shape
carat
color
clarity

Smaller diamond on a big finger

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im not sure about the setting. I love that halo WF one and I am thinking about it a design like that one, which is basically what I had told the jeweler. the only difference was that split shank she suggested, which I am not so sure I like with a halo. I mean it looks good pave'd but IMO it looks a little disjointed when the its just white gold. But if anyone had a good picture I could be swayed. Maybe.

I still kinda of love a baguette too, but she didnt have anywhen I went in to look, apparently most people dont like them as much as me :)

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I know someone mentioned antique stones, but if you would consider them, I LOOOOVE this one. It gives amazing coverage and is under your budget. Not sure about size, but Erica from JbEG probably can tell you either way if sizing is possible. I know its an I, but I have seen some I's in these cuts that are completely eye clean. They are a reputable vendor too. So I do trust their eye.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/090ct-est-Old-European-Cut/23935952_Hbnmj3#!i=1942026709&k=mBrqCS9

:wink2: I do think it would look gorgeous on a size 10 finger.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
vinjewels|1344292827|3247030 said:
I know someone mentioned antique stones, but if you would consider them, I LOOOOVE this one. It gives amazing coverage and is under your budget. Not sure about size, but Erica from JbEG probably can tell you either way if sizing is possible. I know its an I, but I have seen some I's in these cuts that are completely eye clean. They are a reputable vendor too. So I do trust their eye.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/090ct-est-Old-European-Cut/23935952_Hbnmj3#!i=1942026709&k=mBrqCS9

:wink2: I do think it would look gorgeous on a size 10 finger.

+1

What about something like the 1.02 ct transitional cut on JbEG? It's on sale for about $3500 right now and you could set it in a simple 14k setting for now and possibly upgrade your setting later?

Personally I live the look of a blingy eternity band. They have those fabulous oec and transitional parcels for $1260 per ct/approx 3mm per stone. You could get 2cts or more and the setting for $4k. It's not the same look as a solitaire, but you can get much more coverage and lots of sparkle and stay within budget.

Additionally, as vinjewels mentioned, they are very reputable. I bought a 1.72ct parcel of the oval rose cuts from Grace and when they arrived they were even more beautiful than I anticipated. I would absolutely buy from her again.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
nielseel|1344190407|3246382 said:
now heres another question. which is better a large band or a small? a small band,to me, makes the diamond bigger, but with my finger that large is a thinker band better?

I wear a 6.75 and I thought that the very thin, dainty bands looked wrong on my hand. I also have very long fingers and hands, so maybe that's part of it... really I think it comes down to personal preference. I tried on a bunch of different size bands--from 1.7mm-6mm and I liked the look and feel of the 4mm band the best, so that's what I got! I wanted a plain band with no pave, but I also wanted something unique with vintage style. Thus, my fiance had the band engraved with a leaf pattern and milgrain added. If you are looking to add some bling, the engraving adds texture and sparkle. It catches the light and glitters nicely. Just thought I would throw that idea out there since it's another way to add some bling without a lot of added cost.

I didn't notice before my last post that you had settled on a pear--congrats! It's a lovely stone, and I think a very smart choice for your budget!

Here is are some pictures of my ring so you have an idea of how the thicker (4mm) band and engraving look (please excuse my atrocious photography skills and alligator hands ;-):

alligator%20handsssss.jpg
ring%20closeup_0.jpg
rose%20cuts%20and%20e%20ring.jpg
ring%20on%20dish.jpg
a%20little%20fire.jpg
alligator%20hands%203.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with antique style if I were you. Filigree/pierced designs, built up shoulders or a navette style, elaborate halos. Check out Single Stone and Fay Cullen for inspiration.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heres a question, white or yellow gold. Does white make the stones seem bigger, or yellow make them smaller?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuffyluvr, your ring looks perfect on your hand! Gorgeous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1344359996|3247409 said:
now heres another question. which is better a large band or a small? a small band,to me, makes the diamond bigger, but with my finger that large is a thinker band better?

I wear a 6.75 and I thought that the very thin, dainty bands looked wrong on my hand. I also have very long fingers and hands, so maybe that's part of it... really I think it comes down to personal preference. I tried on a bunch of different size bands--from 1.7mm-6mm and I liked the look and feel of the 4mm band the best, so that's what I got! I wanted a plain band with no pave, but I also wanted something unique with vintage style. Thus, my fiance had the band engraved with a leaf pattern and milgrain added. If you are looking to add some bling, the engraving adds texture and sparkle. It catches the light and glitters nicely. Just thought I would throw that idea out there since it's another way to add some bling without a lot of added cost.

I didn't notice before my last post that you had settled on a pear--congrats! It's a lovely stone, and I think a very smart choice for your budget!

Here is are some pictures of my ring so you have an idea of how the thicker (4mm) band and engraving look (please excuse my atrocious photography skills and alligator hands ;-):
quote]
That ring is very pretty what size ct is that stone??

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1344437325|3247926 said:
Tuffyluvr, your ring looks perfect on your hand! Gorgeous!

Thank you!!! :bigsmile:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
nielseel|1344441547|3247954 said:
tuffyluvr|1344359996|3247409 said:

quote]
That ring is very pretty what size ct is that stone??

Thank you!! It's a 1.55 ct 1:1 square cushion--measurements are 6.4mm x 6.4mm, which is about equivalent to a 1ct RB. This transitional is slightly larger:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/102ct-Transitional-Cut-Diamond/21754709_Z5F3m9#!i=1734212702&k=k5pjDC7

My stone faces up small--cushions face up smaller and it's pretty deep (DF excitedly bought it knowing nothing about PS or diamonds, really). Even though it's not spready, thus, not very popular by PS standards, I am happy with it. DF was so thrilled to choose it and give it to me--how could I not love it?!? Plus despite being deep it had lots of fire and scintillation, so it seems bigger to me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuffyluvr, it has a TON of hand presence, I would have thought way bigger than 6.4mm! I think the thick band really adds to the whole thing. I'm with you, I love me a nice chunky band! :cheeky:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Laila! I do think that the thicker band and built up shoulders and high setting make it look a bit larger, like JuliaN said.

Nielseel--I agree with Julia. A higher profile will give the illusion of a larger stone. Low-profile settings are definitely more popular 'round these parts, but higher will give you the most hand presence, IMO. I was really concerned about how much I would smack my ring and get it caught on everything--clothes, hair, other people... But I have not had any of those problems.

As far as metal goes, again, I think it's preference and what looks good on your skin tone. I dont think the metal affects the appearance of size. Usually yellow or rose gold settings have a platinum or WG head to make the diamond look whiter. I think people typically use a YG or RG head to play up rosy or yellowish tones in lower colored stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results