This is a bad pic, but here is an example:

pear_0.jpg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
You said you weren't so keen on traditional solitares... what about a tension setting? Just adding to the style options.

There are a couple boonerings titanium rings around here... and IMO they're STUNNING! Very much a statement ring and totally normal to have a .5 ct in there. If you're ok with the titanium, it'll also free up budget for a bigger center stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1344123587|3246069 said:
Baguettes aren't really very sparkly or blingy IMO. What about a pear cut with pear side stones? This is a bad pic, but here is an example:

you might be right, but i like baguettes a lot better. Ive never seen side pear 3 stone rings that I liked, and I dont really love mix of shapes in a three stone unless its baguettes(or half moons; and half moons would not look good with pears id say)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate all the suggestions. I guess i should have put this in the rockytalky section sense there doesnt seem to be too many women with pics for this thread.

Its strange how when Im not looking for myself, all these rings look nice and pretty and like rings i would love to have, but when I have to pick only ONE for myself, Its so hard!! This is what I get for wanting to choose it myself! ;-)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1344120095|3246051 said:

e/w settings are more coverage i can see but i dont know... they just seem too modern for my taste. I wanted either a vintage or classic look. And again i dont love a marquise cut like I do a pear. I was thinking this might work.

peardiamondengagementring.jpg

The stone seems like it would give a lot of coverage, and being a three stone would also provide coverage as well as more sparkle. And wouldnt baguettes be more affordable than another round or pear cut stone on the side? If I could get around a .9 ct stone I would probably be willing to go to around 4500. Thoughts?[/quote]

That could work...I guess if you want the longer baguettes then yeah, you'd need to stretch the budget a bit more. What about getting an awesome super sparkly band as your ering for now, and then later on custom make your own blingy ering? just another thought. I suppose if you do get a pair and find a setting that has the baguettes the way you want it could be possible. Would you be willing to compromise on the stone? Just because I found an awesome pear that is an I1 I color and good cut for under 2k. the link would show the inclusion, but you'd have to remember this is blown up, so its possible that you wont even see them. James allen will send the diamond to your local jeweler so you can see it before you buy it (which is awesome). But that way, you could get your 1ct stone, and spend 2500 on your setting. I would think that .25ct baguettes on each side would be perfect for the coverage your looking for:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-I1-Good-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1219925.asp

another option would to get a K colored diamond which you could get for even less. I guess it's all up to you :) And don't get too stressed in all this, this is the fun part!! and as always, we love to help! :bigsmile:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond I found a diamond that sounds promising on Whiteflash and I emailed them about that baguette setting so we will see if that exceeds my budget. The stone I'll link in a bit here would leave me about 1200 for the setting if I was trying to stay right bang on 4000 ) excluding tax) I feel excited about this one but I have a feeling I may get the wind taken out of my sails when someone says it's not quite as nice as I think it is ;-)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/pear-cut-loose-diamond-2803751.htm

But I have my fingers crossed that setting could be done for around that much

Otherwise I may buy the diamond loose and take it to a jeweler in town that gives a bit of a discount to me because of where I work. But I'm hoping for the Whiteflash one; I'm quite taken with it.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
That actually looks like a great diamond (if it makes you feel better I happen to be a GIA Alumni :) )! Hope you hear some good news from Whiteflash on your setting!!! Definitely keep us posted!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1344138275|3246200 said:
That actually looks like a great diamond (if it makes you feel better I happen to be a GIA Alumni :) )! Hope you hear some good news from Whiteflash on your setting!!! Definitely keep us posted!

Oh good!! I would buy it right now but I don't know how all that works if I find out that that setting is something they can do. I know it's over my budget. But I have a feeling it won't stop me.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pear_2.jpg

That's my .7 pear in a halo on a 7.5-8 finger. It's not the best quality stone nor setting (bought PRE-PS!).. but a good visual for sizing =) I think the .9's spread + halo would be a great "bang for your buck" for a ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
now heres another question. which is better a large band or a small? a small band,to me, makes the diamond bigger, but with my finger that large is a thinker band better?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1344190407|3246382 said:
now heres another question. which is better a large band or a small? a small band,to me, makes the diamond bigger, but with my finger that large is a thinker band better?

I think it's personal preference and what looks best on you. Personally, I dislike dainty, thin bands on my fingers. I have long size 6.5 fingers, and I find that the dainty bands just do not look good or add much hand presence. For that reason, I prefer a somewhat more substantial setting.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
nielseel|1344139673|3246210 said:

Oh good!! I would buy it right now but I don't know how all that works if I find out that that setting is something they can do. I know it's over my budget. But I have a feeling it won't stop me.

Just keep in mind that the picture on the website is not a picture of the actual stone, so you can't predict what it will actually look like without pictures.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UberClaire|1344194190|3246428 said:

Just keep in mind that the picture on the website is not a picture of the actual stone, so you can't predict what it will actually look like without pictures.

by "look" I meant the specs all seem to make the stone seem quality, and plus, doesnt whiteflash inspect the diamond, as well as proved a return period. I dont expect it to be it to be "stock photo" quality but sounds good I think

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
UberClaire|1344194190|3246428 said:

I was going off the GIA report. As far as the band, it is a personal preference, but I think if you have a wider band with a "bigger" looking ering, it tends to make the set look bigger. My wedding band is thin but I have taken my hubbys wedding band and put it on next to my ering and it definitely makes the whole set look bigger...I think if you have more sparkle with the halo, it'd look great and give you the finger coverage you're looking for. But again, it's up to you. If your budget wont allow for it right now, maybe an anniversary band later? ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Listen to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Halo.

Halo halo halo.

Here is the math. If you buy a 5.5mm round stone and put it in a halo, even the MOST delicate halo will add about 2mm in diameter to the stone. More likely with a style like the Vatche Grace or another bead set pave style, you are looking at up to 3mm in added diameter. That means that your haloed 5.5mm stone will have a haloed diameter of 7.5 to 8.5mm, which is equivalent to the hand presence of a 1.5ct to 2.5ct round. There is no other setting style that can come even close to that.

So spend about $1500 to $2000 on a halo setting and get whatever shape diamond you prefer in the biggest size you can for the center. But don't worry about stretching so much for an extra 0.5mm on the center stone since the halo will add so much hand presence the small difference in size for the center will make no difference. I gave similar advice to akmiss and I believe she is very happy with *her* choice to halo her 0.60ct diamond rather than trying to upgrade to a 0.80ct stone.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1344206365|3246520 said:
E B|1344199513|3246490 said:
This setting has a vintage look and will give a ton of finger presence:

http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/pro...center-stone-not-included-number-389-slash-40

It's very similar to webdiva's Beverley K, here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ev-k-ring-princess-of-hearts-from-gog.175328/

Yes, a setting like webdiva's would be perfect. Her halo looks huge!

agree 100% if you are going for size, there is no other option than to halo your center stone, add a bezel and halo and BAM! Knock your socks off! :love: :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if I were to get a halo ring i would want it similar to this, now this is way out of my budget, anyone know a similar? I particularly like this setting from underneath, whats that called, the basket?

custom-platinum-diamond-halo-pear-shaped-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-whiteflash-32007-b.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UberClaire|1344064778|3245798 said:
Did you measure your finger yourself? I found that when I tried that my results varied wildly depending on the tester. Go to the mall and ask any jewelry store to measure your finger -- in my experience they're happy to do it for free. Go to a couple places if you can -- I had one salesperson try to convince me that I wear a 9 -- my engagement ring is a 7.75 and it still seems a little big.

well good news on both fronts. :D

I went to the Jewelry store in town today and turns out when she measured my finger im closer to a 7.25. Not as good as a lot of the dainty fingers out there but a lot better than I was lead to believe

secondly, as i said they give me a discount at that place. i went in looking for a halo like the one i posted and thought she would need to make it, its still was under 1500. And that was with a plai white gold split shank (which she said would increase the coverage, though im not sure i want it)

so now i know they are in my price range, now I jsut need to decide if a halo or baguettes or something else is what I want. It opens up more option sense tht was the price of a custom design

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well that turned out to be good news, after all!!

Which style are you leaning towards? I love the haloed pear from WF you just posted!!! WOW - that would be amazing!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well there you go! 7.25 is not big at all, it's perfectly average. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results